1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Future Blue Magic units.

Discussion in 'General' started by North_Rock, Mar 25, 2020.

1. North_Rock

North_Rock Ascended Member

Global ID:
    283 496 936
    Leads:
    7 Tidus, DFina, SBDFina, 7 Nyx
    Since we now have blue magic in the game, what units are we likely to see come out with these mechanics? I know they've already done Final Fantasy 5, but it being my favorite and the first to use blue magic, I would love to see something like a Blue Mage Faris or something.

Seven likes this.
  2. Hollis

Hollis The toxic Jp elitist VIP

Japan ID:
    Leads:
    who knows?
    N/A
    Blue mage fina
    Kimahri
    Quistis
    Quina
    That's for now...
    I am certain there should be more... But blue mage system is still underused, pretty much..

Seven likes this.
  3. seilaoque

seilaoque VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    DPS for latest trial.
    19x
    the real question here is.... does it matter?

I mean, blue magic in this game is pretty much only regular skills locked behind clearing a certain event.... so... why bother? it doesn`t make any real difference whatsoever.

Skye, Seven, Regalia and 2 others like this.
  4. North_Rock

North_Rock Ascended Member

Global ID:
    283 496 936
    Leads:
    7 Tidus, DFina, SBDFina, 7 Nyx
    Well, I guess then expand the question. How can they do it better? Blue Magic is an iconic mechanics throughout much of the FF series. I think it's great that they are implementing it at least, but, ya, it's seems pretty whatever so far. How would you suggest they make it better/more interesting/more impactful? Personally I don't really know.

Seven likes this.
  5. seilaoque

seilaoque VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    DPS for latest trial.
    19x
    Blue magic doesn't really work in a game like FFBE....
    take, for example, FFVII where you had the enemy skill materia that learned some stuff you were hit with or FFVIII where quistis could learn some stuff she drew direcly from monsters.
    but the mechanic all around has always been a little bland....
    FFBE just kicks it up a notch and gives you some really whatever quests to do that teach you a particular skill.

in FFBE none of those approaches would really work because most enemies become unavailable once the event ends, and if you pull that unit much later.... not sure on how to implement it better.... but surely just make a random quest to unlock and make a random skill be labeled "blue magic" just because isn't doing any favors.

Seven likes this.
  6. Duke Zarrikos

Duke Zarrikos Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Usually Esther/Event/Event/Basch/Eiko
    Quistis and Quina will be like Kimahri in that they are the Freebie rainbow bonus unit for their CG Protaganist. and will probably have a similar quest set up to Kimahri to get their magicks.

7. b3l14l

b3l14l Senior Noob VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Personally I was disappointed in the Blue Magic mechanic of "take so and so on this mission to unlock this skill". I think they could have done it kind of like the steal skill. Have 1 section of the story open up, 1 or 2 skills available that u have to "steal" from the enemies. Maybe not even say which enemies, or make it a random randomly changing enemy, like bonus mobs in the KM events or something.

Hillgigas209 likes this.
  8. seilaoque

seilaoque VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    DPS for latest trial.
    19x
    IMO.... the most interesting way to implement Blue Magic would be something like.
    "I'm fighting this monster, and then I can use some of his skills against him"
    but this would be nightmare to implement and would make units that use this kinda stuff so situational that no one would really use them.... lol.

Cylian and Hillgigas209 like this.
  9. 808

808 Well-Known Member Supporter

The "original" blue magic system is seen when the bosses give ability materia. I'd assume blue magic units were originally to steal magic from bosses throughout the story, trials, and events.

10. victor sant

victor sant "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    437 540 226
    Leads:
    Edward, XuanWu, Kryla, Physalis
    They did blue magic very poorly on FFBE.

Blue magic should've been the trial materias with active abilities (some are even iconic blue magics) and blue mages could have benefits when equiped with the said materias. (for example they could have more materia slots exclusively for blue magic and bonus effect when equiped with them)

Rynal likes this.
  11. Jatabo

Jatabo Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Karten, A. Fryevia, Zargabaath
    I disagree with Blue Magic being useless: today I finally worked the courage to take down Aigaion Kai, and Kimahri was the MVP. Not only because of his emergency breaks and double Mirage; White Wind is an excelent healing spell (with regen to boot) and Mighty Guard is one of the best non-LB defense buffs we have right now.

What I do agree with is that all of the ability materias from past trials should have been retconned as Blue Magic spells as well.

Cylian, Rynal and Hillgigas209 like this.
  12. Khidir

Khidir Ascended Member

FFXI BLU or bust is how I really feel about the situation.

Lyra and Hillgigas209 like this.
  13. Hillgigas209

Hillgigas209 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    eAuron, e Lulu, bonus, Lenna, P. Cecil
    This unlock is ok ...but the rage: draw: and lore: skills are similar(?) and could expanded upon here(gumi plz make it happen!!)and...enemy skill materia yesss my fave!