1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Mini Review: Enhanced Gladio (Final Fantasy XV)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Sieghard ✓ Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Kurasame | JP: Akstar
    When I talked about Gladio in my fourth 7* batch review, I missed something crucial about him and his performance. A couple of JP players (Thanks to Woop and Axtun) on the reddit discord did inform me about an interesting as well as effective usage of Gladio. So, I'm quite happy to present you this! Also mini review because it's pretty much about one ability only.

Mini Gladio Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

Royal Guard:
    Gladio when he got released got a new and interesting mechanic: A 100% ST cover that covers all damage. At that time there wasn't a real use for it because provoke tankers were able to manage everything either way and Gladio had only decent tank stats, provided nothing else and frankly as time went on there was no reason to use him either.

Now that trials focus more and more on both AoE physical and magic damage his trait to cover ALL damage (including fixed and uncoverable damage), this becomes a lot more interesting alongside his enhancements and 7* upgrade.

His 7* upgrade with enhancements grants Gladio a TON of defensive bulk. With IW enhancements you can easily hit 25k HP + 1300 DEF + 600~700 SPR, though I'd recommend focusing on DEF / SPR depending on the trial. With STMRs this goes even higher due to Imperial Armor, etc. If you have them it's great, but Gladio will only need TMRs to be effective that way.

His Royal Guard enhancements boost the turn duration by one as well as the mitigation by 25% for a total of 75% mitigation, which is crucial. This means we are looking at a ST cover with 100% proc chance and a 75% mitigation that covers ALL damage. Currently the only trial with uncoverable damage is Europa from Scorn of the Marching Beasts, but there will be coming more. AoE physical and magic damage at the same time is already quite common but will also be focused more on in the future.

GL Buffs:
    In GL Gladio got some more love. It makes him perform better but it isn't crucial as his usage was already effective in JP if you had the gear.

In GL he gets easier access to status ailment protection, possibly saving you stats, as well as full break resistance on his Royal Guard +2, which can make him more effective as the strat we are going to use him for can hinder you from bringing your regular party. If you didn't have break resistance before it's even better.

Another great addition is his Auto-Regen +2, which is a stronger version of the Champion Regen with Auto-heal (2000 HP, 3x) per turn. With his own 100% SPR buff on Royal Guard +2 this can heal up to 3.2k HP per turn on average with a decently SPR Gladio. Compared to other regens this might not seem like a big deal, but I have to repeat myself: the way you will use Gladio might hinder you from bringing your regularly deployed units and thus potentially losing out on a strong regen. He can also counter with self 25% HP/MP recovers, which makes him self sustainable.

Strategy:
    What I wanted to present to you initially is how you can use Gladio. This "requires" you to own two 7* Gladios, which also means you'd have to pass on his STMR if you don't own 6 of him. This isn't accessable to all users so take it with a grain of salt.

A JP FFBE youtuber (Py Cheng) makes use of this strategy a lot and it can trivialise really hard trials such as Bloody Moon Reborn by a lot.

His Bloody Moon Reborn Trial Video:
    (You can also check his channel for more Gladio clears)

What you are seeing is a team composition with a provoke tank (Olberic), a healer (Aerith), two damage dealers and 2x Gladio. Which should immediately show you that even IF you have 2x Gladio 7*, this might still be too expensive for you as you need to be able to gear 2-3 tanks depending on whether or not you will bring a provoker, too. If you have your own two chainers you can ask around for a Gladio / provoker friend. Trials up to that point can be done with TMRs only on them, but fully gearing three tanks is not a cakewalk.

Essentially you are skipping on AoE tanks, make your Healer tanky enough (which shouldn't be too hard) and redirect all the nasty ST attacks to your provoker that could otherwise kill your healer. Your two Gladios will cover your damage dealers. For instance with the upcoming Sieghard he can go for an 100% innate provoke build and use his LB mitigation for Gladio. Be creative with your provoke / healer slots!

Gladio will keep your damage dealers completely unharmed. Thus the 75% damage mitigation on Royal Guard is NEEDED.

If you can pull this strategy off, most trials will become a lot easier. It's also great if your damage dealers can buff their own ATK or MAG as you can only slot in two units that aren't chainers / Gladio. You can also go with a solo DPS route, but that way you should already have enough stuff to prevent the need of this strategy. Not that it's a needed one to begin with.

If you don't need to Guard on the off turns, you can also give Gladio other stuff such as Pod 153, Barusa's TMR or any support related TMR. Maybe even Rikku's Pouch? It all depends on how much tankyness is required for a trial.

Conclusion:
    It's a fun but incredibly effective strategy and IF YOU CAN PULL IT OFF I recommend trying it out. If you can't, don't feel bad about it.
    Gladio as an AoE physical tank is serviceable but not unique. Gladio as a ST cover tank with another Gladio is unique and powerful. I missed that on my first evaluation on my batch review and I hope I can make him more appealing for the small niche of players out there that have too many Gladios in their pocket and a lot of gear accessable.

[​IMG]

I had a lot of fun writing this. A very short but (hopefully) informative post. :)

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    BigNBald5, 21er, Sivispara and 44 others like this.
  2. Kaiser_Decimation

Kaiser_Decimation Ascended Member

Global ID:
    295 801 115
    Leads:
    Hyoh / Hyoh
    Just to clarify, Gladio will cover the ST stuff on his chosen targets, and also cover the AOE attacks on his chosen target as well?

Eeeeek! if so :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

PS: I cant watch the video at work so might be obvious in the video is all lol

3. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
  4. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Sieghard ✓ Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    He covers ALL damage on the selected target.

AoE damage, ST damage (if no provoke tank), fixed damage, physical damage, magic damage, uncoverable damage, everything.

Redtide and Scheich like this.
  5. Kaiser_Decimation

Kaiser_Decimation Ascended Member

Global ID:
    295 801 115
    Leads:
    Hyoh / Hyoh
    Oh wow :) Ill have to watch that video later then! :)

Redtide likes this.
  6. RoxemLan

RoxemLan Ascended Member

Leads:
    1,9k Hyoh,Aileen, Barbariccia, Emperor
    I am 6 Gladios away for this strategy but I am liking this video so hopefully someone can make It!

I want him cause my Demon Rain would love his TMR...

Redtide and ClassZeroCadet like this.
  7. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    You only need 4. 6 if you want one STMR copy and keep two 7*s.

RoxemLan likes this.
  8. RoxemLan

RoxemLan Ascended Member

Leads:
    1,9k Hyoh,Aileen, Barbariccia, Emperor
    You're right. I misunderstood that while I was trying to be the first making a comment (for the first time jajajaja)

Redtide likes this.
  9. Flame_alchemist

Flame_alchemist Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Tidus,eTTerra,Basch,lm fina and noctis
    Can you have both aoe cover and st cover active at the same time?
    If so the would be great for enemiesblike Shiva.

10. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/Ayaka/S.Nichol/Barb/Lilith
    I was quite happy when I pulled a dupe of him a while back when I was working on my 7* line-up. I am so happy now that he is a serviceable phy cover tank and that ST cover. (Still have to figure it out a long term provoke tank, but that can wait a bit, I think. Elfreeda seems to work very well with my team for now.)

11. lupinorris

lupinorris Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    I got 4 but I have his stmr now

12. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Nope. But if you have a provoker and 2x Gladio that cover your two damage dealers, the only ones who are getting the full AoE damage are your provoker and healer, who should be able to survive it anyway.

13. Phlucious

Phlucious Active Member

I don’t get it. Aren’t you throwing your healer to the wolves by leaving them uncovered?

Edit: seems really great for the 3* Odin trial in particular though!

14. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Healers are very tanky for the most part due to high HP and SPR.

15. Phlucious

Phlucious Active Member

Gotcha. Thanks!

16. Rowen

Rowen Active Member

And what about 3 gladios and a healer with provoke gear? So you can have your healer and damage dealers unharmed while those 3 bodyguards have 75% damage mitigation... That's some nasty stuff

IvaNL likes this.
  17. Seven

Seven Inactive Member VIP Supporter

Leads:
    None; this may be a hard case to crack
    Wait, I thought ozztta also does this, but without mitigation?

18. GreenXia

GreenXia Well-Known Member

Sounds quite fun and unique, like it.

I just STMR'd him though...! Sweet stmr mind.

Seven likes this.
  19. mouiiyo

mouiiyo Well-Known Member

Hmm, ill do it with 2 gladio 6*. Must be enough for now

20. Eureka

Eureka Member

Global ID:
    561 229 886
    Leads:
    Rem
    As always thanks for your review! I know what catch my attention is his Royal Guard between all of his abilities. I think it's the only ability that differentiate him from other tanks. Perfectly suit his duty as The Prince's Shield!

Yesterday, I've just decided to make 2 7* Gladio thinking 'I have 2 at 6* max so why not make both 7*?' My thoughts at that time was expert quests. Who know that there is such strategy exist? But I don't have enough item/materia to make both tanky at the same time! Might take a lot of time to reach that superior level... 31k HP.... ::rudecat7::

Memel0rd likes this.