1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Leviathan 3* Information

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Sinzar, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Sinzar

Sinzar Member

Figured I'd give some tips on this weeks new esper upgrade battle. To start, here's the wiki page with detailed fight information and skills and AI: https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Ruins_of_the_Water_God/New_Trial_of_the_Water_God

* Leviathan is Aquatic race
    * Vulnerable to all breaks
    * -100% thunder resist, absorbs water
    * Neutral to other elements
    * 120,000,000 HP
    * His exact stats are unknown until it's live on GL, but from my testing on JP, I've determined that he has "approximately" 250 DEF and 250 SPR, but that's an estimate.

Every round, Leviathan will give himself a 99% mitigation buff, but this can be dispelled before attacking, allowing your team to deal full damage. Keep in mind, dispelling his shield will also dispel the breaks you've applied, so choosing to dispel his shield means you have to re-apply breaks every round.

Another option is to shatter his shield permanently. To do this, once he puts up his shield, hit him with Ice damage on three separate rounds (round one doesn't count, his shield isn't up yet). When he's hit with ice for the third time, Leviathan will do an AoE water attack that ignores cover/evade, and he will permanently eject one unit from the fight (can be provoked). From that point on, his shield is gone permanently, saving yourself the headache of having to dispel it every turn. There's also no longer any special reaction to ice attacks.

Leviathan has two thresholds. One at 80% and another at 40% health. For each, he will use an AoE water magic attack, AoE -30% water imperil, and he will imbue your team with water for 3 rounds (causing physical attacks to heal him), then he will end his turn.

On non-threshold turns, Leviathan will use:

* AoE physical
    * ST physical with stat breaks
    * AoE water magic
    * AoE ice magic
    * ST petrify
    * Below 80%: AoE stop every turn
    * Below 60%: ST non-elemental magic w/ stat breaks

There's a few strategies you can use to deal with the fight. First of all, you need to decide if you're going to dispel his shield every turn (and reapply breaks), or are you going to shatter his shield and lose a unit to the eject.

If you have enough burst, you can go full throttle and push him to a threshold every round, effectively locking Leviathan into doing nothing except his threshold attacks. If you can deal about ~35% damage per turn, it's a safe and simple way to do the fight, but it would be hard to fit in all missions this way. A magical cover tank with water resist will handle the threshold nuke. Don't forget to remove the imbue if using physical units.

If you want to take it slower and do all missions, you're going to need to decide if you want a magic or physical cover tank.

With a magic cover tank that has 130% water and 100% ice resist, you can gear the rest of your units however you want, but you will be taking the AoE melee from Leviathan each turn, which can be painful, even with decent ATK breaks. With this method you only need special equipment on your magic tank.

The other method is to use a physical cover tank, and then gear every member on the team in 100% ice and water resist, either from gear, or from gear + in-battle buffs. With this method, it's very safe because no one takes any damage except your tank (and if you gear them in evasion, they don't take damage either). The only thing that will hurt is the one single target non-elem magic attack per turn starting under 60%. The tradeoff is that it's gear intensive, and unless your friend unit is geared specifically for Leviathan, you won't be able to use a friend because no one wears 100% resistance gear normally.

Alternative method: Solo it with Beryl
    (mostly a joke, this would be extremely slow, though technically works)

Update: Here's two videos of me clearing the trial, one with a budget team and the other with a more expensive team:

Budget--

Not budget --

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    pchuan11, Toxic, IvaNL and 27 others like this.
  2. Hollis

Hollis Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reberta
    yep nice detailed info, Sinzar!!

3. Barroth

Barroth Excessivlipoor VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Take your pick
    Are we gonna see kuja in the budget clear? ::rudecat1::

4. Sinzar

Sinzar Member

Planning to grab a friend Emperor for the budget clear to speed it up :)

CG Sakura would be a good (or better) option too.... but Emperor is too epic to not use.

5. Hollis

Hollis Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reberta
    guess you'll practice in jp first?

6. Barroth

Barroth Excessivlipoor VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Take your pick
    ::sorry:: fair enough. I'm planning on trying Barbie out as a finisher as I need an excuse to dw serpent mace. Unfortunately my sakura isn't maxed (she can equip maces too)

7. YHEsys

YHEsys Active Member

Leads:
    Malphasie, Loren, Kurasame, Rinoa
    160s
    How about using evo damage?

8. Sinzar

Sinzar Member

Evocation based skills or espers should bypass the mitigation shield, allowing you to still hurt Leviathan without losing a member or having to dispel. Not sure if that's better or not, but it's an option!

9. Hollis

Hollis Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reberta
    wait, does that mean it should be a good option to deploy kid rydia, yuna, or citra for this fight?

10. Manveru

Manveru Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Wow a boss without Ice Resistance. Gonna Fry him so hard.

How's the Esper itself, btw? I'm guessing his stat spread is for hybrid units? Is he better than Fenrir for them?

11. Hollis

Hollis Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reberta
    if I remember correctly, leviathan is the esper with bigger damage than bahamut... so if you wanna kill something with esper, make sure to imperil water and let he rage

12. leemanho

leemanho Religiously F2P VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    950 921 563
    Since the mitigation can be dispelled, I wonder whether Xon will be able to steal it. JP doesn't have Xon, and we have Gumi here, it is entirely possible ::haha::

Obstkeks, Tanatos and Veralian like this.
  13. Hollis

Hollis Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reberta
    true, I think it should be possible

14. Sinzar

Sinzar Member

There's a few builds for Leviathan's 3*

You can go for evoke damage, since I believe he's the highest damage esper when built for summoning.

You can go for the Aqua+ and Spirit+ killers, which is the most common build.

You can also go for Torrent (or whatever it gets translated to in GL), which is an AoE physical water skill with Flood frames and -50% water imperil, allowing anyone to perfect chain with a flood caster (dual wielders will perfect chain with Flood dualcasters too).

That's kind of whatever right now because there's no good units that can use Flood, but when CG Nichol upgrades to 7*, he gains Flood (and already has dualcast), so Nichol + any dualwielder on Leviathan gives you 2 chainers that fit into any team to easily build a chain for someone to cap. Here's the full list of currently available Flood frame skills: https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Chaining/Flood

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    MikePro and Tanatos like this.
  15. Veralian

Veralian Cherry on top VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Usually Hyoh
    Oh boy oh boy, that's gonna be like that FF XII event fighting Cid.

16. kurizu

kurizu Fina -> Sniper Waifu <3 VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL Tidus | JP Hyou
    165|99
    And 100% ice resistance, or your mtank will die like paper.

And you definetely want to break his ATK/MAG.. not DEF/SPR each turn, until you want to be smashed hard ;x

Getting update on thread.
    Leviathan is either easy or hard. It is easily possible to FTKO him with Nyx + 2 Hyoh LB chaining + Loren LB but then you wont get 2 esper missions.

Hollis likes this.
  17. Sinzar

Sinzar Member

That was from the "threshold lock" strategy, in which case Leviathan never uses ice damage.

If going for one of the slower methods though, yes you definitely need Ice too :)

18. seilaoque

seilaoque VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TDH Tidus, Trance Terra,tons of others
    I’ll nuke him on the first turn....
    Nyx fills LB, Knight delita breaks and imperils, ms Nichol fills the remaining crysts for hyoh and buffs, 2 hyoh and some finisher ends the job.

I’ll get the missions later, lol

MikePro likes this.
  19. Veralian

Veralian Cherry on top VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Usually Hyoh
    Gonna go the slow method and fun seeing all his attacks are worthless, I still didn't use my main team for any good trials yet.
    Thanks for the detailed guide btw, really helpful.

20. Sinzar

Sinzar Member

Here's two videos of me clearing this trial, budget team and normal team:

Budget--

Not budget --