1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

[Guide] In-forum lingo and acronyms

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Arnatuile, May 8, 2017.

1. Arnatuile

Arnatuile Wolf of Lapis Street. Proud Evade user. Staff Member Moderator VIP Spooky Supporter

As a non-native English speaker, I have struggled a bit to understand some of the vernacular used here to talk about FFBE. I thought I could share what I think I have understood so far and create this little glossary of the most common and significant terms and acronyms. Hopefully it will be helpful for new players.

Before starting off, let me say that any comment/feedback would be very appreciated, in particular when it comes to correcting mistakes/misinterpretations of some lingo, pointing out non-idiomatic sentences/grammar mistakes and suggesting better explanations. Also, feel free to highlight other terms or abbreviations that are relevant and did not make it to the present list. Of course, you can argue about the usefulness of this thread as a whole as well.

The glossary consists of 3 sections: General Acronyms, Units' Names Acronyms and Terms. Each section will be ordered alphabetically (with the exception of the first item in "General acronyms" for obvious coherence reasons). I will put all the items of the same section under spoiler, to ease the reading (hopefully). For some items, I will provide links to the relevant references when I feel like it may be worth it.

NOTE: Keeping the list of acronyms for units' name and TMR updated is a very difficult task, given that we get new units and TMR's every week. So it is NOT something I plan on pursuing. You are more than welcome to ask for the meaning of specific acronyms that may not be included in the ones below here with a post.

1. General Acronyms

FFBE:
    Final Fantasy Brave Exvius. This game: http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Final_Fantasy_Brave_Exvius_Wiki.

AoE
    : Area of Effect. It refers to any attack or skill that can hit more than an enemy. Examples are Bladeblitz and the -a (Fira) or -ga (Firaga) spells.

BiS: Best in Slot. It refers to the best possible piece of gear or to the best ability that a unit can currently equip in the corresponding slot. E.g. Excalibur is BiS weapon for Orlandeau. For a unit, a BiS build is one where every piece of equipment and every equippabble ability is BiS.

C2P: Cheap to Play(er). A player who spends occasionally, usually not more than 20-30$/€ per month.

DPS: Damage per Second. A term borrowed from certain action RPG's, where the offensive power and effectiveness of a character also depends on how much damage they can deal in a set amount of time. Such a feature is not really relevant for FFBE, since the battle system is turn-based (though the speed at which an attack or skill is executed can be relevant for chaining purposes - see at the "Terms" section below). As a consequence, in FFBE, DPS is essentially used as a synonym for Damage Dealer.

ES: Earth Shrine (http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Earth_Shrine). Earth Shrine - Entrance only costs 1 Energy per run and consists of 2 battles against the weakest foes in the games. It is therefore used as the preferred dungeon to farm TMR's (see below for TMR and at the "Terms" section for farming).

F2P: Free to Play(er). A player who doesn't spend on the game. Some players who spent less than 50$/€ consider themselves like this as well.

GE: Global Exclusive. Term used for something that didn't appear in the JP game or is different from it (usually better): it may be an Awakening (Cerius, Medius, Xiao), a character (Olive, Ling, Fryevia), an equipment (Kiyomori, Second Knife), a skill (Ace's Wild Card, Randi's ATK+20%) or an event (Easter Eggs).

GL: Global. It refers to the global version of FFBE, i.e. the version of the game produced by GUMI which you can download from Google Play, Amazon or Apple Store if you connect from any country which is not Japan. The Japanese version of the game is usually simply referred to as JP and has some major differences with respect to the global one (the most relevant being that it has much more released content). You can learn about GL vs JP here: http://exvius.gamepedia.co/Differences_between_GL_and_JP_version.

LB: Limit Burst. It's the "special attack" that every unit can unleash once they have accumulated enough red/limit orbs, which are dropped randomly in battle upon hitting a target.

LT: Limited time. Used mostly for units who can't be summoned anymore (generally because they were tied to some event and were not inserted in the permanent summoning pool at the end of said event) or for pieces of equipment and abilities that were only available for a specific event. Ling is an example of a LT unit, whereas Second Knife is an example of a LT weapon.

KM: King Mog. It's the King of Moogles you can find in the Farplane. People usually talk about a "KM event" to mean an event where a special set of dungeons becomes available in the Vortex, where you can collect special currency to exchange with King Mog for items. These events all look like this one.

META: Most Effective Tactic Available.The term is loosely used to talk about anything that has to do with the best possible setting/scenario, given the content which is currently available or will become available in the (near) future. Units are often considered as per how they compare to the current META, meaning how good they are when one takes into account the whole game content and its trends. As another example, greatswords are considered META among weapons for damage dealers because some of the strongest weapons available now and in the future are of that type and some of the strongest units in the current and future content (e.g Orlandeau, Noctis, Beatrix) can get great benefits from greatswords.

MVP: Most Valuable Player. It refers to a unit that is really good to have for a certain content (for example, a trial), since it makes it easier to deal with it.

NRG: Energy. What you need to enter any dungeon in FFBE.

OP: Overpowered. It refers to a unit which is very strong, to the point of almost being too strong (to be true). It is also used as an acronym of Original Post(er).

OTKO: One Turn KO. It refers to anything whose goal is to finish off your foe(s) in a single turn. For example, 2 strong chainers , one finisher, one buffer and one debuffer (see at the "Terms" section below for the meaning of all those words) is a common choice for an OTKO party.

RNG: Random Number Generator. It's what allows randomness to be implemented in a game. It's often used as a synonym of "luck" in sentences like: "RNG hates me" or akin. RNGesus is the God of RNG, whose words are often left unheard.

RT: Random Target. It refers to an ability that hits random targets, such as Barrage.

ST: Single Target. It refers to any attack or skill that can only hit one target.

TM(R): Trust Mastery (Reward). It is the reward you get (a piece of equipment, a trait or an active ability) when you bring a unit's trust to 100%. You can learn about TMR's (how their mechanics work and which ones are the best) here: http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Trust_Master_Reward.
    Here are some acronyms for some commonly used/sought TMR's:
    • BM: Blade Mastery. It's Chizuru's TM and it increases a unit's ATK by 50% when equipped with a Katana.
    • DB: Deathbringer. It's Dark Knight Cecil's TM: ATK +120 greatsword with Dark element and Man eater.
    • DC: Duacast. It's Ludmille's TM and it allows white, black and green magic to be casted twice.
    • DH: Doublehand. It's Bartz's TM and it increases a unit's ATK by 50% when single-wielding a one-hand weapon (with nothing else equipped on the off hand).
    • DKS: Dark Knight's Soul. It's Leon's TMR. It increases a unit's ATK by 30% when equipped with a sword and by 20% upon wearing heavy armour.
    • DW: Dual Wield. It's Zidane's TM and it allows a unit to wield 2 one-handed weapons.
    • GG: Genji Glove. It's Gilgamesh's TM and it gives DW as well as increasing a unit's ATK and MAG by 10%.
    • L&A: Letters and Arms. It's Ingus' TM. It increases a unit's MAG by 50% when equipped with a sword.
    • PoC: Power of Creation. It's Maxwell's TM. It increases a unit's ATK and MAG by 30%.
    • RotL/RoL: Ring of the Lucii. It's Noctis' TM. It gives +30% ATK/MAG, DEF +3 and SPR +3 and a boost in evasion and counter rate . It also gives access to Holy, Alterna and Death.
    • SSP-E/D/L: Sworn Six's Pride - Earth/Dark/Light. These are the TMR's for the corresponing Veritas.
    • StQ: Save the Queen. It's Agrias' TM: ATK +112 greatsword.
    • QA: Quick Assault. It's Shine's TM and it's a passive ability which gives +30% ATK +10% physical evasion.

2. Units' Names Acronyms

3. Terms
    Breaking/Breaker: breaking refers to any action whose effect is that of vastly decreasing your opponents' stats during a battle. A breaker is a unit capable of breaking and a Full Breaker is a unit who usually can break all stats, especially in a single turn using the Full Break or Undermine skill. Rain and Vaan are examples of full breakers. Some people argue that breaking can properly be referred only to those actions that decrease stats while also inflicting damage. In this connotation, breaking is not necessarily a special case of debuffing (see below).

Buffing/Buffer: buffing refers to any action whose effect is that of vastly increasing your party's stats or elemental resistance or of giving your party some positive status (e.g Auto-revive). Green Magic is mostly devoted to buffing. A buffer is a unit capable of buffing. Minfilia and Soleil are examples of buffers.

Chaining/Chainer: in FFBE, attacks (being them physical, magical or hybrid attacks) that hit a target consecutively or at the same time form a chain (of attacks), in the sense that each hit gets a bonus to the damage it inflicts (capped at 300%), based essentially on two factors: (a) the number of previous hits that landed on the target and (b) the nature of the hit itself (Normal Chain vs Elemental and Spark Chain). You can learn more about chains here: http://brave-exvius.com/threads/art-of-chaining-everything-you-need-to-know-about-chaining.11795/. Chaining refers to the act of building up chains on purpose, in order to increase the overall inflicted damage. A chainer is any unit who has multiple-hit attacks (normally 5-hit attacks or more) in their skillset, so that they can be used for chaining. Examples of chainers are: Orlandeau, Aileen, Setzer, Chizuru and Edgar.

Cheesing: clearing a piece of content by exploiting certain game mechanics, in a way that requires no strategy at all but just reiterating the same pattern of moves over and over (or even just hitting a single button). For example, suppose you need to fight a boss with 10 million HP that can only deal physical or fire-based damage. Then, if you can gear a unit to have 100% physical evasion and 100% fire resistance, you can cheese the battle by just pressing the auto-attack button, as your unit will eventually kill the boss (the adverb "eventually" is the key here). Note that the ATK parameter of the unit is essentially irrelevant here.

Debuffing/Debuffer: the contrary of buffing/buffer, debuffing refers to any action whose effect is that of vastly decreasing your opponents' stats, elemental resistance or inflicting some negative status to your opponent. A debuffer is a unit capable of debuffing, such as Ling or Dark Fina.

Dolphin: a player who spends a good amount of money but have a limit on it. It ranges from 50$/€ per month to 100-200$/€ per banner.

Enhancement(s): a popular alternative for "ability awakening" (http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Ability_Awakening). Misspelling of the word are common and quite understandable.

Farming/Grinding: the activity of repeatedly clearing a quest (the same quest) or going through a dungeon (the same dungeon) to collect experience, money (gil) or items. Common things to farm in FFBE are: (rank) exp, TM's, awakening and enhancing materials, special currency (King Mog's events), gil (see http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Best_places_to_farm). Farming/Grinding is a core aspect of FFBE and of most RPG games: you may love it or hate it, but you will likely not be able to avoid it.

Finisher: any unit who has one or more single-hit skills with huge damage modifiers that can be used to finish off the target(s). Finishers are usually paired with chainers to maximize their damage: they hit with their most powerful skill at the end of a long chain of attacks, so that they can benefit from the added damage bonus coming from the chain. Examples of finishers are: Olive, Luneth and Firion.

Greg: a nickname for Gilgamesh (http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Gilgamesh), for unknown reasons.

Macro: programmable built-in features of emulators that allow one to automatize certain (repetitive) actions that are intended to be done manually. Some FFBE players use Macro's to speed up TMR's farming and to improve chaining. Don't get too excited though and read this: http://brave-exvius.com/threads/the-only-thread-you-need-about-macro.6613/.

MP Battery: a unit that can recover MP of one or more allies, be it with a Regen-like buff (Noctis' Cover) or instant (Ling's Invigorating Dance).

Nerfed: undermined. A unit, a piece of gear or an ability gets nerfed when it is made weaker than what it used or was supposed to be by the producers of a game, generally because it was or would be too overpowered/gamebreaking. Noctis got nerfed with respect to its Japanese counterpart when he was introduced in the global version of the game, to adjust his character to global standards of the time. Ever since, each time a new unit gets released, there is always someone who is afraid that unit will be nerfed with respect to the JP version.

Rainbow (unit): any 5*-based unit. The name refers to the fact that, when summoning a unit via rare summons, those crystals containing a 5* unit will appear as multicoloured, in a way that reminds of a rainbow (sort of). People often talk about "troll rainbows" as those rainbow units they happen to summon while chasing other specific rainbow units. By extension, a "troll rainbow" can also just mean a 5*-based unit that you got despite not wanting it. Prior to the release of version 2.0 of the game (23/02/2017), the summoning system was different from the current one and players could end up summoning 5* units even if they were not 5*-based (e.g. one could have summoned a 5* Zidane, even if Zidane's base rarity is 3*, just because Zidane can reach 5* rarity). Any rainbow unit obtained in that way is also referred to as a "troll rainbow" (and, according to some philologists, this is the only really acceptable usage of the attribute "troll" for a rainbow unit).

Waifu: an outburst of sexism in some games' dictionaries, the term "waifu" refers to a female unit who is capable of making people (usually intended as heterosexual males) fall in love with her or get attracted to her (more or less literally), to the point of being considered someone's significant other. Husbando is sometimes used as the male counterpart to waifu.

Whale: they're legendary, non-existing people, who can spend 10000$/€ on a single banner, or until they get 5 or 10 copies of the same 5* unit.

Credits: @Carnefix for pointing out Husbando, @spada for pointing out several TMR's and units' acronyms, @Karistan for pointing out several acronyms and terms (especially all the ones about how to call people (not) spending money in the game), @Kosiciel for feedback and for pointing out QA and some units' acronyms.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. Carnefix

Carnefix Newsl0rd Staff Member Moderator Arena Runner Up S2 VIP Spooky Supporter German Moderator Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    416 022 660
    Leads:
    TDH Hyoh, Nyx, Tidus
    Nice, but where is the Husbandu for our girls here? :D

3. Andoria

Andoria Ascended Member Spooky Supporter

Global ID:
    Congratulations, this would be extremely helpful for both new players and also (although less frequently) for already veteran players.

I remember back when I first joined this forum, I didn't understand all the acronyms and felt so lost. Of course I eventually learned, so I won't be really using this guide, but kudos to you regardless!

Arnatuile likes this.
  4. Arnatuile

Arnatuile Wolf of Lapis Street. Proud Evade user. Staff Member Moderator VIP Spooky Supporter

5. Macska

Macska Ascended Member Spooky Supporter

Global ID:
    I LOVE this guide! Am I the only one who got even excited to see the words listed properly in an alphabetical order? Thank you so much for creating this @Arnatuile !

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't "husbando" be the correct spelling?

6. Sparkle

Sparkle Scary VIP VIP

BiS: Most popular in slot, usually biased heavily to atk, mag or hp stats
    TIL meta has a standard definition and is also an anagram for something else I didn't know.

Great post!

7. Arnatuile

@Macska Thank you very much! About Husbandu/Husbando...I actually do not know :D I'll let you guys debate and decide on the right spelling ;)

Macska likes this.
  8. spada

spada "Hall of Fame" Member Spooky Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fryevia DV LMSakura Emperor DWTidus
    All look very nice. Here's some i've stumbled upon:
    TGC - Thunder God Cid: Pretty much Orlandeau
    StQ - Save the Queen: Agrias's TMR
    DC - Dual Cast: Ludmille's TMR
    RT - Random Target: Like barrage
    PoC - Power of Creation: Maxwell's TMR
    RotL - Ring of the Lucii: Noctis's TMR, can also be written RoL
    WKN - White Knight Noel

Think those are it

Edit: Forgot to add a coupleç
    DKC - Dark Knight Cecil
    DB - Deathbringer: DKC's TMR

Arnatuile likes this.
  9. Carnefix

Carnefix Newsl0rd Staff Member Moderator Arena Runner Up S2 VIP Spooky Supporter German Moderator Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    416 022 660
    Leads:
    TDH Hyoh, Nyx, Tidus
    You are right. I misspelled it -.-
    Source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=husbando

Macska likes this.
  10. Sparkle

Sparkle Scary VIP VIP

And anyone that prefers dudes, lol. I miss Puzzleanddragonsforum.com chat.

I have husbandos and waifus. Not so much in this particular game.

11. Arnatuile

This is great, thanks! I will add them all to the list later on/tomorrow :)

12. spada

Global ID:
    Leads:
    No problem, glad to be of help. And here's another one i didn't see

OP - Over Powered: i believe the term explains itself, but it's pretty much an unit when it's geared with BiS and is the strongest it can get depending on his/her roll

Arnatuile likes this.
  13. spada

Global ID:
    Leads:
    i also stumbled on babylandu for Agrias 6* XD

14. Magoya

Magoya The Leading Mustache VIP Spooky Supporter Spanish Moderator

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh, Trance Terra
    Offtopic maybe, but why does Greg stand for Gilgamesh? Is it a random thing?

Also, @Arnatuile I've seen people use CA to refer to Cupid Artemios.

15. Andoria

Andoria Ascended Member Spooky Supporter

Global ID:
    It's a FFXIV thing, as far as I'm concerned a random guy called him like that, it spread around and a lot of people call him 'Greg' now.

Magoya likes this.
  16. Macska

Macska Ascended Member Spooky Supporter

Global ID:
  17. fffan

fffan Ascended Member Spooky Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Mostly chainers
    Thank you for sharing

Arnatuile likes this.
  18. Redtide

Redtide "Hall of Fame" Member Spooky Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    2B, Orlandeau, Randi
    Great guide

Arnatuile likes this.
  19. ChronoTrigger84

ChronoTrigger84 Well-Known Member Spooky Supporter

Lol learned a thing or two ::up::

Arnatuile likes this.
  20. Cecilbaroniv

Cecilbaroniv Ascended Member Spooky Supporter

Leads:
    Tidus/Trance Terra or Bonus Unit
    GOAT: greatest (unit) of all time, usually in reference to shadow or bedille.

Great guide, minus my post :)

XAIVIAX and Arnatuile like this.