1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

LB damage boost vs killers

Discussion in 'General' started by mcnoople, Dec 2, 2019.

1. mcnoople

mcnoople VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Is a 50% killer and a 50% boost to lb damage equal in terms of damage output. This assumes single enemy type that the killer do apply to.

I am thinking that type specific killers are less generically effectively, but are a better choice when customized to individual content. Am I correct about this. If you can match the killer to the content it is a better choice than LB boosting gear?

2. Arkadi

Arkadi Ludicrous Speed! VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Something relevant for current events
    Unless you use the LB every turn the killer will be better, assuming both boost by 50% (i.e. Heart Overcoming Hatred). This is because the killer works on all damage of its type and the LB damage only works on the LB.

3. wardaddy

wardaddy Ascended Member Supporter

At some point the lb boost damage percentages only do so much. So lets say my AKRain is at 175% lb damage which I think he is normally, if I add in a killer for respective trial without removing my LB boost gear, I will do more damage. If I add more LB boost gear, I will still do more damage but it won’t be as high as percentage as you expect. When you start getting higher than 150% lb damage the percentages don’t stack the same way I just can’t remember how exactly. Howllz got a good video explaining it

4. Matri

Matri "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    477 960 603
    I think it depends on buffs too.

I ran the builder with the 50% LB materia after KRains LB buff, and the damage was almost the same if I swapped the LB materia for Dark Knights Knowledge.

Guessing it's the same for killers. Killer >>> LB especially after KRains buffs. Assuming youre talking KRain.

5. Isaac

Isaac "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    702 220 272
    Leads:
    7 Esther, Ely, Cid, Kurasame, Hyou
    180s
    first, you need to consider how
    Much damage is coming from the lb. with aldore king rain, it’s about 95%ish., so it’s a one to one comparison. Of course killers are specific to the race, but any half way serious player is going to get all the killers because they are free for the most part. So your question about general v specific isnt useful, just get all the killers. Then, the thing you need to know is that balance Of lb damage, killers, and attack is key. For aldore rain, the killer is going to be better because he will be geared and have passives that gets him lb damage to an extra 180% every turn and every other lb he can use a buff that gives him another 200%. So half of his lb turns will have 200% extra lb damage and half will have about 400%. Let’s average that at 300%. That means you would always want 300% Killers before adding more lb damage to achieve balance. And 300% is the limit for killers. So for aldore rain, I would max out the killers every time over lb. but you also have to think about attack v killers - once you have 200% killers, a good attack materia might be better. It’s very hard to figure out on paper or make a hard and fast rule, which is why I use the builder every time.

6. Regalia

Regalia Professional Cat VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    709 451 243
    Leads:
    Riku, Elena, KRain, MW Terra
    0xA5
    It also depends on what innate boosts a unit already has. If a unit like Krain already has a 50% LB damage boost, then an additional 50% materia would only boost his damage by 1/3. If the 50% killer materia is the FIRST 50% of that killer, then it will increase damage by 1/2.

The same is true the other way around, too.

Basically, since all the variables are multiplied together, you want to keep them as even as you can in order to maximize the product. After all, which is larger?

9 x 1 = 9
    or
    5 x 5 = 25?

Same principle is at work here.

rtt likes this.
  7. mcnoople

mcnoople VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Ok, so killers are superior in many cases. I was thinking about AK rain when I posted it, but it also applies to my esther or R lightning. Honestly I am absolutely drowning in burst pots, I have no idea what to do with them anymore. No unit to spend them on and when I do I still have piles left over. I likely have around 300k worth of burst pots right now with another 100k in my mailbox.

8. Regalia

Regalia Professional Cat VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    709 451 243
    Leads:
    Riku, Elena, KRain, MW Terra
    0xA5
    Yeah, Krain is overflowing with LB damage buffs, so the killers are probably a better bet. He's got 50, then another 30 on the TMR.

9. Sorwen

Sorwen VIP VIP

Save them for future units. Turn 1 LB's are slowly becoming more of a thing as well as how easy it is to fill LB on some units. There are more reasons to use the pots.

I use the LB a lot on CG Cecil. Both good damage and 50% mitigation(though at 7* the first is a slow scale and the latter doesn't scale at all). CG Cloud is great too, but his LB is single target and doesn't see quite as much use from me save vs some bosses. Then there is Ifrit Rain and and and. :)

10. Shadowschild

Shadowschild Ascended Member

Jeez just get to the point! Killers are better slot wise then lb dmg but it depends where!

Helm, armor and accessories i think there are less killers options. So use 1 killer+ materia paired with an equal esper. Also kangaroo, popcorn and sea salt to confuse