1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

[Guide] Generic Guide to 10-man Trials

Discussion in 'Guides' started by aa25, Nov 30, 2018.

1. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/Ayaka/S.Nichol/Barb/Lilith
    General info about 10-man trials
    1. Introduction: 10-man trials are moderately difficult trials, as respect to unit and equipment pools available at the time of writing this guide. They are located in the Chamber of Arms. Completing each of these trials rewards you a piece of equipment at the same quality as 5*-based unit's TMRs. These trials have two difficulties; Easy and Hard. Beating the Easy difficulty will unlock the Hard difficulty. Once cleared, the Easy difficulty cannot be repeated again. Clearing the Easy difficulty will reward you a 'replica', a less powerful version, of the final reward. Completing additional missions in Hard difficulty also rewards a materia which is also at the same quality as 5*-based unit's TMRs, rare ticket(s), and 10% Trust moogle.
    2. Special Features in 10-man Trials: There are two features of 10-man trials that make them distinctive from typical trials. The first feature, as the name suggests, is you can bring upto 10 units into the trial and swap them in and out during the fight. Another feature is the bosses in these trials have multiple forms or phases. The term 'phase' is used to describe the overall attack pattern of a boss. In most trials, both inside and outside Chamber of Arms, the boss usually changes the phase once it's HP is reduced below certain points or based on turn counts. Some boss changes the pattern only once (having two phases), some may change twice (three phases), some switches back and forth between two phases. In most 10-man trials and some trials outside the Chamber of Arms, the bosses also change their defensive stats, such as damage type immunity and elemental weaknesses, when changing the phase.
      • The boss in different phases: The difference between phases are usually substantial for the bosses in 10-man trials. For example, some boss may change from dealing heavy mag AoE dmg to heavy phy AoE, being immune to phy dmg to mag dmg, switch from being weak against fire to absorb fire dmg, etc. Essentially, you can consider the same boss in different phases as separate bosses that you have to deal with in one go.
      • Swapping units during the fight: Being able to switch your team around brings a lot of new possible strategies and complexities into the trials. Swapping units in and out allows you to form different teams during the fight to handle the boss in different phases. In some case, you can also form a one-turn type of teams to handle the boss' threshold attacks or even some dangerous routine attacks. You can swap units in and out as many times as you want at the beginning of each turn before you make any action. Units that are swapped out from the battlefield will not receive any damage from the boss, any buff, and healing from your active unit team, including damage/healing overtime type and LB crystal gain. Buff/debuffs on them will also stop counting, i.e. if a buff that last 3 turns is cast on a unit and that unit is swapped out, the buff won't wear off no matter how long that unit has been sitting in the reserve area.
      • If you run a bard in your team and let him/her sing a song, buffs from a song are reapplied every turn at the beginning of the turn. This is counted as an action. Thus, you won't be able to swap units in-and-out while the bard is still singing. You can still swap units when the song runs out, i.e. the turn you usually need to let your bard recast his/her abilities. This is not bad as it may sound though. The implication is that you have to plan your team keeping in mind you won't be able to swap units in and out every turn. In some strategy, this doesn't matter at all. Although, you may have to pay extra attention when you cross the boss' HP thresholds which is usually the point where you likely need to swap your team to handle the next phase.
      • If a unit is dead and swapped out, you won't be able to swap that unit back in again.
    3. Additional Strategies in 10-man trials: Being able to swap unit in and out allows you to be creative and use many new strategies. Some example is listed below.
      • You can have only 5 units on the battlefield at the same time. This point actually has more impact than what it sounds. Having at most 5 units means you can use at most 5 actions per turn. This limits a lot of things that you can do in a turn.
      • You can swap a unit in to do some action for one turn, before swapping him/her out for another unit to do something else.
        • Your team can have Chloe active for one turn to cast her fire resistance buff. Then on the next turn, you replace Chloe with Crowe and let Crowe cast 30% dmg mitigation. With this combination, you can have your team, except the Chloe and Crowe, to have both fire resistance buff and 30% dmg mitigation up at the same time provided by one unit slot. Note that using this trick, Chloe will never receive Crowe's dmg mitigation buff and Crowe will never receive extra fire resistance buff. This may or may not affect your overall strategy.
      • You can hide squishy or crucial units. Sometimes, we cannot avoid taking some damage. By swapping some squishy or crucial units out, you can ensure that they won't take any damage or get killed. This includes during threshold attacks, preemptive, and routine attacks.
      • You don't need to deal damage every turn. Don't be hesitate to swap out your damage dealer for a turn or two if that would allow your team to receive all the necessary buffs.
      • Swap your phy AoE cover tank with mag AoE cover tank to handle the boss' routine attacks that may change back and forth.
    Approaching the Trials
    There are two common strategies that people use to handle the bosses in 10-man trials.
    • One-shot the last phase: In this strategy, you basically stay alive and deal enough damage until the boss changes into the last phase, then one-shot the boss at the beginning of that last phase. This is actually easier than what it may sound. The thing is, most of bosses in 10-man trials are squishy. From my experience, I think 10-man trials are more or less designed based around the strength of 4*/5*-based units at 6*-forms. 6* Garnet with 1*Bahamut, Evo MAG enhanced to *2, and 4x Evo MAG materias is enough to cap a chain and one-shot many bosses in 10-man trials.
    • Slow and steady approach: In this strategy, you just slowly and steadily deal damage until you beat the boss in the last phase. This is probably the less common strategy than one-shot the boss in the last phase, since the boss in later phases tends to be more difficult to handle than earlier phases. On top of that, the boss usually deals some dangerous threshold attacks when changing phase which can be difficult to handle.
    In either approach, you will have to survive the early phases (usually only one phase). The key to success at that is understanding what the boss' attack pattern is and forming up a team to handle that.

Knowing the Attack Pattern of the Boss

There are many resources that you can learn about what the boss does in each trial, including those outside 10-man trials.
    • FFBE Wiki - One place is the FFBE wiki page. These pages usually contain all the info that you need to know about the trials. Sometimes, the pages may not be readily up-to-date with all the info on the day that the trial is released and a few days later.
      • Note that, I am not part of the wiki maintenance team. All the credits should go to the maintenance team of that page. I would like also thanks you guys for providing us an excellent information.
    • On this forum - Certainly, this forum is another good place. There are plenty of tips/strategies write-up around that you can check out about the trials. Granted, they may be a bit difficult to find, especially those that are posted in General subforum. If you can't find what you want, you can always post a new thread asking about it. But please make sure that it is not already posted somewhere in a complete format.
    • Reddit - r/FFBraveExvius/ is another great source for the info about trials. I don't lurk around there that much, so I don't know exactly how it is organized over there.
    • Online video - these are also a good place to learn about the boss. When you watch these videos, I recommend to take note and ask yourself why certain units are used in the trials. In most case, certain units are used because they are crucial to the strategy that the poster of that video used.
      • Note that, there are both guide and showcase videos. Make sure you pick the right type to watch and use your own discretion.
    Recommended Team and Unit Role
    As usual, the team composition that you need to handle the boss depends on the details of each trial. There is no one-team-fit-all in FFBE and 10-man trials are not exceptions. Below are unit roles that I would recommend that you have it up-and-running and ready to be put in your team. Note that, you may not need all of them in every 10-trials and these roles don't need to be on separate units. For example, if you need a support healer and a buffer, these two can be the same unit like MS.Nichol, S.Nichol, etc.
      • HP - Like many other trials. You will take some damage. You will definitely want to heal your units, especially your tanks, back to full health.
      • MP - Depend on your team and the trial, you may need to provide some form of MP recovery to your team, especially if your strategy relies on MP hungry units. Some boss in 10-man trials also uses some form of MP drain, either ST or AoE. Agaisnt these trials, a good/strong MP battery is recommended.
      • Raise/Reraise - Some boss inflicts instant death, so Raise/Reraise are helpful here. Note that, while most of instant death can be resisted with Genji Shiled or Safety Bit, some boss does have a version that bypass those two equipment or an AoE death. Outside of inflicting death, some boss may have very strong threshold attacks. Reraise is a good safety net to have against them.
      • Status Ailments - In my opinion, if you have progressed up to this point in the game, you should stop relying on Esuna/Esunaga to recover your team from status ailment. At this point onward, letting your healer spend one or a half of a turn to cast those spell or ability to cure ailments is a waste of turns. Status ailment protection buff is a better solution, but I will not recommend you rely on it too much either. Sometimes, bringing a unit solely for that purpose is not efficient at all in term of unit slots, and arguable the same for turn usage. Instead, I would recommend you start looking into equipment that provides status ailment protection, like Ribbon, Discernment, Hairpin of Purity, etc.
      • Charm/Stop/Berserk - These status ailment/effect are more difficult to deal with. At the time of writing this, there is no equipment that provides either Charm or Stop resistance yet. Charm and Stop resistance however exists as a buff or innate resistance in some units. For Berserk, there is no equipment, buff, or innate ability that protect a unit against it yet. You can cure them by Dispelling the unit or use abilities that specifically remove them. Note that, if you use dispel, it will also wipe all other status effects on that unit, including tanking status (provoke/cover), stats buffs, stats debuff, etc. Thus, make sure to let your tank recast the tanking status and/or rebuff your team with your buffer. Berserk, in my opinion, is the most dangerous one out of these three since it will also cost that unit a turn (forced to do normal attack).
      • Dispel and other abilities of the same effect - Many bosses in 10-man trials use some form of stats buff to itself, either as part of routine or threshold attacks. Dispel is the way to get rid of those buff. If you see they put their ATK/MAG buffs up, I strongly recommend you to dispel it. There are some rare case where those buffs cannot be dispelled though.
    • What type of tanks you need depends on many things, including your team itself. Generally, I recommend you have one provoke tank, one phy AoE cover tank, and one mag AoE cover tank ready when needed. Be ready to gear them for elemental resistance build when needed for all of them. Many bosses also inflict imperil, including multiple elements at the same time. You may need to go higher than 100% in those elements. If you can't gear them, elemental resistance buffers can be a great help.
      • Evade tank - As usual, having an 100% physical damage evade tank, either provoke or phy AoE cover, is a good thing. But, it is not a strict requirement to clear any 10-man trials. In my opinion, a 100% evade tank is just another form of well-geared tank. Other forms of well-geared tank also work fine.
      • Innate 100% draw attack - This is, imo, another form of well-geared tank and a very powerful one. Sadly, at the time of writing this, the two ways to achieve this rely on limited items (either Yellow Balloon or K Producer Jacket, or both).
      • Provoke and cover on the same unit - There is one small detail which I think is very important. Many tanks can serve as both provoke and AoE cover tank at the same time (e.g. Warrior of Light, 7*Wilhelm, Awakened Rain). This is a very slot-efficient way to form a team. However, this strategy may not always work. Keep in mind that AoE covering will proc only when other team members are being targeted. Meaning, if the boss starts the attack pattern of that turn with ST, which is going to target the provoking cover tank, the AoE cover will not proc for those attacks. This becomes important if you need the damage mitigation that attached to the AoE cover, which is usually much higher than the one attahed to the provoke one and it stacks with damage mitigation buffs, for the tank to survive. In this situation, I recommend you run a separate provoke tank from AoE cover tank instead.
      • Auto-cover - I will keep this short. This form of covering is mostly a trap. The most common source of this trap is 2* Golem and 2* Alexander. Do not unlock these nodes. It will likely to more harms and goods. There are a few situation, mostly against preemtive attacks, that it can be helpful, but from my experience, the opposite is far more common. The main problem is that if an AoE cover tank is being cover by auto-cover, the AoE cover part will not be able to proc anymore. This is very important if you also use that AoE cover tank to provoke and the boss does ST attacks first.
      • AoE cover vs. Imperil/Status ailments/breaks - Both phy and mag AoE cover tank cover only the damage part of the attack. If the attack also inflicts status ailment, imperil, or debuff, it will be applied on the original target(s) of that attack.
      • Defend - Letting a tank defend is a powerful move. Itcan greatly reduce the damage the tank will tank (50% reduction and it stacks with everything else). If your tanks have problems with surviving some routine or threshold attacks, try letting them defend during those turns.
    • Similar to other trials. A buffer can greatly improve your team. Whether you aim to one-shot the boss in the last phase or slow-roast the boss, an appropriate offensive and/or defensive buffers can simplify a lot of things for you. Some boss also deals a lot of elemental damage. If your tank(s) or your team have trouble against those attacks, do not underestimate elemental resistance buffers. They can help your tank(s) reaching required elemental resistance, offset the imperil that the boss inflicts on your team, or simply reduce incoming damage to your team letting them take the damage without being wiped.
      • Debuff Resistance: Some boss also inflicts stats break (debuff) on your team. If the debuff causes you trouble, tagging along a support unit who can cast this resistance will help a lot.
        • There are two other ways to deal with the debuff, by removing the debuff with dispel-type abilities (Dispelga trick, Bushido Freedom, etc.) and abilities that specifically remove the debuff. In my opinion, these two approaches are not as good as the resistance buff. I would try to buff the resistance first, before considering them.
          • Dispel-type ability: I don't recommend you to rely on it too much since it will also wipe other positive buff and tanking status (provoke/cover) on your unit as well. If you need to use them, make sure to rebuff your team and let your tank(s) recast the provoke/cover skills.
          • Abilities that specifically remove debuff: These abilities will only remove the stats debuff, which makes it a better choice than dispeling your team. However, if the boss repeatedly inflicts the debuff on your team, casting these abilities every turn may not be a good idea.
      • Ailment Resistance: As I covered under healing, this is a better solution for bosses that inflict status ailments than cure the ailment a turn later. However, if you can equip your team to have all status ailment protection, that is an even better solution.
      • Bard: A good bard can offer a lot for one unit slot. Keep in mind that you cannot swap units in-and-out while the bard is still singing.
    • Most bosses in 10-man trials are surprisingly not immune to stats debuff (break). This makes bringing a breaker along very helpful. In most case, if the boss is not immune to ATK/MAG breaks, I strongly recommend you to use the break on the boss. For 10-man trials, I would say 45% breaks should be the minimum for you to consider. If you have stronger breaks, that will be even better. If you are going to one-shot the boss in the last phase and the boss is not immnue to DEF/SPR breaks, applying the breaks before dealing damage will greatly improve your damage output a lot.
      • Tanking and Debuffing from the same unit: There are a decent amount of tank who has good debuff abilities in his/her skill sets. In principle, this offers a slot-efficiency, i.e. spending one unit slot to cover multiple important roles. However, at the difficulty of 10-man trials (and above) and if you can break the boss' ATK/MAG, you likely need to break them for your team to survive the first turn. In most cases, your tank(s) will be busy casting their provoke or cover skills in the first turn, and render them not being able to use their breaks. Provide a back-up breaker just for the first turn is strongly recommended. Granted, if you have a very strong 7* tanks, you may be able to survive without it.
      • Phy/Mag damage: Many bosses in 10-trials are immune to one type of the damage in one phase and the other type in the other phase. This usually requires you to bring both physical and magic damage dealers in to the team. If you have a hybrid damage dealers, they will be able to deal damage to the boss in both phases, but only by the part that the boss is not immune to, e.g. if the boss is in physical damage immune phase, only the damage part that scales with the hybrid damage dealer's MAG is dealt.
        • Some boss may not immune to specific type of damage in any phase, but it may have high resistance against one damage type, counter with dangerous abilities if attacked with a specific type of damage, or have some different type of buffs which indirectly make using one type of damage a better choice than the other.
        • Elemental damage: Some boss in 10-man trials also changes their elemental weakness between phases. Make sure you bring the right elemental damage dealers to deal with the boss in each fight. Note that, you don't need to use the elements that the boss is weak against, as long as the boss doesn't absorb or immune to, they will do the job. If you want to one-shot the boss in the last phase, you can utilize the weakness for more damage output.
      • Finisher: Forming a team for 10-man trials usually have enough room for you to bring a finisher. If you are aiming to one-shot the boss in the last phase, bring a finisher can also help with that.
        • Most of the boss in 10-trials are relatively fragile. Capping a chain with a well-built finisher will usually deal a massive amount of damage. Summoners, like Garnet, with Bahamut or 3* Esper are commonly used as the finisher for the job since they are arguable the easiest to build finisher.
      • Multiple damage dealers: If you have a room for more damage dealer or you are aiming to one-shot the boss in the last phase, I recommend you looking into capping your chain with a finisher. That is, running 2 chainers and one or as many as finishers that you can fit into your team. Adding a 3rd or more chainers, whether they are in the same chaining family or not, usually will not improve the damage output as much as what you would get from finishers.
    Team Building
    There is no straightforward answer to this question mainly due to the different play style between players. In this section, I will list out what I usually do to prepare for the trials. This steps may not be the preference for other players. You should take these steps as more of a guideline. Feel free, and I encourage you, to adapt them to your own play style.
    • Slow-roast approach: For early phases and/or not one-shotting the boss in the last phase, I usually start from tanks, supports, then healer, and lastly damage dealers.
    1. I start from looking at the boss attack patterns in both phases and check if phy and/or mag cover tanks are needed. Then, I check if the boss also does heavy ST damage of an opposite type of the cover tank that I will use in that phase or some ST stuffs that I want to control who the target is (ST Death, ST MP drain, etc). If the boss does have that, I will also bring a provoke tank.
    2. : This is the most important and convoluting part in building a team. In order, I check if I need the followings, 1) ATK/MAG break 2) Elemental resistance buff 3) Charm/Stop resistance buff and/or targetable ST dispel (for Berserk as well) 4) Status ailment resistance 5) MP battery 6) Dispel (if the boss will buff itself at some point). Once I have figured out what I need, I will try to fit in those roles along with DEF/SPR and damage mitigation buffers. I may not be able to fit both DEF/SPR damage mitigation buffers along with other necessary supports. In that case, I will pick one or drop them both if necessary.
    3. This is quite straightforward. I start from estimating how much damage your tanks will take each turn and make sure you can heal them back up (for top-tier healer, this should mean one cast of Curaja or other ability of the same level). Then, I check if I need to use Reraise, Raise, and/or Dispel. (Note: I have been investing a lot of TMR for my tanks. My tanks rarely need reraise, even 4* tanks. This part may be indirectly simplified because of that.)
    4. I will talk in details about how to maximize the damage potential of damage dealers down below when I talk about the one-shot method. For this part, I usually just pick units that can deal damage to the boss in each phase. I usually bring up to 4 chainers forming two pairs of chainers. Each pair is customized (elemental damage, killer, etc.) for each phase.
    5. Up to this point, if my team is full, I would go in and try. If I still have open unit slot or free turn, I will try to squeeze in DEF/SPR breaker (if the boss is not immune to it), ATK/MAG buff (if they do not come with your choice of DEF/SPR buffer or damage dealers), and imperil-er. The reason I didn't consider these roles earlier simply because they are only increase the damage output of your team, which is not the core strategy in the slow-roast approach anyway. At the time of writing, none of the 10-man trials are damage rush, even ones with turn-limit missions can be easily done without them.
    • One-shot approach: To a certain extend, this approach is a pretty much start from figuring it out how to maximize the damage output, then find a way to keep the team alive until they can deliver it.
        • I usually start from looking at the boss defensive stats, including damage type resistance, and pick a pair of chainers and a finisher that suit the boss.
        • Pick the right element to make use of the boss' innate elemental weakness, if it has ones.
        • Keep in mind that while some phy/hybrid chainer/finisher may have prefered element (e.g. Fire/Lightning for Hyoh, Water for Tidus, etc.) due to imperil in their skill sets. Against a boss with high elemental weakness (i.e. higher than the imperil from the units), going off the prefered element and use the boss' weakness can be more beneficial. For example, against a boss with 200% wind weakness, Hyoh with wind element will out-damage Hyoh with fire or lightning element by a lot. (You can't control or change the element of mag chainer/finisher. So, this point is not applicable to them.)
        • Practice chain capping with the choice of chainers and finisher that you choose. This may sound complicated, but it is actually quite simple. For most chainers/finishers, it is more or less all about whether you tap the finisher before starting the chain or after. Granted, for some super fast finisher (e.g. Queen), slow finisher (e.g. Rinoa, Olive), or some short chain (e.g. Single-cast Tornado/Flood), you may need more details on that part.
        • Killer effect. Check the boss' monster's type and equipment your damage dealers with the right killers. Keep in mind that killer effects have a huge impact. Don't be hesitated to lose 100-200 ATK/MAG in exchange of 50% killer or higher. Keep in mind that Hybrid damage dealers also affect by physical killer, but not magic.
      1. The next stop is amplifying the damage output. If the boss is not immune to DEF/SPR break, make sure to make use of it. I usually look for a minimum of 50% DEF/SPR break. You don't need to break both stats though. You can break only the stats that you damage dealers use.
        • Keep in mind that a few increase DEF/SPR break at high break values have a huge effect on the damage dealt. That is, in relative to the damage dealt without break, 50% = 2 times damage, 66% = 3 times, 75% = 4 times, and 80% = 5 times.
        • If you are going in for the final hit, ATK/MAG break is obviously not needed.
      2. ATK/MAG buffs are another source of damage. I would look for a minimum of 100% buff. Similar to the debuffer, you don't need to buff both ATK and MAG, if your damage dealers don't use both of them.
      3. In most cases, you may not need an additional imperil-er since your chainers are likely provide that via their chaining move. However, if you are using different elements from the innate imperil or if you can provide a larger imperil, you can bring your own dedicated imperil-er. Obviously, you want to use the one that matched with your damage dealer.
        • Note that if your finisher's animation is slow and you have to tap him/her before you start the chain, the finisher's hit won't benefit from the imperil that comes with the chaining moves. In this case, if you want to amplify the damage, you may need an external imperil-er.
      4. Some chainers or finishers need 'set up' turn(s) to ready their strongest attack(s). You can use the early phases in the trial to prepare the damage dealers then stowing it away until the last phase. This includes giving them ATK/MAG buffs, filling their LB gauge, and filling the esper gauge if you need it.
    Am I ready for try 10-man trials ?
    It is quite difficult to say when a player is ready for 10-man trials. Beside having all the necessary unit roles to handle the boss, in my opinion, one trial that can be used to gauge this is The Octopus and the Teacher. If you can beat this trial without using cheese strategy and/or overpowered friend units (i.e. use only friend unit with similar strenght to your own units), you are likely ready for 10-man trials. The reason for is this particular trial has the structure very similar to 10-man trials. That is, it has two waves. The strtegies you need in these waves are a bit different. If you can handle this, you should be able to handle 10-man trials.

FAQs
    1. Can I just use one team, may be only switching damage dealer(s), to clear 10-man trials ?
      • ANS: Possibly, but you are essentially trying to handle two distinctive trial bosses with one defensive team. It may require more TMR and preparation than what it should.
    2. I don't have any 7* units or any meta units. Can I still clear 10-man trials ?
      • ANS: Definitely, strength of 7* units are typically way above bosses in 10-man trials. Don't worry too much about meta (most efficient tactic available) units either. There are plenty of room in FFBE for you to try different units and teams.
    3. I don't have 100% evade tank. Can I still clear 10-man trials ?
      • ANS: Yes. What you really need is a well-geared tank. 100% evade tank is one well-geared build for tank, but it is not the only build. Standard high HP/DEF/SPR works fine as well.
    Is there anything else that I should know ?
    Well, I think that is it. What I want to say next is heavily play-style dependent, but just in case they mean something.
    1. Challenge - If you like challenging contents, trials in FFBE can be enjoyable. Don't let the word 'challenge' scares you though. Don't be afraid to lose or struggle. It is part of the game.
    2. Do your homework - Check out the boss' attack patterns and plan your team accordingly. I know, this can be quite difficult to get used to it. Be patient, feel free to ask on the forum if there are notation of terms that you don't understand.
    3. Units and Equipment - Keep in mind that it is not only the units that matter, the equipment are also very important. Top-tier units will not perform as they should without proper equipment. (No, I am not referring to STMR or BiS or anything at that level.)
    4. Support and tanking - The most common mistake that makes trials more difficult than they are is underestimating importance of support and defensive units, while overcrowded your team with damage dealers who do not work well together. In most trials, only one pair of chainers who can chain together is more than enough. (For contents at this difficulty and higher, chaining and capping may also be important. If you are not familiar with chaining, I strongly recommend you checking it out. Why elemental chain is recommended ? Why dual-element is bad ? What does spark chain mean ? Why units with double-casting or W-ability are so powerful ? ) Granted, if you want to one-shot the boss in 10-man trials in the last phase, finishers will help. But definitely not three damage dealers that don't work together, i.e. a chainer pair cannot chain together.
    5. Be creative - There are a lot of room in FFBE for you to try something different. You don't need all the top-tier units to beat trials, especially in 10-man trials which are not the most difficult trials to begin with. If I may, I would rate them as an upper-intermediate level. From my experience, I feel like 10-man trials are designed around strength of 6* units. 7* units are overkilled, especially the damage dealing part.
    6. 4*-based and 5*-based unit at 6* - As I mentioned several times in this write-up, 10-man trials are not the most difficult contents. Many 4*/5*-based units at their 6* form are sufficient to deal with boss. If you are still developing your 7* line-up or lacking some unit roles, don't be hesitated to take those units at 6* form instead.
    In any case, have fun playing FFBE.

Final Words
    That's it, folks. I'm sorry for taking a long time to squeeze all of this out. I am going to revoke an excuse that I'm not a native English speaker and apologize for any grammatical errors, typos, or any awkward sentences in advance. I don't expect this to be the final version. I will try to maintain it and polish it when I have time. I intend to make this guide generic, so I do not want to mention any specific units. I may pop a separate section about situational units in the future, but not at the moment. Please let me know if you have any suggestion or comments. If you think I should include any topic in the guide, feel free to discuss that in the comment as well, especially from new/intermediate players who still feel like trials are confusing/out-of-reach/scary/etc. I can't promise I will be able to answer and include every thing, but we can definitely discuss about them.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Ross ba, Mokujin22, Enzo and 11 others like this.
  2. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Version 1.0 (11/30/2018) - Initial released.

3. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reserved for future use

Seven likes this.
  4. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reserved for future use.

5. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reserved for future use

6. Stavros

Stavros Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh, mRamza, Nyx
    140ish
    Many thanks for another excellent insight @aa25

aa25 likes this.
  7. bwnyc

bwnyc "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Leads:
    Hyoh
    Thanks for this. I am embarking on clearing the 10-man trials now that we have the 1/2 NRG period and the KM is annoyingly boring...

aa25 likes this.
  8. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Good luck! 10-man trials are not that difficult. Once you get used to the mechanics, you should be able to blast through them in no time.

9. udon

udon udonL0rd VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    as a lazy gamer - i thank you for doing most of my thinking!

::rudecat17::

aa25 likes this.
  10. Tluil

Tluil Active Member

Global ID:
    Question just started doing the trials how exactly does magic stacking work if you swap them out. Like any of the -jas. If you got it to max and swap that character out does it stay at max until you swap them in like a buff?

11. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    The stack stays. (90% sure. I recalled a forum member mentioned his stacked got reset a while ago, but he didn't give much details about it. It may be a bug that has been fixed already.)

Tluil likes this.
  12. bwnyc

bwnyc "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Leads:
    Hyoh
    Thanks, Sheratan is done. Beat Elnath last night after a few failed attempts at surviving Phase 3, though I missed the defeat with magic mission for Maneater+...

aa25 likes this.
  13. Tluil

Tluil Active Member

Global ID:
    I beat Sheratan. Best Elnath this morning but forgot to do light damage

aa25 likes this.
  14. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    That is a very good materia. I recommend you go back for it when you have a chance. (Don't forget to check which arm you need to kill first in phase 2)

15. Tluil

Tluil Active Member

Global ID:
    Olive just destroyed the physical arm

16. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    7* Olive ? If so, I think that is one example how overkill 7*'s fire power is for 10-man trials.

17. Tluil

Tluil Active Member

Global ID:
    Yes I think I had like 250 or 300 machine killer on him. I was just surprised. I didn’t look up hit points I was just curious how much he would do. I used 7* Barbie triple casting raging wind to kill other arm and finish him off. I had Ashe with thundaja and carbuncle ready to swap in but wanted to try it with power creep

18. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yup, that is exactly what I meant by the bosses are squishy.

19. Tluil

Tluil Active Member

Global ID:
    I spent all this time setting up my back ups. I had a 7* 2B for breaks and chaining to kill physical arm. A nyx in case I wanted limit Burtst a queen in case i needed esper. And Lotus Mage Fina for reraises and heals.... and Ashe for thundaja.

20. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elnath is the second oldest and possibly the easiest one of all. Later trials will be more difficult and you will likely need a back up for that, but they are still not anywhere near recent trials in Chamber of Fallen/Indignant/Esper.

Edit: Congrats, by the way. Don't bully the poor 10-man trial bosses too much. lol. :)