1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

[Guide] March on Garuda - Progression Items and Item Crafting for New Players

Discussion in 'Guides' started by aa25, Apr 20, 2018.

1. aa25

aa25 Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/OK
    First of all, copy and paste from my previous posts with minor edits.

This guide is written specifically for New Players and all comparisons are made with non-limited and non-TMR items only, i.e. only items from the Main Story or easy permanent trials. Basically, if anyone decides to pick up the game right now, this guide should more or less reflect what he/she can obtain in a near future.

This Raid is a little different than usual. Most of the items focus on the feature units (Y'shtola, Minfilia, Yda, Papalymo, and Thancred) and are exclusive to those. I won't go into details for each of those items, but I will mumbling a quick overview down below. The special part of this Raid is you can summon those units with your Raid Coin, which you will get a lot of them. So you will be able to fuse them for their TMRs and/or use those TMRs to craft a better version of each of them.

Progression:
    • Wind-up Papalymo (accessory): +20 MAG, auto-cast Faith (Buff MAG 20%) to self - Well, first of, an accessory that gives flat MAG is very rare. However, this accessory is quite underwhelming. +20 MAG is equivalent to 10-15% for most mages. There are plenty of other accessories that give much better effect. The auto-faith part is also disappointing since it will be overwritten by buffs, and most buffs are stronger than this. If you run a team with a buffer (I strongly recommend), auto-faith has no value at all.
      • A niche use for this is for people who are around long enough and has Unmatched Wizardly, since an accessory that gives flat MAG is very rare.
      • I don't know if TDH-magic will become a thing or not. If it does, this accessory will become much more valuable.
    • Gungnir (weapon): 90 ATK non-elemental Spear. This one is Kain's TMR. It is an okay weapon. First of, 90 ATK spear is quite good, but not many units benefit from Spear. And most of those who benefit from Spear are dragoon, which due to the Jump mechanic, most of them are bad. If we include other weapon types, 90 ATK is still decent. Not the best, but usable.
    • Wind-up Yda (accessory): +20 ATK, auto-cast Brave (Buff ATK 20%) to self - This looks similar to Wind-up Papalymo, but it's value is actually a complete different story. The auto-Brave is, well, useless because of the same argument. However, the +20 ATK is more valuable in DH/TDH build. There are not many accessory that gives more than 20 ATK. (For non-TMR, only Ifrit's Claw has higher at 30 ATK) So if you run a DH/TDH unit, this is a good choice.
    • Wind-up Alphinaud (accessory): MP regen 5% per turn. This is a decent accessory for mostly Tank (who tend to have low MP, but high cost abilities) or Healer. Keep in mind that, even if the unit already have an innate MP regen, adding a accessory like this will stack. So you can have a unit that regen 10% MP per turn easily.

Featured unit's TMRs:
    • Thancred's Follower's Oath: +10% HP, +10% ATK - This TMR is pretty good. Mainly due to the +10% HP. The +10% ATK is a nice little bonus, but nothing special. In FFBE, when you want to build a unit for survivability, you want to balance between HP and defensive stats (DEF/SPR). In most cast, you will end up in a situation that spending the next materia/equipment slot on adding 10% HP is more beneficial than 10% DEF/SPR. I strongly recommend you try to farm this TMR from this event.
    • Papalymo's Sage's Prajna: +10% HP, +20% MAG - Similar to the above. Although, the +20% MAG is a little better. As pointed out by many veterans, a materia that gives both HP and MAG is also very rare. This make this TMR more valuable than Thancred's. Again, try to get this TMR as much as possible.
    • Yda's Spirit of Freedom: ATK +15%, physical evade +10% - Okay-ish TMR. The best part of it is the physical evade +10%. This is going to be helpful if you want to build a 100% evade tank or something. The ATK part is so-so.
    • Minfilia's Hydaelyn Guard: All elemental resistance +10% - Niche materia. It can be a great help when you need to build up your team's elemental resistance. If you have a magic tank (Mystea, Basch, Chow), this materia will be a great help to build them for 100% elemental resistance in a given element.
    • Y'shtola's Shard of Genius: +20% DEF when equipped with a Robe, +20% SPR when equipped with a Staff - Quite nice TMR. I can see Tanks or Healers can benefit from this. Although, +20% DEF and +20% SPR is effectively the same with +20% HP. But again, to maximize survivability, adding HP is preferred.

Featured unit's TMRs - Upgraded.
    • True Follower's Oath: +15% HP, +15% ATK - Need 5x Follower's Oath
    • True Sage's Prajna: +15% HP, +25% AMG - Need 3x Sage's Prajna
    • True Spirit of Freedom: ATK +20%, physical evade +15% - Need 3x Spirit of Freedom
    • True Hydaelyn Guard: All elemental resistance +15% - Need 2x Hydaelyn Guard
    • True Shard of Genius: +25% DEF when equipped with a Robe, +25% SPR when equipped with a Staff - Need 2x Shard of Genius
    As you see, they just a slightly improved version of the original. If you are a new player, you may want to hold on to the original ones for now and upgrade them later when you have more better stuffs to use. Because, until you need the materia slots for something else, equipping 4x Follower's Oath (40% HP, 40% ATK) is better than one True Follower's Oath (15% HP, 15% ATK). This is true for all of them, except Spirit of Freedom which is unstackable. Upgrading it to True Spirit of Freedom should let you stack it together (True SoF, and SoF), I think (Can anyone confirm ?).
    • Also, big thanks to @Luciella for this thread. Basically make a plan ahead how many upgraded version you want to have. After this Raid is over, you may not be able to get any of the featured units again. So, for example, if you want 4x True Sage's Prajna, you want to make sure you have 12x Papalymo saved up. At the end, you may be able to take 8 of them to 100% trust and get 8 Sage's Prajna, and you may have to moogle the last 4 Papalymo for the last 4 Sage's Prajna.
    Featured unit's equipment quick look
    All of these items are decent to good for new players. So regardless of what it is, I recommend you craft one set of each (one for headgear, one for armor, two for accessory, and upto two for weapon for DW build). If you have extra material left, you can craft a second set just in case. Personally, I like these equipment a lot. They focus on what each unit needs perfectly (e.g. Yda who is a damage dealer gets nice ATK and HP gears or Minfilia who is a support gets nice defensive gears). If you don't have enough materia, I would focus on Minfilia's and Y'shtola first as they seem to have the longest serviceability among the five.

Last words: I admit I spent less time writing about this than the previous two. Please let me know if I made any mistakes. Suggestions/Comments are welcomed. Apologize in advance for my Enkrish.

Edit 1: Corrected a typo in True Hydaelyn Guard.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  2. Kaiser_Decimation

Kaiser_Decimation Ascended Member

Global ID:
    295 801 115
    Leads:
    Olive / Aileen
    Both Hydaelyn Guard show a 10% elemental def increase. Is that a typo? Is the true one not more?

And this is really helpful in planning how much I need to farm for my alt :)

3. aa25

aa25 Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/OK
    Oops. Typo. Copy and Paste fails.

4. Kaiser_Decimation

Kaiser_Decimation Ascended Member

Global ID:
    295 801 115
    Leads:
    Olive / Aileen