1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

I finally defeated The new Malboro Trial - No Wilhelm, A.Rain, Basch or Lid (Heavy TMR)

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Veralian, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Veralian

Veralian "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Usually Auto LB Nichol
    Yes you heard that right!! none of those units, Every units was used to its full extent, also I'll mention some tricks you can use to your advantage using this composition. If you got time, read this as it has some nice tidbits on the mechanics of the trial.

Alright here is the team used :
    http://ffbeEquip.com/builder.html?server=GL#aebcfa60-bdb9-11e8-8ecd-571510623095

MYSTEA : High SPR EHP, high resistance to fire and Ice.
    Job : Magic Aoe Cover
    LM Fina : Nothing obligatory, but high SPR is optimal
    Job : Healer (reraise,curaja), Barblizzaga, Manatopia.
    I.Nichol (Amazing unit!!) : High SPR EHP, 8 auto-LB, Cradle of horns recommended but not necessary.
    Job : grant Cover to WoL, LB and breaker.
    Hyoh : as much damage as possible
    Job : Plant killer, can be replaced by any physical damage dealer but the fight will take much longer.
    Warrior of Light : 100% evade with death immunity, high ice resistance.
    Job : Physical cover, provoker.

Now that we got this out of the way let's get to what Malboro does each turn and how to tackle it.
    KING MALBORO > 60%:
    • Odd turns (1,3,5...) : Aoe physical attack once, then ST attacks mixed with one ST ice magic. If hurt with fire then will counter one powerful fire and ice magic attack that will imperil you by 50% fire and ice.

• even Turn (2,4,6...) : AOE magic attack FIRST then AOE physical attack SECOND (the ordering is very important,because if mystea has no cover then she will proc her passive covering WoL leading to team wipe from Barrage),then ST attacks mixed with one ST ice magic. If hurt with fire then will one powerful fire and ice magic attack that will imperil you by 50% fire and ice.
    How to tackle this and what to do before and after threshold:

1 - Rules :
    • NEVER hit the malboro on odd turns with fire attacks.
    • Cross the threshold on even turns, yes, even turns
    2 - first turn :
    • Wol : provoke
    • Mystea : magic cover.
    • Nichol : Physical cover WoL, mirage on mystea
    • Fina : Barfiraga/blizzaga
    • hyoh : way of the void
    Result : WoL takes the physical and st physical and magic attack(immune to it)

3- Even turns :
    • Wol : (if turn 2, break ATK/MAG) otherwise provoke
    • Mystea : defend
    • Nichol : LB aoe Mirage.
    * only one 2nd turn (if LB is not ready which is unlikely, mirage Fina and himself in which, all will evade and fina will raise both Hyoh next turn, neat huh?)
    • Fina : Entrust Nichol
    • hyoh : triple blade.
    Result :
    • Mystea takes the Magic Aoe and survive and then the ST fire ice magic attacks which deal almost no damage ( the trick here is that the imperil lands on WoL and mystea still have very high resistance to that attack)
    • everyone evade the AOE physical, and WoL evade the ST attacks.
    4- crossing threshold: applies to 40% threshold too
    • Mystea : defend
    • Fina : reraise on Mystea
    • Nichol : Esper for achievment otherwise LB for MP
    • Hyoh cross threshold
    • WoL break
    Result :
    Mystea takes both bile and bad breath and gets reraised. team is broken by 100% except her.

5- After threshold: applies to 40% threshold too.
    • Mystea : Magic Cover
    • Fina : Curaja & Dispelga on Team to remove break.
    • Nichol : Very important => Cover WoL and break
    • Hyoh : Way of the void or improve stance
    • WoL : provoke.
    KING MALBORO < 60%:

Basically the same drill as > 60%. but with added annoyances :

• Odd turns (1,3,5...) : Aoe physical attack once, then ST attacks mixed with multiple ST ice magic. If hurt with fire then will counter with SIX powerful fire and ice magic attack that will imperil you by 50% fire and ice. add chance to instant death, Stop(2 turns) and berserk(2 turns)

• even Turn (2,4,6...) : AOE magic attack FIRST then AOE physical attack SECOND (the ordering is very important),then ST attacks mixed with one ST ice magic. If hurt with fire then will one powerful fire and ice magic attack that will imperil you by 50% fire and ice . add chance to instant death, Stop(2 turns) and berserk(2 turns)
    How to tackle this :

Rules :
    • NEVER hit the malboro on odd turns with fire attacks.
    • Cross the threshold on even turns, yes, even turns
    • WoL must provoke every turn now.
    1. The only difference than the >60% Maboro is now that Nichol should Cover WoL and Break boss on odd turns, and then LB on even turns.
    2. on odd turn WoL if not buffed by blizzaga might get hit by many Ice beam if RNG is unkind so be sure to either buff ice resist or give him reraise.
    3. Mystea on even turns will take the aoe magic attacks and the Six ST magic attacks with ease.
    4. Berserk lasts 2 turn so WoL will return conscious by the 3rd turn to provoke again
    5. the only issue here is the St Stop which will kill WoL so be sure to keep reraise on him.
    With a little time you'll reach the final life line of Great Malboro. Make sure fina, Nichol have their LB up and finish him with Hyoh LB.
    [​IMG]

Now Queen MALBORO :

Same mechanics as the Great Malboro. except he does charm now instead of berserk.

1 - Rules :
    • Cross the threshold on odd turns preferably
    • You must kill the queen in 2 to 3 turns ( causing her to only cast bile only thresholds)
    1 - first turn :
    • Wol : provoke
    • Mystea : magic cover
    • Nichol : LB
    • Fina : LB
    • hyoh : way of the void
    Result : WoL provoke the jumps, mystea covers the magic and gets reraised. Everyone evade the barrage this turn and the next one.

2 - Next Turns :

• Wol : break ATK/MAG unless provoke ended
    • Mystea : cover
    • Nichol : Very Important => mirage mystea or LB when available until Queen is dead. Break ATK and Magic on mini ones
    • Fina : Reraise and curaja.
    • hyoh : damage as much as possible.
    Result :
    • Mystea takes the Magic Aoe and gets reraised.
    • everyone evade the AOE physical, and WoL evade the Jumps attacks.
    TIPS:
    - sometimes you get lucky and the mini malboros jump at the same time, take that free turn to cast Mystea LB then Cover the next turn, Fina manatopia then reraise mystea next turn.
    - Try to chain Fina LB with Hyoh LB on the High def malboro( I always get 2 high DEF and one Weak DEF ::rudecat4::)
    -try to kill the queen as fast as possible to avoid the RNG WoL covering Mystea.

When one mini malboro is remaining, you basically won the trial. I took my sweet time to kill the Malboro queen, it was my first time so had to be careful.Took her out on the 11th turn.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Closure:
    I think by far this is the safest you can go with this trial without 7* Wilhelm, Lid break, A.rain or Basch, all the others clears I've seen included at least one of them. Others said my team is too weak and can't clear it without those units, Well now I have proof to prove them wrong lol.
    Thanks to everyone who gave me insights and tips on the mechanics of the trial.
    thanks to @Syuri for the amazing tips in my moment of rage
    And thanks to @Carnefix , @Arkadi , @pdark , @DanM for the help on the megathread.
    Now to do the new event with a happy face and calmed heart.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  2. Tanatos

Tanatos Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    838 612 439
    Leads:
    Hyoh,TT
    Grats Veralian, I will try him this week. Thx for the guide. ::bard::

Veralian likes this.
  3. Tamamo05

Tamamo05 Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    E.Tidus, 2B, CG Sakura, Barb
    too long didn't read. but you did a newer challenge with no *7 tanks. that deserve a praise and congratulations!
    ::blackmage::::blackmage::::blackmage::

god.nomad, Tanatos and Veralian like this.
  4. Veralian

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Usually Auto LB Nichol
    Thank you, good luck on your run ::search::!!
    Thank you ::love::!! This is no break with lid, cover/provoke with Rain or Wilhelm guide. Every unit was used to the it's full extent hence the long write-up.

Tamamo05 likes this.
  5. Eynskaet

Eynskaet Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    lots
    Super gratz to you and props to all that helped you ::up::; I know you were really going through it with this trial. ::exdeath::
    I've tried it three times, with a bunch of the meta units and decided idgaf about it anymore for now. That said, I'll come back and check out your writeup. :)

Veralian likes this.
  6. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    7Hyoh 7TT 7Olive 7DL 7SDF 7Tidus Fry
    Grats @Veralian !!::happy::::happy::

Veralian likes this.
  7. Arnatuile

Arnatuile Wolf of Lapis Street. Proud Evade user. Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Great job! Except you are a cheesy cheater because you used 100% evade! :D Don't you see, 100% evade is dead! ::ink::::ink::

Joking, of course, that was a great strategy and shows us how broken AoE mirage is. We need to start a petition to bring Thief back ::rudecat4::

Veralian and Xander like this.
  8. Rynal

Rynal CG Charlotte plzzz VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Awakened Rain
    I was reluctant not using a mag dps on first part as it may take long but I guess it's not much.. Not sure how long it would take not using Hyoh as DPS however

Veralian likes this.
  9. Chrizz

Chrizz Ascended Member

Global ID:
    154 176 245
    Leads:
    Adam Jensen
    Freaking awesome! Now I just need a Hyoh....

Veralian likes this.
  10. Cryzen

Cryzen Active Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    DragonLord, Ex Aileen, Seph
    Thank you for the Guide, Nice Setup of units and tactics.

Veralian likes this.
  11. Veralian

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Usually Auto LB Nichol
    It took me 51 turns to kill the great malboro with Hyoh + Raegen but the tactic was different since I was able to damage the malboro on even turns since Basch has no passive cover.
    I think the issue is if it's possible to cross a threshold on queen malboro every turn till she's dead.
    Also thank you for setting me up with that specific Basch, he did great in my previous attempts.[​IMG]

12. Veralian

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Usually Auto LB Nichol
    well I'm not the one casting AOE Physical and AOE magical along with lots of ST physical and magical attacks along with a plethora of status ailments and effects at the same freakin' turn and then they gang up on me along with 3 of its kids.
    Gotta beat the cheat at its own game ::exdeath::
    Also a petition to bring back thief? 10 LB for aoe 3 attack mirage?! I'm up for it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Donpru and Arnatuile like this.
  13. Carnefix

Carnefix Newsl0rd Staff Member Moderator Arena Runner Up S2 VIP Supporter German Moderator Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    416 022 660
    Leads:
    TDH Hyoh, Nyx, Tidus
    Congrats!

I moved the thread to guides since you explained it very well. ::up::

Veralian likes this.
  14. Zilch

Zilch Wolf of the Walltext xD Chocobro VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Whatever is needed
    Congrats :) currently I didn't try it furthermore.
    My a. Rain 6* with 900 spr and 12k hp can't survive the bad breathe attacks from mini Malboro. He dies twice. How did you got that covered? As soon as one of my tanks needed to be raised and they don't have cover up it's basically game over.

Veralian likes this.
  15. Veralian

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Usually Auto LB Nichol
    On second wave, the queen malboro will cast barrage FIRST then mini malboro will cast bad breath.
    So A.Rain needs to evade the barrage hit and survive => get hit by bad breath, gets killed and then reraised.
    Rico wingsuit casts mirage on first turn which lets A.rain evade the physical Aoe. With this strategy fina LB reraise is absolutely needed everyturn until queen is dead because your whole team will get killed by barrage except Rain(reraise) and WoL evade.
    The other solution is to cross malboro queen threshold every turn till she's dead, that way she will only cast bile( in which rain will take it along with bad breath from mini malboro) without barrage.

Zilch likes this.
  16. Ardhes

Ardhes Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Khorne
    Congratz on the kill, should be interesting to see how I will kill this one without Hyoh or TT, Willy and evade tank. Still farming gear atm.

17. Zilch

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Whatever is needed
    Sounds like that kills me. Well, I just need to come that far again. Currently it's like after 30 turns everything goes down. Can't keep up with break, stop resistance, provoke, covering stuff, etc. Most RNG reliant part is if one of the tanks proc their cover without you wanting it. I think I need Fina LB every second turn xD

Oh and I need my iNichol being back from expedition but can't get my WoL that high on ice resist because I don't have 4x 10% evade materia, so if I want genji shield on him I can't get more ice resistance gear :( but I'll try it anyways with your strategy :)

18. Carnefix

Carnefix Newsl0rd Staff Member Moderator Arena Runner Up S2 VIP Supporter German Moderator Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    416 022 660
    Leads:
    TDH Hyoh, Nyx, Tidus
    Looks like I was just lucky with my WoL that he never covered once during the 3 fights (first 2 were fails) that took around 1 hour each.

The biggest weakness in my team was Basch during the first 2 fights. I replaced him with 6* A.Rain and was able to clear it without many problems as long as I did not make any mistakes.
    They never covered on their own at all.

Zilch likes this.
  19. Zilch

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Whatever is needed
    Lucky you. I did like... 30 tries so far lol. My team was a. Rain, WoL, Fina, Hyoh, ms Nichol. I came to second fight twice because early on it's not that hard to recover from such things. Later on as soon as they die it's luck if you can recover. Taking care of everything is hard. Like WoL dies he needs to cover again, rain dies he needs to provoke again, stop resistance up again because stop can lead to team death etc. Yeah, this trial is a bitch, but I like it to try around.

What was your team and strategy?

Edit: I don't even get it. I'm like 30 to 40 turns in, he's at like 20%, and his damage gets insanely up even though I keep my rotation the same.

20. Balthier

Balthier Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    eTranceTerra/dwTidus
    Is there a way to do this with aRain, CG Lid, mRamza, Hyoh and another unit (who is not Nichol/Fina/Ayaka), with a friend Hyoh?
    Or maybe use a single damage dealer, like Dragonlord...