1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

General interest in 4★ ratings?

Discussion in 'General' started by Obstkeks, Nov 9, 2019 at 8:37 PM.

Interest in 4★ reviews?

1. Yes, with said rules

18.9%
  2. Yes, but without said rules

16.2%
  3. Yes, but other rules - leave a comment

10.8%
  4. No

54.1%
  1. Obstkeks

Obstkeks "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elena|Godrea|King Rain|Karten|Other
    Greetings, fellows. It's late at night here and some thoughts came through my mind. Is there a general interest in reviewing 4★ base units anymore? With 7★ all across over the game, 4★ base are somewhat redundant. Even new players should have at least a small pool of 5★ base units.

But I still thought about targeting newer players, or players that just want to use some 4★ base units for easier trials etc. A rating of 4★ would have some limits however, especially when targeting newer players:
    1. No 4★ or 5★ TMR/STMR beside the unit's own (and only one copy) - 3★ TMR are easier to farm due to the larger amount of copies one can get
    2. Neither limited units nor their TMR
    3. Equipment from trials (Chambers) can be uses - friend units might be used to clear them
    4. No Adv. IV and V, because those require long farming, and by then players should have a larger pool of units
    Or do you would like to read some 4★ base reviews, but without said rules (except for STMR)? Or is it just so redudant that this idea should be forgotten right after?

The point is, that I'll like to write some reviews, but not about 5★ bases - @Memel0rd does a great job with that. But writing reviews is not that much fun when it is not appreciated. I know, one can say "Just do whatever you like".

[​IMG]

21er, Khidir, TheKillingJoke and 7 others like this.
  2. Masvroh

Masvroh "an elder brother" VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra, A2, Hyoh, Lilith
    I would love to see a review about non 5* bases. But without said rules. I would love to see their full capabilities. Some limited units may become a no. 1 on the rating so count them too.

The rating would become useful.... If we ever have the rumored non 5* base trials.
    Where will it be, Gimu??
    ::rudecat15::

3. Nemeko

Nemeko Ascended Member

Leads:
    7 star Esther
    Honestly if there is gonna be a real discussion about 4 star units not to diminish your plan I think there needs to be a discussion about what would be their more expensive counter part. Even as a new player I still got 5 star units and with a 5% boost to them in general we can't ignore the random 5 star unit. Not suggesting you say (this is the 7 star version.) but talking about potential 5 star units that could be used as replacements in the future so people can have an idea about the future rather then hoping they get meta units.

4. Arkadi

Arkadi Ludicrous Speed! VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Something relevant for current events
    There's not really much point to do 4* reviews anymore because you can get a 5* for free from the rookie quests. Even if Lightning isn't amazing anymore she still covers a lot of elements, making her suitable for the story missions along the way. You don't even need a real team (tank, healer, breaker, support, dps x2) until you start doing trials or harder (for beginners) event missions.

More like a list of usable units (with links to their wiki pages) from each category until you can get better would be more appropriate. The guides section has a new-intermediate player guide with a couple choices from each category except dps units over here: https://brave-exvius.com/threads/gu...mendation-for-new-intermediate-players.48419/

5. Cylian

Cylian Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther and Charlotte?
    188ish
    Similar to Masvroh view, I guess. Since this is more of a "do-it-for-fun", any rules can apply too. A full capability one would be great (do one for Yan if you can. Just to make the newbies jelly. ::joy:: ) ...

Otherwise, can also do one with a tweak of your rules.
    1. It's ok to at least mention 4* TMRs that makes the said unit better, right? Even a non-limited 5* TMR can apply here if it is really, really applicable. (For some strange reason, Mood Maker for Rikku came to mind.) The point of the review is to showcase what the said unit can truly do, hopefully in trial level fights, right?
    2. A mention would be fine, no? ::thonk::
    4. They are technically "free", right? Should actually be included, I feel. ::nerd::

Looking forward to your first review. ::up::

Masvroh, Obstkeks and Tamamo05 like this.
  6. Regalia

Regalia Professional Cat, Mayor of Zombietown VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    709 451 243
    Leads:
    Riku, Tsukiko, Elena, AK Rain, KM
    0xA3
    This resonates with me. For a long time, I was looking at people's advice on how to clear trials and such, and thinking "But what if I don't HAVE those units?"

Cylian, Masvroh, Nemeko and 2 others like this.
  7. Tamamo05

Tamamo05 "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Breaker or event
    I gave up making *4 review now that newer player already got their own team of rainbow even if not *7 ::joy::.

I wonder where is @TheRunawayGirl, never really see her that much this year. Too busy playing KH3? Irl stuff?

Also @PhaseShifter

I agree with this, if prompto still at *6, that tmr would be nice on rikku. With all the reraise and stuff. Maybe, "potentially useful tmr". Of course the salty would be... Uh... Salted?::salt::

PhaseShifter and Cylian like this.
  8. Tamamo05

Tamamo05 "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Breaker or event
    I see, an "a cheaper alternatives to popular/meta units" thread hm?

Cylian likes this.
  9. Regalia

Regalia Professional Cat, Mayor of Zombietown VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    709 451 243
    Leads:
    Riku, Tsukiko, Elena, AK Rain, KM
    0xA3
    Kind of. We talk about Riku in that way, she's a cheaper LM Fina for when you need reraise spam. Why not do that for other units? There are still a lot of trials that don't need a 7* team, after all.

Cylian and Tamamo05 like this.
  10. Nemeko

Nemeko Ascended Member

Leads:
    7 star Esther
    Atleast something in between. I mean for instance Orlandea is not a meta unit but he can push pretty hard especially for a new player and with DR frames means he has a easy to use family that most people learned chaining on.

I think if we are gonna talk about 4 star units it's for new people and the most frustrating thing as a new player is not being told about steps into getting meta units or stepping blocks. Looking at 5 units is fine for a vet we know what we are looking at but for a new player it might as well be a pink pin in a pile of red ones. It will also be helpful to review units that give you gameplay ideas that work in the future like Summertime Luka. Get people wanting chainers, elemental specific units and for a new player relative future proofing so they can work on a team with confidence rather then struggling in the wind.

Cylian, Tamamo05 and Regalia like this.
  11. Vodka

Vodka Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    329 090 027
    Leads:
    A bunch of pixels with big ATK number
    Number
    I love your idea helping new player, getting a good unit to help them progress.

But my point is, it's the 7* meta era now. Their play behavior will be similar to ours because we teach them that way from the moment they're still new to the game "to chase great 7* unit, forget other unit". To add to my point, there are huge pools of rainbow now, there are more ways to get rainbow now than before. Getting a 4* is nothing to them now, they would like to chase 5* as soon as possible.

So if you like to do a 4* unit review, How about reviewing 4* unit that is truly outstanding, that can even rival 5* base unit (the old era and the bad one of course, not the current meta unit).

For example the Great Dragon from Dragon Quest banner, believe it or not in term of damage, they can rival Hyoh before awakening and even surpass Orlandeu, they can easily beat The Mad Doll trial easier than old Hyoh. How about Vesvia a 4* great mage chainer, with I say better kit than old 5* mage. Or heck just talk about the old meta again, talk about Garnett with Bahamut trick, she's still a solid finisher. or still the greatest 4* tank WoL.

By reviewing them and bringing them back into the spotlight, you're giving new player better alternative unit for them to progress. They can use these great alternatives 4* unit to progress, rather than waiting for 5* unit.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 9:39 PM
    Cylian, Tamamo05 and Obstkeks like this.
  12. Vodka

Vodka Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    329 090 027
    Leads:
    A bunch of pixels with big ATK number
    Number
    Or if you like, how about reviewing 4* TMR and how useful they're in the future, which unit can use that TMR, should you chase that TMR?
    There are lots of 4* TMR, which are very useful and I still use a lot til now.

And lastly in my opinion, I would recommend, if you do a newbie tips and trick how to survive and grow all over again.
    FFBE is vastly different now than 2 years ago. It's harder for New player to survive due to power creep increasing week after week, making lots of new player quit due to unable to keep up with the power creep. It would be great if you can teach them how to survive in this new era of FFBE.

But hey that's just an opinion. a Vodka opinion, wait wat?

Tamamo05 likes this.
  13. Obstkeks

Obstkeks "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elena|Godrea|King Rain|Karten|Other
    I'm torn, to be honest. I like @Masvroh idea of just jumping the shark with 4★, going all in and just do it straight in a funny way. On ther other hand, I get that this might be a way to help new players, like @Vodka or @Nemeko suggested. Presenting a unit, Diezell for example (doing her kit on the wiki gave me idea, actually), showing that she's a good starter and even better than the one 5★ Lightning you get from the rookie quest (without copy for 7★ or enhancements), and then giving alternatives, like Orlandeau or, more meta-like, R. Lightning.

To be fair, I don't know if that is something that can be teached that easily. On one side, it runs down to "Do story, do events, save your ressources and look for strong units, recommended here in the forum", and on the other hand it depends heavily on the units one gets. Gacha for fun.

Cylian, Tamamo05, Vodka and 2 others like this.
  14. Soduh

Soduh Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    I've always been curious just to make fun party combos but eh. Tbh I dont even know why we have 3 star characters anymore. Half if not more have useless TMRs anyway. That said, I've been playing for years and forget what being a new player felt like so I imagine there's obvious uses for them.

After seeing some event 4stars on my list that have absurd stats when geared properly I do often wonder, though.

Tamamo05 likes this.
  15. Raelf

Raelf "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Zeno, Regina
    They didn't even release expert missions yet.

Masvroh likes this.
  16. Skye

Skye Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Regina, Kryla, Nyx
    There are a bunch of good 4* units that can be useful even if you have 7* units, until every role is covered. Some 4* units have good chaining moves, you can use them to take advantage of a strong finisher or chainer friend. Some of them have imbues, imperils, breaks or buffs that let you do stuff in niche cases that rivals 5* units.

Just recently I used Vayne because he could keep up good typed mitigation on my tank with a basic rotation. 5*s can do the same AoE, but I didn't really need AoE against Lantern... ;)

Cylian, Tamamo05 and Vodka like this.
  17. Ffber

Ffber Ascended Member

Global ID:
    There are couple still useful 4* or even 3*. Though like many have mentioned, unless players want to self-challenge themselves at trials, majority would just use 5* based units for survivability and damage. JP none 5* trials were not difficult and mostly gave JP ver. players something new to do.

Vets experienced 1% rainbow rate or even fake rainbow had gone through using 3* and 4* units era more or less, knowing how to utilize units' niche already. So the 4* review will mainly focus on new to mid level players. The thing is, most of them would opt to pick a 5* base and breeze through story, get lapis, pull more 5*, and go to older trials to acquire equipment.

But if writing 4* reviews gives you fun, why not? I don't find there is necessity to exclude limited units, either.

18. RaagisEd

RaagisEd "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Varies
    Lots of comments, i stopped reading half way through so maybe this is allready mentioned.

I don't think any new players will be helped by showing them a usefull 3*/4* base unit. Just get a strong friend unit and clear everything. Some exceptions maybe, but 80% if not more of the games current content can be one-shotted with a solo 7*. (So the exceptions that can be usefull for new players might be in chainers, breakers, buffers, imperilers, imbeuers so to assist said solo 7* friend unit oneshot stuff)

What would be usefull, although ffbeequips unit-search option is allready a solid thing, making a ranking in (physical/hybrid/magic) dps, (aoe/st/provoke/evade) tanks, healers, buffers and breakers. However since the 4* units have often a limited kit so they are often niche and can only work with a lot of ifs and buts. So that makes it very hard to rank them. But at least having a top 10 makes it easier to ignore the completely useless ones. (I recently went through all my 4* units to check the wiki page looking for solid units to be used to (re)do event reruns or other less challenging content, and i have a lot of them if not all and that is a lot of work ::nerd::)

Another thing that is usefull, and is missing as a weekly thread, is the TMR's of the (new) 3*/4*. Probably mentioned Diezell unit has a (conditional) 70% ATK TMR, or Therion unit a while back with his evade TMR, would be nice to mention those to new players while the banner is up.

Disclaimer: all the above is my opinion not facts. I am not a new player and i have options in my 7* pool, so 4* base is mostly for TMR, fun or added challenge.

19. victor sant

victor sant "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    437 540 226
    Leads:
    2B, Esther, Rena, Randi
    4★ Are largely irrelevant, except some VERY specific niches. I don't see worth on trying to rate them.

Not really, those low rarity trials are very weak and easy.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 6:11 AM
  20. Masvroh

Masvroh "an elder brother" VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra, A2, Hyoh, Lilith
    Another one-shot stuff? I see, so any 3* base DPS can clear it real quick.