1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

FFBE Unit Review - Enhanced Marie

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by TheRunawayGirl, Mar 13, 2018.

Should I start reviewing 5* ehnanced units?

1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    96.1%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. TheRunawayGirl

TheRunawayGirl KINGDOM HEARTS 3 BABY! VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Anything you might desire
    You asked for it, and you shall recieve.
    A skilled and cheerful green mage from Mysidia, and also a very energetic girl who enjoyes taunting her enemies after she’s enfeebled them with her magic.
    If you do not know who we’re talking about (which you should, considering the title), today I’ll be reviewing Marie along her enhancements. For sake of old times, I’ll be taking into consideration some of Jet Stingren’s remarks of this unit. If by any chance, it is inappropriate, I’ll re-write this. But I think using some remarks by a fellow reviewer who I admire quite a lot (don’t be jelly, Meme, love you to) is going to help making points clear.
    So, shall we start?
    [​IMG]
    A skilled green mage from Mysidia. Although most of the mages of her homeland, including those who are prominent, are considered to be strange characters in their own right, Marie stands out among them due to her unusually boisterous and energetic personality. Rumor has it that the comrades she supports in battle even enjoy watching her taunt the enemy after she has enfeebled them with her magic.

5[​IMG][​IMG] 6[​IMG][​IMG]

MAX Stats

HP – 3484 (+390)
    MP – 182 (+85)
    ATK – 118 (+26)
    DEF – 122 (+26)
    MAG – 131 (+26)
    SPR – 142 (+26)
    No innate elemental resistance; no innate ailment resistance

Equipment
    Weapons – [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Armor – [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ability Slots - 4, LVL 8 [​IMG]

Abilities

5[​IMG]
    Lvl 1 – Barfiraga: Increase fire resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies. MP – 22
    Lvl 1 – Barblizzaga: Increase ice resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies. MP – 22
    Lvl 1 – Barthundaga: Increase thunder resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies. MP – 22
    Lvl 19 – Sleep: Inflict sleep (40%) for one enemy. MP – 3
    Lvl 19 – Blind: Inflict blind (40%) for one enemy. MP – 3
    Lvl 19 – Silence: Inflict silence (40%) for one enemy. MP – 3
    Lvl 26 – Imperil: Reduce all elemental resistances (20%) for 3 turns to one enemy. MP – 15
    Lvl 34 – Lovely Guard: Increase resistance to blind, sleep and silence (100%) for 3 turns to all allies. MP – 34
    Lvl 48 – Sweet Lullaby: Inflict sleep (30%) to all enemies. MP – 20
    Lvl 71 – Focus: Increase MAG/SPR (40%) for 3 turns to all allies. MP – 48
    Lvl 80 – Reflect: Reflect 1 magic spell taken for 3 turns to one ally. MP – 25

6[​IMG]
    Lvl 15 – Barwaterga: Increase water resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies. MP- 22
    Lvl 15 – Baraeroga: Increase wind resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies. MP – 22
    Lvl 15 – Barstonga: Increase earth resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies. MP – 22
    Lvl 41 – Anti-Element: Decrease all elemental resistance (40%) for 3 turns to all enemies. MP – 50
    Lvl 66 – Protectga: Increase DEF (40%) for 3 turns to all allies. MP – 24
    Lvl 66 – Shellga: Increase SPR (40%) for 3 turns to all allies. MP – 24
    Lvl 83 – Dualcast: Allows the unit to cast 2 spells per turn
    Lvl 100 – Love You All: Increase resistance to all elements (50%) for 3 turns to all allies. MP – 60

Passives
    SPR +30%
    Auto-Refresh
    Prism Veil – Increase resistance to all elements (30%) increase resistance to sleep and silence (100%)
    MP +30%
    Punishment – Chance to counter physical attacks (30%) with Punishment
    Punishment –
    (25%) Decrease fire and water resistance (50%) for 3 turns to all enemies
    (25%) Decrease ice and wind resistance (50%) for 3 turns to all enemies
    (25%) Decrease lightning and earth resistance (50%) for 3 turns to all enemies
    (25%) Decrease light and dark resistance (50%) for 3 turns to all enemies

Your Guardian – Chance to counter magic attacks (30%) with Your Guardian
    Your Guardian –
    (25%) Increase fire and water resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies
    (25%) Increase ice and wind resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies
    (25%) Increase lightning and earth resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies
    (25%) Increase light and dark resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies

Limit Burst MAX – Magical Prism: Reflect 1 magic spell taken for 2 turns to all allies, and lower LB cost (16 LB -> 12 LB)

Pros
    Best Green Mage Possible: Marie is probably the best, if not only, perfect Green Mage in the current and future meta. She’s the only unit that solely focuses on elemental resistances, able to increase 2 elemental resistances in one turn thanks to the Bar-ga Spells + innate DC combination. She can reliably apply resistance to all elements, either by 70% or 50% with Love You All. If you ever have trouble with element attacks, and you have Marie sitting on bench, maybe it’s best if you give her a chance.

Imperil/Support Counter: Marie has 2 counter abilities, Punishment and Your Guardian, which imperil or raise elemental resistance, respectively. All of her imperils are 50%, and her elemental resist is 70%. This is going to be talked about in more detail in cons, since it is rather gimmicky…

Cons

Random Counter: I already said I would be talking about this… Marie’s Punishment and Your Guardian are random to which it’ll use. It’s a 1-in-4 chance of you getting what you need if you rely on her counter too much. While it’s certainly useful (especially considering she doesn’t have 70% light and/or dark resistance innately), it’s not reliable.

Outdated Kit: Some of Marie’s kit is just outdated, plainly useless. Sweet Lullaby, Focus, Blind, Sleep, Silence, Protectga and Shellga are all completely outdated with the introductions of better buffers, like eSoleil, eRamza or Roy, and ailments such as blind, sleep or silence being mostly resisted by many bosses. So, what does that leave us with? Mostly the best of her kit, but it still leaves her too linear, which might not be the best in some cases. On her own, she can’t do much. With TMRs, however, that’s a different story…

TMR – Rainbow Robe (Robe, obviously): DEF/MAG/SPR +45, increase all elemental resistance (30% except Dark)

Best defensive robe in the game. Don’t believe me? Sure, go doubt around. But you’ll definitely want this TMR for someone like Mystea, Basch (for magic cover) or even Marie herself. ‘Cause why not have a fully elemental resistant support, eh? (Tbh, my Marie set uses her own TMR)

Arena – Yeah… Marie doesn’t shine well here. While she does have a very good AoE 40% imperil, that’s all she really can do. Nothing much, since the Arena AI is still pretty dumb…

Comparison
    Any unit that does the same job as Marie is completely outclassed by her when it comes to elemental buffing. While she only lacks light and dark resistance reliably, she can still cast resistances twice as fast as others.

Regarding Cerius, Marie has innate fire, water, ice, wind, thunder and earth -ga spells, while Cerius has only fire, ice and thunder as -ga spells, but she does have the dark by 50% with an ability that also increases petrify for 3 turns.

So, yeah. Marie is a way better green mage than Cerius, Chloe, Minfilia or Olif. No doubt

Enhancements

Now here’s the part I wanted to talk about: Marie’s enhancements. So, let’s check ‘em out, okay?

Starting off with Reflect. Fully enhanced, Reflect returns 3 magic spells with the same turn duration. Niche for some bosses, but not that big priority for enhancing.

Next, Lovely Guard. Before, it was a niche blind, sleep and silence resistance for 3 turns. After enhancements, it becomes an all ailment resistance + DEF/SPR by 40% buff. Very, VERY good for bosses like Echidna or Malboro, who love to give hell with status ailments. The DEF/SPR buff is just an added bonus, but definitely works.

Finally, the jewel of the crown (in my opinion)… Love You All. While it doesn’t increase the elemental buff, it increases the duration from 3 to 5 turns, and has a whopping 10k HP with 15x modifier Regen for 5 turns. This is great for matching healer + support, and guaranteeing full HP at ALL TIMES (expect if you have Ayaka… Ayaka can do that on her own).

So, which ones should you enhance first and foremost? Her 2 abilities, Lovely Guard and Love You All. After that, you can enhance Reflect just for the sake of enhancing.

Extra - Future 7* Meta
    Marie is one of the first 7* that JP brought in their new meta. And what did they do? Well, they certainly didn't change her kit too much. Still too linear, solely focused on elemental resistance and support. But she does have good abilities, honestly.

Starting off, she gains "Monochrome Guard", a 70% light/dark resistance for 3 turns. Same as any Bar-ga spell, with the difference that she can't dualcast it. She also has (correct me if wrong, because the name's super cheesy) "Love Love Sprinkle"... Not making that up. But the ability on its own is very good. It's a ST 2000 HP Barrier for 3 turns, and also recovers 45 MP to whoever recieves it. Nice. That means that whichever unit you choose to use this ability on will basically recieve 2k damage less, since the barrier will take that damage first (at least, that what people claim... I don't play JP)

Her Cooldown Ability, "Excesive Lover" (again, not making it up) is an AoE 100% All elemental resist, 1 Turn 100% DEF/SPR boost, and 50% Damage Mitigation. OP at its finest. Mind you, however, that it's very expensive (120 MP), and also has a 7 turn cooldown, meaning you cannot spam it.

Her Trust Ability, which requires her own TMR, grants +40% DEF/SPR, and decreases her chances of being attacked by 100%. Yes... You're reading right. 100%. Unless it's AoE, no boss is gonna notice her whatsoever.

Her other passives are HP +20%, which makes her much more resiliant, and "Intensifier" gives her +20% MP, and +20% all elemental resist, capping at 50% all elemental resistance when adding to Prism Veil. Very, VERY useful.

Conclusion
    Marie was good, but eMarie is great. Just set her HP, MP and SPR, and let her go. With ~400 SPR, she can heal 2k per turn with her Regen —same as regular Curaga. Marie’s ability to increase elemental resistance quickly and with no problem at all is truly useful for trials.

Her Lovely Guard now has competition with Mystea’s Clear Veil, but it’s safe to assume that, with either, you’ll be getting a different niche with the same results —all ailment resistance for 3 turns, DEF/SPR boost or stop resistance.

So, what do I think? Marie will remain atop the green mages in the game, for both current and future meta. Unless GUMI decides to make a GE green mage that does Marie’s job better, Marie will hold the crown of green mages for all eternity. She truly is a master among green magi…

As for 7* meta, Marie's job doesn't change one bit. She still focuses solely on elemental resistance, and support. But she just gives more niches, nothing else. You can still have her using Pod or Rikku's Pouch with ease if that's what you want to do. That way, she does gain some new tricks under her sleeve.

Thanks for reading, and hope you enjoyed it!

Edit: The LB is bugged, and I was right on that. But not in the point I spoke of. ::think::

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Lyra, lceman, Malferus and 11 others like this.
  2. Mark (Laswell)

Mark (Laswell) Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Loren and Barbie
    If it is the same as with most games, just means it will take the first 2000 points of damage. So if you were going to be hit with 4000 points of damage you would only be hit by 2000 points worth.

3. TheRunawayGirl

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ahhh...
    Then it's certainly super good. Didn't know that existed in FFBE. They added it with 7*, maybe?

4. Mark (Laswell)

Mark (Laswell) Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Loren and Barbie
    I think proper term would be Fixed Damage Mitigation, as it does not fluctuate like the others with percentages. You know what you are getting :)

5. TheRunawayGirl

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ooooooh... Complicated.
    But if it "absorbs" the damage by a fixed ammount, still good for tanks. Means they'll take slightly less damage on that turn.

6. Winzett

Winzett Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    eMarie hold a very special place in my heart. She was the unit that made me dare try all the trials Gilgamesh and upwards. Before I pulled her, all the descriptions of status ailments from the trials scared me :P Since I don't have Ayaka or Tilith, eMarie has been my main healer in every trial except for Wicked Moon and Malboro (sometimes along with CK Ariana). Love You All works surprisingly well in 10-mans where you can just buff some units with it, switch on and off, and they'll have a strong regen + ele resist for 5 turns. My personal trial MVP unit, which is why I've used a Marie flair on /r/ffbe for about half a year now :D

TheRunawayGirl likes this.
  7. Cannon engineer

Cannon engineer Ascended Member Supporter

Yeah, sadly, Ayaka does it far better than Marie :( , even though this kind of skill should be green mage's skill

8. TheRunawayGirl

Global ID:
    Leads:
    ...While I do agree, Ayaka is Ayaka.
    Tbh, doesn't surprise me that she has it. Ayaka will always be Ayaka.

9. Fauco

Fauco Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    434 866 513
    Leads:
    Veritas of the Light
    I understand it as:
    She put a "shield" on the target, that "shield" have 2000 HP, and it take damage befor the target.

10. Cannon engineer

Cannon engineer Ascended Member Supporter

I mean, if Marie gets AoE Barrier like Ayaka for her CD skill, she still won't be too broken like Ayaka :(

11. TheRunawayGirl

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Which would make sense.

12. Zenakh

Zenakh Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Emperor
    Imagine how much better eMarie would be if she had eProtectaga with 30% physical mitigation and eShellaga with 30% magical mitigation.

I've been using Marie as a part of my team for ages. She started out strong, got a lot from her enhancements, and will pretty much always be near-optimal due to her being the best in a useful but vary narrow skillset.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    TheRunawayGirl likes this.
  13. TheRunawayGirl

Global ID:
    Leads:
    That's why giving her Pod or Rikku's Pouch is good. She can have dead turns to use something there instead of defending.
    I'm more towards Pouch, since she already has a strong Regen XP
    Also... GUMI ain't ready for physical and magic mitigation on Protectga/Shellga...

14. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/Ayaka/S.Nichol/Barb/Lilith
    Marie is one of the 5* I really want to have. Her kits are so unique and fantastic (heal and elemental resistances). I hope she will appear from the crystal for me one day. lol

15. TheRunawayGirl

Global ID:
    Leads:
    If I wish you luck to get Marie, will you give me luck to get Ayaka or CG Sakura? I have 4 Maries... Not giving them now due to 7*, but if I could, would give you a 5th if I get a 5th XP

16. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/Ayaka/S.Nichol/Barb/Lilith
    Believe me, you don't want my luck which will likely give you VoL (I have 3x of her already ::cry::.)

I wish you luck to pull CG Fina (I assume that is what you mean by 'CG Sakura' ;) ).

Edit: Speaking of which though, this 'damage reduction' barrier is a very interesting mechanics. I don't play JP and I don't know how it is exactly implemented. In some other games, this type of mechanics sometimes is implemented such that a high-damage hit is more effective than smaller multiple hits. Or sometimes, this barrier has a different damage mechanics than usual, e.g. has it owns innate damage mitigation on top of everything else.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  17. moonlights

moonlights "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    VoL, Charming Kitty, Dark Veritas, TT.
    I don't have Marie, but she certainly seems awesome! I do believe you should do more reviews, I enjoy them :) especially the 7* part, I really liked that and I think it might be pretty useful for many players including new ones!

18. TheRunawayGirl

Global ID:
    Leads:
    No. I want the loli.
    I NEED THE LOLI

Milarion likes this.
  19. Emeiru

Emeiru Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orly
    I'm loving this review because I got Marie lately! I think I already enhanced her. Might want to try out the trials once I geared her (never tried Aigaion and up).

20. TheRunawayGirl

Global ID:
    Leads:
    I wonder... Who were the guys who voted no?
    Wanna come tell me? ::rudecat5::