1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

How do you time espers?

Discussion in 'General' started by Varenseith, Jan 12, 2019 at 9:08 PM.

1. Varenseith

Varenseith Member

Global ID:
    Hi forum ::hiya::

So, you know those missions that requires you to finish with espers? Well i'm kinda having problems with that.

Let's say for example i want to finish a mission with bahamut, and to make sure i deal enough damage, i want to chain with 2 units with Divine Ruination.

Upon reaching 10% HP ish, i cast bahamut. The animation plays with bahamut flying up and stuff, ending with it blasting megaflare.

But what do i end up with? It didn't actually cast at all and i ended up finishing with a skill. Oh no :(

So, now i wanna ask. When is the right time to cast espers (example like bahamut or ifrit 3* that takes awhile before actually dealing damage), and what kinda attacks can chain with the espers and make sure it will kill with enough damage?

If you want to know what level i'm trying to clear, it's the LGD level of Gaea's cliff. I keep killing it with either skill or the damage isn't enough to finish. Or maybe the esper is the problem here? Idk.

2. SuRfY

SuRfY CEO of Gumi VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Stats/LB maxed Sephiroth
    You need to see how many hp the boss have and how strong your skill is. If the boss is like 1%, just click the esper first and inmediately the chaining units.

3. Varenseith

Varenseith Member

Global ID:
    Apparently my bahamut only deals around 5% i think, so i need to get it 5% or under. It's kinda hard to do, but i'm still trying.

Does summoners (EVO mag) affect the damage? If so, i'll probably need to swap my damage dealers and get a summoner to use bahamut.

4. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/S.Nichol/Barb/Lilith/Christine
    For mission like that, what you need is letting the hit from the esper be the hit that reduces the boss' HP to 0% or land after the boss' HP has dropped to 0%. The latter is obviously the easier one.

What you have to be careful is the esper attack animation (around when the fireball lands for Bahamut, not the CG part) has to start before the boss' HP drops to 0%, otherwise the esper attack sequence will stop and no hit from esper will land.

Masvroh and Razgriz like this.
  5. Enzo

Enzo "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fryevia, Lilith, Olive
    Bahamut is actually one of the easier ones to time IMO (if you're using it as a finisher anyways)

Use bahamut first, then start your chain right after the CG animation ends (or when you skip it).

The problem when using someone like Hyoh is that the back loading makes it harder time a separate finisher.

Kroah and Masvroh like this.
  6. Masvroh

Masvroh "an elder brother" VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra, A2, Hyoh, Lilith
    It depends on the espers on how to timing it correctly. Bahamut, Diabolos, and Leviathan are easy. You just have to wait the animations end. When it ends, immediately attack with chaining.

If the Esper attack hits after 10 hits of element chain, the damage should be multiplied by 4. So it's 20% of the boss's HP.

Yes, EVO magic does increase esper's damage. Together with the esper's overall stats and the unit's SPR and MAG.

7. Absolem

Absolem "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    737 567 686
    Leads:
    2B mostly, bonus unit otherwise.
    As long as you hit the esper first, you don't have to wait for the animation, just start chaining right away, that will still work. Never missed a 'kill with esper' mission that way.

Masvroh and Clodia like this.
  8. Clodia

Clodia Ultimate Cat Lady VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    737 523 579
    Leads:
    Grim Lord Sakura
    This is very true, but it still depends on the esper though :) Last time I tried DW tornado chains (which is kinda lengthy) with Shiva, and even though tapping on Shiva right before the chain, it didn't count. The chain was too long and Shiva too fast.

It worked everytime with Diabolos, though :) So you really just need to make sure that your next chain will kill the enemy and then use the esper right before you chain, but if you use an esper with a short attack animation, it might still not work. So just use the ones with lengthy ones like others already pointed out :)

Redtide and Absolem like this.
  9. Sefiros

Sefiros Dirge of Cerberus VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    7 star Fry or KM b.unit
    Bahamut is easy to do, but for the mission "kill with esper" you don't need to land a last hit with esper, if the esper hit when boss has already 0% HP it will still count. For Bahamut make sure to start chain when megaflare hits ground (so first summon esper, than start chain when megaflare hits ground), also I recommend a little practise in tower of wind (vortex training doll) its for free.

10. Skye

Skye Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Nyx
    Damage-dealing CG attacks (esper summons and CG limit bursts) check to see if the opponent is still alive just after the animation plays, and are aborted if there are no targets left.

So to finish with these you want to ideally kill the monster between the animation and the damage. If you use an esper like Bahamut or Diabolos you have a few seconds to make this happen, triggering a quick chain just before or after the animation usually works.

11. Clodia

Clodia Ultimate Cat Lady VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    737 523 579
    Leads:
    Grim Lord Sakura
    It should suffice to summon the esper right before the chaining, you don't need special timing this way and it is easier to manage :)

Redtide likes this.
  12. Varenseith

Varenseith Member

Global ID:
    Okay everybody so i finally did it. I switched divine ruination to just OK with his onion slice since it was much faster. Like almost everyone of you said, cast the animation first, then attack. It nearly failed, but i got the lapis at last.

From now on i'll try to practice my timing in the tower of wind with the other espers. I wonder how i'll do with the quick espers.

13. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Just want to make sure you are referring to the same thing, the sequence is 'casting animation' -> CG -> 'attack animation'. The casting animation is the one that you see 4 esper orbs appear around the unit. It is the attack animation that you should keep an eye on. As long as, it has started before the enemy's HP reaches 0%, the hit will land. If the enemy's HP has dropped to 0% while the 'casting animation' is playing, the attack from the esper will terminated.

Puff, VexHaus and Masvroh like this.
  14. Varenseith

Varenseith Member

Global ID:
    Oh yeah, what i mean is attack animation, like you said. Sorry if it confuses you.

15. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    No worries. There is no official term that I know of for any of these, so just want to make sure.

16. SuRfY

SuRfY CEO of Gumi VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Stats/LB maxed Sephiroth
    I killed with Odin...lol...

17. Yunny

Yunny Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh, TT, Fry
    >150
    Personally I usually play the game with all effects turned off. For esper kill missions I usually use Tetra Sylphid or Shiva and try to combine the esper with the last set of chains that will defeat the enemy. Most of the time I just click esper first and then my chainers pretty much right after.

18. Arekusu

Arekusu "Hall of Fame" Member

The last hit needs to be the esper. Just like magic, the last hit needs to be magic. Get them super low, finish with a quick chain, and hit your esper before the chain attack. The chain will kill the enemy, but your summon animation is going off so that’ll hit last after whatever is already defeated.

19. Elrond

Elrond Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh
    What works for me, YMMV:
    The way I look at this is that the esper must do damage in order for it to count. What this means, is you must see numbers associated with the esper damage pop up on the screen. This can sometimes be hard to tell depending on all of the attacks that you have going on, but it is something to keep an eye on. Technically esper damage does not need to be last, but as long as the enemy is dead when you see the damage numbers pop up, it will be a success. If you see the damage, but the enemy is not at 0%, then it means you did the esper too early. My experience is that this is actually easier to do with Hyoh's backloaded chains because it usually means that the enemy won't be killed by the initial weak damage, which means the game will usually continue doing the esper attack instead of canceling it. Of course, it means that you probably need to initiate the Hyoh chains before you previously would have if you had been using Orlandeau.

Probably the biggest tip I can give you is to leave a unit that hasn't acted as a backup in case you screwed up the timing. This way as soon as you feel you messed it up, force close the app, reopen it, and try again.

20. Puff

Puff Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh, Event
    Timing:
    If using DR chainers that are not Hyoh: Click Bahamut first, click chaining as soon as summon-orb animation finishes.
    If using two Hyohs' DR chain: If the boss is expected to die to the second finishing hit, click Hyohs first then imediately Bahamut.
    If using two Hyohs' LB: LBs then immediately Bahamut.

Casts:
    Summoning won't happen if the boss is already dead before the summoner puts down their arm. Try to complete the summon animation before the numbers start spewwing.

Damage:
    I think kill-missions count as long as, after the hit, the boss has 0 HP. So, both the killing hit and all following overkill hits count.

Varenseith likes this.