1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

[Guide] Know Your Role - The Companion List and You

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Vetur, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Vetur

Vetur Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    IF Rain, Kitone, UDD Fina, DP Fina
    Preface: This guide is aimed for newbies only who don't know what to do with their five slots in the companions list. Not veterans. You're already sticking to whatever system you've concocted for yourself, so anything I say here isn't going to change your mind anytime soon. If you are a veteran and reading this...

[​IMG]

As for the rest of you: Sit down, strap in and I'll guide you through the process on how to know your role with your Companion List.

This is not so much of a widely used standard as it is a suggested format for convenient search and access of whatever unit you need for your specific situation. From this point forward, for brevity's sake I will refer to companion units as "Friend" units (or Friends for short). It's just faster to type since it's three letters less. Less work for me!

As you already know, the five slots for your companion list are named by the game as follows (and no, unlike Team names, you cannot rename these slots :( ):

• Favorite
    • Event 1
    • Event 2
    • Nemesis 1
    • Nemesis 2
    The Favorite slot serves two purposes: It's what shows up as your 'avatar' on your Friends list, and it's what other people see when they search you up on the in-game "search" feature. But since you're here on this forum, you're probably not even caring for the latter. ::ink::

You should always reserve either Event 1 or Event 2 for certain King Mog (KM) or raid units for that bonus currency. It's up to you whether or not you equip said bonus unit--in my experience, I've found most do not, especially if the bonus unit isn't meta--as long as you don't have to pluck your best gear from your other four units to do so. If this KM unit happens to be meta and will be replacing one of your friend units before the event is over (probably your Favorite), please leave the Event spot BLANK. Leaving the spot BLANK slightly increases the chances for RNG to load up the friend unit your friends actually want to use from you, for KM purposes or otherwise. Also please leave the Event-related spot BLANK if you haven't (yet) pulled anyone in relation to the current running event, or if there is no currency-related event going on.

For those who don't get why BLANK-ing is important: at present there is no fast way to refresh your friend list in case you get a bad roll. If your friend shows up on the Favorites tab, but the friend unit you needed in his/her Nemesis 1 or some other slot didn't load, you have no choice but to force a refresh, usually by closing and reopening the game. This is a rather dumb mechanic, I know. "Why doesn't ALL slots of a friend appear when that one friend loads?" That's a question you should direct toward Alim, but so far I don't see them fixing this part of the Friend list anytime soon, or ever.

As for the other four Friend units regarding whom I might use, I follow this strict format. Each unit is split into one of four categories:

• 1 Physical TDH unit
    • 1 Physical TDW unit
    • 1 Magical TDH unit
    • 1 Magical TDW unit
    Why these strict guidelines, you ask? Simple: it is easier to gear for separate sub-types of DPS (the constant struggle of TDH vs. TDW) than to have to yank (or grind for) some things from one unit to slap onto another. Having to constantly shift around Buster Style or other TDH-related gear from one unit to another is just unnecessary hassle; you're already doing that for your own party, why add that headache for units your friends want to borrow?

tl;dr: unless you whale, don't put two phys/mag units that are both TDH or both TDW on your Friend unit list. It's a gearing pain, and you're reading this to avoid gearing pain, aren't you?

Example 1: You have both War Hero Raegen and Cloud (AC). Because both are TDW units, you should not put both on your Friend list at the same time, because both will require similar equipment for optimal damage.

Example 2: You have both War Hero Raegen and Mystical Ice Lasswell. As Raegen is TDW and Lasswell is TDH, it is perfectly fine to place both units on your Friend list.

Unless we have a huge shift in the GL meta here, physical damage is still king and generally more desired. So your favorite should be either your physical TDH or TDW unit. Occupy the other Event slot with your other Physical DPS. As for magical DPS, you should fit them on the two Nemesis slots.

If you are lacking in any of the four damage categories I listed above, you may as well just leave the spot blank. Or you could also reserve it for "special requests." These requests (usually Carry requests) are by current or soon-to-be friends who need to borrow a specific tank, healer or support to handle certain trials.

A few other guidelines:

• When equipping your friend units, DO make sure you have a Ribbon or some all-status blocking accessory or materia on. Most trials require some form of status resist, though only a few completely disregard it (ex: Shinryu). Equipping for Stop Resist is also useful, but you can disregard Charm for the most part (with the exception of Beasts of the Dark II trial).
    • Adding elemental resistances is optional, as different trials require different resistances, but are welcome if you have room.
    • DO also consider bulk as well as the ATK or MAG stat for whatever unit you equip. HP is the more universal defensive stat for most trials.
    • Unless requested to do otherwise for a trial, DO NOT equip elemental weapons. Your Friend unit(s) might be needed in some other trial that resists your unit's native element (yet their chaining frames might be necessary), and you equipping an elemental weapon may ruin your friends' entire strategy. This rule doesn't apply for magical DPS (except in the case of magic* damage units such Xuan Wu & Qing Long, Wild Card Ace or Benevolent Beauty Rem).
    • On that note, if you must equip an elemental weapon, DO NOT equip one that said Friend unit cannot innately imperil for. I had seen too many Esthers on my FL outfitted with something outlandish like Excalibur (1 or 2-handed) just because of the shiny ATK it provides. DO NOT be one of those guys.
    [​IMG]

bwnyc, AustinValentine, dona and 6 others like this.
  2. Wdiggums

Wdiggums VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    depends on event and on request baybe
    Wow a nice comprehensive guide I feel a sense that we’ve visited this somehow ( like when fl was expanded ) and we’ve determined that while it would be nice, people are just going to put their units ( equipped or not ) any old place they’d like to and our only remedy is to remove those folks that are friends list challenged xD cheers and good luck with this!

3. Skye

Skye "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Regina, Edel, MWTerra, Rab
    Since most players can be assumed to be more or less up to date with trial content, it's a safe bet to use the two boss slots to put up units that are geared for the last trials. This makes it easier to decide what kind of gear/killers/bulk/resists/immunities you'll need to have on the unit.

One nitpick, having all-ribbon on units is not always a good idea. In fact I personally advise against it. The only status ailment you should generally try to be immune to is Confusion... Other status ailments should only be covered if the specific trial strategy requires it. Otherwise at best you waste equipment slots, at worst you prevent certain cheese strats.

Eynskaet, Razgriz and Wdiggums like this.
  4. Wdiggums

Wdiggums VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    And @Skye loves her cheese! ( and Regina ;-) )

rtt likes this.
  5. Skye

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Guilty... ::innocent::

rtt and Wdiggums like this.
  6. Hollis

Hollis The toxic JP elitist VIP

Japan ID:
    Leads:
    who knows?
    N/A
    Can you set me a carry unit for sheratan? ::ink::

Sagranth likes this.
  7. Skye

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Sorry we don't play JP.

Come to think of it, we also don't troll the JP forum.

Maybe something to consider....

EchoEchoPotato and Wdiggums like this.
  8. Wdiggums

Wdiggums VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    We have a bingo lol
    Did you draw pheonix jake or zen? I fear they’ve passed Regina :-s

Skye likes this.
  9. Hollis

Japan ID:
    Leads:
    who knows?
    N/A
    Sadly you fail to comprehend the joke... ::rudecat10::

10. Skye

Global ID:
    Leads:
    I'd say you're missing the point. Again. That said I'll leave it at that, knock yourself out doing what you do. ::up::

EchoEchoPotato and Wdiggums like this.
  11. Hollis

Japan ID:
    Leads:
    who knows?
    N/A
    I honestly wasn't gonna toss the joke on you..it was meant for everyone to see and I believe there are people like @Sagranth ( that's about sag's best friend I suppose ::ink::)that understand the joke was all about...
    I just don't understand why you seemed like "oh no this is not the jp section, so shoo off".. the joke wasn't based on jp version... It's from this forum in general..
    So please, stop taking things negatively..

Sagranth likes this.
  12. Skye

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Nah didn't really pull for them, didn't have resources and I'm starting to stop caring about powercreep and just pull for units I like, if that makes any sense... :confused:

I just did up to boss rush adv-4 with her as the single damage dealer... OFC in terms of average damage she's like 30% of these guys so no Regina FTKOs on recent trials.