1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

[Free Unit] Untamed Wolf Edel

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Obstkeks, May 22, 2020.

1. Obstkeks

Obstkeks "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Edward|UW Edel|AC Cloud|Delta Sakura
    Greetings, ladies and gentlemen. Today, I don't know how to write my proper introduction. Is Obstkeks burnt out? No, but my muse was staying in bed when I got up this morning and prepared myself for work. And then my muse went away, maybe for getting some cigarettes. So, who do we have today? Untamed Wolf Edel? And she's what, another free damage dealer? Sigh. Maybe I'm going to call her "Wedel" (for non-german speakers, "Wedel" is german for "frond" or "fan") as in "give her a pass". Or Uwe (such a beautiful name), like in Uwe Boll. So let's head into it.

Untamed Wolf Edel (by Obstkeks)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7★ Stats (door pots included)
    HP:
    4812 (+810) | MP: 248 (+135) | ATK: 210 (+97)
    DEF: 194 (+60) | MAG: 146 (+60) | SPR: 188 (+60)

Equipment
    Weapons:
    Dagger | Sword | Great Sword | Katana | Axe | Hammer | Spear | Whip | Throwing | Gun | Mace | Fist
    Armors: Hat | Helm | Clothes | Light Armor | Heavy Armor

Trust Master Reward (Hat)
    Nightbringer Wolf's Hairpin - ATK+45, Increase resistance to ATK break (50%)

Super Trust Master Reward (Materia)
    Fenrir Synergy - Increase HP/MP (35%), Increase Fenrir's bonus stats (30%), Increase ATK (200%) at the start of a battle (max 1 time)

Overview
    U.W. Edel's base stats do look promising, with ATK and ver good HP/DEF/SPR. Her passives (with her Trust Ability) are acceptable, with 160% unconditional ATK, 60% DEF, 40% HP, 30% SPR and 20% MP - a little bit in terms of HP and SPR. She gains another 20% HP/MP when euqipped with a gun and 20% SPR when equipped with a fist. If you really need the bulk, this might come in handy, maybe lowering her ATK (depending on your gear).

As a true dual wield unit, she can equip two weapons, gains the 6x chain modifier and has innate 100% TDW (with Trust Ability). Furthermore, she has 150% innate beast killer (50% coming from her Trust Ability), innate charm resistance (which is pretty nice to have on a free unit), a 7% MP regen, gains 2 Limit Burst gauge per turn, has 50% innate dark resistance and 1-turn 75% Physical/Magic damage mitigation (altough locked behind two counters). And last but not least, innate guts with her Trust Ability, meaning she is able to survive damage (100% chance) that would otherwise kill her once while alive. Pretty good for a free unit.

Like all esper units, she increases the bonus stats she gains from her equipped esper - 50% for Fenrir (and only for him), in her case. You want to skip that, for Fenrir is the last esper you want to use on a damage dealer - he has no killer passives after all.
    Her equipment selection is great, and while she's able to imbue and imperil two elements, she has a wide variety of weapons with different elements and additional killers - she can, for example, equip all 1-handed trial weapons we received from the Scorn trials. Her event gun Nightbringer Wolf's Handgun+ can be used if nothing better is available. She also gains the 50% HP/ATK bonus from Beloved Edel (altough no mod increase), but this locks her to earth damage.

Her Trust Master Reward is not too shabby. Hats with flat 45 ATK are still good, even though it could have used some defensive stats. The additional effect is rather useless - most buffers or healers can cast a 100% break resistance.
    Her Super Trust Master Reward is interesting, to say at least. 35% HP/MP can be useful for your healer or supporter. The auto-buff is nice, as U.W. Edel has no innate ATK buff beside a small 110% ATK buff, and it's recasted if she dies and gets raised. With many recent supporter having an easy uptime on 200% AoE buffs, it's not needed however. Worth a grab though.

Skills
    U.W. Edel has the standard kit of a recent damage dealer, with different ST and AoE chaining skills (Stardust Ray and Aureole Ray), imbue and imperil (80% to 100%) for fire and wind, innate W-cast (already as 6★), an unlockable T-cast (only as 7★), a killer buff and self regen and heal. Her "support" skills are a 3-turn AoE 150% LB fill rate, a 3-turn AoE 110% ATK/MAG buff and a 3-turn AoE killer buff attached to her LB. But let's look deeper into her abilities.

Nightbringer Wolf's Aura
    A AoE 1-hit attack with a 2.5x base mod (that can go up to 6.5) that has a 3-turn AoE 110% ATK/MAG buff attached to it. If you don't have better external buffs or her STMR, this might come in handy to buff her own damage, but it can be kipped in most cases for sure.

Stomp
    Her only ST skill, coming with a base mod of 3.2x, enables her T-cast for 2 turns. With her self buffs having a long cooldown (10 turns), this might come in handy after she dies. 2 turns are way too short however.

Thirty Punch Combo (Fe) | Invigorating Shot (Fe) | Back For More (Fe) | Wolf Pair Assail
    Thirty Punch Combo (Fe)
    is a neat little AoE skill that uses Aureole Ray frames, so good for building up long chains. The additional 150% LB fill rate is okay to have, but most supporter can do better (if needed).
    Her next chaining skill Invigorating Shot (Fe) is a nice source of MP refresh (only for herself though) if she should run out of MP and comes with a 5.4x base mod that can go up to a 13.4 mod. It sure lowers her damage, but could be useful at some point.
    Skills like Back For More (Fe) are pretty interesting. A ST chaining skill with a 5.9x base mod that provides a 2000 HP barrier and 30% reraise (on herself) that lasts 3 turns. Even though it's pretty standard for a healer to have reraise, I do like the concept of units being able to set their own reraise up - it gives your healer the possibility to do something different instead. And it can be casted among her main chaining skill after all, so she doesn't lose a turn of her rotation (only some damage).
    Wolf Pair Assail is another AoE chaining skill, this time with a 3-turn beast killer buff on herself. It might come in handy against beast type enemies.

Fire Wolf's Fist | Wind Wolf's Shot | Twin Howls | Heaven-Earth Assault (Fe)
    Fire Wolf's Fist
    and Wind Wolf's Shot are two of our more important skills with an imperil (80%) for either fire or wind, a matching imbue (both lasting 5 turns) and Stardust Ray frames - everything I would want from my damage dealer.
    But because 80% is not enough, Twin Howls delivers 100% imperils for both fire and wind at the same time. Again attached to AoE Stardust Ray frames with a 5x base mod.
    And last but not least, we have our main chaining skill Heaven-Earth Assault (Fe). AoE, Stardust Ray frames, with a 11x base mod that can go up to a 27x base mod. Nothing to high, but more than enough for recent and even some future trials.

Omen of the Alpha Wolf | Shining Art - Gleaming Roar Strike [Cooldown skills]
    Our first cooldown skill Omen of the Alpha Wolf is available from turn 1 on and has a long 10 turn cooldown. It's effects, however, are insane, and it doesn't need to be recasted as long as U.W. Edel doesn't die or get dispelled. Why? Because all buffs last for 999 turns. Which include: a 500,000,000 HP heal, a 1,000,000 MP refresh, a 200% LB fill rate, additional 4x mod for all her damage skills and T-cast. Yes, even her T-cast is permanent.
    Her second cooldown skill Shining Art - Gleaming Roar Strike sets up her biggest burst. Available from turn 5 on with a 5 turn cooldown, it is a 1-hit finisher with a AoE 74% DEF break, a AoE 120% fire and wind imperil and a 50x base mod (that can go up to 58x). If casted before two casts of her chaining skills, she is able to self-cap it.

Shining Art - Nightbringer Wolf Extinction [LB]
    15 hits, AoE and a base mod of 42x. 38 crysts are not difficult to get, especially with her 200% LB fill rate buff, but unless you desperately need the 50% physical killer buff for your units, it's better to just skip it. The damage is to low after all.

Build, Rotation & Math
    As always, the build doesn't have to the best one (I might have overseen certain items or combinations). STMR aren't considered, no esper used because those are situational (killers), last materia slot left open for killer materia or bulk.

Right hand: Darksteel Destroyer HP+20%, ATK+181, ATK+20% (IW :HP/ATK +20%)
    Left hand: Longinus (FFBE) HP+20%, ATK+190, ATK+20% (IW :HP/ATK +20%)
    Head: Nightbringer Wolf's Hairpin ATK+45
    Body: King Rain's Armor HP+10%, ATK+28, DEF+45
    Accessory 1: Hermes Sandals (FFV) ATK+40
    Accessory 2: Hermes Sandals (FFV) ATK+40
    Materia 1: Fierce Greatsword User ATK+70%
    Materia 2: Crossing the Land ATK+70%
    Materia 4: Warrior's Might ATK+60%
    Total: HP:10681, MP:459, ATK:3107, DEF:451, MAG:206, SPR:322

Post 150% ATK buff: 3,386 (right hand)
    Post 150% ATK buff: 3,377 (left hand)

Turn 1: Omen of the Alpha Wolf (CD) + Wind Wolf's Shot
    Turn 2: Twin Howls + Heaven-Earth Assault (Fe) x 2
    Turn 3: Heaven-Earth Assault (Fe) x3
    Turn 4: Heaven-Earth Assault (Fe) x3
    Turn 5: Shining Art - Gleaming Roar Strike (CD) + Heaven-Earth Assault (Fe) x 2
    Turn 6: Wind Wolf's Shot + Heaven-Earth Assault (Fe) x 2
    Turn 7: Twin Howls + Heaven-Earth Assault (Fe) x 2
    Turn 8: Heaven-Earth Assault (Fe) x3
    Turn 9: Heaven-Earth Assault (Fe) x3
    Turn 10: Shining Art - Gleaming Roar Strike (CD) + Heaven-Earth Assault (Fe) x 2

Turn 1: 538,460,416
    Turn 2: 8,420,574,083
    Turn 3: 10,530,438,316
    Turn 4: 10,530,438,316
    Turn 5: 15,476,994,789
    Turn 6: 9,356,862,064
    Turn 7: 8,420,574,083
    Turn 8: 10,530,438,316
    Turn 9: 10,530,438,316
    Turn 10: 15,476,994,789

Average 10 turns: 9,981,221,349
    Formula: [(ATK² * Chain Mod * Skill Mod) + (ATK² * Chain Mod * Skill Mod) + (ATK² * Chain Mod * Skill Mod)] * Imperil

Comparison
    ~ 116% of enhanced Tifa's 11 turn damage (8,563,446,927)
    ~ 103% of Paine's 6 turn damage (9,688,330,072)
    ~ 99% of Kadaj's 8 turn damage (10,047,253,205)

Beginner's guide
    For new players who start around this week, I highly recommend to grind the quests to get Untamed Wolf Edel as a 7★ with her TMR. For a free unit, she is a strong damage dealer, with overall constant damage and a higher burst on turns 5 and 10. She is easy to build (biggest challenge is to reach 200% TDW), and chaining partners should be around every corner, for Stardust Ray is one of the often used chaining families. The following build is a suggestion and features only items that can be achived trough the current event, story/world quests and early trials (that can be easily done with U.W. Edel).

Right hand: Nightbringer Wolf's Handgun ATK+120
    Left hand: Knight Rider's Blade ATK+125
    Head: Nightbringer Wolf's Hairpin ATK+45
    Body: Demon Mail ATK+10, DEF+55
    Accessory 1: Ifrit's Claw HP+10%, ATK+30
    Accessory 2: Hyper Wrist ATK+10
    Materia 1: Fenrir Synergy HP+35%, MP+35%
    Materia 2: Warrior's Intuition - ATK ATK+20%
    Materia 3: ATK +30% ATK+30%
    Total: HP:9864, MP:434, ATK:1646, DEF:365, MAG:146, SPR:244

With more progress, those items should be replaced by better ones. The build mentioned under Build, Rotation & Math is an example of how a late game U.W. Edel with several 5★ TMR and trial rewards might look like. Keep an eye out for Dual Wield materia and accessory like Onion Boots, Odin Synergy, Dual Form, Colorful Lei and Hermes Sandals.

Should I...?
    Another free unit that is great after all. Sure, U.W. Edel falls a little bit behind Kadaj in terms of raw damage and is even further away from our current meta, especially with War Hero Odin doing twice her damage. However, she's more than sufficient for current (and even future) trials, and an even better unit for new starters. And Dark Vision? Well, her damage should be enough for the earlier stages, with her burst coming in lately (two turns later than Kadaj).

Verdict: Crying with the wolves.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    h3pc4t, feitian87, Malferus and 31 others like this.
  2. Ashlag

Ashlag Avoid political talk here, it's a landmine Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Great shit, I swear
    19x
    I've seen clear of Behemoth King, a rather recent JP trial, using her as a DPS. She's a solid bottom-line everyone should get. Also units like her and Kadaj are why getting DPS isn't that interesting if they don't have something more than just damage (for example, bursts).

3. TheKillingJoke

TheKillingJoke Tiltbeard the Halfbald VIP

Global ID:
    833 586 843
    Leads:
    Wedel Kadaj Yshtola Rizer XWQL
    Thanks for the review!
    Started to look forward to your reviews.
    It's good to read, nice structure. Puns: 8/10. Uwe Wedel. Not bad! Builtup was a bit bumpy.
    She has the best sprite in the game in my book. Except that Physalis animations are more adorable. With only 4 STMR i even have 2 empty slots for survival/killers. With Beloved Edel she gets up to 22K HP in my account, which is also nice. Too bad she has no earth imperil in this version.

1.: Good to know that we must cast the CD at first :)
    2.: Thanks for the rotation
    I think sooner or later you get to review a Free Lightning. Tank version. If you go to the wiki, unreleased unit list, sort after "event unit" you should already see her. And others.
    Thank you for your time and effort!

Obstkeks, Scheich, Ferax and 4 others like this.
  4. iBuko

iBuko “Common sense is not that common” VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    868 418 572
    Leads:
    OdinR, Ed, Cloud, XWQL, 4WPhysalis
    THIS.

@Obstkeks nice job mate.
    Very clear and well written, as usual. :)

Obstkeks, Scheich, nox and 1 other person like this.
  5. ExHaseo

ExHaseo "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Thanks for this, I was curious how good she actually was. And it's all really useful info.

It's pretty disappointing that she's not better though. The way some people were talking about her, it sounded like she was a lot stronger for some reason. She's still the best partner I have for AC Tifa though, and I really like her sprite, so I'll be using her regardless.

6. BigNBald5

BigNBald5 CG Caius Ballad, please! VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    open
    Great Job. I dont care for how a unit looks, only in their usefulness to my teams needs. She is FREE. She does more damage constantly than a lot of other units, and if she survives the round, she begins the next round with FULL HP/MP and possibly 75% physical and/or magical damage mitigation. You cant ask for more in a PAID unit, let alone a FREE one.

I personally wont use her with the weapons listed, as those will go to my main damage dealer in DV, she will be the support chainer in DV for whomever is the main burst damage dealer. Guns and fists that we have high pretty high stats, plus she gets more survival. I would only build her like that if she was for a friend unit.

Good stuff tho!

Cylian likes this.
  7. Talien

Talien Element resistl0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    130/200 all resist SS Charlotte
    Ahem.
    [​IMG]

8. Cylian

Cylian "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    XWQL main.
    198ish
    Related of sorts, but this week is obviously the best week to IW her gun. The Unique + Rare would net you +60% Att already (the last can be HP if you like).

9. Lukahn

Lukahn VIP VIP

Great effort on the review!

10. Skye

Skye "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Edel/Yun, Regina, MWTerra, Rab
    First!

Thanks for the review! ;)

Second!

Why does she have almost nothing in common with Fenrirless Edel? Madam Edel does Earth and Dark (ok she's kind of a digger and underground it's dark and there's lots of earth). Fenrir's elements are Dark and Ice. Goody good. So combine the two and get... Fire and Wind? :eek:

Aeris, TheKillingJoke and Cylian like this.
  11. Cylian

Cylian "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    XWQL main.
    198ish
    My first few thoughts, yes.

And, yah, where's my manners ... thank you for the review, indeed. A good one as usual. ::up::

12. illy

illy i'll make a cup of coffee for your head VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    does she partner well with her vanila self?
    both are SR chainers yeh?

agreed to both!

TheKillingJoke likes this.
  13. TheKillingJoke

Global ID:
    833 586 843
    Leads:
    Only with outside imbue and imperil, because they have no matching elements. Earth imbue would be best because classic Edel deals higher damage and brings the higher imperil.

Skye likes this.
  14. SirSephy

SirSephy Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    I just added you on FFBE. Your ATK is high than both my unit and guest unit. I need your unit to clear Fenrir just for rewards. I'll be more than appreciated if you could accept me ^___^

15. Jianto

Jianto Ascended Member Supporter

Her sprite is really good

16. TheKillingJoke

Global ID:
    833 586 843
    Leads:
    Hey, no problem :)
    I fire the game up and accept your request, give it a minute. You want to battle the Fenrir Esper? If yes, i can reequip her according to that :)

Edit: Oh, you meant the Rapmaging Fenrir, okay :)
    Edit2: Rapmaging Fenrir. What a typo XD

SirSephy likes this.
  17. SirSephy

SirSephy Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Actually, I want to battle the bonus stage, rampaging Fenrir. I lost it at 45%... all I need a powerful unit enough to wipe him out in two turns ^__^

If you have a hundreds-- ever thousand requests. My username is same as here. My leader unit is Sephiroth ^__^ hope you will find me and accept ^__^ am so looking forward to beat it and get some nice rewards

18. Scheich

Scheich "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Leads:
    Event / Trial Units
    @Obstkeks Her Tmr is an Accessoire and her stmr an Materia. Not katana and materia ;)
    Great Review btw :) Enjoyed Reading it.

Obstkeks likes this.
  19. TheKillingJoke

Global ID:
    833 586 843
    Leads:
    Accepted your request. I get never ever requests :) I gave her a bit Beast Killer, so she makes more damage against Fenrir.
    Edit: Btw Fenrir uses "Death" on your provoking unit. Genji Shield makes immune to that. He also uses Ice magic damage. A unit with Mirage skill should help.

Here are his abilities:
    https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Howling_Mountains/New_Wolfsfang_Trial

SirSephy likes this.
  20. Talien

Talien Element resistl0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    130/200 all resist SS Charlotte
    Rapmaging Fenrir will wreck your shit with spells fueled by terrible rhymes.