1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

NV Physalis vs. Demon Chimaera EXT | 13, 14, and 15 turn rotation guide | ft. Setzer!

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Sartre, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Sartre

Sartre Murder Bunny Enthusiast VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther...that is all...
    H7
    Alright, I finally finished it! ::ink::

My apologies for this taking so long, but I wanted to make this guide as helpful as possible (that and I can sometimes be a bit of a perfectionist with things like this ::happy::). This is the smoothest and most consistent rotation that I worked out against Chimaera using Setzer, Charlotte, Relm, and Rivera as my support units. I used a wide variety of Physalis friend units and was able to clear it in 15 turns or less with almost all of them as long as they were built for the trial. Those friends that were much stronger than mine I was able to do 13 turns pretty easily (if I had tried some risky business could have probably done 12?), but even with friends that were weaker than my own I was able to do 14 or 15 turns so if you have this team then you too can slay a Chimaera ::up::

Huge thanks to all the Physalis friends that I used out there and to everyone that contributed in some way in the Team Help thread:
    @Shr @Blizzaga @RamenRan @DrNooooo @GL_Shane @PrezObama @MikePro @liddokun

And thanks to our featured contributors:
    @YHEsys (13 turn clear)
    @RaagisEd (14 turn supplemental)
    @Pristan (15 turn supplemental)

I discuss my team at the beginning and then give turn-by-turn instructions throughout, but I'll also add a written section to this post a little later (just for you @Eynskaet ;)).

Setzer - Here for the field effect, ofc, but he is also handy as a chainer with Relm and his chaining skill comes with a chance to inflict disease so he actually is a pretty awesome unit for this trial! He even has some LB fill although, being a gambler, there is a lot of RNG in how much it will give (1-10 crysts per cast). I gave him a wind weapon and Itachi TMR which also inflicts disease just for extra insurance, but it's not necessary. He has Rage Beasts Roar to dispel the accuracy debuff on himself and Relm without dispelling the whole team. I gave him Manufactured Nethicite (I have two) but I know this can be a bone of contention for those that don't have it. My recommendation, if you have only one is to give it to him, but if you have none then I can only suggest Dethroned Heroine Ashe's STMR since it comes with a sealing skill attached.

Relm - Here for the rod imperil, ofc. She also is responsible for keeping Physalis's LB gauge filled as frequently as possible. She is my evasion unit and is death resistant. I chose her for my provoke unit due to the MP drain, since her MP refresh doesn't use MP but rather deals fixed damage to herself. She doesn't require any form of nethicite, disease, reflect as she will be plenty busy with other things in this strategy. She is dual-wielding and has Gusty Attack materia to chain with Setzer.

Charlotte - Faisy is the better option here, but since I don't have her it's not an option for me. Built with 300/295% water/wind resist, nearly 30k HP and >2.3k SPR...she still died once. Now I wouldn't say you absolutely have to try to hit 300% to those elements, but I would shoot for 250% if you don't want to worry too much about her. She's really just here to tank, but I equipped a light-elemental staff so she can chain with Rivera in a pinch (seen in my 15 turn clear).

Rivera - The real MVP here. I've seen a lot of clears using Rivera, and for good reason. She not only turns a unit of choice into a cover/provoke tank (in my case it's Relm), but she hands out 50-75% magic beast killers on demand and heals and has a nice MP refresh. I gave my other manufactured Nethicite to her, but if you only have one nethicite then as I suggested above give it to Setzer and let Rivera be the dual-cast reflect unit. In practice, the d-cast reflect tactic might actually be more desirable since it lasts 3 turns as opposed to nethicite which only lasts the turn it is cast. This way Rivera can be free to do some of her more important skills rather than having to cast nethicite every turn. This strategy can still work without Rivera. I would suggest an evade cover tank like AWoL who can also use SR chains and also provide some side heals along the way.

Physalis - My Physalis is built for LB damage (my best mage VC is still SElena so I work with what I've got!) with 125/250% beast/demon killer in normal form and 280% LB dmg. Having a form of MP cost reduction such as Heliolite is helpful since she'll be Q-casting a lot in this form. In her Brave Shift she has 125/300% beast/demon killer and 300% LB damage. Her MAG sits at 4.2k/4.5k in NM/BS, so she's certainly not as powerful as some of the whale builds I've seen out there.

This is one of those trial where the killers really matter, and I think NV Sol's VC might be the winner here, since it makes it easy to hit the MAG cap and open up a lot of room for more killers. That's just my observation, tho.

Turn 1
    Physalis brave shifts and uses Magic Gunner Type > Load Limit Shot > Premium Moog Bullet

Setzer uses Second Chance > 2x Darts - Outer Ring

Charlotte brave shifts and uses Mischief Warding Shield > Rousing Command

Relm uses Would You Pose for a Portrait?

Rivera uses Watchful Ensemble (on Relm) > Chorus > Reverberation

Turn 2
    *the order is important here*

Rivera uses Rhapsody of the Wild on both Physalis and has a free 3rd action (I use Chorus)

Setzer uses 2x Outer Ring > My Life is a Chip in Your Pile!

Relm uses Gusty Attack

Physalis uses LB (I suggest starting Setzer and Relm first and then Physalis immediately after. This should ensure that her LB lands after the 25th hit in the chain to get the full 6x chain cap.)

Charlotte uses Knight's Voice > Sacred Slash

Turn 3
    Setzer and Relm repeat their chain as above. Physalis caps with LB. On this one you'll want to wait to start Physalis's LB since her normal form LB has a much shorter delay. I like to wait until I see the first hit of the chain and then set off Physalis.

Rivera uses Choir Solo (on Relm) > Extended Tension

Charlotte uses LB

Turn 4
    Relm uses Are You Still Standing? > 2x Masterpiece Sketch (with 50% general mit this should only deal 8000 damage to her so make sure she has at least this much HP in your build!)

Physalis uses Magic Ice Bullet > 3x Strongest Ice Shot

Setzer either casts 3x Outer Ring before Physalis goes if Chimaera is not diseased, otherwise he'll use 3x LB fill here.

Rivera uses Rhapsody of the Wild on both Physalis followed by Overture

Charlotte uses Knight's Command > Evil-Warding Shield

Turn 5
    Relm uses 2x Masterpiece Sketch

Setzer either casts 3x Outer Ring before Physalis goes if Chimaera is not diseased, otherwise he'll use 3x LB fill here.

Physalis uses Magic Gunner Type > Magic Ice Bullet > 2x Strongest Ice Shot

Rivera uses Overture > Chorus

Charlotte has a free turn to do whatever, except her LB (save that for next turn!)

Turn 6
    *order is important here*

Setzer uses Rage Beast's Roar on Relm

Rivera uses Watchful Ensemble (on Relm) > Reverberation

Charlotte uses LB

Physalis stays in normal form and uses Magic Ice Bullet > 3x Strongest Ice Shot (even though her Brave Shift is available here, we want to line up her limit burst with the turn after Relm activates the rod imperil so maximize the damage, so we wait on turn to brave shift).

Turn 7

Relm uses Would You Pose for a Portrait? > Masterpiece Sketch

Rivera uses Rhapsody of the Wild on both Physalis > Overture

Physalis brave shifts and uses Load Limit Shot > Premium Moog Bullet > Strongest Ice Shot > Magic Ice Bullet (since we get a free LB gauge the next two turns, it's better to put Magic Ice Bullet at the end to make sure that last hit is at the 6x chain cap.)

Charlotte uses Knight's Voice > Light of Grandsheldt

Setzer's actions here depend on how much HP Chimaera has at this point. In my 13 turn clear we pass the 50% HP threshold, so the heals come into play. If this is the case then Setzer will need to seal Chimaera.

After the 50% HP threshold there is a bit of RNG at play in deciding what actions Setzer and/or Rivera take, as they are the only units capable of sealing the heals in this strategy, so keep that in mind!

The rule that I learned here is: If Chimaera is inflicted with disease on a given turn then you do not have to seal it on that same turn. Even tho the disease carries over into your next turn, do not assume it will remain on Chimaera that turn. I've seen it last as long as two of Chimaera's turns, but it is far from a guarantee that it will last that long every time. So seal the heal unless you inflicted it with disease on that turn!

Turn 8

Relm uses Gusty Attack

Physalis uses LB (pretty much identical to Turn 2)

Charlotte uses LB

Rivera uses Choir Solo (on Relm) > Extended Tension

Turn 9
    Physalis uses Magic Gunner Type > Magic Ice Bullet > 2x Strongest Ice Shot

Setzer either seals or inflicts disease

Relm uses 3x Masterpiece Sketch

Charlotte uses Knight's Command > Evil-Warding Shield

Rivera uses Rhapsody of the Wild on both Physalis followed by Overture

Turn 10

Relm uses Gusty Attack

Physalis caps with LB (pretty much identical to Turn 3)

Charlotte uses LB

Rivera seals or reflects

Turn 11
    Physalis uses Magic Ice Bullet > 3x Strongest Ice Shot

Setzer seals

Rivera uses Watchful Ensemble (on Relm) > Reverberation

Charlotte has a free turn to do what she wants. Her Brave Shift is now available so you can use that to access her better demon mitigations and 75% general mitigation here if you're concerned about her survival.

Turn 12
    Charlotte uses Knight's Voice > Light of Grandshelt (if in BS form use Sacred Strike, instead)

Relm uses Are You Still Standing? > 2x Masterpiece Sketch (if Chimaera still has 20%-30% HP at this point, then don't use her CD skill, just use 3x Masterpiece Sketch!)

Setzer uses Second Chance > 2x Darts - Outer Ring

Rivera either seals/reflects or uses Rhapsody of the Wild on both Physalis followed by Overture

Physalis uses Magic Ice Shot > 3x Strongest Ice Shot

Turn 13
    What happens from here on out largely depends on how much HP Chimaera has left at this point! If it's only at ~5% then congratulations you can just chain it death! Don't forget to summon an esper before you kill it! Otherwise, continue to follow the full 15-turn rotation.

Physalis brave shifts and uses Load Limit Shot > Magic Gunner Type > 2x Strongest Ice Shot

Setzer seals or inflicts disease

Charlotte uses her LB

Rivera either seals/reflects or uses Choir Solo (on Relm) > Overture

Relm uses Would You Pose for a Portrait?

Turn 14

Relm uses Gusty Attack

Physalis uses LB (Identical actions to turns 2 and 8)

Rivera either seals/reflects or uses Choir Solo (on Relm) > Overture

Charlotte guards (it is vital that she survives to Turn 15 for the final LB)

Turn 15
    Relm uses Are You Still Standing? > 2x Masterpiece Sketch

Setzer summons an esper (if you haven't already)

Charlotte uses 2x Knight's Dawning Blade

Rivera uses 2x Acoustic Echo

Physalis caps with LB (the timing on this one can be tricky since Bolting Strike chains don't have nearly as long of a delay as SR chains. I suggest starting Charlotte/Rivera first followed immediately by Physalis to make sure you hit the chain cap, but if you're concerned about the timing you can start Physalis first to guarantee that she lands within the chain, it just might not hit the cap).

That's it! If you read this whole thing then you are a trooper XD I hope this helps someone out there, and feel free to comment below about anything I might have missed, or if you have any general questions about the strategy.

I hope this helps anyone that hasn't had a chance to clear it yet, especially those that don't have NV Terra (like me) for the field effect.

I've also been thinking a lot about a Red XIII clear and what that will look like. I'm really not interested in doing a full physical damage team clear that will almost certainly take 100+ turns. That just sounds like a lot of unfun, frankly. But I'm taking an idea from Esther's Moon Shot, and might build my Red with mag and use a fully loaded friend Christine to imbue him with Q-cast AZ chains. We'll see. I'll post a casting call for that one tomorrow, probably, so be on the lookout!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  2. Eynskaet

Eynskaet "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lots and lots
    Smooches. ;)::innocent::::rofl::

Sartre likes this.
  3. Sartre

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther...that is all...
    H7
    Updated with Team Comp and Turn-by-Turn for ya ::old:::-P

Eynskaet likes this.
  4. Eynskaet

Eynskaet "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lots and lots
    Much props. Only Shinryu 2, Antenolla 2, Shiva/Golem 2, Tonberry, Omega 2 (I think that's all) to get to on the way, lololololol(not). :cool:

Sartre likes this.
  5. Pristan

Pristan Exactly What It Says on the Tin VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Yay! I'm glad my Physalis was able to help. I was more than a little surprised to see her there.

I keep struggling to find a way to do this without some of the gear. For example, without manufactured nethecite, I feel like my options got super small very fast. You mentioned that you can swap Xon in for Relm to have the sealing move, but it's not just the imperil you lose, you also lose the MP battery. So on and so on.

Hillgigas209 and Sartre like this.
  6. YHEsys

YHEsys Ascended Member

200s
    I only got 1 Manufacted Nethicite, the unit couldn't do other moves other than sealing after 50% threhold.
    And I want the new Ashe stmr now
    https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Power_to_Destroy_Nethicite

Sartre likes this.
  7. iBuko

iBuko “Common sense is not that common” VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    868 418 572
    Nice clear. Well done

FYI @YHEsys has the best Physalis EVER

still working on my Eldryn one: 16turns so far. :/

Sartre likes this.
  8. Sartre

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther...that is all...
    H7
    Your Physalis was quite good, actually. Even tho i used yours in the 15 turn clear, i actually had to pump the brakes and did two turns with no damage just to set up the HP where i wanted it on turn 13. Yours would have definitely cleared it in 14 turns, maybe even 13!

As for the gear, the Nethicite requirement is a bitch, but try the double cast reflect method and see if that helps. Otherwise Ashe's STMR is really the only other option if you don't have any nethicite. It's a pretty shitty mechanic for this trial, imo, but that's how they get ya, amirite?

Anything else you're missing? I'm happy to offer more advice if needed.

Hillgigas209 likes this.
  9. Sartre

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther...that is all...
    H7
    Yeah, i have three of her and am tempted to UoC a 4th just to get it and do an example clear with it and no nethicite.

Thanks mate! Damn 16 turns, that hurts, but that's so close I'm sure you can shave off that last turn!

10. Pristan

Global ID:
    My issues have been the MP drain, the sealing, and limit fills. Basically lacking Relm and the nethecite means everything.

Sartre likes this.
  11. YHEsys

YHEsys Ascended Member

200s
    I didn't aware of the dc reflect method and also the possible duration of disease. (I have multi SBD Fina whip)

I used mine and @Shr 's Physalis and still only did a 13 turns LOL. But I am not a person who likes to chase time attack as long as I can clear all missions.

Shr and Sartre like this.
  12. Sartre

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther...that is all...
    H7
    Yeah lacking Relm is gonna hurt on this one, i really don't know if Physalis can do it in 15 turns without her. Do you have 18 UoC lying around? I spent UoCs on her without hesitation, she's a good unit to have not just for this trial but any trial with mages.

I actually think i prefee the dc reflect method since it lasts 3 turns (or until used) so you dont have to cast it every turn if chimaera remains diseased.

13. Pristan

Global ID:
    Yeah, I've got 18. Or you know... 7 times that.
    I've been hesitant because I keep on having to fight the builder about rods over thrown weapons. I spent a lot of effort trying to get Locke to work. It made some sense.... He has a SR triple cast like Setzer and an on demand thrown imperil. He's easy to make an evader, although he only provokes and so still needs Rivera to cover. But he's got MP issues and the drain just makes it worse. And Faisy has an MP battery, but not big enough to handle this drain...
    Doesn't help that I really disliked Relm and Strago in FF6, but I may have to bite the bullet here. Heck, I technically could get another couple Ashe for the STMR too.

Sartre and Eynskaet like this.
  14. Sartre

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther...that is all...
    H7
    Rivera's MP refresh doesn't help either? Damn, didn't realize Locke was such an MP hog :-P if i had a Locke myself I'd give it a go to try and work out a solution for you but i was only blessed with Setzer XD

15. Pristan

Global ID:
    Locke uses 210 to 216 MP a turn and only has 816 total MP in my build. It's almost funny. But I think I need to decide that I need to be willing to buy Relm with UoC and save Locke for the some when there's less malarkey.

I am always loathed to spend UoC, because for example, I've pulled so few Charlotte that she is at BS+1 having only pulled her twice and one of those coming with a 50% STMR Moogle. Meanwhile, my first healer and first UoC (Myra) is sitting at 5 extra copies beyond STMR which is tied with Elephim for the most extras. They're just a huge sink for buyers remorse.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  16. RaagisEd

RaagisEd "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Varies
    :eek: (what are you having him do on that trial? Toxic rain is 60 MP 2xReflect = 50 mp, manufacted nethicite 50mp and his Float for 66 mp should stick for 4 turns)

17. Pristan

Global ID:
    He makes the chain for Physalis's LB turns with Setzer. So for example while Setzer does outer ring x2 and LB fill he does aqua x 2 and float.
    I know conventional wisdom is to just spend on the aqua once and have the dw double cast it on those turns but in my experience that is a guaranteed chain break. I don't know why but one person multicasting and one person using a dual weapon cast never works correctly for me ever. It's like everyone else is complaints about CWA in general which works just fine for me.

RaagisEd likes this.
  18. RaagisEd

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Varies
    Ah indeed, the support chains. Lets hope we get some sort of tag-equipment or other new feature so chaining isn't so annoying anymore. (I just did 2 LB turns, cleared in 14, but they do help the damage, finding 2 units to chain and keep the disease needed a bit too much of planning in the rotations)

You know this allready, but options are offcourse epuipping him with mp-refresh or mp-reduce equipments (Battle boots or Quistis SMTR)

19. Pristan

Global ID:
    Battle Boots! I forgot about those. I can move a few things around, since he needs the Safety Bit for Lethal Glare and is currently using a Colorful Lei for the other slot, but I'm not using Sea Dragon, so swaping the Lei for... Yeah. that's worth a try. Probably gets me more milage than the MP materia anyway.

Quistis's STMR is on Phys to try to help MP issues there. It drops me a little on the LB damage, but feels worth it to me.

Still, I think I'll wait to give it another try this weekend until after I screw up my courage enough to get Relm and her prism. Afterall, my Physalis can be build super on throwing weapons, but no one else's is built that way so I'm still loosing damage on that end. And it's a lot less fanaegling.

RaagisEd likes this.
  20. RaagisEd

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Varies
    For what its worth, I think Relm is UoC-worthy ;)

... but yeah i can also setup my (EX+1) physalis for throwing weapons if you like for a last attempt before or during screwing up courages