1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

In Memoriam: September 11th, 2001

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Frosty Toast, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Frosty Toast

Frosty Toast Chopin Enthusiast VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    511 684 224
    Leads:
    Event, 2B, Raegen
    DISCLAIMER:
    This tribute is mainly intended for residents of the United States of America, though many other countries have been affected by this. Your support is greatly appreciated, as it is quite a somber day for America and the victim's families.

Hello, my forum friends.
    Many of you, in fact MOST of you, are not American natives.
    Yet, a large portion of you are, and you are my main audience that I desire here. (non-Americans, feel free to listen too.)

September 11th, 2001.
    A day that has burned into our hearts the terrifying reality of terrorism.
    One that we can never forget.
    One that we should never forget.
    One that, as long as time trudges along, will be forever remembered.

On the morning of Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2001, New York City was shaping up to have a peaceful day, every one going to work.
    Many of you remember where you were on that day, be it on duty, at school, at the grocery store.
    But then,
    at 8:46 am,
    a metal beast descended from the sky, angry in its break-neck pace.
    Like an iron falcon, eager for prey,
    it crashed headlong into Tower 1 of the World Trade Center,
    sending a catastrophic wave of sound echoing through the streets of New York City.
    The mayor was quickly notified, and rescue forces began to mobilize.
    17 minutes later, at 9:03 am, when people were recording on their phones and conversing in hushed whispers,
    a second plane, looking for its metal brother,
    tumbled and shot itself into the second tower.
    At this point everyone knew
    that it was what they most feared.

A terrorist attack.

While the police and firefighters, aided by the NYPD Aerial Force (Helicopters) continued to mobilize, people scrambled in the streets in a frenzy,
    trying to run
    trying to get out
    trying to escape the destruction.

People fell from the buildings.
    Death.
    Dying.
    Crying.

This, this, surely,
    must be the hell of which Dante spoke

Then, at 9:59 am
    the first tower
    fell, crumbled to its knees
    unable to take anymore,
    its final words a curse to those that wronged it,
    they that sent the metal eagle,
    they that attempted the very emblem with which
    the proud USA stands..
    freedom.
    And with that, the tower breathed its final breath,
    and returned to Mother Gaia.
    Sheets of dust blanketed the once-proud metropolis

people now realized just how real the threat was

and ran, desperate, for their lives.
    A mere 29 minutes later,
    the second tower, mourning its missing brother,
    doubled over and sank on its side,
    further covering the city in dust,
    a sandy soup that prevented any in its path
    from having breath
    the fresh air that Father Ouranos
    had once provided for us.

City officials did all in their power to rescue the innocents who were destroyed by this incident.
    They helplessly trudged trough the dust.
    The brave men who gave their lives so that others might live.
    The generous souls, on those towers, who willingly sacrificed their own lives so that others might be able to descend the elevator.
    The many who prayed, prayed to Almighty God in the streets,
    begging for redemption.
    That was 9/11.
    That hell was 9/11.

My own naivety was my flaw in regards to deciphering this day.
    I thought that because I wasn't alive, that day couldn't affect me at all, that it was just another page in the history books.
    But that was stupid.
    It was foolish of me to take the happenings on this fated day lightly.

And this is exactly why....

We must never forget the ravenous, armored birds of prey that snatched so many lives in the blink of an eye.
    We must never forget those people who gave their lives so others could live.
    We must never forget the tearful goodbyes of those doomed souls, who became effigies, to their families on the ground from their own, personal, flaming Tower of Babel as they reached their fingers and brushed the lid of Heaven.
    We must never forget the patriotism, the mourning, the ultimate acts of empathy and sympathy that were shared by those in the streets, as they banded together in sorrow.
    We must never forget the very values upon which our very own country was founded.
    We must never forget that there is always hope.
    We must never forget that there is always someone.
    We must never forget that love still exists, and can still exist.

We must never forget.

We must never forget.

In Memoriam
    September 11th, 2001.
    Never forget.

Thank you, everyone.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Xacques, Tamamo05, Terra and 17 others like this.
  2. keoten

keoten Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    GLS, event , Rivera, evade D.Rain, Dog
    I visited the 9/11 Memorial and museum this past July, when I visited NY to sing in Carnegie. The museum was a somber, sobering experience. I remember that day vividly - we did absolutely nothing but watch the news all day at home, then at school, then at home again.

@Frosty Toast you weren't even born yet when this happened, huh? Beautiful tribute, though ::up::

Tamamo05, Seven and Frosty Toast like this.
  3. PrezObama

PrezObama "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Prez
    I was in college in NJ and my wife (then girlfriend) was at NYU when it happened, it was truly a crazy day for me, thanks for posting this.

Tamamo05, Seven and Frosty Toast like this.
  4. Demo

Demo Light Weight, BAABBBYYYY!!!!! VIP

Leads:
    Elly
    ::rudecat7:: I am from NYU too

Seven and Frosty Toast like this.
  5. Demo

Demo Light Weight, BAABBBYYYY!!!!! VIP

Leads:
    Elly
    9/11 was a tragic incident, but we retaliated and moved on.

What matters is not delving in the past, but pushing on with the lessons from failures.

6. Mcleod

Mcleod Der Langrisserlord - Retired VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TDW Chuck Norris
    September 11 1973 United States instigate the cup of de'etat of the Chilean republic, more than 300k death and more than 400k injured and 3k missing people. Took them more than 14 years to go back to democracy and left the country eternally separated between those who support the cup and those who do not. I could care less of what US decisions brought to themselves, it's always sad to lose a soul, but i will not commemorate a day just because something happened on the US.

Skye likes this.
  7. Frosty Toast

Global ID:
    511 684 224
    Leads:
    Event, 2B, Raegen
    Then please, don't feel burdened to commemorate it.
    I do agree with you in that the Chilean coup d'ètat was an awful event that should never have happened, either.
    But this is like saying that commemorating something like Pearl Harbor is inconsequential because something like the Holocaust happened.
    On 9/11, lives were lost. Families destroyed. Those are losses, no doubt. I merely wish to commemorate the terrible thing that happened in my own country, and you should by no means feel pressured to do the same. Today was a very emotional day because of the 18th anniversary of 9/11 for me, so I shared this.

Seven and Mcleod like this.
  8. Mcleod

Mcleod Der Langrisserlord - Retired VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TDW Chuck Norris
    Even to this day Japan has a day (lantern festival) where they pay respect for all the lives lost on Pearl harbor, during my years living on the US I've never seen once an American saddened by the Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I wonder if there is an actual cultural act within Pearl harbor that pays respect to the lives of those.

Does that deny the fact that happen? No, but posting on a forum with multiculturalism in mind it's not respectful to other countries that have suffer the consequences of US acts.

Let's be civil here and mourn, yes, but do not put "never forget" because that's exactly what you have to do otherwise you'll have far too much grudge on your plate.

But yes, mourn and learn, vote smart even if your candidates are not.

Peace out.

9. Absolem

Absolem "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    737 567 686
    Leads:
    Zeno, KM, Rerun, Circe, Gladio
    I'll leave that here.

Lyrics (in French) are in the comments.

10. Vatenkeist

Vatenkeist c[_] VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Mugs to the chair.
    lets ask how the US feels about August 6 and 9 th. unpopular opinion, but it hurts the ego when for the first time your homeland buildings fall, tho, after having leveled entire cities in air raids or more "iconic" ones no less. Most of the victims form any date, be it 6th or the 9th august OR 11 Sept. There is some twisted irony there but .... Some "people" made a decision and others payed for it , dearly. Justice is for the winners. There are no Good guy or Bad Guy justification anywhere but we like to justify stuff. Sucks for everyone caught in the middle of any "political disagreement". And i do feel sorry for them, on any side, neither of them was bad. evil. degenerate. or whatever else. Just victims.

edit: i see someone else already took these examples, while i was writing this at work.

Mcleod likes this.
  11. Kaladin

Kaladin "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Sophia or event
    Please, can we stop with the bashing. That was not the intent of the OP.

TheKillingJoke and Frosty Toast like this.
  12. keoten

keoten Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    GLS, event , Rivera, evade D.Rain, Dog
    I'm from Hawaii (Maui), and we grew up with heavy, heavy multiculturalism. In fact, my ancestry is Native Hawaiian, Japanese, Chinese, and Filipino. We acknowledge the past - in your example, WWII. We acknowledge that Japan ravaged many of the islands of the Pacific in addition to Hawaii - Guam, the Federated States of Micronesia, and so forth. Germany and Italy committed their own offenses among countries around the world, too. We also realize the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki led to the end of Japan's participation in the war.

Despite that chapter of our histories, I hope for a brighter future. US and Japan relations seem overall positive, currently.

I do not have an omnipotent view of Earth, so I say that I hope the US has gone into most situations with generally positive intentions for the country they are working with. I know this backfires sometimes, like in the Middle East. I also know there may be underpinnings of financial or political gain in other cases. Like I said, I'm not part of the back story there. And sometimes you just have bad apples running your country who makes horrible decisions *coughNixoncough*. But every country is prone to bad apples, or even neutral/decent apples that are a bit dumb. I hear Venezuela isn't in the best shape right now. North Korea had a missile fetish recently, too.

Speaking about the US, in particular, we've an impact on multiple countries in both positive and negative ways. All countries have morally good and morally bad. But I believe peace and harmony comes if we aim to focus on the aid that is rendered to other countries from all countries. Oftentimes that aid comes in the form of bottled water and blankets. Unfortunately, other times it comes in force, like it boiled down to in WWII.

I believe there are no ultimate winners in a war. "We must never forget" in an effort to prevent history repeating itself. Whether that be with the Middle East (9/11) or Axis powers (WWII) or Chile (coup d'état). If we can smooth things out before atrocities happen...that's when everyone wins.

PS. I think Japan is overall just a more respect-teaching country. US citizens in general respect not very many outside of their own personal circles. One of my personal dislikes about the US and one of my admirations for JP. So a Lantern Day there is not too extraordinary considering they are taught to pay their respects to like...everything...there.

TL;DR - Each country has their history of good and of bad, but I look forward towards a positive future. Everyone wins when conflict is diffused. And JP has awesome respect values.

TheKillingJoke and Frosty Toast like this.
  13. Skye

Skye Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Regina, Kryla, Nyx
    If only people would stop going into other people's countries with the intention to kill people, no matter how noble their cause may seem.

Person, Kaladin, keoten and 2 others like this.
  14. Jatabo

Jatabo Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther, Mediena, Zargabaath
    I was 9 years old when it happened. I remember I was walking down a street with my mother when all of a sudden, a shop´s owner pops out of the blue, and visibly startled invites us inside while asking: "Have you seen this? You think it´s a fake?", and pointing at a TV he had. We focused our gaze on the screen, and we witnessed the footage of a couple of planes turning two giant towers into rubble. I´m from Spain, and at the time I barely knew anything about the US. Pretty sure I didn´t even know what or where "New York" exactly was. Then, the following days, the news did nothing but chronicle the despair, and the desperate race against time the rescue services were doing to minimize the casualties as much as possible.

Fuck, it even had repercussions in Spain. After Bush declared war on the Middle East and insisted that Iraq was hiding weapons of mass destruction, our president at the time, Aznar, agreed with him and sent some troops of our own as backup. Needless to say, the radicals over there didn´t take it too kindly and retaliated against us, and in March 11th of 2004 (yeah, apparently terrorists had a thing for the number 11 back then), bombs went off in the metro of Madrid, our capital, and killed 193 people while injuring thousands. Easily, one of the worst tragedies laid upon my country regarding terrorism. Because of that, a shit ton of people regretted our president´s decision, and claimed that if we hadn´t mingled in the affairs of the US, the event wouldn´t have happened to begin with. A subtle disdain for America grew that day, since associating ourselves with them indirectly reaped many lives, and instilled a deep fear of riding on metros in our hearts for years to come.

Look, I get it. Many non-North America residents won´t care about the incident, and many will agree that somehow is hypocritical of the US to mourn the tragedy all the time, and keep it present that much even after all these years, considering all of the atrocities the country has committed/instigated to others, and that 9/11 was merely the deserved reckoning they had been building up so far, but it´s still not right. The target wasn´t the Pentagon, or any other military/gubernatorial enclave. It was buildings occupied by innocent people whose only mistake that day was getting up and going to their jobs.

The first example that always comes to discredit the whole memorial is indeed "What about the atomic bombs in Japan?", but during WWII , Japan wasn´t precisely innocent either. They committed atrocities as well. Ever heard of the Nanjing Massacre? Even the Nazis found that repulsive. The. Freaking. Nazis.
    I agree with @keoten. Many countries do or did acts of ultimate evilness towards others or even against themselves (Spanish Civil War, anyone?), but the one pulling the trigger isn´t an average citizen just trying to earn a honest living, yet for some reason they end up being the target. In a war, even when a side wins, everyone loses.

Let the US grieve. It´s their right to do so. It´s the right of every country or population who has ever been pummeled in one way or another. The people working in the WTC weren´t the ones who incinerated Vietnam with napalm or manipulated the governments of South America or the Middle East. They just wanted to live their lives, without wanting to wish harm upon anyone. And that applies to citizens everywhere, regardless of if it is Japan, Chile, Spain or wherever.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    keoten and TheKillingJoke like this.
  15. Frosty Toast

Global ID:
    511 684 224
    Leads:
    Event, 2B, Raegen
    And this very thing is what I hate most about terrorism.
    Innocents did nothing wrong, yet they still died.
    In Chile.
    In Spain.
    In America.
    In Japan.
    In China.
    Everywhere.
    It's disgusting to think that to carry out their own means, or send a mere message to a country, the solution is always bombs. Death. Crying.
    Idiots like these are drags and chains upon world society, no matter what their justification, no matter what their past. Because at the core of this is killing people who, as you said, only wanted to get up, head to work, and make an honest living in a world free of bloodshed.
    This is why, every year, 9/11 crumbles my own personal foundations.
    Because of the hate, the death, the explosions, and the excruciating pain that everyone who has ever gone through something like this has no choice but to endure because some extremists want to leave their mark on the world.
    My somber attitude on 9/11 isn't for America, or Spain, or even China.
    It's for the people who carry out routine exterminations like this. I hate it.
    If any of you could have seen me in real life at all throughout the course of this day, you would see it in me. I am visibly shaken, and not myself at all. This day hurts me. It hurts me so unbelievably much that the very same humans around the world, who plowed the earth together, raised families together, built kingdoms and countries together, erected governments together, and clinked their glasses together would resort to hating each other, mocking each other, killing each other.
    I mourn for everyone who has ever been affected by something like this. That's just how it is, and always will be, because the scars that 9/11 left in my heart, even if I wasn't alive, will never fade away.

Tamamo05 likes this.
  16. Niakohr

Niakohr Ascended Member

Global ID:
    I remember when I was fairly young and, through the magic of computers, beginning to interact with people outside the US. It was amazing to me to see how the outside perspective of Americans differed from how we saw ourselves from within. I remember telling somebody that Americans just want peace. It really shook me when I heard the response, "Americans love war! Why else would they be in so many of them?" I thought the idea ludicrous since I don't know a single American who wants to be at war. I went back and looked at our history and it was pretty cringe-worthy.

I'm not going to apologize for the wars of our government. The American people didn't want them (and nobody I have voted for has started a war). I can only say that I understand and sympathize with those who feel like pawns in a game being played by powerful old men.

Skye likes this.
  17. Fabell

Fabell "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elena,Sylvie,Zeno,SS Charlotte,Olberic
    During the bombings, I was in college, and I remember waking up that morning to the radio (which was my alarm) and instead of the classical music station it was supposed to be, it was a newscast about the first plane. That entire day was a bit numbing, and by the end of the day I think everyone was just exhausted. The next morning I wrote this poem:

Yesterday, the World Trade Center collapsed. Two jetliners
    cut the skyscrapers in half. The twin towers bloomed like
    two dust flowers and sank in defeat, trapping thousands of
    innocent souls beneath their wretched thorns. New York,
    the next minute, was a sea of rubble and ash as the two
    towers foamed the streets with shattered glass and
    disintegrated stone. In droves, people screamed through the
    streets, flocking like wheat in a tornado. The boiling gray
    fumed through the streets, alive with terror and mystery.
    People tripped beneath this strange creature, and stood, only
    to find themselves in a different world. The earth was caked
    in shadow. Buildings loomed like unseen eyes. A strange
    magic floated through the air, meaningless and clustered.
    The sun disappeared. Only the flame gave light.

Speaking as someone who was very affected by the attack (I was working in Washington D.C. at the time), I can say that it was a life-pivoting moment. After the attack, my cousin enlisted in the army, my brother enlisted in the air force, and I changed my major in college from political science to religion. I don't know a single person who wasn't affected at the time by that moment. Thanks @Frosty Toast, for posting your poem.

Frosty Toast likes this.
  18. Frosty Toast

Global ID:
    511 684 224
    Leads:
    Event, 2B, Raegen
    That is beautiful.
    I mean...the event itself wasn't beautiful, but the way in which you wove your words was amazing. I thank you for sharing that, and you're welcome for sharing mine! :D

Fabell likes this.