1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  3. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  4. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

News News Brief - May 2 - NV Laguna | FF8 Raid Event and CB | Monthly Bulletin

Discussion in 'News & Events' started by Sartre, May 2, 2022.

1. Sartre

Sartre Esther is my Goddess Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter News Announcer

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther...that is all...
    H7
    Slow week, but the monthly bulletin brings some hints for this month's CoW unit :)

Bulletin.png

• We'll be getting a standard Dark Visions event this month
      • EX Stage 1: Avian magic stage weak to fire and dark
      • EX Stage 2: Dragon physical stage weak to water and wind
      • Final Stage: Beast/Human with no weakness
    • Clash of Wills Boss Details:
      • Fairy/Dragon type
      • Major weakness is Water
      • Minor weaknesses to Ice and Dark
      • Counters if not dealt water, ice, or dark damage every turn
      • Will reduce party's ability to evade attacks (accuracy?)
      • Will give you clear instructions and if you disobey you will die!
      • All signs point to NV Kaito :)
    401008506 Win Before.gif
    Full Details: https://lapis-prod-staticnews-gumi-sg.akamaized.net/prod//en/content/20220501MayMonthlyBulletin.html

banner1.png

• Laguna is a decent breaker, but is basically just the water version of Edge/Akstar/Raegan/Tulien
    • SLB comes with 87% full-break and 145% water imperil as well as a 35% gun imperil
    • STMR is a 2-handed gun with 220 flat ATK, 100% LB damage, and 75% dragon killer. Exclusive to Laguna: 500 static ATK.
    • TMR is a materia that can only be equipped by FF8 units! It gives 500 flat ATK and 50% killer to all races. Really great for Lone Lion Squall!
    • VC is decent, but really just a boost for Lone Lion Squall with that extra 500 static ATK
    VC.png

• Kiros & Ward are a physical DPS TAG-chaining unit with water and wind elemental tag-chains.
    • One of the few TAG-chaining SLBs with a respectable 300x modifier!
    • STMR is a 2-handed dagger (only 2h dagger in the game?) with 220 ATK with 100% human killer. Exclusive to Kiros & Ward: 500 ATK and 1041 SPR and reduces CD timer at beginning of battle or after being revived.
    • TMR is a 2-handed spear with 169 ATK and 199 DEF with 100% dragon killer and activates a barrier every turn. Exclusive to Kiros & Ward: 500 ATK, 1044 SPR, 300% HP and 200% DEF.

• Zell is a 4* unit that will be getting an NVA. He becomes an physical finisher with a water-locked SLB.
    • From 7* onwards, his LB will do a 120% AoE all-elemental imperil
    • His SLB also does an 87% AoE ATK/MAG break (to compliment NVA Squalls SLB)
    • After his SLB he can quad-cast several unlockable 1-hit finisher moves with a 475x mod increase to all abilities.

bannersummon.png
    • 42k pity step-up banner
    • Shards will be in the summon coin shop

Full Details: https://lapis-prod-staticnews-gumi-sg.akamaized.net/prod//en/img/20220502FF8LagunaFeaturedSummon.jpg

banner2.png
    • Standard Raid event
    • Not all the gear sucks this time! Notables are:
      • Laguna's Earring is a 45 ATK accessory with 50% human killer
      • Knowledge of Guardian Forces is a materia 30% ATK/MAG and 50% fairy killer
    Full Details: https://lapis-prod-staticnews-gumi-sg.akamaized.net/prod//en/img/20220502FF8FirstShootRaid.jpg

banner3.png
    • This one is limited to FF8 units only and can be challenging if you don't have any NV/A units from this series. But if you have your LL Squall at EX+1 and you bring your NVA Zell then you should be able to clean this one up in 5 turns or less.
    Full Details: https://lapis-prod-staticnews-gumi-sg.akamaized.net/prod//en/img/20220502FF8CBFujinRaijin.jpg

2. Kaiser_Decimation

Kaiser_Decimation "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    295 801 115
    Leads:
    Sub Account Team 296 712 116
    The unit aside, Laguna's STMR is pretty decent

BigNBald5, Sartre and Kaladin like this.
  3. Kaladin

Kaladin "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    1041 & 1044 SPR?!?! why the weird numbers? It has been too many years since I played FF8, does that have something to do with the original game or something?

BigNBald5 and Sartre like this.
  4. Larat

Larat "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    What i found weird at Kiros & Ward is that both tmr and stmr are 2 handed weapons. For a shifting unit ok, one for normalform and the other for braveshift. But kiros & ward are a superlimit unit, they only can equip one of the weapons. ::thonk::

BigNBald5 and Sartre like this.
  5. Sartre

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther...that is all...
    H7
    True, a 2h Gun with 100% LB dmg and killers is nothing to sneeze at.

It must be something from the game, but I don't know what it is, either ::thonk::

Yeah, it really doesn't make much sense, but I guess if you wanted them to be your provoke tank instead of a DPS you'd use the TMR for the increased HP/DEF and static SPR? Would make much more sense if they were a Role Shifter, but yeah being a SLB unit means you have to choose one role or the other, not both. Very silly, indeed.

Danziger, Scheich and Kaladin like this.
  6. Spartan 363

Spartan 363 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Will Laguna's STMR be helpful for NV Lara Croft? Would Laguna be a good unit to use alongside Louise?

7. Sartre

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther...that is all...
    H7
    If the killers match, for sure, and any situation where Lara can still cap killers while using her TMR it'll be better due to the much higher ATK stat. The LB dmg doesn't really matter as she caps it with her TMR anyway, and in CoW the LB doesn't matter. Is it worth chasing Laguna for? No. But if you get him and have an stmr moogle to spare, Lara will like it.

I'd say no, only because they want to run different elements. Laguna for water team, Louise for fire team. Louise can go off-element, sure, but neither unit is contributing enough DPS to the team to warrant bringing both on a mission. You'll want one or the other in almost all cases, not both.

BigNBald5 and Spartan 363 like this.
  8. Spartan 363

Global ID:
    Thanks for your helpful insight as always, I am continuing to chase NV Rinoa because she has been and will always be my biggest video game crush since I played FFVIII over 20 years ago lol. If I get him, I have four STMR Moogles to spare to grab his STMR for Lara and such.

Kaladin and Sartre like this.
  9. Kaladin

Global ID:
    I can confirm that Squall's SLB can one-shot the pair. Mine is at EX3 so turn 1 Squall did his fire-imbue and imperil, turn 2 did Taivas Spirit, and turn 3 two other FF8 units chained flood (from espers) and Squall capped with his SLB.
    Wind resistance helps on turn 2 and evasion takes care of the rest of the damage on the chainers but overall the damage is minimal.

Larat and Sartre like this.
  10. Scheich

Scheich "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Leads:
    Event / Trial Units
    Ex2 Squall also Works without taivas stmr. Then its depending in variance Either t5 or t4.

Kaladin and Sartre like this.
  11. Sartre

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther...that is all...
    H7
    Yeah, mine one-shotted both of em on Turn 3, and i dont even have Taivas Spirit so these two are a bit if a joke...which fits their in-game role ::joy::

Zells SLB has such a stupidly long wind-up it's awful, especially because it can't take advantage of Squalls higher def break since you have to send Zell about an hour before you click on Squall.

Kaladin and Scheich like this.
  12. Kaladin

Global ID:
    I went in blind so I had no idea whether I would have needed Taivas Spirit or not :D

Sartre likes this.
  13. Spartan 363

Global ID:
    What are your team setups if you don't mind? I have an EX3 Squall and Zell, EX2 Rinoa and an EX0 Squall dupe. All of them have their human killer and lb capped but have trouble beating the pair in less than five turns. I don't have Taivas Spirit though and I would appreciate any tips and such to beat the pair. Would replacing my EX0 Squall dupe for a 7* FFVIII unit be better and who should I use? Would OG Rinoa be a good replacement so that she can quad cast Apocalypse with my EX2 Rinoa?

Sartre likes this.
  14. Kaladin

Global ID:
    I equipped somebody with Obsidian bracer for the pre-emptive full break.

I set up somebody to be an evade/provoker. They also chained Flood (from espers - make sure and dual-wield) with somebody else on T3 where Squall capped with his SLB. I used squall's Fire imbue/imperil skill on both enemies and his Magnus for a self-buff. (I don't know if that was even necessary but it won't hurt and you have the first two turns to sit and do nothing else.
    Start the flood-chainers a second or so before Squall and watch them go boom. :D

If you are having trouble surviving turn 2, the boss casts tornado so some wind resistance would probably help but the damage doesn't seem very high. My other chainer was built for evasion too, btw.

Spartan 363 and Sartre like this.
  15. Sartre

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther...that is all...
    H7
    Here are my two clears:

It's basically just Squall and/or Zell capping Firaga chains from the two 7* FF8 units, in my case Seifer and Selphie. Seifer is a good choice here to be the evade/provoke unit for all the ST physical attacks. I gave him Gusty Attack in my second clear to boost wind resist for the team since I had to go all the way to Turn 5. Selphie is also good for providing mitigation, wind resist, and heals if you're taking too much damage. Seifer comes with Firaga innately so just give him Dualcast materia. Selphie needs Firaga either from Ifrit esper or the 3* Vivi TMR materia. Give everyone some wind resist gear for the tornado. On Turn 4, Raijin buffs his ATK before doing some AoE physicals which can really hurt your weaker units. I gave Squall 10,000 needles to use on Turn 4 to avoid it.