1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Marboro 2.0 without Hyou and Wilhelm

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Pbot, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Pbot

Pbot New Member

This is a guide for Venoms Vines of Death for player don’t have Wilhelm or Hyoh. I tried dozens of team compositions, finally I beat it with all rewards.

Here is my team setup. I used a single physical tank setup and let the team to take the Magical damage, as long as all of your units have 300+ SPR, they will survive multiple Bad Breath attack.

Tank: Basch, Physical cover with 100 evade.
    Main Healer: LM Fina
    Secondary Healer / Buffer / 30% provke with moogle plushie, and death resist: Rena
    Breaker: HT Lid.
    Magic Damage: 7* Trance Terra.

Friend units. 7* Hyou with Fire weapon with 100% ailment resist.

All units must have 100% Petrify, Stone, Sleep or Confusion resist.

Tank: Basch with 100 evade with Golem provoke. The only purpose for Basch is Down Guard and he will tank and evade all physical damages. An alternative to this would be enhenced WoL or 7* Wilhelm. During Phase 1, Basch will use Down Guard and evoke Esper only. During phase 2, Basch will use Down Guard first and then Provoke. Do not use proke during phase 1, Basch doesn’t have death resist, it will get killed by 100% KO, which results team wipe from Barrage.

LM Fina: her main job is Divine Veil for elemental resist, heal, reraise and LB.

Rena: why a second healer? Well, her niche is stop resist and cure stop, and she can cast dual ability like reflection, healing or cure status ailment. And most important, her LB, HP/MP regen, cure status break and buffer all team stat by 130%. That increases the team survivability. I also give her a moogle plusie shield and death resist, so she has 30% chance tank the 100% KO in phase 1. Do not use Golem Esper on her, although it will give you 100% provoke, Golem has also 30% cover, and she will cover for Basch and results in team wipe. Another unit fits in this role is Ayaka or Zargabaath, but none will work as well as Rena. Ayaka can heal but can’t buff, Zargabaath can buff, but can’t heal. Rena fits so well here, that she can cure status, cure ailment, buff team SPR, 30% auto provoke and death resist.

Breaker HT Lid, gear her for SPR and LB fill rate. I have her with 555 SPR, luckily I have Bowie’s knife with High Tide, and Aigaion Arm, and her TMR. She does only 3 things, Attack Break, Magic Break, and LB. An alternative is to give her Rikku’s Pouch, then use Eccentric to spam LB for the team.

Magic Damage Dealer. 7* Trance Terra. Her TMR is optional here, since this is a long fight, you don’t need to quad cast on the first turn. Instead, use a full awakening on turn one, buff her magic then quad cast Chaos Flare.

Friend unit. Hyoh, try to find one with 1800+ attack with fire weapon + status ailment resist.

Here are some tips for each phase.

Phase 1
    Do not use proke on Basch, and have re-raise on him at all time.

Use Way of Void on Hyoh, and Full Awaken TT on turn 1. TT Quad Chaos Flare and Hyoh Triple cast Flame Blade or Servant of Blade don’t chain perfect, but it still take down 5%. But if you add LM Fina’s limit break, it will chain, Quad Flare, triple cast Servant of Blade and LM Fina was able to take Malboro from 92% to 61%.

Below 60% theshold, Rena might go berserk, but just ignore it, keep health up and keep up with the break, and auto revive. If Lid went beserk, use Basch to break, it’s important to use down guard on Basch, and Arms Dissolver on HT Lid every turn.

Use LM Fina’s break before each threshold. But save Rena’s LB after threshold, so she could remove the status break.

When boss get down to 10%, do not use any LB, save them for beginning of round 2. Slowly chip away it’s health down to 3% and then use TT and Hyoh LB to kill for objective.

Phase 2 Tips.
    Make sure Basch down guard is up on turn 1. Use Rena, LM Fina, and HT Lid LB to buff, auto revive and break. You should be able to survive 3 Bad Breath, while Basch cover and evade all physical damage.

Turn 2, do not use Chaos Flare, or attack Queen with Hyoh. Instead, quad or dual cast Chaos Wave, and triple or dual cast Hyoh’s single enemy attack ability like flame blade, make sure to select the physical weak mini.

How do you tell which mini is weak to what? When you break with HT Lid, look at which mini takes the most damage, that’s the mini Hyoh will attack first.

Don’t kill any mini, but take all three mini’s health down together. When all 3 mini health down to about 30%, quad cast Chaos Flare, triple cast servant of blade, and use LM Fina’s LB, that will take the Queen down to 80% and kill all the mini if they didn’t jump away. Make sure to kill at least 2 mini, and then kill the last mini when it land next turn. Once the mini is gone, Queen is super easy to kill.

Use Down Guard on first turn for Basch, and then provoke every other turn to deal with the jumping mini. If any other unit get jumped by mini, use re-raise on them or use Fina’s LB. Keep up the health, and SPR buff using Rena’s reflection or LB, and break every turn.

Good luck everyone who had difficulties on this trial. I struggled at least 20 tries, since I don’t have 7* Wilhem or a single Hyoh. But I still manage to finish this trial within 100 turns. If you need help with any specific friend units, let me know.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    matt_b, Tanatos, Scheich and 3 others like this.
  2. Simno

Simno Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    eTrance Terra
    That looks really useful. Do you think MS Nichol can replace Rena or do you need her full healing power?
    I could use eWoL for Basch and MS Nichol for Rena.

3. DarkStarSquall

DarkStarSquall Active Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh what else?
    >130
    saw 100% evasion...::cactuar::
    will i ever be able to beat these difficult trials without wilhelm or a 100% evasion eq? D:

4. Pbot

Pbot New Member

I don’t have MS Nicole, but he could be an alternative since he can Buff and MP regen. One thing missing is stop resist. So LM Fina will need to use dispel, equip LM fina with Aura Staff, so she could do a single target dispel. Using dispelca works but you lose precious buff on other units. MS Nicole will also need to equip Moogle Plusie and Safety Bits

5. Pbot

Pbot New Member

No way, Barage attack is too high even for Wilhelm, I used a 1200 def Wilhelm, he barely make it, and get killed after few rounds. You could use Sara to do an AOE mirage, she will be doing that every single turn, and then a provker to soak up rest of the physical attack. You will also need a magical cover for this, so that’s 3 slots taken just to survive.

On second thought, you could probably survive the phase 1 with Sara doing AOE mirage, then in phase 2, those jumping bastard will kill your provoker every single turn

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  6. Simno

Simno Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    eTrance Terra
    How is 100% evasion even an issue for you (looking at your units)?

I can use stop resist with Lakhshmi. Do I need to let Nichol provoke if I can give my WoL death immunity?

7. DarkStarSquall

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh what else?
    >130
    can´t perform miracles with endless moogles to get the tmrs...

8. Pbot

Pbot New Member

Good idea, I keep on forgetting Lakhshmi existed, since I love Rena so much. Her dual ability was a life saver on many occasions.

9. Simno

Simno Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    eTrance Terra
    Rena is surely ideal for this case. Wish I had her, but I think I can't complain about my setup either. I'm just trying to figure out what I can do with what I have. Thanks for your help.

Shiranui/Wing Edges = 5% from very recent events (or older event: Kyomori = 10%)
    Demon Shield + Assassin's Vest + Wolf Mask = 20% from story/early trials
    True Spirit of Freedom + Spirit of Freedom = 25% from events in April
    Time Machine's Secrets, Turbulent Evasion are 5% from event TMRs as well
    Air Step = 5% from Esper
    2x Ring of Lucii = 50% from only 2 TMRs which are very good anyway

10. Pbot

Pbot New Member

Twenty Side Die offers 20%, another alternative to Ring of Lucii, and it’s 3* based TMR.
    Quick Assault: 10%
    Basch TMR: 10%

MS Nicole is definitely works for this, he has HP/MP regen and buff, and he can fill your LB crystal. Combined with Lakshmi, it would work. With MP and HP Regen, you freed up LM fina on the turn she needs to cast Re-raise, or apply elemental resist

11. DarkStarSquall

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh what else?
    >130
    it is not like i don´t know what evasion skills are. My problem is that i missed the past event stuff and that is why the building of an evasion tank is so difficult for me.

12. Luffy

Luffy "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    I.Nichol lb can work

13. Pbot

Pbot New Member

Do you have 2 Hyoh? Or 7* Trance Terra and at least 1 7* Hyoh? If yes, you need to find a friend with 7* full evade Wilhelm with death resist.

14. Otherwise

Otherwise Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra, Fryevia, bonus units
    Wilhelm doesn't need evasion if you have breaks, buffs, and mitigation. I took Nichol and Lid and Barrage really didn't do much to a 1200 Def Wilhelm.

15. Pbot

Pbot New Member

I borrowed a 1200 Def Wilhelm, and he took a beating, I couldn’t keep his health up. Maybe I did something wrong. Perhaps if you could keep his buff, HP regen and damage mitigation up. Wilhelm will be fine. But my full evade Basch survived entire fight and laughing at those jumping mini every time they land.

16. Tanatos

Tanatos Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    838 612 439
    Leads:
    Hyoh,TT
    Rena MVP. I used her and no magic tank. ::blackmage::