1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

[Guide] Darkness Awakens - Progression and Crafting Items

Discussion in 'Guides' started by aa25, Sep 30, 2018.

1. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/Olive/Rena/Barb/
    New Raid and new items to craft. Shall we start ? (Well, I will start anyway, even if you say 'no', LoL).

Update: As usual, I'll only compare items with items that are always available and non-STMR. Items from limited events may be completely skipped. I consider STMRs available only to heavy spender or players who have been playing for a long time, even so their availability is pure luck-based.

Progression:
    • Omni Rod (Copy and paste from previous write-up with a slight modification): This is a very good rod. At 91 MAG, it is the 4th highest MAG rod in the game (behind, Emperor's TMR, Wicked Moon trial rewards, and Zyrus' TMR). At 91 MAG, it is quite high for a rod. You won't see a rod this strong from the Main Story. There is a Rod of Judgement (+82 MAG) that you can buy with 100 Star Quartz, but that is arguably a bad investment at the current state of the game. So I strongly recommend getting this rod if you can.
    Crafting: Crafting item this time is more or less a grab-bag. There is a solid/good/decent/bad all mixed together.
    • Avian Cloak (10 ATK, 27 DEF, 10 MAG, Clothes): This Cloth is not bad at all. First of all, it comes with 10 ATK which makes it somewhat valuable for DH/TDH build. Excluding STMR, it is the 4th highest ATK Cloth, behind Hyoh's TMR (28 ATK), Goken's TMR (20 ATK), Guide Clothes (14 ATK, limited event), and tied with Libetus' TMR (10 ATK). The 27 DEF is not really that useful for defensive purpose since there are many other clothes that provide higher DEF and also SPR along with it. The 10 MAG is a bit useless, imo. Unlike physical, magic DH/TDH is still very rare. When magic DH/TDH becomes more available, this clothes may be more useful for mages, but for now, it is not. And lastly, this cloth also provide Paralyze resistance. Not bad, although since this cloth is tailored pretty much for dmg dealers and paralyze is not the worst ailment for them (unlike tanks and healers). Nonetheless, if you healer have a hard time keeping up with healing and curing ailment, gear your team to have ailments resistance can greatly improve your team performance in trials.
    • Big Red Ribbon ( 200 HP, 5 DEF, 5 SPR, Hat): This one is terrible. For most units at 6* stats, 200 HP is equivalent to about 5-7% HP. If you want to improve your unit's survivability, going for different hats that give higher DEF and/or SPR is likely more beneficial. I would skip it, unless you are a collector (like me).
    • Bizarre Sculpture (10 DEF, 10 SPR, 10% MP, Accessory): Another not-so-good accessory. 10 DEF and 10 SPR is actually quite high for a typical accessory that gives flat DEF/SPR. However, if you want to improve your unit's survivability, 10% HP is more effective. The 'special' thing about it is the 10% MP, which may look nice for MP-hungry units. However, it is not. The combination of 10% HP and 10% MP is available from Domination Ring (10% HP, 10% MP, 10% ATK, 10% MAG, 5 DEF, 5 SPR). Thus, if you want to help your MP-hungry unit while improving his/her survivability, getting Domination Ring is a better choice. I would skip this one, again, unless you are a collector.
    • Empowered Gauntlets (68 ATK, light element, Fist): This weapon is so-so. Not bad, but not that good either. At 68 ATK, it is quite low. Being light element makes it a bit interesting. Light element is dominated by Orlandeau and his grand kid who prefer other weapon types and only a few can equip fist. This makes this weapon look better with a finisher for that family. However, with only 68 ATK and being one-handed weapon, it doesn't sound that good either. In the end, I think this weapon is ended up being useful only as a temporary option until you get a better light element weapon (which is not difficult at all).
      • Note that, this weapon may appear like it is made for Melphasie (see her sprite). In fact, this weapon is bad choice for her since it will make her attacks become dual-element which is usually a bad idea, although there is an exception this time (see next bullet point).
      • However, giving it to Melphasie will let her chain with light element DR chainers (eAgrias, Orlandeau, and Seph). In this case, Melphasie will imperil dark or wind element for the innate element of her chaining move, and the chain partner (either eAgrias, Orlandeau, or Seph) will imperil light for her. This will make it pass, even though it makes her dual-element.
    • Half Crescent Rod (15 ATK, 80 MAG, Rod): This is an okay rod. For new players, the highest MAG rod that you can easily get is 81 MAG (Rod of Judgement from Fat Chocobo - see note about Omni Rod above). This rod is definitely seviceable for a while, until you get a better 5*unit's TMR class rod (MAG ~120+). I would craft may be 1-3, just in case you want to build a DW mage for 10-man trial. For intermediate players, this rod may not be that useful. Note that, according to wiki page, both 15% MAG and 15% MP are only for Circe. (The 15% MP is not for any unit like what it sounds like in the in-game description.)
    • Raven Figurine (25 ATK, 25 MAG, Limited to 1 copy): This is good/solid accessory. It is obviously designed for hybrid dmg dealer, rather than phy or mag. If you are running a hybrid dmg dealer, this is definitely a good choice. For phy or mag dmg dealers, it may not look appealing, however it is actually quite valuable. For an accessory that gives flat ATK or MAG, 25 flat ATK or MAG is quite high. Certainly, there are better choices like Ifrit's Claw (30 ATK, 10% HP) or Earring (20% MAG, which is about 30-34 MAG for 20 Star Quartz). This accessory is quite useful for intermediate players who starts to hit 300% cap. For new players, this is still a decent accessory for phy and mag dealers. In the end, this is not bad to have at all.
    Alright, that's it. Please let me know if I missed anything. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Credit: https://exvius.gamepedia.com for number.

Edit: Add a note about what items I included in the comparison.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    bwnyc, DanM, Master Red and 4 others like this.
  2. Tanatos

Tanatos Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    838 612 439
    Leads:
    Hyoh,TT
    I think you forgot Wizard Rod+ that have 125 MAG.

3. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/Olive/Rena/Barb/
    I don't think Scorn of Surging Menace is that easy for everyone. You have to have a strong roster to a degree to build a team that can beat the last three bosses at least, especially the Kraken which drains your MP (the first two are not that hard).

4. GrimmXv9

GrimmXv9 "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    I got what ya need
    You forgot Cloud's clothes and Sephiroth's Longcoat.

5. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/Olive/Rena/Barb/
    They are from limited events. I usually compare with stuffs that are always available to help new players to plan forward.

Edit: I will add a note about this
    Edit 2: and they are light armor, not clothes.

GrimmXv9 likes this.
  6. GrimmXv9

GrimmXv9 "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    I got what ya need
    I just brought them up because they are non-TMR.

aa25 likes this.
  7. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/Olive/Rena/Barb/
    Thanks for double checking my scratchy write-up anyway. Always appreciated. :)

GrimmXv9 likes this.