1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

[Guide] Tomb of the Silversmith - Progression Items and Item Crafting for New Players

Discussion in 'Guides' started by aa25, Mar 9, 2018.

1. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/eOlive/Rena
    Well, we get another awesome raid to farm a lot of goodies again.

First of all, copy and paste from my previous post with minor edits.

This guide is written specifically for New Player and all comparisons are made with non-limited and non-TMR items only, i.e. only items from the Main Story or easy permanent trials. Basically, if anyone decides to pick up the game right now, this guide should more or less reflect what he/she can obtain in a near future.

Progression
    • 5* based-Lara Croft - Complete INT difficulty: We probably hear more than enough how not-so-great this free unit Lara is. But I want to point out something that I think has not been mentioned much. The punch line is, this unit is great for new players. Lara offers something that is very unique and very useful especially for new players; increasing rare item drop rate and doubling gil income. These two abilities are very rare. Only a few units have them, and most of them are basically useless, or at most very niche, for any other purposes (Paul and Xon. Chow also has them and is a great unit, but he is limited). For the rare item drop, you will mostly use it for farming ability awakening crystal (in the Chamber of Gem and Vortex Story Event) or unit awakening materials like sacred crystal (from Chamber of Awakening - INT). For the sacred crystal, I would recommend you farm it as you need it, don't spend too much NRG on it. For the gil income, more gil allows you to purchase more items early on and do more expedition without having to rely too much on Gil-snapper cave. She is also a chainer and has innate dual-wield. Sure, her chaining moves are pretty weak for the current meta or when you compare her to the top-tier chainers, but for a new player, she will work just fine. She probably out-damages many 3*-4* based damage dealers easily (she is a 5*-based after all). If you still lack of mainstream damage dealers, it probably won't hurt to give her a try.
    • Bowie Knife: +82 ATK, add Dual-wield ability - 285,000 pts: This is a good weapon to have. It offers a dual-wield ability which is very nice and it is an ability that everyone should try to get first. The knife itself also comes with a respectable ATK. At 82, it is the third strongest knife in the game only 3 ATK behind the highest one. However, if you compare it to other weapon types, 82 ATK is not really that great. It is still usable if knife is the only choice or the prefer choice of your damage dealer. The dual-wield may sound pretty nice, but it is actually not that good in my opinion. And even if you have this knife, you should still try to get Zidane's, Loren's, and Gilgamesh's TMRs and make it your first priority which will tremendously benefit you for a long run.
      • The main problem of Bowie Knife is that it is a knife. A big portion why Zidane's, Loren's, and Gilgamesh's TMRs are so great is that it allows you to use two different types of weapons. For a Dual-wield (DW) build, you gain most of the ATK from adding +X% ATK materia or ability to the unit. The highest +X% materia generally have a condition that you need to equip the unit with a specific type of weapon (Proud Fencer(Greatsword), Katana Mastery(Katana), etc.) And we don't have 'Knife' Mastery materia yet, and the knife itself is not really that strong. Thus, occupying one weapon slot with this Bowie Knife can result in a lower ATK than Zidane's, Loren's, and especially Gilgamesh's TMRs. This also depends on what materia choices you have in your inventory, so I recommend toying with builds and decide which one suits your need the most.
      • Keep in mind also that some units may have innate knife mastery, like Nyx, which gains a big ATK bonus from using a knife, which, in that case, you want to give that unit a knife.
      • There is one niche use that I think I want to mention. If you have Rem and use her as your healer or damage dealer, she will love this knife a lot. She has innate dual-wield knife only passive. A little trick that you can do is to give her this knife on her left hand, which is proc her +50% MAG/SPR passive, then the dual-wield on the knife will let you equip a rod or a staff on the other hand. This will make building her for high MAG/SPR much easier.
    • Glitz Gem - 1,400,000 pts: Required item for crafting Staff of Osiris.
    Crafting
    • Staff of Osiris (Staff): +3 ATK, +68 MAG, +68 SPR, +10% HP, Light element, add light magic damage ability: This is a great staff. At 68 SPR, it is the 3rd highest SPR staff. At 68 MAG, it is not among the highest rod/staff for MAG, but still okay-ish (you can get a 72 MAG rod from one of the trial fairly easily). This staff is quite versatile as most mage/healer/support units can equip both Rod and Staff. You can also give it to your tank to beef up his/her defense against magic attack. (Honestly, once I get it, I'll give it to my WoL.) The +10% HP is very nice bonus for those units who tend to have lower HP then tank or physical damage deal as well. If you have time to reach 1.4M pts to get the required material for it, I strongly recommend you to craft is staff. It is totally worth it.
      • One thing I want to note about, if you decide to give this rod to your mage. Keep in mind that some mage has a passive that add some MAG when equipped with Rod (like William who gets 50% MAG). If that is the case, this staff may not be a better option than lower MAG rod that is available in the game.
    • Icy Death (Gun): +40 ATK, +60 MAG, Ice element: This is a weird weapon, in my opinion. Elemental gun is rare. On top of that, it is a hybrid weapon (give ATK and MAG). In general, elemental weapon is nice, especially for chainers. However, we don't have that many gun-user chainers and those who we have are physical chainers (Lara, Amelia, Prompto, etc) So for them, this is essentially a +40 ATK weapon which is not that good. For a finisher, ice-imperil is fairly rare which makes utilizing this weapon a bit awkward in my opinion. I would say, if you have Amelia or Prompto and want to give them an elemental weapon, this is one possible choice. Otherwise, I would craft may be just one and move on.
      • Although, Trance Terra may like this weapon a bit as she can equip guns and 60 MAG is quite nice for her, until you can get her a better rod.
      • If you have Veritas of light, keep in mind that she prefers light element as she has innate light imperil in her chaining move. Giving this gun to her will make her attacks become dual-element and may reduce her damage output overall instead.
    • Flamethrower (Gun - Two-handed): +60 ATK, +40 MAG, Fire element, 150% average damage variance: This is quite similar to the previous one. Although, this gun is much better than the previous one in my opinion. First of all, it's ATK is higher which is more suitable for physical damage dealer and it comes with a beefy average damage variace of 150%. (Spica is another two-handed gun with the same damage variance, but non-elemental.) This makes it, even if we forget about the +40 MAG, a quite strong non-limited, non-TMR gun. Fire element is also fairly common. You can find fire-imperil much easier than ice which makes your finisher happy. I honestly can't find any units who benefit from the +40 MAG this gun provide, if you can think of one, please let me know. Amelia may not like this gun as much since she is a dual-wield chainer. Prompto, on the other hand, will be happy with this one. I would recommend you to craft 1 or 2 of it, just in case when you need them for a pair of chainer and friend's unit is not an option (like 10-man trials).
    • Toxic Shotgun (Gun - Two-handed): +95 ATK, +10 SPR, Dark element, 150% average damage variance: This is essentially the same the previous one. But this time, it's ATK is freaking good and it comes with a the same average damage variance of 150%. The downside of this gun is that it's a dark element which is the most common element that bosses tend to have resistance against. Dark imperil is also fairly rare. But for general use, I think this weapon will work just fine. I would recommend you to also craft 1 or 2 of it.
    • Onyx Spirit of Ra (Accessory): +15 ATK, +5 SPR, add single-target physical damage ability, add MP recovery ability: A decent accessory. The +15 ATK is quite nice (you can easily craft Hyperwrist which gives 10 ATK or get Ifrit's Claw, which give +30 ATK among other stuffs, from the trial; the trial can be challenging if you don't prepare though.). The +5 SPR is more or less standard for an accessory. The main selling point of the accessory is the MP recovery ability. It costs 8 MP to restore 50 MP to the caster. This will be helpful in a long match, especially in the Vortex Story Event if you don't have a dedicated MP battery (which you should keep an eye out and build one up). I would, again, craft 1 or 2 top, or even skip it if you are already set with your MP battery.
    • Gold Ring of Set (Accessory): +3 DEF, +3 SPR, +10% Fire/Ice/Lightning resistance, +50% protection against poison: This one is quite nice in my opinion. The +10% Fire/Ice/Lightning is good. Sure, it is niche but I would say it is something that better having it around when you need it. A pair of this ring would give you 20% resistance. If you cast Barfira, barblizzara, or barthundara, which gives another 50%, you will end up with 70% resistance against those three elements. (Carbuncle has these three for you at 2*) I know it is niche, but 70% resistance is a lot and can trivialize many bosses for you. Or if you decide to use other units that can cast 70% resistance, that will make this becomes 90% which is even more ridiculous. Even without those abilities, a decent set of equipment also provide a decent amount of resistance that you can stack them up to 50%+ easily. I think this one is pretty much up to you since it is quite niche use. If you don't like niche-use item, you may find it lie uselessly in your inventory most of the time and feel bad about it. But if you decide to craft it, try to get it by pair, so that you can have 20% resistance per unit.
    I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I made any mistakes and any suggestions/comments, especially about the guns, are welcomed.

Edit: Reorganize to make it look less like wall-of-text.
    Edit2: Also layout change to try to make it look nicer and grammars here and there.
    Edit3: Add a note about units with innate knife mastery under Bowie Knife. Add a bit more details on cons of Bowie Knife.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Takumi Kuzuryu, Carnefix and DanM like this.
  2. Jdsmith

Jdsmith Active Member

What's the other tmr moog let for

3. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/eOlive/Rena
    Update with the second half, sorry about earlier guys. A distraction called colleague invaded my office space earlier. LoL.

4. rtt

rtt Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Oops... Just accidentally cleared my inventory thinking Lara Croft materials was ff14 trash... how bad is this.. at least got the staff of Osiris out of the way! Would have loved the elemental guns but was waiting for free expansion tickets before. Guess(hope) there are better alternatives in the future!