1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

[Guide] Estark's Challenge - Crafting/Progession/Summoning Items

Discussion in 'Guides' started by aa25, Sep 10, 2018.

1. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/Ayaka/S.Nichol/Barb/Lilith
    First of all, I think I will try to expand the target audience a little bit this time. To make my life simple, I will still compare to only items that can be obtained in a future. I won't make a comparison with items rewarded in past events, unless there is something unique about them or STMR. I will still focus on new players as usual. I hope this guide is useful for people.

There are a lot of items to talk about this time around, including two (out of three) summon units who can be fused for TMR. Alright, let's go!

Progression: Most of these weapons, except Romandan Pistol, can also be purchased from the Mog Minister as part of Dragonlord KM event. I recommend you try to purchase a second copy of Glacos' Spear, Caultery Sword, and Erdrick Sword, if possible.
    • Crow's Claws (52 ATK, granted 'Two-hit Combo', Fist): This weapon is quite bad, imo. The special ability 'Two-hit Combo' causes your normal attack to hit twice. If you DW-ing, you will attack 4 times total. Note that, this weapon doesn't work on counter. I don't really see a real use for it.
      • This may be useful to generate LB crystals from enemies if you use it on a unit that hit multiple times per attack (like Ace, OK, VoL, etc). From my observation, each hit will have a chance to drop the LB crystal. Thus, the higher number of hits, the higher chance to get LB crystals, in contrast to single hitter (like Olive, Cloud, etc).
    • Iron Axe (58 ATK, Axe): This weapon is bad. At 58 ATK, it is not really that good. On top of that, it is an Axe which is one of the worst weapon type in FFBE (no mastery to support). Since you have access to Falcion which is a sword of 80 ATK from Rookie Quest, I don't see any use of this weapon at all.
    • Staff of Antimagic (62 SPR, inflict Silence (30%), Staff): This is an okay defensive weapon for healer, tank, or support unit. At 62 SPR, it is not bad, but nothing special either. If you use this Staff to attack, it has 30% to inflict Silence, but it is more or less useless in most cases. Although, it might be useful in Arena to deal with some annoying magic user. (Unfortunately, both LM.Fina and Ayaka immune to Silence innately.) Beside that, this Staff doesn't grant anything else which makes it less valuable than other Staffs with lower SPR, such as Aura Staff (53 SPR, grant Dispel).
      • Some bosses'/trials' attack can be 'sealed' or 'disabled' when inflicting with certain status ailment. If you want to use this Staff for that propose, keep in mind that it's inflicting chance is only 30%. Other items, such Toxic Rain, Rikku's Pouch, are more reliable.
    • Big Boss Shield (45 DEF, grant 'Auto-shell', Heavy Shield): A decent shield. Technically speaking, 45 DEF is not bad at all. However, not many unit can use Heavy Shield. For those who can, they are mostly dmg dealers, who tend to end up DW-ing or DH/TDH-ing, and Tanks. When it comes to tanks, it is sometimes better to pick a shield that provides elemental resistance. Putting all of these factors together makes this shield is not as useful as it appears to be, imo. Nonetheless, this is still a solid shield for new players. The Auto-shell is nothing to rely on. It gives 20% SPR buff (non-dispelable) which will be overwritten by bigger buff. So, it won't be much useful in most cases.
      • It may be useful in Bahamut Island or Madam's Manor where enemies have a high chance to do preemtive attack. Having a bit of SPR buff may help your tank survive the preemtive.
    • Romandan Pistol (107 ATK, Gun): This is Mustadio's TMR. First of all, Gun is not a good weapon type due to lacking Gun mastery to support it (although, there is a unit with Gun Mastery as a TMR in the future). Most notable Guns are two-handed gun due to a massive weapon variance of Gun (150%), but not this weapon. On top of that, it is non-element. Essentially, this weapon offers only decent/high ATK of 107, but nothing else. Unless the unit prefers gun for some reason, I would use different weapon type instead.
      • There are many other weapons that provide comparable ATK and better weapon type. For example, Apocalype (103 ATK, Greatsword) and Genji Blade (107 ATK, Katana).
    • Gracos' Trident (82 ATK, Ice element, grant 'Aquan Killer', Spear): Finally, a good weapon to talk about. First of all, it is ice element. Ice is rarely resisted by bosses/enemies. Then, we have Fryevia and Orlandeau family who can chain with ice. Most members of this family can use Spear which makes this weapon a good choice as a source of ice element for chaining. Spear is not the best weapon type, but not so bad either since it has two masteries to support (SSP-Wind and Duke's Dragoon Pride). This weapon also grants Aquan Killer. Aquatic monster is quite rare, so this killer may not be that useful.
      • For Orlandeau chaining family, Raegen will like this weapon a lot. Not only he can equip it, his chaining move and LB also inflict ice imperil.
      • Although, it is still unclear to me if chaining partners will be common enough or not, especially for new players, since the option that this family has is so broad. With the arrival of Hyoh, this family will end up having light, dark, fire, ice, and lightning as the options. While the 'unit' should be very common and easy to find, the 'right element' may not be that easy to find.
    • Cautery Sword (85 ATK, grant 'Demon Killer', Sword) Another good weapon. This time is due to it's Killer effect. Demon is one of the most common enemy type, so using this weapon can deal more damage than what it appears to be. Being a Sword also helps since Sword mastery is available and there are a lot of units who can use Sword.
    • Erdrick Sword (125 ATK, Greatsword) Another good weapon. In my opinion, this weapon is not as good as it may appear to be. Don't get me wrong, it is still a solid weapon, but many people may be in a situation that doesn't benefit from it that much. It's problem, in my opinion, is it's weapon type. In fact, Greatsword is arguable the best weapon type in FFBE since it has the most masteries to support and many elements available. However, having many elements available implies players tend to build a DW-chainer around it, especially light element for Orlandeau family. Then, when you build a DW user, you want to use a different weapon type in each hand to maximize weapon masteries. If your source of element is already a Greatsword, equipping another Greatsword may not be so useful as a different weapon type of lower ATK but with more masteries.
    Summon Unit: I won't include Marquis de Leon in this part since the rumors said that the drop rate is abysmally low, meaning getting his TMR implies feeding him with moogles or farming.
    • Dracky's TMR - Devilish Designs (10% MP, 15% dark resistance) This is an okay TMR since Dark Resistance is quite rare among the equipments. Most of them are TMR or limited items. Getting some of this around doesn't bad at all.
    • Slime's TMR - Scorch (Fire Aoe mag damage of 2.8x) This is terrible TMR. Well, most unit already comes with better abilities. I don't see any use of this TMR at all.
    Crafting: Craftable items this time around is quite underwhelming again. The Spear is a must have, but the rest is quite skippable.
    • Dragovian Spear (90 ATK, grant Demon and Dragon Killers, Spear, Limited to 1 copy): A solid spear. Killer effect is always a good thing to have. This spear comes with Demon and Dragon, which are pretty common enemy types. At 90 ATK is also quite good. There is no reason not to craft this one.
      • When it comes to killer effect, it's effect is usually huge. Given that the strongest one-handed, non-STMR Spear currently is Dragon's Whisker at 138 ATK. Agasint Demon, sacrificing 48 ATK for 50% killer is totally worth it. (Dragon's Whisker also grants Dragon Killer.)
      • In FFBE, the ATK/MAG number alone doesn't tell the full story. Killer effect, elemental, Weapon Variance (for two-handed weapons), and Dual-wielding need to be taken into consideration. Don't blindly build dmg dealer by maximizing their ATK and/or MAG. You may reduce your own damage output potential without knowing it. (The most common mistake is building dual-element dmg dealer, without a proper imperil to support and/or correct chain partner.)
    • Sacred Claws (70 ATK, grant Demon Killers, Fists): Another solid weapon due to the killer effect it provides. At 70 ATK, the fist itself is not that exciting. Although, given that this same event also rewards Caultery Sword and the Spear above, you may end up not using it at all. (Those two weapons also have a better type.) I would say it is up to you. You can craft two copies if you want, just in case you need it for 10-man trial or skip it if you are running low on the material.
    • Sage's Staff (11 ATK, 34 MAG, 54 SPR, Staff): A well-round Staff. At 34 MAG, it is kinda okay for mag dmg dealer early, given that most easy-to-obtain Rod are around 25-30 MAG. An exception is Wizard Rod from from one of the easy trial which gives 72 MAG. For the SPR side, this Staff is decent. Similar to Staff of Antimagic above, this Staff also provides nothing else which makes it less useful. Nonetheless, it is still a decent defensive weapon for support for new players. I would craft 3-4 just in case you want to give your support/tank/healer some defensive weapon (or lower, if you already have better staffs).
    • Dragon Scale (1 DEF, 1 SPR, 10% HP, 15% fire resistance, Accessory): Another okay-ish accessory. First of all, the 10% HP looks nice. However, 10% HP is nothing special given that we can craft Muscle Belt which also gives 10% HP. The 15% fire resistance makes this accessory a little bit more appealing. Although, 15% is not much but it is still decent for an accessory. I feel like the reason why you would use this accessory is for the fire resistance.
      • Since neither Sage's Staff nor Sacred Claws are worth crafting, I think this accessory may be the best option of craft in the end, especially for new players who still don't have enough accessories to fill the slots. I would recommend you craft this item upto 5-6 pairs (10-12 total). Try to craft them as pair so that you can use two on the same unit.
    Last words: Sorry for posting this a bit late this time. I've been busy if real life stuffs and haven't got a chunk of time to sit down and analyze this item set until now. Please let me know if I made any mistake. Any comments/suggestions are welcomed as usual.

Credits: Numbers are from https://exvius.gamepedia.com

2. god.nomad

god.nomad Ascended Member

If scorch is ability and not magic, would it be good for ice bird trial?

3. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    I can't think of why it will be useful. Could you elaborate why you think being an ability make it useful against the Ice Bird ?

god.nomad likes this.
  4. god.nomad

Ice bird puts always reflect against magic but it is extremely weak to fire. -1000%.
    Not sure how useful the damage output from scorch is (2,8 multiplier) and probably a normal chain attack would be way better with fire weapon equipped.

5. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hmm...I don't think it will be that useful.

Note: I won't consider 7* in this as they are still way too rare and this trial was released way before 7* becomes a thing. Putting 7* into the picture will pretty much make anything look like a viable strategy.

Assuming the unit who use it is a top 6* mag dmg dealer (~1200 MAG) without M Bird killer, the dmg dealt to the Big Bird would be around 6M (1200*1200*2.8*11*2/15). With ~50% break, it becomes around 12M or about 25% HP which is enough to offset the Big Bird's self-heal. However, I think that will proc the Big Bird threshold right away, along with typical retal that will inflict ice imperil on your team.

Granted, you can use it to control the amount of Glacon's. But the dmg is unnecessarily high and may proc the Big Bird threshold instead.

I am honestly not sure. I feel like with that amount of prep (top-tier MAG stats, 50% break, and survive the preempive), you should be able to one-shot the Big Bird already, not just chirping it down.

god.nomad likes this.
  6. god.nomad

Thanks.

7. bwnyc

bwnyc "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Leads:
    Hyoh
    Thanks for this...will just craft one of each for collection purposes...

8. TT2110

TT2110 Well-Known Member

bzw, you cant get a srcond time of all this weapon in km, if you get itvtrom ptevious event