1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

[Guide] Team Composition Recommendation for New/Intermediate Players

Discussion in 'Guides' started by aa25, May 26, 2019.

1. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    I finally realized that I will probably type the following stuffs answering questions for many more times. I guess it is not a bad idea to type it all once and refer to this instead in the future.

Last update: 8/15/2020

In my opinion, team composition is one of the most important factor in tackling a trial or a boss, but it also seems to be the most common thing that confuses new players. Therefore, I would like to write something about it. Before we get into details, let's talk about the goal and scope of this write up.

First and foremost, this guide is written targeting new to intermediate players. Granted, I have seen many other write-ups on this very topic. I just feel like I want to write it up with my own points and perspective. At this point, I intend to keep it update.

The goal and the target audience of this guide is:
    1) Provide a template of a team that may be required for beating Weekly Vortex Bosses/Challenges and Middle-level Trials.

It is hard to gauge what Middle-level trials are. If I may, I would say Armor of Oppression and below in Chambers of the Fallen, first half of Chamber of Arms (Sheratan to Brachium), and Scorn of Surging Menace and below in Chamber of Indignants. Certainly, there are difficulty variations among these trials as well. Some trials are more difficult than the others and require more preparation and roster strength.​
    2) Provide a general direction, i.e. what unit roles to look out for and level up, of a team for a player to develop his/her roster.

There is really no 'the right way' of playing FFBE. This guide is written to convey the basic concept of the team composition that are usually recommended and arguably the easiest to form. There are other team compositions that may work or even work better in certain situations, but this composition should give you a guideline or template to work on.

There is a lot of room in FFBE. You can adjust the team and strategy as you see fit. You can experiment and try something out of ordinary e.g. a team of 4x dmg dealers. Although, do note that the performance of such team may be different from a well-balanced team. Just keep in mind that, if you are running into a wall, this team composition and this guide may be able to help serving as a safety net to fall back to.

As many other RPG/JRPG, your overall team strength also plays an important role. If you team is much stronger than the boss you are facing, there will be more room for you to do things differently. Similarly, you will not get to fight and win against some difficult bosses from day 1 or month 1. It will take time to develop your team.

Okay, now that all of those stuffs are out of the way. Let's go over another book-keeping thing, Terminology.

==========================================================

Main Unit Role Glossary:

These are terms I will use to refer to unit roles in this write up.

• Physical/Magic Cover tank: A tank whose primary task is to use his/her cover skill to protect the rest of the team. AoE covering skills function based on the Attack Type. Currently, there are only two types of AoE covering skills; Physical and Magic. Physical Cover Tank can cover all attacks that are Physical or Hybrid Type and Magic Cover Tank can cover all Magic or Hybrid Type. In some uncommon cases, there are also attacks of Fixed Attack Type that are not coverable.
      • Cover (provided by @valar with some edit by me): When a tank uses the Cover ability, he/she is able to intercept an enemy's attack and takes the damage instead of the original target(s) of the attack. Furthermore, Cover abilities also have 'Cover Dmg Mitigation', which reduces the amount of dmg inflicted on the tank, and is generally in the 50-70% range. For example, if Wilhelm is covering and the enemy does a Physical Attack against a different unit, Wilhelm will not only intercept that attack, he will also take less damage than that other units would have taken due to the mitigation and having higher defensive stats. Thus, these tanks can protect other units that would otherwise may be killed by boss' attacks.
      • Cover Tank only covers the dmg part of the attack. If the attack also has non-dmg part, e.g. inflicting status ailment, imperil, and stats debuffs, these parts will be inflicted on the original target(s).
      • Cover Tank also works for the opponent's counter attack.
      • Each offensive ability has two 'attributes', Attack Type and Damage Type. Loosly speaking, Attack Type determines how the ability will interact with the target's passive and abilities. Damage Type determines how the amount of damage will be calculated. For more information see: https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Mechanics#Damage_Types
    • Support - Buffer: A unit whose primary tasks involve granting the team various kinds of protection. The most common ones are percentage stats buffs and dmg mitigation. There are other types of buffs, such as elemental resistance and ailments resistance. These buffs are also important in certain situations. MP recovery is also sometimes considered as a buffer's task.
      • DEF/SPR buff: Reduce the dmg that units take from incoming attacks.
      • ATK/MAG buff: Increase unit's dmg output.
      • Dmg Mitigation: There are three different types of this buff. General, Physical, and Magic. Physical and Magic dmg mitigation will reduce dmg from Physical and Magic Attack Type, respectively. They both also reduces dmg from Hybrid Attack Type. General dmg mitigation will reduce dmg from Physical, Magic, Hybrid, and Fixed Attack Type.
      • Elemental Resistance: Reduce dmg from attacks of the same element as the buff. If the attack has more than one element, the final reduction will be the average of the resistance of all element involved.
      • Break Resistance Buff: Prevent units from getting inflicted with break. (It does not remove breaks that are already in-effect on the unit at the time of cast).
      • Ailments/Charm/Stop resistance: Prevent units from getting inflicted with ailments/Stop/Charm. (It does not remove those ailment that are already in-effect on the unit at the time of cast).
      • AoE Mirage: Allow the team to evade the next Physical Attack. Typically, most abilities that give this buff allows evading one attack, but some rare abilities may give two or three. Do note that that it does not allow the unit to evade Fixed Attack.
    • Support - Debuffer: A unit whose primary task is using his/her debuff skills on targets. There are generally two types of debuff, stats debuff (aka, Breaker) and elemental resistance debuff (aka, Imperil). In most cases, ATK and MAG debuffs, when applicable, are considered the most important task of a breaker. DEF/SPR debuffs and elemental imperil are considered as offensive buffs and can amplify the dmg output of your team significantly. However, in typical strategy, keeping your team alive is considered more important than starting dealing a lot of dmg to an enemy right away.
      • ATK/MAG break: Reduce dmg dealt by the target.
      • DEF/SPR break: Weaken the target's defense. Increase the damage dealth to the target.
      • Imperil: Increase elemental dmg of the same element to the target.
      • For more details about how much effect each amount of break has, check this page: https://brave-exvius.com/threads/breaks-how-strong-are-they-really.21357/
      • Currently for 7* units, a strong breaker can provide 74% or more break, while an average is around 70%.
    • Healer: A unit whose primary task is to recover the team's HP and revive units, including revive via Reraise. MP-recover is sometimes considered as a task of a healer rather than Support.
      • Healer & Buffer: Currently, the line separating healer and buffer is quite fuzzy. Many healers have buffer's abilities. For example, 7*Folka can provide ailments and stats debuffs resistance and 7*Yuna can provide elemental resistance and stats buff (LB).
    • Chainer: A unit whose primary role is dealing dmg by executing multi-hit moves and create a chain (for chain dmg mod). See: https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Chaining
    • Finisher: A unit whose primary role is dealing dmg by using 1-hit or a-few-hits move. A move is considered a finishing move if it provides high enough dmg mod or having high enough passive to amplify it (e.g. Dragoon's jump). Thus, not all 1-hit and a-few-hits moves are considered finishing move.
    • Provoke Tank: A unit whose primary role is to draw all single-target (ST) abilities upon himself/herself. Unlike cover tank, provoke tank doesn't differentiate between Attack Types. As long as the ability is ST, the tank who is provoking will be targeted. This also includes non-dmg dealing abilities.
      • Note that there are abilities that bypass provoking as well.
      • Provoke does not work on the opponent's counter attack.
      • There are some tanks who can be build with 100% passive Draw Attack. In battles, these tanks will draw all ST attacks to himself/herself without having to use any active abilities. Currently, tanks who have the 'draw attack' passive less than 70% require a limited time item (Wrappred Gift, Producer Jacket, Moogle Charm). Tanks who have more than 70% 'draw attack' passive can achieve this build with Moogle Plushie (Iris' TMR).
    • Support - Chainer: A unit whose primary tasks are those of support or tank. However, the unit also has chaining abilities that can be used to build up the chain dmg modifier for your main dmg dealer, both chainer or finisher. The expected dmg output from these units are usually low and won't be a reliable source for dmg alone.

Team Composition:

Alright, now that is out of the way, let's finally start talking about the main topic of this write up.

In FFBE, you will likely start from doing the Main Story (the ones you play as Rain/Lasswell). After that, you will start doing Weekly Vortex Event (King Mod, Raid, and Story Event). On the second week of these events, except Story Event, there will be a boss battle associated with the event for you to challenge. For Story Event, at the end of the event (after 85 NRG stage), there will be a boss stage (Bonus Stage) for you to challenge. On top of that, you can also start tackling trial bosses in Chambers of Arms (10-man Trials), Chamber of the Fallen, and Chamber of Indignant. This guide is meant to more or less cover how to prepare a team for those bosses.
    The Main Story is more or less a sandbox mode. The bosses there are usually easy enough for you to approach with any team you want, with a few exceptions (e.g. Sol, Behemoth, Hyoh, etc) and 3* Esper. Weekly Vortex Event and Bosses are, imo, the core contents of FFBE. Trial Chamber bosses, which are permanently added, are more or less a challenging mode.​
    When you start to tackling Weekly Vortex bosses, i.e. KM, Raid, and Story - Bonus Stage bosses, or bosses in Trials Chambers, i.e. Arms, Fallen, Indignant, you may notice a difficulty gap from bosses in the Main Story. These bosses will require you to prepare your team accordingly to deal with them.
    Again, this is where your overall team strength may effects your experience. You may feel like you need less preparation if your team is stronger than the boss. Conversely, for upper-end contents in term of difficulty, you may have to form a team way more complicated than what presented in this write up. In addition, there are some special trials that are designed around very specific strategy, such as Damage Rush (3*Odin, Ancient Hellbringer, etc.). These trials will require you to tackle them with a team that may be quite different from generic team composition presented in this guide.​

In any cases, the most recommended team composition for these contents consists of:

1x Cover tank: Either Physical or Magic depending on which Attack Type is more commonly used by the boss.
    1x Breaker
    1x Support - Buffer
    1x Healer
    2x Chainer
    : One of your own, and one friend unit
    • Tanking: In this team, the Cover Tank's main task to protect your team with the cover skill and that should be the first thing you letting the tank do in the first turn. For a team like this, letting the cover tank be in charge of provoke duty is also common. Although, it is not always necessary. If the boss' ST attacks do not hit that hard, you can skip the provoking part entirely and let the rest of your team, which are already supported by buffer and breaker, take some dmg. Conversely, if the ST is harmful to your team, letting the cover tank to provoke as well (cast provoke on turn 2) may be a good idea (or adapt your team to include a dedicated provoker, see more details below).
    • Breaker: As always, if the boss is not immune to ATK/MAG debuff, that should be the first priority for your breaker on turn 1. You can adapt and improvise what you want the breaker to do in other turns as you see fit.
    • Buffer: Buffing the team's DEF/SPR and providing dmg mitigation should be the priority. These tasks usually require 1-2 turns from your buffers. If your healer, or even dmg dealers, can help with that, let them help too. Similar to the breaker, the rest of the buffer's rotation can be utilized as you see fit.
    • Healer: Usually, the healer will not have anything to do on the first turn. You can utilize that turn to help your buffer or tank. For the turns later, the healer will mostly be focusing on healing the tank and the rest of team.
    • Chainers: Well, they usually have one job. Do damage. Although, if you need to, don't hesitate to let them help your team to survive. It is usually recommended to use friend unit as a second chainer since it is more difficult to gear two dmg dealers, instead of concentrate all the good offensive equipment on one unit. Support or healer, on the other hand, are usually much easier to gear.

Examples of Adapted Team Composition:

I would like talk about some variation of the team composition that can be adapted to the situation. Please keep in mind that these are just some examples. There are many other ways to adapt your team to suit the situation.

Bringing a dedicated provoke tank (aka, Two-tanks team)
    1x Cover tank
    1x Provoke tank
    1x Support/Breaker
    1x Healer
    2x Chainers

In this team, a separate provoke tank is used as a second tank. The support's duty will be distributed among the team.
    There are some situations that using one tank for both covering and provoking is a bad idea. The most common situation is when the boss open it's turn with heavy ST dmg. For cover tanks, a large portion of his/her bulkiness comes from the cover dmg mitigation, which reduces incoming dmg to the tank when the cover ability is already proc'd. Since cover ability only proc when an ally is targeted, if the tank is the one who is provoking, the heavy dmg will always target the tank and the cover skill will not proc. The tank will take a lot of dmg which potentially soften the tank significantly. The situations include, but not limit to, 1) When the tank is equipped to take Physical dmg, but the boss uses ST Magic dmg first. 2) The boss uses ST percentage HP dmg.​
    Usually, if the boss is immune to break, the provoke tank can simply replaces the breaker. If the boss is not immune and including a breaker in a team is recommended, the provoke tank usually replaces the buffer and let the rest of the team cover the buffer tasks.
    In the case that the boss is not immune to break, being able to have Cover, Provoke, and Break up since turn 1 is recommended. Thus, it is quite uncommon to replace the breaker with a provoke tank and postpone casting breaks to later turns.​

Single Chainer with Support - Chainer
    1x Cover tank
    1x Provoke tank
    2x Support/Breaker (one as Support-chainer)
    1x Healer
    1x Chainer

In some cases, a heavy-loaded defense is needed. One of the chainers is replaced by another defensive unit (e.g. a provoke tank). One of the defensive unit will be one of those who can chain with the chainer. The dmg output of this team will be chaining between the main chainer (who will do most of the dmg) and the support-chainer (assist the main chainer, may not deal as much dmg.) In this case, you will likely not dealing dmg every turn and let the support-chainer focus on his/her support duty first.

Adding a finisher to the team
    1x Cover tank
    1x Support/Breaker
    1x Healer
    2x Chainer
    1x Finisher

This is more or less the opposite from the above. If your team defense is high enough to handle the boss' attacks, you can replace one of the support units with a finisher to provide more dmg.

Still Confused ?

If you are still confused, feel free to open a thread on 'Team Help' sub-forum asking for more specific suggestions, especially about unit options. This is pretty much something to be expected since we all have different and unique roster situations, such as available options in term of units. (Technically, this write up is written to collect parts of the answer that are going to be the same for everyone.) We are friendly, sometimes over-friendly, community. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Last words:

I think that is all I have to mumble for now. It took me way longer than expected to finisher this write-up. (Close to a month, I think. I wrote it on-and-off though.) I hope this write up will be useful and helpful for players who are looking into tackling some bosses and/or trials. (And helping myself the next time I answer a question about team composition.) As always, please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. Again, this write-up is written targeting new/intermediate players. I have skipped quite a lot of complicated stuffs to try to keep in 'short' (still over 8,000 words, apparently). Please let me know if you think there are anything I should include in the main text. I can't promise I will be able to include it, partly subjecting to my own experience with the topic.

Version:

1.0: Initial release
    1.1: Add sections about unit rarity and example of each unit role. Add clarification about special trials like Damage Rush and upper-end trial that may require very complex team. Add a section encouraging new/intermediate players to ask questions. Incorporate write-up provided by @valar (Thanks!!)
    1.2: Add more info about target audience and goals of the guide.
    2.0: Move some topics over to the next post and add a guide on how to build a unit. For once, I get to use a post I reserved before hand.
    2.01: Update unit examples section upto Elena/Morgana/Rivera banners.
    2.02: Update unit examples section upto M.Terra/A.Locke banners.
    2.03: Update unit examples section upto CNY 2020 banners
    2.1: Various updates to reflect current meta. Add AoE Mirage to the list of buffer ability since it now becomes more common than before. Rewrith stuffs about TDW a bit since most new units can imbue now. Update unit example section upto April 2020 (first Dark Vision banner).
    3.0: Add the third part about non-dupe chaining.
    3.1: Revise info about auto-provoke under Provoke Tank and make a copy of that under Special Build\
    3.1.1: Update unit list up to WC.Ace and BB.Rem banner
    3.2: Update unit list up to DH.Ashe/Vossler banner. Remove Provoker category to reduce cluttering since most cover tanks these days provide that as well.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Ɲigђtwalker, Nixilu, DoWi and 28 others like this.
  2. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Supplementaries

This is a collection of other topics that are related to building a team, but I don't want to clutter and/or lengthen the main post.

1) Unit Rarity Lists and Example

Similar to any other Gacha games, FFBE presents units with different rarity tier. In principle, the higher the tier the more powerful the unit is. Although, due to 'powercreep', which is a part of any gacha game, some new lower-tier units, may be more powerful than older, but higher-tier, units. At the current stage of the game, I think it is fair to say that , in most cases, only units that can reach at least 6* rarity are worth consideration. Although, there are exceptions for units that cannot reach 6* rarity but possess rare perks that still worth consideration, such as 3*Shantotto (Tornado/Aeroja), 3*Shera (cheapest Entrust), Sara (AoE Mirage), and Celes (Magic Seal).

When you summon a unit, it will arrive at it's base rarity. The unit can be upgraded to higher rarity, aka 'Awakening', using certain materials and gils. Not every unit can be awakened up to the same rarity. Currently, 7* rarity is the highest available rarity and is supposed to be the strongest form. Only 5*based units can be awakened to 7* rarity. Since the resources needed to awaken a unit to 6* rarity, if the unit can be awakened to, is relatively easy to obtain, 3*-4* based unit are usually evaluated based on their 6* forms. For 5* based unit, there are usually separate evaluation of it at 6* and 7* rarities since awakening these units to 7* requires a dupe of the same unit which is not always easy to obtain.
    Some 5* based units have large differences in performance in their 6* and 7* forms. In some cases, these 5* units are only good and/or worth using only in 7* forms.​

Before we move to the next topic, I think it is worth mentioning that, from my experience, majority of the game contents are not designed such that 7* units are necessity. Many contents are still designed around units at 6* rarity. These includes the Weekly Vortex Bosses (King Mog and Raid) and Story Event Bonus Stage.

For new/intermidiate players, your focus should be forming a team of units at 6* rarity (can be of any base rarity) or higher. 7* units should be considered as an upgrade that you can look forward too, but should not be a 'Stop Sign' for you to enjoy the content. Put it in other words, don't be too fixated over 7* units. More ofthen than not, a well-balance team of 6* rarity units can out-perform a team of 7* units that are poorly put together.

The same things go for based rarity. While 5* based unit at 7* rarity is the goal you should work toward to, do not sleep over some 3* or 4* based units since they can serve as a good 'stepping stone' for your team development.

Unit Examples

Note: These units are not in particular ordered, except the order at which I can recall them.

Physical Cover tank
    Units Base rarity Minimum requirement Investment
    Veritas of Earth 4* at 6* form Not recommended. Won't be serviceable in upper-end contents
    Warrior of Light 4* at 6* form Not recommended. Won't be serviceable in upper-end contents
    Leopold 4* at 6* form Not recommended. Won't be serviceable in upper-end contents
    Basch 5* at 6* form Usable, but may not serviceable at the very upper-end contents without intensive equipment and/or external support. Provide mostly only tanking.
    Sieghard 5* at 6* form Likely usable even in the very upper-end contents, but may require intensive equipment and/or external support. Also provide some defensive buffs (LB and Earth resistance buffs).
    Warrior of Dawn Galuf 5* at 6* form Usable in the very upper-end contents. Also providing strong LB-support and buffs. Good option
    Awakened Warrior of Light 5* at 6* form Usable even in the very upper-end contents. Also providing strong support-healing and buffs. Good option
    Hallowed Aegis Charlotte 5* at 6* form Usable in the very upper-end contents. Also provide strong defensive buffs. Very good option
    Wilhelm 5* at 7* form Usable, but may not serviceable at the very upper-end contents, unless provided with intensive equipment and external support. Offer some LB-support through buffs and counter attacks. Not recommended (due to having to be in 7* form and offer very limited support).
    Mercenary Ramza 5* at 7* form Usable, but may not serviceable at the very upper-end contents. Not recommended due to having to be in 7* form and offer almost nothing beside tanking.
    Magic Cover Tank
    Mystea 4* at 6* form Not recommended. Won't be serviceable in upper-end contents
    Shylt 4* at 6* form Not recommended. Won't be serviceable in upper-end contents
    Awakened Rain 5* at 6* form Usable, but may not serviceable at the very upper-end contents without intensive equipment and/or external support. Provide mostly only tanking.
    Basch 5* at 6* form Usable, but may not serviceable at the very upper-end contents without intensive equipment and/or external support. Provide mostly only tanking.
    Sacred Shield Charlotte 5* at 6* form Usable in the very upper-end contents. Also provide strong defensive buffs. Good option
    Paladin Cecil 5* at 6* form Usable in the very upper-end contents while providing strong defensive buffs. Very good option.
    Hallowed Aegis Charlotte 5* at 6* form Usable in the very upper-end contents while providing strong defensive buffs (except LB since her LB will force her to do physical cover). Very good option.
    Vossler 5* at 6* form TBD
    Sieghard 5* at 7* form Usable if necessarily needed, but have many weaknesses due to the ability is a cooldown-ability (get Dispeled/killed). Not recommended.
    Mercenary Ramza 5* at 7* form Usable if necessarily needed, but have many weaknesses due to the ability is a cooldown-ability (get Dispeled/killed). Not recommended.
    Debuffer - Breaker
    Units Base rarity Minimum requirement Note Investment
    Meliadoul 4* at 6* form, ability enhancement ST 50% break, require ability enhancement Not recommended. Won't be serviceable in upper-end contents
    Steiner 4* at 6* form, ability enhancement AoE 50% break, require ability enhancement Not recommended. Won't be serviceable in upper-end contents
    Friese 4* at 6* form ST 65% on LB all stats, single-stats on-demand Not recommended. Won't be serviceable in upper-end contents
    Eclipsa 4* at 6* form 65% AoE on LB all stats, but also target allies, 50% AoE single stats on-demand Not recommended. Won't be serviceable in upper-end contents
    Hope (FFXIII-2) 4* at 6* form 70% AoE on LB all stats, also give 150% all stats buff, but there is no any other sources of break Not recommended. Won't be serviceable in upper-end contents
    Auron 5* at 6* form ST 60% on-demand, dual-castable, 7* form for LB with his own TMR/STMR equipped recommended Likely usable even in the very upper-end contents once in 7* form (LB:74% break), but may require intensive equipment and/or external support (LB build). Doesn't provide any other notable support.
    Beowulf 5* at 6* form ST 65% (static)-70% (decaying) on-demand, dual-castable Likely usable even in the very upper-end contents once in 7* form (LB:74% break), but may require intensive equipment and/or external support (LB build). Doesn't provide any other notable support though.
    Summer Fina and Lid 5* at 6* form AoE 65% max-lv LB, AoE 50% on-demand Likely usable even in the very upper-end contents once in 7* form (LB:74% break), but may require intensive equipment and/or external support (LB build). Provide some good defensive buffs, AoE Reraise, and support-chain, including an abiltiy to grant allies a chaining move in AR family.
    Heavenly Technician Lid 5* at 6* form AoE 70% max-lv LB, AoE 50% on-demand Likely usable even in the very upper-end contents once in 7* form and get abilities enhanced (LB:79% break). Doesn't provide any other notable support. Need to use LB every other turn to maintain the break (do not need external LB support once abilities are enhanced).
    King Edgar 5* at 6* form AoE 79% (decaying) max-lv LB, AoE 50% on-demand Likely usable even in the very upper-end contents once in 7* form (LB:74-84% break). Provide some LB-support and imperil. Need to use LB every other turn to maintain 74-84S% break. Don't need external LB-suppport.
    Adventure Locke 5* at 6* form 70% ST on-demand, 84% ST on-LB, and 74% AoE on CD Likely usable even in the very upper-end contents once in 7* form (LB:74% break or 84% with Graviga trick). Also provide AoE Mirage. May require some external LB-support and/or LB build
    Rikku (FFX-2) 5* at 6* form 70% ST on-demand, 84% ST on-LB, and 74% AoE on CD Usable in the very upper-end contents once in 7* form (LB: 80% break). Very good option. Also provide AoE Mirage.
    Destiny Daughter Vanille 5* at 6* form 70% ST on-demand, 84% ST on-LB, and 74% AoE on CD Usable in the very upper-end contents once in 7* form (LB: 80% break). Very good option. Also provide some elemetal resistance buffs.
    Healing Avatar Lid 5* at 6* form 75% AoE on-demand, 85% AoE on-LB, and 80% AoE on CD Usable in the very upper-end contents once in 7* form (LB: 85% break). Very good option..
    Seeker of Freedom Vaan 5* at 6* form 75% AoE on-demand, 84% AoE on-LB Usable in the very upper-end contents once in 7* form (LB: 84% break). Very good option. May need external LB support to maintain the break from his LB which lasts 2 turns. Can also provide respectable/decent (equipment-dependence) finishing dmg. Also has 40% innate phy evade making it relatively easy to build him as evade provoker
    Loren 5* at 7* form, with her own TMR or STMR equipped 74% AoE on LB Likely usable even in the very upper-end contents once in 7* form. Provide some LB-support and support chaining. Don't recommend due to needed to be in 7* while provide limited supports.
    Elephim 5* at 7* form, require ability enhancement 75% AoE on-demand once fully enhanced. Strong buffer/breaker hybrid. Also provide AoE Light imbue/imperil. Need enhancement though.
    Support - Buffer
    [/tr]
    Rikku 4* at 6* form Not recommended. Won't be serviceable in upper-end contents
    Maritime Strategist Nichol 5* at 6* form Okay option. Standard Stats, HP/MP regen, and General Damage Mitigation buffs.
    Seaside Nichol 5* at 6* form Okay option. Standard Stats, HP/MP regen, and General/Type Damage Mitigation buffs. But a bit slow since some of his abilities cannot be dualcast.
    Yuraisha 5* at 6* form Good option, especially with abilities enhanced. Offer many strong standard buffs and unique buffs (120% imperil/killer)
    Sylvie 5* at 6* form Good option. Offer some strong standard buffs and unique buffs such as 100% Lightning/Earth/Light resistance, Lightning/Earth/Light imbue, and Ailment/Break resistance.
    Zargabaath 5* at 6* form, require ability enhancement Okay option. Need to cast LB every other turn. Some LB-support is needed.
    Neverending Hope 5* at 6* form Okay option. Provide only moderate strength stats buff. 70% Fire/Ice/Lightning/Water and 100% Light/Dark resistance, Lightning imbue
    Lunafreya 5* at 6* form Strong buffer with unique buffs (50% Magic Damage Mitigation, Aquan Killer, AoE raraise), including AoE Water 120% imperil/imbue
    Regis 5* at 6* form Strong buffer with unique buffs (50%Damage Mitigation (LB), Demon/Human/Spirit/Undead Killer)
    Sweet Luka 5* at 6* form Good buffer with many unique/rare abilties (Wind imbue). Access to strong buff is locked behind RNG though.
    Epsilon Star Nichol 5* at 6* form Strong buffer. A better version of Maritime Strategist Nichol.
    Elephim 5* at 7* form, require ability enhancement Strong buffer/breaker hybrid. Also provide AoE Light imbue/imperil. Need enhancment though.
    Healer
    Roselia 4* at 6* form, require ability enhancement Not recommended. Won't be serviceable in upper-end contents
    Rosa 4* at 6* form, require ability enhancement Not recommended. Won't be serviceable in upper-end contents
    Deuce 4* at 6* form Not recommended. Won't be serviceable in upper-end contents
    Ayaka 5* at 6* form Okay healer. Also provide Stop resistance but pretty much nothing else. Not recommended since other 5*-based healer can provide the same thing plus more support.
    Lotus Mage Fina 5* at 6* form Good healer. Also offer spammable AoE reraise (LB), moderate strength elemental resistance buffs, and LB-supprot (entrust)
    Folka 5* at 6* form Strong healer. Also provide Ailment/Break/Stop/Charm resitance, strong MP recovery, and spammable HP barrier.
    Myra 5* at 6* form Strong healer. Also provide Ailment/Break/Stop/Charm resitance, LB-support (entrust), stats buffs, and some elemental resistance.
    Aerith 5* at 6* form Okay healer. Also provide Stop resistance but pretty much nothing else. Not recommended since other 5*-based healer can provide the same thing plus more support.
    Warrior of Light Lenna 5* at 6* form Strong healer. Also provide Ailment/Break/Stop/Charm resitance, LB-support (entrust), stats buffs, spammable AoE reraise, and some elemental resistance.
    Doctor Aiden 5* at 6* form Strong healer. Also provide Ailment/Break/Stop/Charm resitance, stats buffs, spammable AoE reraise, and AoE Dark 100% imperil/imbue.
    Yuna 5* at 7* form Good healer. Also offer good HP/MP regen and 70% Fire/Ice/Lightning/Water resitsance buffs
    Rem 5* at 7* form Okay-ish healer. Also provide support chain and some MP recovery, but nothing else Not recommended since other 5*-based healer can provide much more and not required being in 7* form.

2) Building Units

Similar to most RPG/JRPG, building/gearing units plays an important role in building a team.

Parameters
    Note: Physical/Magic/Hybrid/Evoke Damage in this section refers to the Damage Type of each offensive abilities. For details see: https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Mechanics#Damage_Types
    • HP: This is a straightforward parameter. A unit will die if it's HP drops to zero.
    • MP: This is another straightforward parameter. When a unit uses their special abilities or spells, it's MP will be consumed. Note that there are some special abilities that consume Esper Gauge or LB Gauge instead.
    • ATK: This parameters partially determines the dmg output of typical abilities that deal Physical or Hybrid Damage.
    • MAG: This parameters partially determines the dmg output of typical abilities that deal Magic, Hybrid, or Evoke Damage.
    • DEF: This parameters partially determines how much dmg the unit will take from Physcal or Hybrid Damage.
    • SPR: This parameters partially determines how much dmg the unit will take from Magic or Hybrid Damage, and the dmg output of typical abilities that deal Evoke Damage.
    Note:
    • There are abilities that deal Physical Damage but use DEF to determine the dmg output instead. Similarly, there are also abilities that deal Magic Damage that use SPR to determine the dmg output. Abilities like these are uncommon though. As of 5/28/2019, information about these abilities are not available in game. The best sources of information like these are from unofficial sources such as FFBE sub on reddit and FFBE wiki.
    • Typically, Evoke Damage uses both MAG and SPR to determine the dmg output atequal weight, i.e. 50:50 (MAG:SPR). However, there are some abilties that use different ratios of MAG:SPR. For example, Black Mage Golmez's Black Fang uses 60:40 (MAG:SPR).
    Build guideline for each Unit roles
    1. Tanks:
      For all kinds of tanks (Physical Cover, Magic Cover, Provoke, etc.), the most important parameter for them is HP.
      If you are familiar with the concept of Effective HP (eHP), the maximum survivability/bulkiness of a tank is obtained by balancing the tank's HP and DEF/SPR. The equipment in FFBE tends to provide only DEF and/or SPR. In most cases, unless you specifically gear the tank for HP already, you will end up with the unit having 'too high' DEF/SPR, but 'too low' HP. Even if you do maximize the tank HP, in some cases, the tank will still have 'too high' DEF/SPR. Note that, this is true only for some games, and FFBE is one of those.​
      The secondary parameters for tanks are DEF/SPR. For a Cover Tank who does not assume the role of a provoker, the parameter matching the type of the cover ability is the more important one (i.e. DEF for Physical Cover Tank, and SPR for Magic Cover Tank). If the tank also assumes the role of a provoker, you will want to give the tank the other stats as well, since being a provoker will draw all types of attacks upon himself/herself.
      If you run a Two-tanks variance, you can gear the provoke tank to have the opposite stats higher than the other, i.e. if you run a Physical Cover Tank and a Provoke Tank, you can gear the provoker to have only high SPR (and HP).​
    2. Healer/Support(all types)
      The most important stats for Healer and Support are also HP since they are usually in charge of keeping your team alive. The higher their survivability/bulkiness, the safer your team will be. The secondary stats is usually MP since most Healer/Support tend to have abilities that cost a lot of MP. You will want to make sure that they always have enough MP to do their jobs. Lastly, the third priority for them is either DEF or SPR depending on what type of Cover Tank you are using, i.e. what type of damage they may receive. For example, if you use a Physical Cover Tank, you want to give them more SPR, and vice versa.
      Just in case you wonder, the amount of HP that healing abilities provide does scale with the unit's SPR. However, due to the peculiar way the healing ability tiers work, it becomes pretty much not important. Roughly speaking, the amount of HP heal is calculated by using a half of the unit's SPR multiplied by the strength of the healing ability (healing modifier), then added by a flat amount of HP heal on top. For example, Curaga spell has the flat amount of 1000 HP and healing modifier of 3.4x and Curaja spell has the flat amount of 2500 HP and healing modifier of 18x. In addition, most healers have either Curaga-level healing ability (3.4x mod) or Curaja-level healing ability (18x or higher mod). For Curaga-level abilities, they scale very slowly with SPR, i.e. at 400 and 700 SPR, they heals about 1700 and 2100 HP, respectively. For Curaja-level abilities they scale very fast, i.e. at 400 and 700 SPR, they heal about 6000 and 9000 HP, respectively. You usually won't gain much from adding SPR for Curaga-level abilities, while Curaja-level abilities usually heal more than enough even at low SPR. Thus, in either case, adding more SPR may not effect the end result much. There are rare abilities that scale moderately with SPR though, e.g. Eiko's Curaga+2 which has healing modifier of 10x. In this rare case, gearing the unit for SPR may be a good idea. However, units that have abilities like this are very rare.
    3. Damage Dealer
      Damage dealer is the most obvious but yet the most complicated role to gear since there are many factors that decide the dmg output. First of all, to maximize the dmg output, it is not always simply maximizing their ATK or MAG. Stuffs like Killer Effect and Elemental Weapons are always as important as the ATK/MAG themselves. There are many factors to be considered when building a dmg dealer.
      1. Unit types: There are largely two unit types among all types of Damage Dealers; Dualwielder and Doublehander.
        Doublehander (DH/TDH):
        For this type of units, they prefer to have only one weapon equipped along with equipment that provides flat ATK/MAG (i.e. not in percentage), such as Ifrit's Claw (30 ATK) and Demon Mail (10 ATK). Along with those equipment, they also prefer equipment that provides more DH/TDH passive, such as Doublehand and Buster Style, (aka DH/TDH gear).
        DH/TDH passive gives extra ATK/MAG based on the amount of flat ATK/MAG from all equipment. For example, if the unit has a total DH/TDH passive of 200%, an accessory that provides flat 30 ATK (e.g. Ifrit's Claw) will give the unit a total of 90 ATK. The cap on DH/TDH passive is 300%.​
        There are two sub-types. DH stands for Doublehand which works with one-handed weapon only, while TDH stands for True-doublehand which works with both one-handed and two-handed weapons. You can check if the weapon is two-handed by opening the description box of the weapon. If the weapon is two-handed, you should see a white text "Two-handed". For one-handed weapons, there will be no such text.
        Note that the text "2-Handed" at the top-left corner of the weapon slots in the unit's equipment page does not indicate what type the weapon is. It is only an indication that DH/TDH passive is in active.​
        Dualwielder (DW/TDW):
        For this type of units, they prefer to have two weapons equipped in both hands. Usually, if the unit cannot imbue himself/herself, one of the weapon should be non-elemental and the other should be elemental weapon. If the unit can imbue himself/herself, both weapons should be non-elemental. (i.e. Dual-element is usually a bad thing. They are some uncommon specific situations that Dual-element is the way to go, but it is very rare.) See the details about which element you should use in the subsection about building different types of dmg dealer below. The weapon types of the two weapon should also be different since DW/TDW units can gain a more from Mastery Materias (i.e. materia that gives percentage ATK or MAG based on the type of the weapon equipped, such as Large Sword Mastery and Martial Arts Mastery). Although, if some units can work fine with both weapons being of the same type.
        There are two sub-types; DW and TDW. The difference is that TDW, similar to DH/TDH passive, will also give the unit extra ATK/MAG stats based on the amount of flat ATK/MAG from all equipment. Note that, for TDW passive to be in active, the unit has to be equipped with two weapons.​
      2. Elemental Weapons
        For Physical and Hybrid Dmg Dealers, their abilities are effected by the element of the equipping weapons. Thus, you want to equip them with the elemental weapon(s) matching their preference, which is indicated by their innate imperil, matching their chain partner, or matching with the enemies' elemental weakness. If their ability has innate element, you may want to equip the unit with two non-elemental weapons. If the unit can imbue, i.e. adding an element to himself/herself, you can also gear them with non-elemental weapon and rely on the imbue to obtain the element instead.
        In most cases, giving the unit two weapons of different elements is not a good idea. While it is true that having two elements on the attack (dual-element) may be beneficial in some specific cases, it is not in most cases.​
        For Magic and Evoke Dmg Dealers, their abilities are not effected by the element of the weapon(s) equipped. Thus, you can give them any weapon you want.
      3. Killer Effect
        There are materias and weapons that provides Killer passive. Killer passive works by increasing the dmg output when attacking enemies of matching type. This type of passive is very strong and can increase your dmg output by 50%-75% from one equipment slot.
        There are some enemies that are of multiple types (e.g. Human and Avian). For these enemies, the 'total' Killer passive will be the average of all assocaited types. (e.g. against a Human/Avian monster, a unit with 50% Human Killer and 0% Avian Killer will deal 25% more dmg).​
      4. Putting All Together
        1. The first priority when building a damage dealer is to give the unit a weapon with the element it wants, if any.
        2. If the unit is TDH unit, the weapon should also be 2H-weapon, even if it has lower base ATK than 1H-weapon (unless, you need to fulfill the elemental part).
        3. Next is maxing out the unit TDH/TDW passive (300% for TDH, 200% for TDW). If you cannot reach the cap, try going as high as possible.
        4. Then, if you know what enemy type your are going to deal with, then give the units metarias/weapons with Killer Effect matching that.
        5. Lastly, equip the rest of the unit to maximize ATK, MAG, and/or SPR as they need.
        In some cases, if your damage dealers are expected to take some damage, it may be a good idea to give them equipment that improve their survivability/bulkiness as well. Most top-tier damage dealers these days, if geared right and used in the right team, can deal more than enough damage to most contents, even high-end ones. When I first started playing, one advice I received that helps me a lot is "A dead damage dealer will not do you any good".
      1. Special Builds
        These are special builds that are not technically associated with any specific unit role, but more related to what extra functionality you want from the unit.
        1. LB Build:
          Many units have very strong LB that you may want to use it as often as possible or every certain amount of turns. There are two types of LB equipment; LB Fill Rate and auto-LB. LB Fill Rate equipment provides LB Rate passive to the unit, which makes the unit fill his/her LB gauge for more amount from one Limit Burst Stone (LS). (LS is the red/orange crystals you obtain from attacking enemies.) For example, if a unit has 100% Fill Rate passive, he/she will fill the LB gauge by 2 from one 1 LS. Auto-LB equipment will passively fill the unit LB gauge by 1 to 2 at the end of the turn each turn. To my knowledge, there is no cap on the LB Fill Rate passive that a unit can have, but there is a cap of 12 auto-LB per turn for each unit. Loosely speaking, auto-LB is the more reliable and slow approach. Fill Rate is faster, but will always have non-zero risk of missing the amount needed by the time you want. You can utilize these equipment to help the unit to be able to fire his/her LB more frequently and/or reliably.
          Note that, there are units that cannot reliably use their LB every certain amount of turns from Auto-LB equipment alone due to the 12 auto-LB per turn cap. For example, Sylvie whose LB costs 40 and lasts 3 turn (you want to use it every 3 turns) and Heavenly Technician Lid whose LB costs 32 and lasts 2 turns (you want to use it every 2 turns). For these units, you may have to rely on LB Fill Rate equipment or mixing the two together.​
        2. Evade Build:
          There is a parameter called Physical Evasion. When a unit reaches 100% Physical Evasion, it will negate most Physical Attack. (There are some Physical Attacks that can bypass Physical Evasion). This build is usually referred to simply as Evade Build and is mostly used for Tanks or letting a non-tank unit serve as a tank unit. (It is also used in dmg dealers for solo-ing purpose). This build works for both Cover and Provoke Tanks and it is more or less an 'All-or-Nothing' build. You should either reach 100% Physical Evasion to rely on it or not using it at all. If you are okay with relying on your luck, 95% Physical Evasion may work, but I personally do not recommend any value below that.
          • Similarly, there is also Magic Evasion. However, there is no way to reach 100% Magic Evasion at the moment since Magic Evasion passives from equipment do not stack, only the highest amount applies to the unit on top of the unit's innate Magic Evasion.
          • For the list of units with Evasion passives and equipment that provides Evasion, see: https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Category:Evasion
          Note that, when you build a unit this way, the unit tend to have low bulkiness (i.e. how HP/DEF/SPR), even if the unit is a tank, since you tend to have to equip the unit with a lot of Physical Evasion equipment and not having room for anything else. This is an important to keep in mind since the unit still take damage from Magic Attacks as usual.
        3. Elemental Resistance:
          Similar to Physical Evasion build, when a unit has 100% resistance in some element, the unit will not take any damage from that element. Unlike Evasion, enemies can reduce your elemental resistance through imperil. Thus, elemental resistance higher than 100% may be needed in some cases to off-set the opponent's imperil. This build, however, is useful for any units. This type of build can be very useful in 3*Esper and 10-man trials.
        4. Auto-provoke or Passive-provoke:
          This is a very strong build in many situation. Tanks who are built this way will continuously 'provoke' all of enemies' ST attacks upon himself. Since this is a passive, it won't be dispelled which makes this build outstanding in many scenarios. (Typical abilities that provide the unit 'provoke' can be dispelled). Even if the tank is killed and revived later, the tank will continue provoking with this build, unlike provoking through abilities which you need to let the tank to recast it again. Currently, tanks who have less than 70% innate 'draw attack' passive require at least one limited item (Wrapped Gift, Yellow Ballow, K Producer's Jacket, Moogle Charm) to achieve this build. Tanks who have more than 70% 'draw attack' passive can achieve this build with Moogle Plushie (Iris' TMR). (Do note that, enemies' attacks that 'bypass' provoke will also bypass this type of provoking as well.)
    =====================================================

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    χάος, Areas, Master Red and 5 others like this.
  3. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    How to Pick Non-dupe Chainers
    In FFBE, the main ingredient in doing damage is Chaining, or more precisely Elemental/Spark chaining. There is already a good guide about chaining on: https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Chaining So, I won't repeat any info that is already covered there.

What I will mumble in this part is how to pick the pair of chainers. Since at this stage of the game, there are many units that share the same chaining family and there exist pairs of non-dupe units that chain well or even perfect together.

First of all, if you can find a dupe to chain with and/or chaining with a dupe is allowed, go with it. Chaining with a dupe (i.e. friend unit) is the most simple and easiest way to achieve high dmg output. Chaining with a non-dupe usually comes with quite complicated issues that you may need to find the solution specific to your situation at the time. Also, keep in mind that all chainers receive their reputation and dmg output based on chaining with a dupe using specific order of abilities. A top unit that is chaining with a non-dupe units doesn't necessary perform as well as chaining with a dupe. In some case, the performance of the said top unit chaining with a non-dupe may become subpar then some other subpar unit with suitable non-dupe chain partner.

Before getting into the details, let me put this up front.

Two different units that have abilities belong to the same chain family, DOES NOT necessary mean they work well together. In fact, in some cases, they work horribly together.

The reason for that is, on top of chain family, each unit also have, the so-called, Rotation. On top of that, each unit may preferred different Element and/or Chaining family.

To emphasize it again, if a unit is said to have great dmg output, it is because of using a specific Rotation, Elements, and Chaining Family. Outside the specific ones, the units may not perform as good as what they are praised for, in fact it could be much worse than that.

1.Rotation

In a nutshell, Rotation refers to what the unit will do each turn in the battle. For dmg dealer, this usually includes two things; 1) Using Cooldown (CD) abilities and LB, 2) using multi-casting.

For dmg dealers, most of them rely on their respective CD abilities to give themselves strong buffs, unlock powerful abilities, adding element, etc. In some case, their LB also serves similar purposes. The key thing to keep in mind here is that CD abilties and LB, in general, are not always available to use at any time and each dmg dealers will want to use their CD/LB at a specific time to make sure their dmg output potential is optimized/maximized.
    For example,
    1) Ifrit Fire Rain (SR chainer) has two CDs. One is on 5-turn cooldown will give him 250% ATK buffs and unlock his Triple-cast ()TC ability (i.e. once you use it, it won't be available again until 5 turns later). The other CD is a very high dmg mod chaining move (43x) which is on 3 turns. Therefore, IF.Rain will prefer to use his first CD (to unlock TC and buff himself) every fifth turn to ensure that the TC is always available and the second CD every third turn.
    2) Awakened Onion Knight (also SR chainer) has two CDs.One is on 6 turn cooldown which give him 200% ATK buff, unlock his TC for 3 turns, and increase dmg modifier of his other dmg dealing ability. The other one is mostly a dmg dealing ability with dmg mod of about 20x which is on 2-turns cooldown. A.OK also wants to use his LB every 5 turns to increase the dmg mod of his other abilities too. Essentially, A.OK will want to use his first CD every 6 turns and he will have access to TC only 3 turns out those 6 turns (technically, you will get to use his TC only twice). While, along the way, he will want to use his LB too.​
    As you can see from the above example, even though both A.OK and IF.Rain are chainers in SR family, their rotations actually don't line up. That is, in ideal case, there will be turns where IF.Rain's dmg output drops a little since he want to case his CD and similarly for A.OK. In those turns, the A.OK and IF.Rain may not be able to chain together and deliver dmg to the enemies as they should have been able to. Furthermore, while IF.Rain have his TC available for the entire rotation, A.OK have only 3 out of 6. This means in some of those turn, A.OK will not be able to fully chain with IF.Rain (IF.Rain will be doing triplecast, but A.OK can only dualcast). All of these will lead to the pair (A.OK and IF.Rain) losing their dmg output potential.
    On the other hand, as you can imagine, none of these issues will occur when chaining with a dupe. Hence, chaining with a dupe is always preferred, especially when the highest possible dmg output is preferred.​
    In some cases, the dmg drop from chaining with a non-dupe may be not much (say, drop by 20%). But, in some case, the drop can be massive.
    For example, Tifa and Godrea are both DR chainer. However, Tifa is dualcast (DC) chainer, but Godrea is quadcast/triplecast (QC/TC) chainer (her rotation actually uses QC in some turns, but TC in the others). Plus, Godrea will want to use her CD to buffer her own abilities from time to time, while Tifa will want to continuously chain with DC every turn, except the turn she want to use the imperil. So, these two, even though they both DR chainer, won't work together at all.​

Chaining different multicast is not always okay either. The problem happens when chain families have hits overlapping between cast. For example, but not limited to, SR and AR. In contrast to family without hits overlapping like, BS and DR (you may notice a small pause between hits from each case in case of DR.) The problem is that, if chaining DC with TC, the hit from the third cast of TC will break the chain. This is quite an issue if the dmg distribution of that chaining move is back load.

Working Around
    In some case, there are ways to work around this rotation mismatch so the pair of non-dupe unit can perform well together somewhat. Do note that, regardless of the details, they will never be performing at the full potential. For example, for the IF.Rain and A.OK pair above, you can choose to delay IF.Rain CD use by one turn to let A.OK to catch up. Obviously, IF.Rain will do less dmg than his full potential.
    Generally speaking, if you need to use the work around like this, the unit with lower dmg output potential should be the one to compromise for the rotation of the one with higher dmg output. Therefore, the work around for IF.Rain and A.OK is not really a good idea since IF.Rain has to drop his dmg, just to chain with A.OK. Although, if this is the only way to make it work (e.g. you are doing Dark Vision or 10-man trials), that may be what to have to work with.
    2.Chaining Family Preferences
    Some units have more than one chain family it belongs to. For example, Awakened Onion Knight have abilities in both SR and AR families. However, the dmg output potential comes from his SR abilities, not AR. Hence, for dmg purpose, you don't want him to use his AR chaining moves.
    Abilities like these exist sometimes as a way to give your team supports. AR and GC chaining abilities have quite high hits, 30 and 20, respectively. They are good at generate Limit Burst Stone for you team. Or sometimes, it serves as a secondary possible rotation, which usually perform less than the main one. For example, Crimson has both DR and AMoE (AT) families. Both of them serves as dmg dealing rotation, but DR will produce more dmg than AT ones.​
    In the case of A.OK, he is usually considered as only SR chainer, not AR.

Do note that some unit's 'real' chaining family is not the one he/she has on normal abilities at all. For example, Aldore King Rain is actually more of an Extreme Nova (EN) chainer, not SR, since his main dmg output comes from chaining his LB.

Working around
    There is really not straightforward working around for this. For some units, like Crimson, they may actually have secondary chain family to use. But, in most cases, they don't. In some cases, you may have to settle with considering one of the chainer in the pair is there as a support chainer, i.e. being there to make the chain going, but deal insignificant dmg.
    3.Element Preferences
    As I mentioned in previous section about gearing units, chaining with mathcing element is strongly recommended. Although, this one is probably the most obvious and most subtle one. In most cases, a unit prefers certain elemental over the others due to innate element of abilites (mostly for mages and hybrid damge dealers), available innate imbue, and innate strong imperil. However, there are also other subtle reasons.
    1. Being stuck with TMR/STMR which is of certain element. This one is quite uncommon these days, but there are units in the past that prefer certain element because of his/her TMR. (e.g. Lila ATK build)
    2. Main CD/LB forces imbue. This happens with some units. For example, Crimson's abilities that give him 200% ATK buff are also imbue him with Fire or Ice element. Therefore, if you have to use Crimson to chain, say, Wind Element. You won't be able to use him to give himself 200% ATK/DEF buff. Certainly, 200% ATK buff is not the end of the world. You can still entirely skip it, or provide him that from someone else.
    Therefore, using these units may require you to adjust their equipment and/or rotation more than expected.

Working around
    There are many work arounds for this actually. The most common way is to use external imbue-er. While support units who can imbue other units are quite uncommon, the option is there. Another, often overlooked, is giving the unit elemental weapon. In some cases, this may imply having to use lower ATK weapon, but it may be a better option than others. Do note that, most TDW/DW will have many options for this. For TDH/DH units, they may not have that many options going for elemental weapon since 2-hand elemental weapons are rare.​

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Peter fenton and Seven like this.
  4. Arkadi

Arkadi Ludicrous Speed! VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Something relevant for current events
    This will likely go over the head of a new player quite a lot, but be reasonable for an intermediary player to understand. Also, why give example units for the cover ability type (5* base only especially) but then not for any other ability type? For a new player you'll probably want to start out with the very basics, i.e. the star system of rarity and effectiveness, then go into team composition and finally list some decent units in each category. 3-4* base to start with, then the better 5* base to expand into.

|Hagun|, Seven and aa25 like this.
  5. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Good points. It kinda slipped out of my mind along the way. I'll add those info in the next update. (I'll wait for other comments first before make an update.)

Seven and Arkadi like this.
  6. Manveru

Manveru "Hall of Fame" Member

It's hard to have a general team composition if you're an intermediate or beginner with limited units and resources. Sometimes you have to completely improvise to secure your kills.

A few examples from my experiences include:
    - enhancing Veritas of the Waters for magical mitigation buff spam, just to be able to survive Odin
    - anything with Sara spamming Retreat Command
    - building a team around Gladio's ST cover
    - using a level 110 LM Fina with Rainbow Whip just to seal Gilga Kai

The only moment when you can somewhat settle on a team comp is when you have strong units and very good gear, at which point all you need to do is swap gear around depending on the trial, and juggle a single spot for magic tank/finisher/whatever's needed.

pandagrrrr and Seven like this.
  7. valar

valar Ascended Member

Leads:
    Esther, Hyoh, Bart, Barbariccia
    I like what you are doing here but I agree with other posters that this will go over the head of a new player. I also wonder if new players really struggle that much and therefore need a guide? Perhaps they do.

Suggestions:
    • Use consistent nomenclature. Don't switch from Support - Debuffer to breaker and back.
    • Define what cover really does.
    • Explain stats if you are going to talk about buffing and breaking them.
    • Give examples of easy to acquire units that fulfill these roles well.

aa25 likes this.
  8. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    None of those are contents are for new/intermediate players to begin with. 3*Odin and Scorn of Gilgamesh are upper-tier bosses.

Double-Glad team is a very specific team that you can pull off only if you have specific units.

Similar to AoE Mirage, which works only on specific bosses. The scope of this write up, as I listed in my OP, is to convey a general concept, not a specific strategy that will work on specific trials.

Nice catch. I thought I have changed them all (Support - Debuffer vs. Breaker). I will check again.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second bullet point. I did mention about what they do in Glossary. May be I should move that to when I explain the team comp ?

I'll add the description about break/buff and examples of unit in the next update.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, about going over the head, I partly hope to use this thread to point to when a new player asks about team composition (instead of me typing about the stuffs over and over).

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  9. ExHaseo

ExHaseo "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    I wish this was around when I started doing trials, lol.

This should be really helpful for players who want to start tackling trials. Some parts will probably be confusing, but that's going to happen no matter what. FFBE is a complicated game. Especially for a mobile game. This will give people context, and things to research until they fully understand how everything works. Which should be very helpful.

aa25 likes this.
  10. valar

valar Ascended Member

Leads:
    Cover: When a tank uses the Cover ability, s/he is able to intercept an enemy's attack and takes the damage instead of the original target(s) of the attack. Furthermore, Cover abilities also have *mitigation*, which reduces the amount of damage inflicted on the tank, and is generally in the 50-70% range. For example, if Wilhelm uses his Cover ability and the enemy does a physical attack against a different unit, Wilhelm will not only intercept that attack, he will also take less damage than that other unit would have taken due to having *mitigation* AND also because he likely has a much higher DEF stat. Thus, tanks are able to protect other units that would otherwise be killed by boss attacks.

aa25 likes this.
  11. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Thanks for write up!. I hope you don't mind that I edited it a little and put it under the section about Cover tank.

@Arkadi @valar Just adding more section about unit example. Thanks for the feedback so far. Please let me know if you have any others.

Arkadi and valar like this.
  12. valar

valar Ascended Member

Leads:
    Happy to help out. I'll add more as I think of it and you can choose what to include.

It may be helpful to have a separate post for each section and then a Table of Content at the top with links.

EDIT: A section on gearing units should be included. After all, gear is extremely important. Also a section on what stats mean (ATK, MAG, DEF, SPR, HP) and which are important to which unit types.

aa25 likes this.
  13. Fabell

Fabell "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elena,Sylvie,Zeno,SS Charlotte,Olberic
    Honestly -- and I really, really mean this.

The meta ALWAYS overlooks new 3-5* units in recent banners. This is unforgivable when it comes to new players. It is a pet peeve and hopefully you can help people understand what I'm saying, @aa25.

New 3-5* units always have higher stats than earlier 3-5* units. Therefore, new players when using banners should be focusing on getting the most out of these units. They are more powerful and more useful than most 3-6*, 4-6*, and 5-7* units. Why?

Because they can be quickly evolved into their max star-state (5*), whereas using a 5-7* unit at the beginning of the game is nigh impossible until you complete a few islands and can actually start purchasing King Mog materials, and most 5-7* units don't get good until level 85-100 (at 6*)... and these days, at least level 110 at 7*. 7* units at level 101 do have some good use if you have enough moogles to grab their TMRs, but without TMRs and without the specific gear you need to take advantage of their builds (especially if they don't have enough mana) they are very hard to use. (But you still need the power to complete the raid at max challenge to earn enough raid coins to summon those yummy cactuars.)

Every new 3-5* unit however has stats that are sometimes even twice as high as old 3-5* units and many of them carry abilities which are super meta for a 5* unit. For example, the new 3-5* unit that everyone is ganging up on (Galas) has a 5-hit earth attack to all enemies for 2.5x his ATK. His LB only costs 17 crystals and does a whopping 17 hits at 8x damage. Furthermore, he can boost his own ATK by 80%, break all enemy DEF by 40%, and he can restore his own HP and MP while doing damage to the enemy.

Compare this to when I was starting out and all I had was Kain, whose only attack were single hit abilities, the highest being a delayed 4.3x attack. Heck, Kain's LB was an 11-hit 3.65x attack. Kain has a measly 20% ATK passive (with a 220% jump passive modifier), while Galas comes with a 50% ATK passive, 30% HP passive (compared to Kain's 10%), and a 25% man-killer passive, plus he can hit every turn with a chain (unlike Kain, whose most powerful attack can never be timed and always hits at the lowest modified stat).

So what I'm saying is that for new players, because they can awaken these 3-5* units much faster than even 6* or 7* units, it is worthwhile to use them until new players have enough materials to properly awaken more rare units. If you can't awaken a 5* unit (infamous example being Cloud), then they are stuck at 5* and often are worse than even units like Galas, who have way more utility and depth to them. Cloud for example, at 5*, only has 30% ATK passive, and his base ATK is only 10 higher than Galas. However, he only has 3 active abilities, all of which are worse than Galas's abilities today. Sephiroth is even worse than Cloud in this regard.

Even looking at the 5-7* units that are being released today, units like Nagi can't even chain at 5*, Zeno can only hit single targets, and all Esther can do is be a tank (her base ATK is only 5 times higher than Galas) or do some single target chains and break.

Skye, aa25 and UnAbleToChain like this.
  14. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    I am thinking about mentioning stuffs about gearing too. The think is, I don't want to make this guide become like a essay more than it already is. One possible option would be using the post I reserved as a Supplementary section. I am thinking about migrating some current stuffs from the main post over there too. I'll think about.

I don't disagree with what you said here. Although, as I stated in the main post, the target audience of this guide is new/intermediate players who start doing trial and/or event bosses. While I don't disagree that units like Galas will be helpful early in clearing Story Mode, I am not sure if they are materials for trials and/or event bosses, especially if you don't have many strong gear to begin with. Set that aside, I wrote the guide to try providing some sort of 'intermediate goal' for player to aim for (I should probably emphasize that a bit more) while building up a team. I don't think units like Galas is a unit for that. He is indeed a decent unit to start of with still (as you may have notice, I omitted a lot of other big names, like limited time units, too).

ExHaseo and Fabell like this.
  15. Fabell

Fabell "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elena,Sylvie,Zeno,SS Charlotte,Olberic
    100% agree. Galas should not be considered for any kind of endgame (100-120+ level content). But recently having started a new account with/for (lol) my very young son, I can say that so many 7* units are just utter rubbish when compared to their max 5* counterparts, who honestly bring a whole lot of fresh strategies to the game and really help with clearing story stages. Which for a fresh player, clearing all the stages up to the current stage is going to take around... (checking...) 9,815 energy to complete -- just the story, not explorations or quests.

So I would argue (not opposing you, mind you - rather in concert with you) that the story portion of the game is more important than trials, in terms of content.

16. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    I secretly want to encourage people to do more trials and event bosses. A big portion of these contents are doable with middle-level team. More often that not, I saw many new players being to fixated to 5* based unit or 7* units and entirely neglect solid units in lower tiers which in turn running poorly built team against these bosses and fail. Hence partly why I wrote this guide.

Fabell likes this.
  17. valar

valar Ascended Member

Leads:
    There's basically 3 levels of difficulty in this game. The Story content is level 1, and is so easy that a guide isn't really even needed. Level 2 would be event content, not counting the 3-boss bonus stage or some of the harder events. Having a proper set up will definitely help here. And level 3 are the trials and the bonus stage, where it is usually imperative that you approach the content with a solid plan and set up. My opinion is that the guide should focus on levels 2 and 3.

aa25 likes this.
  18. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Agree. Although, the line I draw between levels 2 and 3 are quite different from you. I consider Bonus Stage and some middle-level trials (say, Aigaion and below) are part of level 2. I wrote this guide hoping to address (my) level 2 contents.

19. valar

valar Ascended Member

Leads:
    I would say that if you need to look a boss up on the wiki, it's probably level 3. But I was actually debating whether to list 4 levels instead of 3, with the easier trials and bonus content as level 3 and the more recent trials where a 7* is required as level 4.

20. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Version 2.0! Re-organize the main thread a bit and move a few side topic to a new thread and call it Supplementary.