1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Mad Doll Trial - Altenative Strategy

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Pbot, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Pbot

Pbot New Member

There is a OTKO strategy if you have 2 Hyou and 2 Trance Terra.

There is also a slow and steady strategy, but takes long time and require specific unit like illusionist Nicole, not many player including myself have it.

The quick and slow version is by @Sinzar. https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/9lbrlo/guide_calcabrina_two_methods_fast_and_slow/

Since I am lacking some of the specific unit listed. I used a different team which require 2 different tank and took about 30 turn for both phases. It also require some specific units, but there are alternative units to choose from, hopefully this will help some players who have similar units.

Here is my team composition.

100% evasion physical cover tank with 100% all ailment resist, Bahamut esper: 7* Merc Ramza. I had to use Ring of Lucii to get 100%. It made second phase more difficult on some turns when holy was proced. But magic tank was able to survive thanks to re-raise. Other choices, 7* Wilhelm, Basch, or enchanced WoL. This has to be 100% evasion and can cover all allies from physical damage. Do not use Golem, use Bahamut eaper instead. Actually don’t use Golem at all, since it’s 30% cover chance will mess up the overall strategy, and can be deadly.

Magic cover Tank with 100% status ailment resistance with Carbuncle esper. Basch. Other choice can be Mystea. There are two magic cover build that entirely depends on how physical covet tank was build.

1. If physical cover tank was build with ring of Lucii. Then magic cover tank need 100% elemental resistance on fire, lighting. 50%+ on water. 100% aliment resistance, and 700+ SPR. Plus LM Fina’s divine veil to counter the imperil.

2. If physical cover tank was build without ring of Lucii. Then magic cover tank requirement is not SPR dependent, 100% Fire, Lighting and Water resistance. Or 60% Fire, lighting and Water resistance + Lotus Mage Fina’s Divine Veil. Magic cover will be used for second phase, as long as you don’t attack boss with magic, magic cover will take 0 damage. It’s when holy was proced, doll will counter with magic that is not elemental based, so your tank need high SPR to survive.

Healer: LM Fina. Alternative can be Ayaka, if using Ayaka, then magic cover tank need to have 100% fire, water and lighting resistance. 100% status ailment resistance

Support: Rena. Alternative MS Nicole. Use Phoenix as esper. Armed with Arc Arcana for AOE magic damage bait, also have waterga and stone for trial. Must have re-raise on and AOE magic attack first to proc counter. 100% status ailament resistance.

Magic Damage dealer. 7* Trance Terra. Alternative, any AOE magic damage dealer. Make sure an AOE magic damage decoy with re-raise attack first. Geared for high magic, status ailment is optional.

Friend: Physcial damage dealer. Hyou armed with fire weapon and 2k+ attack, ideally with Diablo esper that has demon killer. Alternative: none.

Phase 1. 6x dolls.
    For phase 1, dolls are weak against magic with strong defense. TT will do most of the damage even without chaining.

Merc Ramza activate physical cover. Basch will break with Arms Eraser. LM Fina will cast re-raise on Rena and Merc Ramza. Rena cast Reflection for AOE SPR boost. TT use her CD skill for full magical activation and Hyou use his CD skill way of void.

On second turn or any turn that TT will do damage, use Rena to do an AOE waterga first, and use Basch to break def and spr using Armor Eraer. Then TT quad cast Chaos Flare with Hyou triple cast Servant of Blade. Should be able to take down 35% health on all dolls.

Rena will get killed by the magic counter. But she comes back with re-raise. Apply re-raise on her.

Merc Ramza can use Stone Throw if he has re-raise on. That will provoke and direct all single target damage to him. He may or may not survive, but as long as he has re-raise on, he can re-apply physical cover, and stone throw the turn after. On the turn with no provoke, dolls will randomly hit, some units may die, just raise and heal.

LM Fina, will use re-raise on Rena and Merc Ramz, when she has free turn, use her skill to fill LB gauge, or MP regen.

Rena will use her skill for AOE SPR boost, heal, and cure status ailment, and AOE magic damage bait on the turn TT do magic damage. Most importantly, Rena’s LB can buff, and HP/MP regen.

Phase 2.
    Do not use Magic until the doll get close to 30%. So TT will be support only, AOE heal and apply elemental resistance only. And Quad cast chaos flare to kill the boss on the last turn.

Only issue is the Ring of Lucii. When Holy gets proced, make sure Magic cover Guard to survive, and have re-raise on just in case.

In phase 2, Calcabrina has low defense, so use Hyou triple or dual cast flame blade to slowly chip away. Chain with LM Fina’s LB for some extra damage. It took about 10 turn to get the boss down to 30%.

Basch will active magic cover, and then Confusing Lament to break doll magic. Guard if holy was proced, and re-apply magic cover if he is killed and re-raised.

Merc Ramza will use 3 turn rotation, stone throw, blade of justice, then mind break. Merc Ramza can also use Raise from Phoenix esper during emergency situation.

LM Fina will need to use divine veil, apply re-raise, heal, or MP regen, use her LB to chain with Hyou. But save her LB when boss get close to 30%

TT use magical activation, so she could use dual white magic for heal.

Rena, cast Reflection for AOE spr boost plus magic damage mitigation, or use her LB.

When doll is down to 30%. Make sure LM Fina and Rena’s LB are full, and esper bar at 100%. Merc Ramza will call Bahamut. Use Basch to break def using Ruin Impendent. Use Rena LB to buff all.
    TT Quad cast Chaos Flare. Hyou triple cast 2 Servant of Blade, followed by his CD skill Phatom Blade, LM Fina use her LB to build the chain. LM Fina’s LB is the secret ingredient here, it helps build the chain that helps to kill the boss.

Good luck and have fun killing dolls.

Edit. Awaken Rain can be used as magic cover tank, but there is a 1/5 of chance he will cover Merc Ramza, so Merc Ramza failed to cover in round 1, and that can be deadly.

Merc Ramza and Basch works great as team since 1 can cover physical, the other can cover magic, and both can break, make sure to break Magic at all time, Basch can break by 50%, and Merc Ramza can break magic by 60% after Blade of Justice. If using alternative units like Mystea, arm her with World Destroyer.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. Obstkeks

Obstkeks Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh / Bonus unit
    Congratulations.

Team looks good, despite the DD not being able to chain together at all. (30 rounds is not too bad I guess.) What I like most about this trial is that people find more and more ways to handle the counters and attacks when not beging able to OTKO.

Pbot likes this.
  3. Pbot

Pbot New Member

@Obstkeks , There is no fun in OTKO, I tried again, and I was able to do it in 24 turns. In phase 2, I got too close to the 20%, and the counter from Merc Ramza took it below 20% before I could setup the final attack. But it turns out I was able to one shot those 6 dolls instead.

4. radium

radium Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fryevia, Tidus, Rageon, BSS, TT
    100% evasion
    I really hate that is forced so much on us.
    Is there any viable alternative?

5. Pbot

Pbot New Member

Maybe, the problem is the physical counter. You may survive round 1 if you don’t do any physical attack, because doll counter is 20x. With 1200 def and 50% mitigation, that’s 1000 to 2500 per hit depend on the doll. You could use re-raise to survive the counter. But that will keep your healer locked for re-raise. So it’s best not to deal any physical damage in phase 1, Your cover tank will survive. Lid’s break is considered physical attack, so you have to use Basch’s Arm Eraser or similar break that deals no damage. Otherwise 6x physical counter will chain you to death.

As for phase 2,since it’s single enemy, you can probably tank it with break, buff and damage mitigation. Your tank has to hit first, so on the turn your tank provoke, don’t do any physical attack.

6. Shammy

Shammy Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Fryevia, Lightning
    I want to give this strategy a shot! I don't have Rena or LM Fina but do have Ayaka and MS Nichol. How high magic was your Trance Terra?

7. Pbot

Pbot New Member

1786 with diablo esper, that was because the trial reward, I went in with 1750 I think. MS Nicole is good. Make it easier to remember, no physical attack in phase 1, no magic attack in phase 2, unless you are ready for the kill.