1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

First Impressions: Ukiyo

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Xon, May 26, 2018.

What's your opinion of her?

1. She's cool!

24 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Meh.

37 vote(s)
    37.8%
  3. Nup.

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Loli's will rule the world.

30 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. Xon

Xon Ascended Member

Just wanted to share my short first impressions from the viewpoint of a minnow.

For reference:
    https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Ukiyo

TL;DR:
    -Sucky base stats. They are 4* level just like all free 5*. Not surprised.
    -Support first, damage second.
    -Mostly single target.
    -Surprisingly usable chaining frames with her support moves.
    -If you got extra LB pots, she has a light/dark LB 13.8x mod with stop attached.
    -No W-Skill, but if she had it, she'd have a place on vet teams.
    -Very specific usage, but is still a solid 7/10 imo.
    -3 turn rotation. Great candidate for Pouch or Barusa TMR.
    -TMR is meh. Solid for new players though. Speaking of new players...

New players:

You can make an entire team with her, funny enough. All you need is a tank, and a decent healer, then you can get 2-4 of her and chain with her since she provides AoE mitigation, AoE SPR break, light imperil, light magic chain on a single target, or just spam Dragon Charm for AoE clearing on Clouds event. You can even clear the ELT raid like this. If you are really new, the 5* Ashe you got after the tutorial will work wonderfully with Ukiyo. :)

Important!
    -Her damage frames have a long start up. So for optimal use, you use the skill to proc the debuff she will give the enemy, and then let your chainers do their work. You really dont bring her to take a DPS spot, so think of her support damaging moves as a way to get your chains to max out faster, and just as a bonus. She is not a chainer (Unless you are a newer player, then Ukiyo Light Spell is pretty solid.)

Skill breakdown:
    Fox charm: 3x damage mod is meh. Chance to inflict Confuse/Blind at 100%. It will have very specific case use. When its needed, its 10/10, when you dont, 0/10.

Absorbing Talisman: Drain + ST light imperil. Meh.

Protective Talisman: This is a really solid skill. Lots of people bring Yan for her AoE 30% General Resist, but this only 20%. Its saving grace is the 50% light/dark resist. Great turn 1 skill if you cant OHKO the fight.

Tengu Charm: Holy jebus this is a great skill, it'd be busted if it was AoE. Too bad its ST. 60% wind imperil + 50% DEF break, plus a bit of damage... It even has solid chaining frames. This is OHKO territory if you need it. Probably her second best skill. 9-hit 7fr chain family. 122fr start up.

Dragon Charm: Again, great frames for a support skill with attached damage. 3 turn AoE 50% SPR break, low 2.5x mod though. 6fr chain family. 112fr start up.

Dance of Shadows/Light: This is where she will see the most use in harder fights. AoE 80% resist to Dark/Light for 3 turns. Thats... massive. Not much effort in gearing is even needed to resist after that.

Ukiyo's Light Spell: 4.5x Light dmg mod. Actually great for a free unit, easy to eyeball chain too. This is where its sad for no W-Skill. 10fr chain family. 72fr start up.

Tsukumo's Transformation > Demon Tsukumo: Another "unlock" type move. Demon Tsukumo is a weird 5-hit. (fr 42-8-8-8-11) Probably would see use if you have a team that wants to push past a threshold, but you brought her for support. Then again, you'd probably just use her LB in that scenario.

LB - Tsukumo's Descent: 9.0x mod at level 1, 13.8x mod at level 25. 30% chance to stop. Light/dark damage. This is actually pretty good for a free 5* unit. The frames are meh, but the damage is there. If you bring her for support, and wanna push past a threshold, this is what you probably will use.

Final thoughts:
    Base stats aside, she has a lot of decent stuff in her kit. I liked using her with Ang and Fohlen. Her best partner is probably Ashe or ATK-based Lila(with Kaiser Knuckle esp). What will probably end up happening is you will find 1 of the skills in her kit, use it, and then use her for Rikku's Pouch, or Barusa's TMR. Probably also solid with Sephiroth teams considering he double imperils light/dark.

I hope they change it so GL will get a mediocre 7* form of her (cuz shes free). I think she's an interesting unit and I had fun messing around with her kit today.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Donpru, Volfan4life87, Nouk and 20 others like this.
  2. lcieThanatos

lcieThanatos Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    I liked her a lot. I use 2 of her w Shantoto and Ashe. Sadly I don't have barb.
    I will keep 6 for expeditions too ::blackmage::::boco::

Xon likes this.
  3. Dragoon87

Dragoon87 Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lotus Mage Fina, Raegen, Noctis
    To bad Dragon Charm doesn't have a fire imperil Dragonlord users would flip

Sarutobi and Xon like this.
  4. Fencat

Fencat Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Tidus, Fry, TT
    Nice write-up, thank you for this!

She looks interesting for a free unit for sure, will atleast level 1 of her ::up::

BTW anyone know if she ranks high on any expeditions?

Xon likes this.
  5. Xon

Xon Ascended Member

No joke. I wish Dragon Charm did have some kind of imperil.

I still think she'll see small amounts of play in harder content. Basically anytime you need light/dark resist, you cant really do better than her. Wind team OHKO also will love her.

Dragoon87 likes this.
  6. Caliber

Caliber "Hall of Fame" Member

Ukiyo is perfect with ang tempest arrows

Xon likes this.
  7. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Ascended Member

Leads:
    DW Light Sephiroth 1138 ATK
    95 atm
    I feel like this is some kind of arcade fighting game review with all the frame talk. You know, like frame trapping, okizime, reversals, all the good shit. Great write-up though. You should've turned it into a review. It basically looks like one.

Emeiru and Xon like this.
  8. wilstreak

wilstreak Well-Known Member

She is the probably the best free 5* unit to date. She is very niche and specific, but when you use her, she is one of the best in her class.

Unlike Ysh, Lara and Kelsus (lol) who is already powercreeped beyond recognition in their own role.

Xon likes this.
  9. Sunlight

Sunlight Ascended Member

Best free unit at the moment. I wonder if you can add all the chain units that she can chain with so that it will be easier for noobs like me to see instead of finding which units she chain

Xon and Valcrist like this.
  10. Xon

Xon Ascended Member

Funny you should say that. Back when Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Street Fighter 3: Third Strike were a thing, I was playing competitively on the east coast circuits in the US. I talked strategy and reviews on forums back then as well. Old habits die hard, I suppose.

Try this: https://brave-exvius.com/threads/lets-chain-together-kupo.34316/

Something you will need to figure out for yourself is what kind of player you are. Like, I don't really adhere to meta because I run a 3rd damage dealer instead of a 3rd support. Typically, as long as you are close on the frames, units can work (which is kind of what Ukiyo is doing here).

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Sunlight and Dreagon like this.
  11. Arkadi

Arkadi "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Something relevant for current events
    h3pc4t and Xon like this.
  12. Xon

Xon Ascended Member

13. Veritas of the Wine

Veritas of the Wine Miss Vanjie VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Seph/Fry. JP: 7 star e.Seph
    Never used her on JP, TBH. Might consider her on GL, as I have two Barbs she can imperil for.

Dreagon likes this.
  14. Dreagon

Dreagon Ascended Member

Same here, I usually tend to go physical damage route when possible, but she may bring my two barbs off the shelf to see what I can come up with.

15. Dicknyolips

Dicknyolips Active Member

Too bad fixed dice cant be used for mag dmg id say her demon tsukumo would be OP ::scream::

16. Kaisinel

Kaisinel Ascended Member

LB not worth if were not new right? I feel like even though it's high I wouldn't be bringing her to an actual fight. Anyone else feel the same?

17. Arkadi

Arkadi "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Something relevant for current events
    Only if I needed dark and/or light resistances and felt her additional kit was more worth it than bringing someone like Minfilia.

18. Xon

Xon Ascended Member

If you are a higher level player, she has only 3 main things you would use her for.

AoE 80% resist to Light or Dark - Best in the game currently.
    AoE 20% Damage Resist 50% resist dark/light - Really powerful turn 1 if there is dark/light damage (Esp for cover tanks) Assuming you dont OHKO it.
    ST -50% DEF break, 60% Wind Imperil, 1.8x dmg - Chain frames are ok, but this move is better than Yan's. OHKO territory for wind teams. (Esp Kaiser knuckle users, Ang, or Fohlen, etc)

If you don't have specific uses for those 3 moves, and you are a veteran player, shes mediocre. If you are new to intermediate, she's actually quite nice.

19. Vatenkeist

Vatenkeist "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Leads:
    Flavor of the last Year
    Thank god for ace...and delita. zzz