1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

[Guide] NieR Automata: Destroy the Machine Lifeform - Progression and Crafting Items

Discussion in 'Guides' started by aa25, Nov 23, 2018.

1. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/Ayaka/S.Nichol/Barb/Lilith
    New Raid, guys. You know the drill. This time is a little different though. This guide is written based on the re-run version. I had not started play the game yet when this event first ran. I don't know if they are identical or not. Guessing from the fact that there is a TMR as a progression reward, I think it is updated. I would say Gumi did a good job this time. Anyway, let's start.

Progression:
    • Aqua Blade (90 ATK, Water element, Grant Two Blade Stance; Sword): This is Camille's TMR and a decent sword. There is quite a lot of thing to talk about this weapon. First of all, Two Blade Stance grants Dualwield for sword only. This is a nice source of Dualwield for your damage dealers, if he/she still needs one. However, this is not a good substitution for the actual Dualwield since it limits your weapon options only to sword. In most cases, you want to DW two different weapon types so that you can equip the unit with as many mastery materias as possible. Granted, Sword has many masteries supporting it, but having more options still makes it easier to gear. This weapon also comes with Water element which is not bad especially if you have Aloha Lasswell or Tidus. (Tidus will want to equip his TMR asap, but Lasswell will be fine for a while.) Even if you don't have them, this weapon still lets you chain nicely with friend units. Lastly, at 90 ATK, it is a decent weapon.
      • Be careful when using this sword. Dualwielding it with another elemental weapon will make your phy attacks dual-element which, in general, a bad idea.
      • Since this TMR is featured along with an event that also drop Pod-53 moogle, these two have a very nice synergy, as pointed by @Hollis below, in KM event. You can give this weapon to one of the KM bonus unit along with Pod 53 for chaining to farm LGD stage. (Note: I usually don't compare stuffs with limited-unit's TMR, but this time is an exception.)
    Crafting: Sadly, this is a rerun event. Most craftable items are not that good anymore. But I think they still have their uses.
    • Cruel Oath (105 ATK, Grant Cruel Oath, Katana; Limited to 1 copy): At the current stage of the game, this weapon is quite on the underwhelming side. Cruel Oath is an ability that will buff the unit for 40% all stats for 3 turns when the unit's HP is drop below 30%. Sadly, this ability is useless now since typical buffers, which you should have in your team in most cases, can give your much better buffs without having to jump through an extra hoop lowering the HP down. Being a Katana also limits it's uses a bit since there are only a few Katana Masteries, in fact, only Chizuru's TMR is a notable one. At 105 ATK is decent, but you can easily get Genji Blade (107 ATK, Katana) from Gilgamesh trials which is one the easy side. If you are running low on materials, I would skip it. But if you have some to spare, I would craft it for it's decent ATK.
    • Iron Will (40 ATK, 15% DEF, Great Sword): This one is actually quite good. Defensive Greatsword is very rare. 15% DEF is not much, but, for tanks who don't have better weapons to use, it is definitely better than nothing. At 40 ATK, this weapon is pretty much useless for damage dealers. I would craft one or two for defensive purpose.
      • Some notable tanks who can use Great Sword, but not other better defensive weapon types are Elfreeda, Leopold, and Zargabaath (due to his passive).
    • Heavy Armor:B (36 DEF, 30 MP, Heavy Armor): A decent Heavy Armor due to the 30 MP. At 36 DEF, it is quite weak for a Heavy Armor. The 30 MP part, however, quite good for tanks who tend to have MP issue. You can also give it to your KM bonus unit to let them use ability from esper/materia/equipment more times before running out of MP. I would craft like 3-4 for your KM farming team.
    • Dragoon Lance (55 ATK, Grant 10% Jump damage, Spear): This is a terrible weapon. 55 ATK is way too low to make it useful in general cases. The 10% jump damage is also way too low to make up for that. I would skip it.
      • I'm not sure if this is the right place for this. FWIW, Dragoon is not as bad as before anymore thanks to the introduction of timed-jump abilities. Some dragoon has become or will become a viable burst-style damage dealers. Equipment that gives bonus to jump damage can be a great boost to dragoon's damage output (this particular weapon is too low though).
    • Type-3 Fists (60 ATK, 20% chance to inflict Confuse, Fists): This one is kinda okay-ish. 60 ATK for a fist is not that bad (it is the highest among non-TMR and non-difficult-trial rewards fists). If we forget about the weapon type, 60 ATK is bad. I won't recommend you using this weapon if the unit can use different weapon types. The 20% chance to inflict Confuse can be useful in the arena, however most people who do arena for serious will likely have all status ailment protections on their team. I would craft one or two if your damage dealer(s) needs a temporary fists weapon, or if you want to do a little trolling in arena. Otherwise, you can skip it.
    • Ancient Overlord (62 ATK, increase critical chance by 20%, Sword): This is kinda interesting weapon due to the 20% crit chance. Before we get to that part, a Sword at 62 ATK is quite bad, so this is not good without utilizing the crit chance. In FFBE, 'critical attack' only occurs on normal attack and 'counter with normal attack'. This will be useful only if you build a counter-oriented unit. I would skip it still, unless you are interested in trying something new, non-meta, or unconventional just-for-fun type of thing.
      • Critical attack in FFBE is simply additional damage variance (10%-70%, according to this page) on top of every else.
      • Keep in mind that Dualwield-ing does not affect counter. Counter will only attack once.
      • There are abilities that say something about critical hit as well (like Elfreeda's Frostbite). A the time of writing, I still have no idea how these abilities work exactly. Based on the in-game wording, I think it means these abilities have the 'critical' damage variance attached to it (normal abilities do not have that), i.e. the critical always proc'd. If that is the case, increase the critical chance does not affect these abilities.
        • Note: I have been trying to test this out. I cannot figure it out an easy way yet since there are 3 damage variances that need to be taken into account; 'Weapon', 'Critical', and intrinsic variant of all attacks. It is not so straightforward to check if the 10%-70% critical variance is always there or just by chance.
    • Emil's Head (30 DEF, 15% MAG, Helm): This is a weird unique and uncommon helm. First of all, 15% MAG on a Head slot is quite nice. However, there are only a few unit who benefit from MAG and can equip Helm, mostly Hybrid damage dealers. For the 30 DEF part is quite good for a helm and among the highest non-TMR, and non-limited items. So even if the unit does not benefit from the 15% MAG, it is still a good helm. Overall, this is a solid helm and good to have around, even though you don't have any unit that benefits from it right away. I would recommend you craft 4-5 copies for your team.
      • In the future (quite far away from now), there will be pure mages who can only equip Helm, like 5*-based Golbez (i.e. Golbeza... Am I the only one who feels awkward calling him Golbez ?). This helm will be useful for those units.
    Alright, that is it. As usual, let me know if you have comments or suggestions. If you know how ability with critical works, please let me know.

Edit 1: Add a synergy use between Aqua Blade and Pod 53 in farming KM. Edit the write up about Emil's Head which was unintentionally sounded underwhelming.
    Edit 2: Add an example of pure mage who needs a Helm as suggested by Hollis

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Goddess Nyx, fletcha, Eureka and 6 others like this.
  2. Hollis

Hollis Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reberta
    Well I have different opinion about some of the stuff; especially for aqua blade and emil's head.
    1. For Aqua Blade, I think it is a very very good stuff. Very useful TMR, dual wield yes, and elemental too. You can easily use this in combination with pod153 to run king mog LGD difficulty as long as the bonus units can equip this one. Elemental chains, and one strong unit to finish and you can net a lot of currency from mog king events.

2. Emil's head is rather niche. Yes, very niche... and also a very useful one for mages with helms (in case we're getting Dark mage Golbez). We don't have a lot of selections of this kind of equipment. So this one can be either meh or the real gem. At least f2p-wise, this one will be very important.

3. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Good points! I totally agree about Emil's Head. The original write-up somehow had an unintentionally negative tone. (Oops..) It is a good gear to have certainly.

4. Hollis

Hollis Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reberta
    The thing is... I suppose you've never came across a mage that uses helm.. let's say.. sol for example..
    In Sol's banner, one of the 4* unit has a good magic helm as TMR but I am lacking the mag helm.. so in order to gear him properly... I should use Emil's head.
    Suppose we didn't get NieR rerun in JP... How should I gear my sol if I have no 100% tmr moogle?
    That was basically one of the illustration I could make...

5. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    I don't play or follow JP version, so I don't know much about future units.

6. Hollis

Hollis Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reberta
    I mean I was giving a bit of example how "useful" Emil's head could ever be...
    If you are stocked with 100% moogle, tmr's or farming TMR quickly, it is trash...
    But if you're not.. they are totally useful

7. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    I think we are in agreement and on the same page about Emil's Head. (Granted, my original write-up had a wrong tone. I've already rewritten it.) Do you think I should put Sol as an explicit example ? I feel like he is way to far in the future and this item is not that expensive to craft (which I already recommend crafting 4-5 of them already). I kinda want to keep it short for easy reading, but if you think an explicit example is necessary, please let me know.

8. Hollis

Hollis Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reberta
    Nope... Because on sol's banner, there will be a 4* unit that has magic helm TMR..
    Dark mage golbez is more appropriate because he uses helm and it was before sol came to the game

9. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    The example is added. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

10. Hollis

Hollis Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reberta
    no worries mate!!