1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Old phone choices

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fletcha, Oct 1, 2019.

1. fletcha

fletcha ฅʕ•̫͡•ʔฅ . ʕʘˑ̫ʘʔ . ʕʘ‿ʘʔ . (´ᴥ`) VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh, Christine, VoL, Fry
    170?
    My iPhone 5s is about to kick the bucket. Had it for 4 yrs and I'm completely happy with it (well, except for not being able to read ffbe screen text on the 4in screen).

Being a bit of a Luddite and cheap bastard I'm considering buying either an iPhone 6 or Samsung G7. I can buy either for about $90 USD on swappa and they're both ~3 year old phone models.

Any opinions?

I'm mostly interested in camera quality, OK speed (remember I'm happy with my 5s), and battery life since ffbe sucks the juice out of phones. Battery life is one of my main concerns when buying a used phone. For anyone using these phones still, does your battery still last a while?

Eynskaet and Seven like this.
  2. Shr

Shr Arena Grand Champion Arena Grand Champion Spooky Arena Runner Up S3 VIP Supporter Monthly Arena Champ S2 Monthly Arena Champ S1

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yes
    Gunso
    I have a one plus 3T which is around 3 years old, battery is still fine. Totally fine for all my needs including ffbe. Camera is ok I think although I don't care about cameras so tbh my opinion could be wrong on that.

Decent phone that still gets updates and OS upgrades although it might be pricey for you even used for some reason (I see it in swappa for around $115 -$145)

Of course I bought mine new and have taken care of it and for used good your mileage might vary.

I will probably use it until it dies, if that ever happens as I don't like any of the new phones (too big and heavy for me)

I don't use iPhones enough to make a recommendation.

fletcha and Seven like this.
  3. Slyphy

Slyphy Member

Global ID:
    Honestly if you're looking to buy a phone for 90 another 10 for the one plus 3T is a no brainer, mine is still fast even after all this years being in use. Also to justify the extra 10-15 dollar's the one plus is going to outperform both the iphone6 and G7 and if you're planning to use it for more than 2 years but you spend those extra's why not?

fletcha, Seven and Shr like this.
  4. Manveru

Manveru "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    I'd recommend a Xiaomi but I can't vouch for their camera quality as it is not something I care about. Everything else is great though.

fletcha, Seven and asynchronmk2 like this.
  5. Arnatuile

Arnatuile "Let us not speak of them, but look, and pass." Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Hmmm, I don't have a suggestion on the phone, but it was my understanding that lapis don't get ported when moving from one OS to another. In other words, I think that if you log into FFBE on an android phone, your lapis count will be zero.

fletcha likes this.
  6. Absolem

Absolem "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    737 567 686
    Leads:
    Zeno, KM, Rerun, Circe, Gladio
    This. Don't let that force you to choose an iPhone but be sure to keep an Apple device just to use that Lapis.

Seven and Arnatuile like this.
  7. Kaladin

Kaladin "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Sophia or event
    That is true for PAID lapis. Your FREE lapis count should transfer just fine. (for example. if you buy the $99.99 lapis bundle, it includes 18,000 lapis total. 12,000 of it counts as PAID, the other 6000 is "free" since the bundle is listed as 12000+6000.)
    Any lapis you earn from story missions, etc. will transfer since it is "free" lapis.
    You can see the amounts of lapis you currently own by going into the SHOP, then clicking the button at the top called "Details of Lapis on Hand" ::up::

Arnatuile likes this.
  8. Arnatuile

Arnatuile "Let us not speak of them, but look, and pass." Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Hmm, ok, yeah, that makes sense, I was just not sure because I have never switched OS.

Kaladin likes this.
  9. Kaladin

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Sophia or event
    Technically, I haven't either but I remember reading about how that worked before. ;)

10. Kujo

Kujo Ascended Member

Global ID:
    About to kick the bucket, how? If it just needs a new battery, you can probably get that done for a fraction of the price of a new phone.

The battery life of a phone depends on how it was used. The lower you let your battery get, the more it gets damaged. (Look for "depth of discharge" curves for more details.) A two year old phone that never went below 90% will have a lot more battery left than a two year old phone that went to 0% every day. At least iOS has Settings->Battery->Battery Health now. My two-year old phone is still at 96% because I almost never let it get below 75%.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    fletcha likes this.
  11. Arkadi

Arkadi Ludicrous Speed! VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Something relevant for current events
    Sadly, this isn't how it works. ALL lapis from one OS to another does NOT transfer. I've logged into the Amazon version of the game and the Google Play version of the game on the same phone my lapis is all on one platform as long as I don't earn any on the other.

fletcha likes this.
  12. Kaladin

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Sophia or event
    Really? Oh, I thought that was the reasoning for separating the free from paid lapis.

13. Arkadi

Global ID:
    Leads:
    That must have been an old holdover from bygone eras as even though the lapis goes into the varying buckets (if you buy) it spends from the paid lapis first always and it doesn't seem to make any difference in effectiveness.

14. Kaladin

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Sophia or event
    Maybe it was an old thing. ::comeatme:: Thanks for clarifying the situation for us. ::up::

Arkadi likes this.
  15. fletcha

Global ID:
    Leads:
    170?
    Yep it's true and I hadn't thought of that sad fact. I can vouch since my lapis doesn't show up when I use an android emulator.

16. fletcha

Global ID:
    Leads:
    170?
    I know I can get a battery replaced at the mall for $30, but don't want to waste $30 if that's not the problem. I can talk to the guy and maybe he won't charge me if it doesn't work. It keeps restarting even at 95% battery charge when it's unplugged even for 5 minutes.

17. Arkadi

Global ID:
    Leads:
    I wouldn't recommend getting a battery replacement for an old phone as that's typically not the problem. Usually old phones get software updates to the OS that aren't built to accommodate them and that drains the battery quickly or preemptively shuts it down because it thinks the battery will run out soon (software not working under that hardware). That's what happens with my old Samsung S4 until I turned off everything except airplane mode and just use it as an expensive alarm now.

The same thing will likely happen if you get a little bit newer, but still old phone. More likely you want to get a new phone that's on the cheaper end, i.e. something like the Pixel 3A which is only semi-recently released and will get updates that are made to accept it for years to come. Plus it has solid hardware that will last those years so you won't have to buy a new phone every year and transfer all your data over and over.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    fletcha likes this.
  18. Kujo

Kujo Ascended Member

Global ID:
    If your theory is true, pretty sure that would be basis for a class action law suit.

Batteries are consumable parts, and weak batteries are absolutely typical in old phones. Even in your story, it sounds to me like the battery was the problem.

that is a way that old batteries behave, anyway. what does the phone think about the battery health?

19. Arkadi

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yeah, but I've gotten a new battery for my S4 (since they're removable on such an old phone) and it still does the same thing. Despite your thinking it's the battery, when in fact it still shuts off prematurely sometimes when at 95% unless plugged in. As for the theory, well, phone manufacturers want people to upgrade phones every 2-3 years and what better way to get people to do it than to make their phones still work, but work with issues that are annoying enough to make them consider upgrading?

20. Kujo

Kujo Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Well, a way that's actually legal would be better... https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tech/2015/12/31/apple-accused-crippling-old-phones/ for an example of precedent.

I'm not saying I know for 100% sure it's the battery, just that a) the battery is likely failing due to age b) a bad battery *can* result in that behavior.

I have two iPhone 6 (company and personal), and the one that saw heavy use started exhibiting almost that exact behavior (just only when it was cold), and the other one was still perfectly fine (even in the cold.)

As for your S4, there's several other pieces of hardware in the phone that could be responsible, but since there are good tools for S4 to a full reset to various updates, you can (if you cared) do the experiment of rolling it back to see if there's a "bug" in the new OS and the old OS still works fine with the old battery, or do a clean install of the new OS with the new battery (if that works well, then maybe the OS couldn't tell you had a new battery and was still defending against a crap battery.) I'd certainly expect the new OS was doing something differently from your description, but I'd be surprised if it was intentionally that power hungry as that would be bad on new devices too.