1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Need help with 6x chain cap and Indestructible Light

Discussion in 'General' started by Kaisinel, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Kaisinel

Kaisinel Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Ok so I keep reading about 6x chain cap etc and I just got my indestructible light from SS Lightning. So how does this work? 1st how do I know who is and isn't a 6x chainer/finisher? Doesn't really tell me anywhere on the character stat screen. And 2nd I can only use 1 on the unit and can't combine with the 50% mod thing we got for free? Sorry I don't really understand the mechanic of the game that well for those who are going to criticize.

2. TheKillingJoke

TheKillingJoke Doomicorn VIP

Global ID:
    833 586 843
    Leads:
    Total Chads
    Per additional chain hit +0.x damage more than on the hit before. Because ffbe has some long chains and some strong multipliers, the maximum damage is capped by 4x-6x. Most TDH units have the lower 4x damage mod cap. Lightnings STMR increases that to 5.

As far as i know the STMR will just overwrite the 50% mod.

You can look at each unit in the wiki and search the site of the unit for the cap. Manually. Most TDH units, if not all (don't know if there are exceptions), are sure to be capped at 4x damage for their highest chain mod.

3. AQMystic

AQMystic "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Has it been tested that SS Lightning STMR overwrites the free one we got?

But to answer the OP question, here's another explanation, when doing chains we get a modifier for bonus damage, default modifier cap/max is 4x, and this applies to all units

Now there are some units who gets a passive skill which increases that modifier by another 200% or 2x, which then gives that unit a max chain modifier of 6x instead of the default 4x

To find out whether a unit has a 6x chain cap or a 4x one, just look at all their passives and see if they have one that says something like "boost damage limit of various chains by 200%", if you find one, then that means that unit's chain cap is 6x, if there is none, then their default chain cap is 4x

Now SS Lightning STMR works in a way similar to those passive, but only increases the chain cap by 100% or 1x, do remember that chain cap is hard locked/capped at 6x, so if a unit has a passive that increases their cap by 2x, the STMR won't work on them

fletcha likes this.
  4. victor sant

victor sant "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    437 540 226
    Leads:
    2Best, Ibara, Tifa, S.Elena
    it doesn't overwrite, it stacks up to 200% that is the cap for it.

fletcha, Sartre and TheKillingJoke like this.
  5. RaagisEd

RaagisEd "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Varies
    Lightning herself and Mazurka that i know of, have 5x and will cap at 6x if equipped with that nice STMR

Sartre, BigNBald5 and TheKillingJoke like this.
  6. Double

Double VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Not Paladin Cecil
    Unfortunately, the game doesn't show you how much bonus damage boost the unit gains when chaining, the only way is going through the units passives.

As I understand it is: Every unit can gain a bonus damage when doing damage in a built chain, that's 300% (you can see it while chaining) The chain Bonus passive that you mention is an increase bonus that adds up to that 300%, with a max increase of 200%.(300%+200%=500%). So, units that have that passive gain an extra bonus damage when doing damage in a built chain. Some have innate 200%, others 100% or non. Now, about Lightning's STMR (100% bonus) and Chain compression (50% bonus) materias. With this type of materia you can add bonus damage to units that don't have that passive in their kit. For Example True Double Hand units.

Examples:
    Cleo Akstar: 300% + Indestructible light + Chain Compression = 450% bonus Damage.
    WoL Bartz: 300% + Dual Blade Mastery (200%) = 500% Bonus Damage.
    Savior Lightning: 300% + Chain Mastery (100%) + Indestructible light = 500% Bonus Damage.

There's more to it, but you'll have to go into formulas to know when to use them. You can also do tests with the dummy.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    fletcha and Junglist like this.
  7. Kaisinel

Kaisinel Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Ok thank you I think I have a better understand of it. So Lassgen has the *enhances chains 200%* so it would not work on him but other units it will. And basically wait till the chain % thing on the side is 300% to use his finisher for max damage?

Sartre likes this.
  8. Sartre

Sartre Murder Bunny Enthusiast VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther, Nanaki, Physalis, Moog
    S
    Lots of good advice already given and I'll try not to repeat too much of what has already been said.

Most TDW units innately have the 6x chain cap, and that's a hard cap that cannot be exceeded as of now (even in JP I don't think you can exceed a 6x chain cap currently).

TDW units with this ability will typically have a passive ability in their kit that looks and reads like this:
    Screenshot 2021-04-06 084911.png

Even some (but not all) TDW mages have this same passive even tho they're not necessary wielding blades.

There are no TDH units that innately have a 6x chain cap currently. There are currently two units that innately have a 5x chain cap, tho (SoS Lightning and NV Mazurka) and future TDH units may also get this particular passive ability that looks like this:

Screenshot 2021-04-06 084945.png

You can then use either Chain Comprehension (increased by a further 50%) to reach a 5.5x chain cap or SoS Lightning's STMR Indestructible Light (extra 100%) to hit the hard cap of 6x.

Even if you're TDH unit does not have this passive, however, it is a really good idea to slap on Indestructible Light to get that bump up to 5x, as it will give you a nice boost in damage to all of your abilities. Even using Chain Comprehesion which only boosts it to 4.5x is really quite good.

This does significantly increase your damage, especially that first jump from 4x to 5x. The law of diminishing returns means it'll be a smaller damage boost going from 5x to 6x, but still significant. The perk is that TDH units also get weapon variance when wielding 2-handed weapons, so that actually gives them an edge over TDW units who are stuck at an average wep variance of 1, while TDH units can equip some weapons that have an average variance of 1.3 to 1.5. This means even if they only have the 5x chain cap, they're dealing the equivalent damage of a 6.5-7x chain cap after the variance.

This damage boost only really applies if you're actually hitting the chain cap, however, so keep that in mind. It also applies to finisher moves as long as they hit after the chain cap has been reached by your support chainers.

Do keep in mind that you can't necessarily trust the 300% cap indicator that is now displayed on the screen as that only tells you when you've hit the 4x cap. It's better to know how many hits it takes to reach the cap you're aiming for, especially if you're timing your finishers.

To reach the 4x cap you'll need:

30 non-elemental chain hits or 15 elemental chain hits (double element and/or spark chains are even less, but better to be conservative)

To reach the 5x cap you'll need

40 non-elemental hits or 20 elemental chain hits

To reach the 6x cap you'll need

50 non-elemental hits or 25 elemental hits.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    DarkCobra, Nouk, fletcha and 3 others like this.