1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

[Guide] Valkyrie Profile: Lost City of Dipan - Progression and Crafting Items

Discussion in 'Guides' started by aa25, Oct 26, 2018.

1. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/Ayaka/S.Nichol/Barb/Lilith
    New Raid,new items to craft, and busy weekend up ahead for me... Let's hope my brain is still working fine this late (it is about midnight here when I am typing this).

As usual, I'll only compare items with items that are always available and non-STMR. Items from limited events may be completely skipped. I consider STMRs to be available only to heavy spenders or players who have been playing for a long time, even so their availability is pure luck-based.

Progression:
    • Maximillian: This is Vaan's TMR and a freaking strong Heavy Armor for phy tank (phy AoE cover and provoke). At 62 DEF, this is the 3rd highest DEF Heavy Armor (and of all armor type, in fact) in the game at the time I am writing this. The two superior Heavy Armor's are Knight Delita's and Ozetta's TMR. This armor, however, provides nothing but a pure DEF stat which may or may not be the best option for your tank. For phy tank, there are two common builds; bulky HP/DEF and evasion. Obviously, if you are using or working on the former build, this armor will work very well. But if you are using or working on the latter build, this armor is more or less useless. It may still be useful if you don't need the armor slot for another evade gear since having some DEF will let you take some dmg from attacks that can't be evade a bit (evade tanks tend to be squishy).
      • For bulky build, most phy attacks are non-elemental (normal attack). In most case, you phy tank (phy AoE cover or provoke) may be fine with pure bulky stats.
      • In some case, the best way to gear your phy tank may be gearing for elemental resistance (similar to mag AoE cover tank). If that is the case, using other armors that provide the right elemental resistance will be a better choice.
    Crafting: Crafting items this time are pretty good.
    • Rust-red Circlet (10 DEF, 50% Light resistance, Hats; Limited to 1 copy): This is a pretty good hat. The 50% light resistance is what makes this hat shine. For new players, once you progress further down into the game and start doing contents that really need a mag AoE cover tank, gearing the tank with the right elemental resistance is usually the key to beat the contents. In some case, you will even need to go above 100% to offset imperil from the boss. (Of course, if you are lucky to have 7* tanks, this may not be as important. 70-80% resistance sometimes is enough.)
    • Dragoon Tyrant (84 ATK, Spear): This is an okay weapon. Spear is more of a so-so weapon type. It has only two masteries supporting it. At 84 ATK, it is decent, but you can find weapons with higher ATK and more supporting masteries easily elsewhere, including elemental spears or spears with killer effects of similar ATK. For example, Genji Blade (107 ATK; Katana), Apocalypse (103 ATK; Greatsword), Falcion (80 ATK; Sword), Holy Lance (82 ATK, light element Spear). You can skip this one if you want. I feel like the materials are better used to craft other stuffs.
    • Nibelungen Ring (30% dark resistance, Accessory): Another good accessory. Equipments that give dark resistance are quite rare I won't repeat why elemental resistance is important here again. If you skip the part above and jump to this entry, check the entry about Rust-red Circlet for details. For this one, I recommend you crafting 4-6 copies, upto 10 if you can (so you can give your team member a pair each).
      • Dark resistance buff is also uncommon. For those who have, most of them have only 50%. If you need to provide your team a high dark element resistance, you may need resistance from gear to help with that.
      • (Updated: 10/27/2018) Notable units with 70% dark resistance buff: Minfilia, Chloe, VoD, MS.Nichol, Lilith, 7*Dark Fina, Cerius (need enhancement), 7* Marie, Ukiyo, Yan (LB: 64% at lv25), Drace, Ravus (Please let me know if I missed anyone.)
      • (Added:10/27/2018) Notable gears that provide dark resistance (25% and up)
        • Vishnu Vest (25%; cloth, Edward's TMR)
        • Samurai Priestess Armor (25%; Light Armor, Kaede's TMR)
        • Demon Armor+ (50%; Heavy Armor, 12*-trial reward)
        • Dark Robe (30%; Robe, Victoria's TMR)
        • Demon Shield (50%; Heavy Shield, Main Story: Vault quest)
        • Portal Charm (30%; accessory, Kupipi's TMR)
        • Angel Earrings (50%;accessory, FF9-Freya's TMR)
      • (Added: 10/27 2018) For other element, except Light and Dark, they are available as spell (Bar-something-ra/ga) which also available from esper. For -ra spells which provide 50% resistance, you can craft them easily.
    • Gem of Creation (+10% experiece, Materia): This is another good one to craft. Okay, to talk about this, I have to fast forward a bit. For new players, once you step in to 7* train, you may have to bring the 7* to some certain level for a big jump in his/her performances. For example, some 7*'s work fine at lv110, some gets a big boost at lv120. The amount of exp that you will need is a lot of to max a 7* to lv120 (i.e. about 44.5 million exp or 440-450 King minitaurs, yup no typo there). Then, if you want to spend NRG to farm exp, the most efficient way to farm is solo-ing "Chamber of Experience - ELT" with the 7* loaded with equipments that give bonus exp as many as possible. Thus, this materia will help you fill those slot later on when you get to that point and want to level the 7* up that way.
      • If you are a new player, I won't recommend you start farming this way until you really need it and have enough gear for it. Instead, buying Cactaurs from KM or farm Raid events are better investment. Be patient, and you will be fine.
      • (Add: 10/27/2018) This materia is pretty much a filler for your materia slots. If you really want to farm exp in Chamber of Experirnce, Nine's TMR: Action is a better options.
    • Gem of Vision (Grant an ability-verion of Libra, Materia): Well, I don't know what to say. Well, this one is crappy. If you want to use Libra, you can just craft and equip Libra or use Siren with 'Analyze' node unlocked. Even without those two, there are plenty of units who have Libra/Analyze. I would skip this one.
    Alright, that's it. Please let me know if I missed anything. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed. Kinda sleepy now, good night!

Credit: https://exvius.gamepedia.com for number.
    Edit: (27/10/2018) - Add more options in dark resistance. Additional note under Gem of Creation.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Breno, MikePro, Goddess Nyx and 3 others like this.
  2. Shinobi_SAC

Shinobi_SAC "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    959 392 578
    Leads:
    Acc1: 7 Lucius Acc2: 7 Wilhelm
    159/45
    the best dark res accessory is from a 3* unit - Freya's Angel Earrings [+20%mp, auto-regen & 50% dark resist]

aa25 and MikePro like this.
  3. Enzo

Enzo Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Aileen, Barbariccia, Lunera
    For dark resistance, there's also Monochrome Shield from Marie's 7* (70% light and dark resistance). There's also her cooldown ability.

Aside from Marie, there's also Cerius (once known as mini Marie / Marie Jr.). She gets Heart of Light which also gives 70% dark resistance when enhanced.

Yan might also be worth a mention with her lb (but new players obviously won't have her).

aa25 likes this.
  4. Sefiros

Sefiros Dirge of Cerberus VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    7 star Olive/6 star Hyoh/event unit
    OMG another spear... I have enough Gungnirs!!! BUT I will take a hat tho.. I mean craft it.

5. MikePro

MikePro Spooky Spooky

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Christine Barbie
    Pro
    Thank you very much for all the info,super helpful !!
    I just cant stand another gungnir in there i have like 6 of those already..
    Guess im rdy to fight if goomi keep making those silly moves!
    Gem of creation is very very nice tho ill get 4 of those cause im missing the actions..i know 40% is less than 1 action sadly but better than nothing!

aa25 likes this.
  6. Arkadi

Arkadi "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Something relevant for current events
    Ukiyo - A freebie from the JP unit creation raid had 80% dark and light resist buffs (or 50% for both at the same time).

7. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/Ayaka/S.Nichol/Barb/Lilith
    Thanks! I'll add the info to the OP.

Gem of Creation is nothing more than a filler. I have zero Actions, so a few of these, like what you said, is better than nothing.

MikePro and Arkadi like this.
  8. Enzo

Enzo Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Aileen, Barbariccia, Lunera
    There's also Drace with 70% Dark resistance buff (and an ST stop cure, which I'm surprised she had).

aa25 likes this.