1. Users are hosting a huge giveaway for the 2nd year anniversary event with $380 in prizes! - Check out the thread for more details here!
  2. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  3. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  4. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  5. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  6. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

[Guide] Dracotaur Lancer - Crafting/Progession/Summoning Items for New Players

Discussion in 'Guides' started by aa25, May 26, 2018.

1. aa25

aa25 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/eOlive
    Well, we get another awesome raid to farm a lot of goodies again.

First of all, copy and paste from my previous post with minor edits.

This guide is written specifically for New Players and all comparisons are made with non-limited and non-TMR items only, i.e. only items from the Main Story or easy permanent trials. Basically, if anyone decides to pick up the game right now, this guide should more or less reflect what he/she can obtain in a near future.

Progression:
    • Excalibur: 120 ATK, Greatsword, light element - This is Cecil's TMR. It is a very good greatsword that I would recommend you try to get it, even if you're casual player. It's ATK of 120 may not be one of the best anymore, but it is still a powerful weapon. Greatsword also has a free mastery that you can get from Dark Ifrit/Dark Siren Trial that will boost the unit ATK by 50% (of the base stats). Materia that boosts 50% ATK is already near the top (only a few that boost more than 50%). So being able to benefit from that while get to equip a strong weapon is definitely a big plus. Light element has both pros and cons. The good part is that it is commonly used by chainers in the main branch of Orlandeau family (Orlandeau, enhanced Agrias, and Veritas of Dark), and these units also gain ATK passive when equipped with a greatsword. So if you want to utilize any units in that family, this weapon is definitely the perfect choice. Fryevia and Sephiroth, who can technically chain with Orlandeau family, may or may not benefit from this. Fryevia prefers ice element and can't equip greatsword, so she won't benefit from this greatsword (unless you give her Garland's TMR to let her use Greatsword, but that is more or less not an optimal way, imo). Sephiroth can be built using Katana and Greatsword just fine (he needs Katana since he has a passive that procs when equpped with Katana). Keep in mind though, from time to time, we have bosses that have 100% or more light resistance. Against those bosses, this weapon is going to be useless, but that is not really a common scenario. Also, just in case you are wondered, if you get this greatsword, there is no need to try to farm/moogle Steiner's TMR (Excalibur II) which has slightly higher ATK. I don't think the improvement will make much difference, instead I would focus on other crucial TMR for your team (which depends on your team).
    • Ukiyo (Units): There is a nice review here. I won't repeat all the review here, but I would like to point it out here that she has a nice synergy with Excalibur-user. She has abilities that add 50% light imperil and 50% DEF break (two separate abilities), so you can boost damage output quite significantly with that (a factor of 3, if the boss can be DEF break). Keep in mind though, this is not a combo you should keep using. It is more or less a place-holder until you get your main damage dealer up and running with it's appropriate element and weapon(s).
    Crafting:
    • Elven Staff (Staff): 6 ATK, 64 SPR, +10% HP (Limited to 1) - A very nice staffs. Healers or tanks can both benefit from this. 64 SPR is roughly about 10 more SPR than other staffs you can get from the main story, the best part is that this staff comes with +10% HP which boosts the unit's survivability nicely. I feel like tank, even physical AoE cover tank, benefit more from this staff than a healer. The reason is that even a physical tank, they will take mag dmg from time to time, and you want to prepare for that. On top of that, there are only a few weapon (mostly staves) that will give your tank a defensive benefit, thus this staff is perfect for that.
    • Yin Yang Charm (Throwing Weapon): 25 ATK, 79 MAG, - This is a weird weapon. Most of the units who can use Throwing Weapon are physical dmg dealer, so having a big MAG of 79 won't help those units at all. However, there exist a handful of weird units who use Throwing Weapon and rely on MAG more than ATK, which makes this weapon a perfect choice for that. One notable unit is Veritas of the Light who has very very limited choice of equitable weapon, prefers Throwing Weapon and Gun, and a hybrid dmg dealer. This is one of the best weapon for her, imo. Set that aside, if we compare this weapon to other 'MAG-oriented' Throwing Weapon, this weapon is only slight worse than Hope's TMR which makes this weapon very good in that department. However, when it comes to weapon that provides MAG, you can get Wizard Rod (72 MAG) from one of the easy trial, which makes this weapon becomes not so impressive overall. If you don't have anyone who benefit from it. I would craft only one or two, or even skip it. If you have units that benefit from it, especially VoL, I would definite craft it for her.
    • Vestment of Prayers (Clothes): 21 DEF, +15% SPR - First of all, 15% SPR is roughly 25-30 SPR in the current meta. So this item is not really that impressive. You can craft Rubber Suit (32 DEF, 28 SPR) from a recipe you can get near the end of season 1. Although, once we get 7* units (rumors say it is soon-ish), the 15% SPR is equivalent to 30-40 SPR which makes this a bit more appealing. However, we may have a better options by then anyway (don't quote me on this). So I would say it is up to you if you want to craft this.
    • White Bandana (Hat): 9 DEF, +15% MAG - At first glance this hat looks similar to Vestment of Prayers. However, 15% MAG is equivalent to 25-30 MAG, which is a very nice stats on a hat. For example, Timotry's TMR which is a solid choice and arguable the third best hat for mag dmg dealer gives 35 MAG (granted Timothy's TMR also gives you other stats). So 25-30 MAG is not bad at all. Similar to what I mentioned above, when 7* meta arrive, 15% MAG will become close to 40 MAG for top-tier mag dmg dealer which makes this item very good to have. I would definitely try to craft at least two, may be more if you have enough material, just in case you need extras in 10-man trials.
    • Tsukumo Doll (hat): 1 DEF, 1 SPR, Gain 30% more exp from battle - The main point of this hat is obviously the 30% exp from battle. This is very nice if you just start and are still early in the main story line. This hat will help you level up your unit faster. Keep in mind though, the exp required to level up grows exponentially with level, at high level, say above 80, the most common and efficient (NRG-wise) way to gain exp is feeding units with Cactuar which doesn't benefit from this at all. However, from what I heard, the highest EXP per NRG spent that you can get is from doing the Chamber of Experience with one unit equipped with a bunch of TMR that gives similar effect. Personally, if you are a new player, I won't recommend farming those EXP TMR and go hitting Chamber of Experience at all. If you need EXP, just wait for Cactuar Dune or Raid event to farm for Cactuars. In the future, once you have enough TMR to make farming from Chamber of Experiance more beneficial, you can do that later. If you are still in the early part, you can craft up to 5 of this to help with leveling up fast early, but I won't recommend making this a high priority one (but it is cheap to craft anyway). If you have progress enough and start using Cactuar more than running through the story event, you can craft just one for the future when you are ready to hit Chamber of Experience, or even skip it if you want.
    • Kimino Vest (Robe): 30 DEF, 30 SPR - An okay-ish defensive Robe. Similar to the clothes above, if the unit can equip clothes and doesn't prefer Robe, Rubber Suit (Clothes, 32 DEF, 28 SPR) is a similar option that you can craft for any amount that you want. If not, there are handful of other Robes that give similar stats, e.g. Fina Clothes (Robe, 35 DEF, 25 SPR), Galmia Set (Robe, 28 DEF, 28 SPR, 28 MAG). This Robe is not really that stand out, imo. So I would craft one or two of even skip it if you want to.
    Summoning: This Raid (similar to FF14 raid) is a bit different from usual. In this Raid, when you do Raid Summon, you will be able to summon units. There are 7 units total, 5 4*-based and 2 5*-based. Unfortunately, none of them are really stellar, but they do have some use. Even so, there are many other better choices. I won't go into details and talk about each of them. However, you will be able to summon a tons of them and you can fuse them for their respective TMR. So I will talk about each of it. On top of that, you also have a chance to summon two unit-specific trust moogle which I will also talk about it.
    • Ukiyo's Kariginu (Robe, Ukiyo's TMR): 15 DEF, 32 MAG, +10% MP, +10% light/dark resistance. This is more of an offensive robe for your mag dmg dealer. At 32 MAG, it is not bad as a robe. Although, many players may already have access to Siren's Robe which gives 40 MAG. The 10% light/dark resistance is too low too make use of it (because there are not many items that gives resistance for these two elements.) Although, the +10% MP part may be appealing in some situation. Note that the main reason why you would want to increase a unit's MP is either to make a self-sustainable unit with MP regen (more max MP = more regen each turn), or to make sure the unit has enough MP to use abilities enough times and clear the battle before running out of the MP. This is a decent/good TMR to have, imo. But don't need to moogle or farm it specifically.
    • Breath of Rose (Dagger, Ashteroze's TMR): 72 ATK, 48 MAG, dark element, Floral Blessing (25% resistance agaisnt Blind, Sleep, Paralyze, Confused, Petrify) - This is quite a strong dagger. At 72 ATK, it is the sixth strongest dagger in the game. It also comes with dark element which is quite rare element in a weapon, but dark imperil is also rare. The ailment resistance is, well, weird. Even if you dual-wield it, you get only 50% resistance which is not ideal to have on your dmg dealer, especially not resisting against confuse. If your dmg dealer prefer a dagger, this is definitely a good choice. Set aside weapon type, 48 MAG is quite decent. It is around the same with other Rod that you can get from chests in the story, so not bad at all to get some. Although, Wizard Rod from one of the easy trial gives 72 MAG which is generally a better choice for mag dmg dealer.
      • Nyx/Emilia, for example, are units that prefer dagger.
      • Rem (MAG build) also benefits from this knife since she has a passive that gives +50% MAG when equipped with a Rod. Although, it will make her Dagger Boomerage a dark element which can be both pros and cons.
      • Some units with innate 50% ailment resistance like Wilhelm or Ramza may love dual-wielding this dagger to complete nullify disabling ailment (Sleep/Confuse/Petrify/Paralyze), still not an optimal choice, imo.
    • Tailor's Scissors (two-handed Greatsword, Grinfield's TMR): 105 ATK, 1.3x avg dmg variant, Death - This is, well technically, a pretty good two-handed Greatsword (even though we actually have only two two-handed Greatswords in the game). Keep in mind that two-handed weapons have highest 'dmg variant' than one-handed. Meaning, using a two-handed weapon can out-damage single-wielded one-handed weapon of higher total ATK (details depend on specific build/unit). nevertheless, a Dualwield-build of lower ATK can still deal more dmg overall than single-wielding one-/two-handed weapon, since DW-build attacks twice. I would say this is a good weapon to have, especially when you want to transfer to the so-very-expensive-build called DH/TDH build later. This can be a good starting weapon for that. The weapon also teaches the wielder spell 'Death' (30% instant KO). I don't feel like it is worth using at all since it works on normal enemies mostly.
    • Cat Costume (Clothes, Nyalu's TMR): 12 DEF, +20% MAG, +20% SPR - A nice and very cute Clothes. The good part of this item is the +20% MAG and SPR which translates to around 30-40 MAG/SPR in the current meta. Not bad at all for you mag dmg dealer or healer. Again, when the 7* meta arrives, the 20% MAG/SPR will be equivalent to higher MAG/SPR (~40-50) which may make this Clothes become better than many other items. Again, don't quote me on this, by then we may have better Clothes/Robe to use.
    • Clown Staff (Rod, 18 ATK, 36 MAG, 36 SPR, +10% HP, Kupoklan's TMR) - Another weird weapon. This is more or less a defensive Staff. There are a few units who don't really need offensive stats and can Staffs. So, this Staff is a good choice for those units. Neither 18 ATK nor 36 MAG are good enough for offensive use. The +10% HP and 36 SPR, one the other hand, are decent/good.
    • Dream Maiden's Oracle (Materia, +20% MAG when equipped with a Rod, +20% SPR when equipped with a Staff, Sandee's TMR) - This is quite good materia for new players. Materia that boosts MAG is rare, set aside boosting for 20%. Similarly, 20% SPR is also very good. Keep in mind though, there are generally two aspects of 'boosting SPR', one is to make healers heal more and the other is to improve the unit survivability against mag dmg. This materia works well for boosting healing amount. However, it may not work as good to improve survivability because, depends on the situation, boosting HP for 20% may be a better choice than 20% SPR.
    • Progidy's Goggles (Accessory, 15 DEF, 15 SPR, 2 LB per turn, Analyze, Kelsus' TMR) - First of all, 15 DEF and 15 SPR is quite good for an accessory. The 'Analyze' that it provides is basically a non-magic version of Libra, so nothing special there. The 2 LB per turn may sound cool, but in fact, unless you build the unit with a lot of items that give similar effect. Only 2 LB per turn is more or less a drop in a bucket, especially for those expensive LB out there. Per wiki page, this accessory doesn't stack, i.e. wearing two won't give you 4 LB per turn.
    • Unit-specific Moogle (Elfreeda's and Cloud's TMR) - If you browse around the forum (even for a bit), you will see a lot of conversation about DH/TDH build and/or meta, and these two TMRs are the core of it. Long story short, DH/TDH becomes the way to deal massive-and-probably-more-than-enough damage in the near future. Although, from what I heard, DH/TDH is not mandatory to clear contents in the game, i.e. it is an option, not the only possible way. Don't quote me on this though, I don't play JP version so I don't really know what the future of FFBE will be. Anyway, I recommend you keep them both even though you don't have the units to fuse with yet, especially Eldreeda's. Most people consider Cloud's TMR to be the better and more important one. However, Cloud's TMR has no use outside DH/TDH build. On the other hand, Elfreeda's TMR still give 2 LB per turn and a flat 40 ATK which are very good, especially the latter. So Elfreeda's TMR still work and benefit your non-DH/TDH unit. Note that, you can fuse Moogle of the same TMR together to safe space as well.
    Alright, I guess that's all for this time. Please let me know if I made any mistakes. Comments/Suggestions are welcomed.

Edit: Edit Tsukumo Doll as suggested by Bitzpleze. (See his comment in his post below).
    Edit 2: Oops, mentioned a wrong weapon type. Crown Staff is a Staff (duh), not a rod. My opinion on is doesn't change though. Fixed some typos.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  2. aa25

aa25 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/eOlive
    Update with summoning items

3. Bitzpleze

Bitzpleze Mad Sciontist VIP

Nice work. The only real point I disagree on is that the tsukumo doll is fantastic for new players since they will likely want to level up units while running through events and story.

4. aa25

aa25 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/eOlive
    Thanks! That is a good point. I agree! I've edited the OP.

Bitzpleze likes this.
  5. Luvbishie

Luvbishie Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    And Marshall Glove gives shin- double hand bonus.

6. Jeric

Jeric Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive
    Just a note on vestment of prayers, the +15% spr is based on equipment spr not base. So it is actually bis for me on my Lila. Don't sleep on this guys.

Edit: ignore comment. It is based of the base spr.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  7. Fencat

Fencat Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Tidus FD or DW
    Great sumup, greatly appreciated, keep it up! ::up::

8. aa25

aa25 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/eOlive
    I just tested it and it's 15% of base-stats. Lila has passive that gives 20% SPR when equipped with a Cloth, I think that is what you saw.

9. Jeric

Jeric Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive
    Ah you are correct. Should have seen that. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

10. aa25

aa25 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/eOlive
    Thanks you for checking what I wrote too. This game has poor and confusing wording sometimes.

11. Antioch

Antioch Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Tidus, Seph., PS Rydia, CG Fina/Sakura
    Thanks for the write up! I love the Elven staff.

12. worldchicken

worldchicken Active Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Tidus/TT/Barbie/Event/Request
    Great guide! I think it's definitely worth noting that even for moderately new players (less than a month or two of being able to clear most events with most rewards), a lot of these rewards are also great for expedition units! If you don't have 20+ copies of DW laying around or a full TMR/event equipped expedition team, Tailor's Scissors is a serious boost on expeditions, and any equipment with percentage boosts on stats can be better than low flat-stat gear.

My personal rule of thumb on raid gear: Can I only get one? Craft. Is it in some way incredibly unique (e.g. high stat on strange weapon, only elemental equip of it's type, etc)? Craft. Is it only slightly better than craftable/purchasable gear? Can I craft at least 10? Maybe. If not, maybe.... Smiles at stash of Moogle Crowns from first anniversary event.

13. Luvbishie

Luvbishie Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    I've noticed with raid crafting equipment, you can only make one because they need a special ingredient you get from reward points, and you only get one of those.