1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Need help with Ultros & Typhon

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Axwind, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Axwind

Axwind Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Squall, Nyx
    Been trying to beat this trial and I keep getting wiped even with 1400 MAG friend units. Playing catch up the whole time because of the stupid preemptive attacks, which can't be tanked or reduced. I can beat the first round fine, it's the second that gets me. Basch tanks some of the damage but not all of it and eventually gets killed, leading the rest to get hit. Even with double Full-Life, Rosa can't keep up because units can't act on the same turn in which they're revived (which is ridiculous), and there doesn't seem to be a way to autotank, since you have to actually choose the command first, and since Basch can't do anything after being revived, he can't tank, which means everyone else takes damage as well or gets snorted. I break Ultros' ATK and MAG and can kill him, but I can't finish off Typhon. Not even a 1400 ATK Hyoh friend was able to cut through his HP in one turn or even two turns because of all the repeated KO's trapping me in a healing cycle. I can usually get Typhon down to 50 or 60% health but that's about it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. leemanho

leemanho Religiously F2P VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    950 921 563
    1400 ATK Hyoh friend? I honestly have never seen a Hyoh with so low ATK. I'm sure you can befriend some stronger friends here to help you.

Shr likes this.
  3. Masvroh

Masvroh Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra, A2, Onion Knight, Noctis
    Any Innate draw attack provoker helps since Acid Rain dispels your buffs, including tank's cover. This kind of provoker, even dispelled, will always get hit by ST attacks, especially from Typhoon ST nuke. So, your team won't get hit and die randomly. Wilhelm, Barusa, Ozetta, Cagnazzo and Snow can do this.

Unfortunately, Draw Attack only has 50% chance to get hit. But you can increase the chance with gears and turn it into 100%

But, unfortunately, those gears are event-limited. Might as well asking for help if you need a draw attack provoker.

The draw attack

And the items to increase the draw
    Moogle Plushie is the only non limited gear.

4. Axwind

Axwind Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Squall, Nyx
    I have a 1900 one too, but he wasn't available at the time. I don't know why the Gumi has the game limit friend availability like that, it makes no sense. I also don't know how people get his ATK so high. I can remember when 700 was considered high. Now not even 1000 is enough. The power creep is insane. I have Cagnazzo but I don't have much good tank gear yet. I don't have Moogle Plushie either. No fight should only be winnable with limited or TMR equipment.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  5. Xacques

Xacques Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reberta, VD, Tidus,Lila, Barba, Mateus
    100<x
    Have you consulted the strategies in the meantime?? I know following it step by step is boring but if done right, it guarantees a win. Also, gear your basch with more hp and block if you have done your breaking (if possible)

6. Axwind

Axwind Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Squall, Nyx
    I read the instructions on the wiki but there' s nothing step by step. I have him use Dawn Guard while Nyx does the breaking, so he can focus on tanking, but it's still not enough. Doesn't seem like any amount of HP matters when Typhon hits for 20000 to 30000 each time. No unit can survive that, and no healer can keep up with it.

7. Etzel009

Etzel009 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Ignis, Olive, Kurasame
    This trial can be soled with Noctis, I'm doing a test run with mine now, if I succed, I can lend it to you.

8. Wdiggums

Wdiggums Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    depends on event
    Let me know if his noctis works , if not I can set up a carry kryla , have to use her hex maneuvers ( they are single target take out the snorter first ) she does fixed damage and it depends on how many imperils you have on a target. Like if you have def att mag spr down and then fire ice lightning water earth wind debuff and hit it with her lb she will do 20000x8 damage per round 3 rounds I think ( kryla double imperils each of those , fire/ice , earth wind, lightning water. She is also a single target breaker one at a time break, but she can dual cast abilities) being lazy to set her up just yet xD I don’t have basch tmr shield but don’t need it. https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/8el7ac/solo_kryla_carry_for_octopus_teacher_trial/ Link to YouTube video here need a unit with libra for all missions. Tidus or noctis should also do. Just keep in mind if someone sets tidus with evade and WATER element weapon you might be screwed for octopus.

lupinorris likes this.
  9. Axwind

Axwind Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Squall, Nyx
    Thanks, it's worth a try. How do I get the limit bar filled up fast enough to do the burst? I only got it full one time, and I've tried like four or five times to beat them.

10. Etzel009

Etzel009 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Ignis, Olive, Kurasame
    Well, Noctis can self fill pretty quick.

Add me and give it a try if you want. Just make sure in the first wave to use point-warp after he uses Hailstone to fill HP. And in the second wave, go for Typhon first, and we he takes a big breath, jump, otherwise he will snort you out of the battle.

11. Masvroh

Masvroh Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yes and no.
    Those trials below 10* can be beaten without TMR but not for above.
    Trials should be harder and harder every release. Therefore, it's inevitable to gear your team better. And those better Equipments are from TMR. If the lastest trials can be beaten without TMR at all, then they are no different than old trials, easy difficulty. And I can see people complain about it, no challenge and all.

Don't worry about it, by the time you fight harder trials, you will have had a lot of TMRs. Trust moogles are raining down easy, some old TMRs are sold in KM or given from Raid rewards. And some also given in form of specific moogles in Raid summon.

Yup, a lot of people beating trials with free TMR. And some people have the best equipments because they are planning in what banner should they spend their lapis for to get a unit or TMR. And use their hoarded moogles instantly to a unit they have got to get the TMR.

And again, many times I've said it that friend system is awesome. You can ask what you lack and people will lend you to cover it. I can lend you a full dodge Snow if you want.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    matt_b likes this.
  12. Xacques

Xacques Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reberta, VD, Tidus,Lila, Barba, Mateus
    100<x
    If i remember it right, Typhon needs to be killed first or something.

13. Xshock

Xshock Ascended Member

Last time i touch this trial , my team was decent with not any 7* unit and the key was olive friend , she could one shot both Ultros and Typhon with some decent chainner. You just need to keep your team survive , healer with raise and reraise could help. To be honest even a trial like malboro was outdated coz of 7* era so you just need a good strategy and you will pass it easily.

14. Axwind

Axwind Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Squall, Nyx
    Yes, but where does the escalation stop? 20*? 50*? You can only go so far before you hit impossible. The moogles may be frequent, but it still takes grinding to get many of the 10% ones, which I understand and don't have a problem with, but there's also other stuff like UoC tickets to grind for at the same time, and sometimes the 10% moogles are locked behind hard optional bosses so they have to be passed up on if the player can't beat them or behind higher steps on a stepup summon which also have to be passed over if the player doesn't have the lapis to get there. I do have some TMR's, just not very many yet. Needing a full crew equipped with nothing but TMR's to beat something seems a bit excessive and unfriendly to F2P players who aren't likely to ever get to that level. I also understand planning ahead for which banner you want to pull for, but we don't have any way of knowing exactly when a specific banner will come so we don't know exactly how long we have to save for any one banner. Japanese version is only a rough guide, GL doesn't post a schedule of upcoming banners so we have to guess, which makes planning more difficult than it should be.

I do go after Typhon first, aside from breaking Ultros, I just can't keep my team alive long enough to finish him off because of the constant overwhelming damage that should be tanked but isn't because I can't select the command to do it because he can't act or tank in the same turn in which he's revived.

15. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/Ayaka/S.Nichol/Barb/Lilith
    Be patient. FFBE has a traditional RPG element in it. You won't get to fight the hardest boss, get the best loots, progress to harder area, or have an access to powerful unit/item/equipments right away. You will have to level up your team, collect less good items (aka middle-grade item), develop your roster before you can progress to the next level. Those stuffs that you mentioned "locked behind hard optional boss", "locked behind further down step-up", etc. are regularly offered. It is totally fine if you miss one now. You will get them next round once your teams are stronger. All the Vortex events (Raid, KM, and Story) always offer solid items for new players. Granted, they won't be the best, but they will help you a lot. Don't underestimate them.

As for difficulty, I think the way I look at it is you don't need TMR to beat everything. There are plenty of contents that you can beat without TMR, including the weekly vortex bosses. Likewise, there are plenty of contents that you can beat without 5*-based units or without 7* units. I think of it like they are different areas for players with different playstyle and I really like this point about FFBE.

As for about revive, I think losing a turn after being revived is fair. If you can act afterward, what is the point for tanks or defense in this game ?

As for the Octopus, what is your team ? Have you considered running two tanks, one cover (Basch) and one provoke ? This style will let you have a second layer of defense if Basch got killed. (This tanking strategy will be useful again later on.) Typhoon uses it's massive nuke atmost once per turn. So, the second tank should help keeping your team alive.

edit: Also, if Basch has a free turn, letting him (or any tank) defend (swipe down) also helps a lot.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Enzo and Masvroh like this.
  16. Enzo

Enzo Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Aileen, Barbariccia, Lunera
    Like the others have said, be patient. This isn't a game where you're meant to be able to clear all the content right from the start. It took me more than a year of playing before I got my first real 5* (technically I'd gotten a 5* roselia). By the time I cleared typhon and orthos, I'd already gotten more than 3 tmr (and moogles were a lot more rare back then). The only 5* base in my team was the friend unit (back when orlandeau was the meta damage dealer), and my own damage dealer was firion equipped with murasame and Excalibur (moogled using the free 100% from clearing chapter 1).

It sounds to me like what you need is a tougher tank, rather than the lackluster Hyoh friends you've been using. Or a well-geared Ayaka. I'm sure there are some forum members here who can provide an Ayaka that can survive the dispel combo of phase 2. Then just use her lb to get everyone back up. If you can't go through a trial quickly, turtle up. There are ways to clear these trials without op damage dealers. You're completely right that there was a time where 700 damage was already really high. And on the right unit, that much is enough to clear this. Provided you have the right team composition.

aa25 and Masvroh like this.
  17. Masvroh

Masvroh Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    By the time the escalation goes to 50*, the powercreeps too are evolving to another level. The trials are designed according to the rosters in that time. So it won't be unresolvable.
    The UoC are given 2 each month from KM and Raid. And those 2 events also have 10% moogles. Meaning, grinding UoC also means grinding moogles. The KM, if you grind with at least 200% bonus of your own, and 100% to 200% bonus from friend on ELT, it's enough to get the moogle and UoC and other neccesities as the event last for 2 weeks. That's a very long time. If you do it in LGD with the same bonus, the grind will over in approximately 6 days and if continue you will have a lot of leftover currency. No problem with the grind for KM.

As for the raid, just play it. Even if you missed some chance to do the raid because of sleep, you will still get the 4 millions points, means all the rewards. The event also last for 2 weeks and as long as you play it on ELT.
    No need to rush to get it from trials. There are plenty ways to get it.
    This is gacha game after all. And step ups do help to minimalize the RNG. But it costs a lot. Which is why planning is important to F2P. Although the thing that scared the most for F2P are Global Exclusivea as they are not exists in their JP counterpart. The most reliable banners that will surely come are those that is part of Final Fantasy series, be it main or spin-off. And story event units. They will surely come in the future and JP schedule has the list of the units and TMRs.
    Trust me a lot of forum members are F2P here. And they also have a lot of TMRs. 2 years ago I did think like what you think now. But it changed now. It's not impossible. But it takes time. Just be patient. No need to rush.
    FF series and story event units will surely come. In FF series collaboration, the question "when" is difficult to answer and GOOMI do release them in different order compared to JP. If you want something from the FF series, just save the Lapis.
    But, story event units are released in order, the same as JP. Story events are released once a month. And the order is pretty much the same as JP did. After Raegen is Hyoh, after Hyoh is Citra, after Citra is Elephim, after Elephim is Sieghart. So you can calculate your lapis if you pursue story event units. If you are planning to chase Sieghart, which will come to December, assuming you have 0 Lapis, you will have around 22K lapis when Sieghart come. Sieghart's step up costs 11K. But will probably have the same treatment as Hyoh, that he will get another step up, the 25K lapis one.

Which is why I recommend a unit who has innate draw attacks. If the 100% draw attacks tank died, even when raised from KO and can't act after being revived, the tank will always take the majority of damage because it's a passive skill. Passive skill doesn't have to be activated.

matt_b and aa25 like this.
  18. matt_b

matt_b Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Wilhelm/Bonus Unit
    This is pretty much a perfect response to all these points. If I could echo @Masvroh a bit, BE PATIENT.

You WILL NOT be able to beat every single trial/event/boss at rank 69. The trials are there permanently; there is no need to rush.

You DO NOT need every single unit being hyped as "META" immediately. I beat almost the entirety of season 1 story using my sole rainbow, Dark Knight Cecil, as DPS. Your roster will grow naturally with time.

Ask for help (which your initial post shows a willingness to do, so thats good)! There are whole sections on the forum for friend requests/team help/guides etc. Most members are happy to set up a unit suited to your needs or offer advice. We're a helpful bunch!

Lastly, and MOST importantly, life is short and you should spend your time doing things you enjoy. If you aren't deriving joy from this game, take a step back, examine why that is and adjust accordingly.

GL

Masvroh likes this.
  19. Axwind

Axwind Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Squall, Nyx
    I appreciate the insights, guys. I guess I just always felt that if I didn't have units in the very top that I wouldn't be able to clear the more challenging stuff. I didn't even know about Hyoh until he came out since I don't follow the Japanese version. I was more interested in Squall at the time, since FFVIII is one of my favorites of the series and all. I know he's not as good but for most things, he, Nyx, and T Terra get the job done well enough. I've actually been playing almost since launch, the Mog Cake event was where I started. Spent about a year of that on an alternate account, though, after Lightning came out, because I got frustrated due to RNG hating me at the time so I rerolled until I got her. Switched back to my original account when Squall came back, and RNG's been better to me this time, though I still wouldn't mind getting a 5* healer like Ayaka or CG Fina, at least until Aerith comes out. How long do you think that'll be before she's here? I know its quite a ways out still, most likely, just wanted to get a rough idea of how long I have to save up for the banner. FFVII is my favorite FF and I've always liked her, so I'd love to have her on my team. I was really happy I managed to get Cloud, too. Too bad he and Squall are both finisher types, otherwise I'd use them together more often. Since I don't have a second Cloud yet, he's on the bench for now, but hopefully I'll pull one sooner or later. I'm saving my next UoC to get a 2nd T Terra. Just got her TMR and finished awakening all her abilities except Ultima, so she's ready.

Masvroh likes this.
  20. Masvroh

Masvroh Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Iirc, in JP, the newest FFVII banner were released after Akstar's. If GOOMI don't mess up their schedule and translation, Akstar will come to GL on April~May. The FFVII will then come around June~August. Or maybe before Akstar's. So you have plenty of times to hoard your lapis to get Aerith.