1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Marie is criminally underrated

Discussion in 'Unit Discussion' started by Diaskeaus, Nov 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Diaskeaus

Diaskeaus Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra
    Marie is criminally underrated as a 7* unit. She's niche (just like she was in her 6* form), but she is now even more niche and is scary good for certain teams.

She's basically a one-woman Trance Terra for teams that use SPR and DEF chainers (so if you have Lilith/Viktor/Lila/Citra), because she can buff both SPR and DEF by 200% on the first turn.

::think::

Marie 7★
    Right hand: Rod of Judgment MP+20%, ATK+9, MAG+81
    Left hand: Dreamwaker MP+15%, ATK+19, MAG+15, SPR+49
    Head: Whitebrim MP+15%, ATK+18, DEF+15, SPR+15
    Body: Pure White Robe MP+15%, DEF+30, SPR+44
    Accessory 1: Elven Gloves MP+20%, DEF+3
    Accessory 2: Merald's Belt MP+20%, ATK+5%, DEF+5, MAG+5%, SPR+5
    Materia 1: Dual Wield
    Materia 2: Cerebral Augmentation HP+15%, MP+15%
    Materia 3: Naga's Protection MP+20%, SPR+20%
    Materia 4: MP +30% MP+30%
    Esper: Shiva HP+93, MP+105, ATK+58, DEF+61, MAG+100, SPR+98
    Total: HP:6936, MP:1340, ATK:307, DEF:319, MAG:417, SPR:560

Using the above build (which has no TMRs/non-free items) Marie is regaining 67 MP per turn. Even if she casts her MP battery ability "Sprinkles of Love" her MP will restore 45+67=112 by her next turn. So the argument against her with the huge cost of her abilities isn't valid, as you are not bringing her because of her amazing attack potential.

But what about something a little different?

::search::

Marie 7★
    Right hand: Arc Arcana ATK+8, MAG+68, SPR+68
    Left hand: Dreamwaker MP+30%, ATK+19, MAG+15, SPR+49 (IW :MP +15%)
    Head: Minstrel's Prayer MP+20%, DEF+8, MAG+42, SPR+46
    Body: Pure White Robe MP+15%, DEF+30, SPR+44
    Accessory 1: Rikku's Pouch DEF+3
    Accessory 2: Ignis's Food Notes DEF+8, SPR+8
    Materia 1: Dual Wield
    Materia 2: Love HP+30%, MP+30%
    Materia 3: Cowered Courage DEF+30%
    Materia 4: Love HP+30%, MP+30%
    Esper: Lakshmi HP+77, MP+66, ATK+41, DEF+46, MAG+44, SPR+72
    Total: HP:9201, MP:1127, ATK:261, DEF:361, MAG:379, SPR:589

[HIGHLIGHTS]
    In this new version of Marie, she has a MP regen of 56 per turn. No STMRs, only TMRs. This Marie can:
    • raise the resistance on every element 70%, and she can dualcast these (except for the light and dark, which is a one-shot with two-in-one)
    • AoE imperil by 40%
    • increase resistance to all status ailments (including charm and stop) and heal all status ailments
    • regen heal to full and AoE heal party (Curaga-level ability that also removes DEF breaks and increases DEF by 100%)
    • MP battery over-time (120 MP over 3 turns)
    • give everyone a 2000 HP barrier with built-in MP restore (every 4 turns)
    • increase DEF/SPR by 200% (every 6 turns, but only lasts 1 turn)
    • be very hard to kill (she can only be targeted by AoE attacks, and she has a huge passive to SPR and DEF)
    • use her LB often (only costs 11 crysts) which does an AoE reflect (plus she can single target reflect for 3 turns)
    • dispel an ally (no need for curaga/dispelga shenanigans for just one unit)
    • Increase MAG+SPR or DEF by 100% at will

::spoony::

But like I said, she is the perfect support unit if you are sporting SPR/DEF chainers, because her abilities seem almost tailored to SPR/DEF team compositions, especially since you probably also have a magic or physical cover tank in the mix who has defensive-->offensive scaling abilities.

And having her means you can still have a healer, two chainers, and a finisher and you will burn through a lot of content like butter (plus a third chainer for good laughs as your friend unit).

Alucardsoma, Magoya, Tamamo05 and 9 others like this.
  2. Fenix808

Fenix808 Mr. Aloha (^o^)/ VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    252 911 038
    Leads:
    Olive for Omega
    Wait, her lovely guard protects against stop and charm too!?!?

Seven likes this.
  3. Diaskeaus

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra
    No, but 3* Lakshmi does.

Seven likes this.
  4. Fenix808

Fenix808 Mr. Aloha (^o^)/ VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    252 911 038
    Leads:
    Olive for Omega
    Ah, okay, I was aware of that, thanks. I think Marie would be a lot more viable if she could grant protection against charm and stop.

Alucardsoma and Ferax like this.
  5. Eynskaet

Eynskaet "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    lots
    Nice thoughts. ::up:: I hope there are no big holes in your logic, and that it remains workable without the 5* TMRs, 'cause I just got Marie #2 on the EX 5* and I'd love to have a value for her beyond a Rainbow Robe. :) Gotta think about/keep a watch on this. ::mog::

update (in progress):
    So Ignis's TMR gives three separate abilities and Cowered Courage a fourth.
    ....the only accessories I see that do anything similar to Ignis's TMR, though much less than that, are Elven Gloves and Pod 153, which are both limited time items. Similar issue with Cowered Courage.... limited time ability, nothing else really similar.

Allowing Pod so as to continue the exercise (since everyone and their mother references Pod(s) as if everyone has one, and 'cause mebbe NieR will come back so I can get my 2nd one, and my 7* killer roboladies) and since it has some overlap with both Food Notes and Cowered Courage's abilities, and swapping out Roy's and Rem's TMRs for non-5*, non-limited replacements....

Head: Trick Hat MP+15%, MAG+35, SPR+35
    Right hand: Dreamwaker MP+15%, ATK+19, MAG+15, SPR+49
    Accessory 2: Pod 153 DEF+8, SPR+8
    Materia 2: MP +30% MP+30%
    Materia 3: MP +30% MP+30%
    Materia 4: HP +30% HP+30%
    Esper: Lakshmi HP+67, MP+61, ATK+36, DEF+39, MAG+41, SPR+67
    Total: HP:7670, MP:1103, ATK:267, DEF:285, MAG:316, SPR:554
    55 MP/turn
    • raise the resistance on every element 70%, and she can dualcast these (except for the light and dark, which is a one-shot with two-in-one)
    • AoE imperil by 40%
    • increase resistance to all status ailments (including charm and stop - seperately, 1 per turn for 3 turns?) and heal all status ailments
    • regen heal to full and AoE heal party (Curaga-level ability that also removes DEF breaks and increases DEF by 100%)
    • HP restore (3000 HP, 9x) split over 3 turns to all allies
    • MP battery over-time (120 MP over 3 turns)
    • give everyone a 2000 HP barrier with built-in MP restore (every 4 turns)
    • increase DEF/SPR by 200% (every 6 turns, but only lasts 1 turn)
    • be very hard to kill (she can only be targeted by AoE attacks, and she has a huge passive to SPR and DEF)
    • use her LB often (only costs 11 crysts) which does an AoE reflect (plus she can single target reflect for 3 turns)
    • dispel an ally (no need for curaga/dispelga shenanigans for just one unit)
    • Increase MAG+SPR or DEF by 100% at will
    • 30% Physical mitigation to all allies for 3 turns (not included in your original list)
    • 40% Physical mitigation to all allies for 2 turns
    • crisis chainbotting and a drop rate boost, fwiw

...but have to think about how rotations would work to make use of carrying two utility accessories plus the skills that would be the reason for bringing her in the first place; this is has always been the struggle of trying to increase the functionality of the less OMG support units....

...out of time/steam for now....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Aaaa111, Seven and Diaskeaus like this.
  6. Ender

Ender Active Member

Marie has such a pretty sprite =3

Lyra and Seven like this.
  7. liddokun

liddokun Ascended Member

Loved her, too bad it's one sided lol. One of the oldest unit that I don't have.

Don't forget her reflect trick. With another underrated unit, Livid Shantoto, they can do a big damage.

Loved her sprite too, kinda remind me of Card Captor Sakura a bit. ^^

8. Diaskeaus

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra
    The reflect trick is great - just remember not to use a spell that ignores SPR! It will punch straight through the reflect and flatten your unit/units.

9. Wind858

Wind858 Active Member

Gosh... I got two 7* Vic, one 7* Lilith and one 7* Marie. Can't believe I missed it... thanks for the tips!!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Diaskeaus likes this.
  10. Kuuro

Kuuro Weebl0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh
    PREACH! Been on that Marie train since i 7* her

Diaskeaus likes this.
  11. Culpra

Culpra Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra
    Marie was one of my first 6* units, and was my very first 7* unit. I personally find a lot of great use for her. Used her on Marlboro v1. I also use her on Story Events, Raids, King Mog, etc for the imperil, and her cooldown ability, which is basically a safe turn, for when i fuck up.

Diaskeaus likes this.
  12. project 86

project 86 VIP VIP

marie problem is her big thing was always elemental resistance and now we have units who can buff like 4 by 70% in a turn while she can still only do 2

cg nichol can buff water/ice/light/dark by 70% in 1 turn
    dark fina can buff fire/wind/earth/dark by 70% in 1 turn

Shr likes this.
  13. Ender

Ender Active Member

Please don't forget that people are unlucky with their pulls and need to rely on other ways of buffing resistance for me I need to use LM fina to use hers. XD People say use this unit and I imagine if the person had the unit they would use it. So it is best not to forget the 4* stars or other 7* stars that can do the job as well.

14. Lukahn

Lukahn Ascended Member

Also for both builds:
    • Loves you all

15. Diaskeaus

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra
    I'm still unlucky enough that I don't have either of those units.

But if you've got them both and they are both being used in your party, for example Nichol as your support and Fina as your finisher/magic chainer (and all you need is elemental resistances) then they would be far preferable to Marie. The only benefit to using Marie is that you've got a complete package wrapped up in a nice green bow.