1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Poll: Tifa or Seph - Who Gets Your Lapis?

Discussion in 'Unit Discussion' started by Sartre, Jul 20, 2021 at 7:53 PM.

Tifa or Sephiroth?

This poll will close on Jul 27, 2021 at 7:53 PM.
  1. Tifa (putting the juicy double in DD since 1997)

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Sephiroth (giving you dis pear since...I don't actually know?)

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Both (whaling since long after it was cool)

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. Neither (poor since the days of yore)

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. Sartre

Sartre Murder Bunny Enthusiast VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther...that is all...
    H7
    Doing this just because it needs to be done and kinda surprised it hasn't been posted already...it hasn't, right? Am I that blind? I hope not...

Anyway, here we go cast your votes! Which of these Premium (i.e. overrated and overpriced) units are you going for? Tifa? Sephiroth? Both? Neither? Who cares? Gumpi is trash (inb4 @Talien can say it)?

Feel free to explain why you're chasing one or the other (or how much of a whale you are that you're going to get both to EX3 and rub it in all our faces :-P).

Personally I just don't have the lapis to pity even one of these units so I'm not chasing either of them, but I will throw all my tix (70 atm) at Tifa instead of Sephiroth.

My reasoning is somewhere around 99% out of love for the character (if you didn't realize this already I like strong, confident female characters ::happy::) with the other 0.9% having to do with the fact that these tickets are burning a hole in my pocket, and roughly 0.1% having to do with any kind of research into the unit's kit.

But I do want to take a moment to breakdown what these two units are all about for those that aren't quite sure what to make of them. In a nutshell they are nearly identical copies of one another but focusing on different elements (Tifa/water and Seph/dark). Let it be known this is all based on the JP kit info posted on the wiki!

Both units have a stacking LB in their Brave Shift form that starts at 200x and goes up to 350x from the 2nd LB onwards (locked to their respective elements, however can still be imbued with other elements, if advantageous to do so). This is, I'm afraid, the new meta. Stupidly high modifiers on LBs that take one or two stacks to get the real big bang.

The similarities don't stop there. Both units have a 1-use Grandis that gives them a 250% LB dmg buff, 50% amp to their respective element and a full LB gauge for that OTKO nuke you've been waiting for. Both units have a 25% weapon imperil to their respective weps (Tifa/fists vs. Seph/katana) attached to their LB that applies before the damage.

At least the killers are slightly different, eh? Tifa is a strange one, actually, with 100% human in both forms but 200% beast in NF and 200% machine in BS. Seph just has straight up 200% human/reaper killer in both forms.

Both units come with some nice TMR/STMRs with each one giving them 500 static ATK, and their VCs adding another 500 static ATK for 1500 ATK right there, not to mention the VCs have +125 ATK stats which get amplified by your attack passives!

Which leads me to the real difference between these two, and why you tend to hear a lot more about Sephiroth than you do Tifa.

Tifa is TDW with the 6x chain cap. Sephiroth is TDH with innate 5x chain cap. So right off the bat he will, on average, do the equivalent damage of a TDW unit with 6.5x chain cap, which Tifa cannot reach due to the hard limit on chain caps. Give Seph SoS Lightning STMR (or in a few months the CoW crown with the 100% chain cap increase) and you'll find he's dealing the equivalent damage of TDW unit with a 7.8x chain cap. That's a 30% increase in damage if all stats are equal between them.

But that's not all! Being a TDH unit means that 125 ATK on the VC gets juiced by 400% (TDH cap) over Tifa's 200% (TDW) Correction by @victor sant || Sephiroth also gets an event weapon, a 2h katana (1.3x avg variance), that adds another significant chunk of static ATK (500).

So in the end, Sephiroth beats Tifa handily in a vacuum. Ofc, we don't play this game in a vacuum, and I hate it when people try to push for one unit over another on this basis alone.

Now here's something really interesting:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/oocgw5/possible_avalanche_tifa_buff_forecasted/

As Dream states in the post this could be a simple error in the data, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Gumi buffed Tifa a bit knowing everything I've just told you up til now. Everyone in GL knows how OP Sephiroth is, but Gumi being Gumi will certainly want your money on the Tifa banner, so to coax your wallet out of your pocket I have no doubt they will try to put Tifa closer to even ground with Sephiroth (or at least try to make it appear that way).

Take all of this with a grain of salt. You do you. Pull or don't pull. Let me know what you think and feel free to express your joy and/or disdain for these units/banners.

If I got anything about the stats or kits wrong please feel free to correct me!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021 at 4:59 AM
    fletcha, Cylian, LurkerRamza and 3 others like this.
  2. hotaru251

hotaru251 "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    i'll prolyl toss tickets at both. im f2p and not a rank chaser (so i dont NEED either) i just like 7 casue childhood.

also if tifa does get those buffs it will help, but not by a ton and our villain still top dog. (as even few hundred extra atk likely wont match the variance from his katana)

Sartre likes this.
  3. DrNooooo

DrNooooo "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    I'm still deciding personally, I kind of wish I could get both of 'em honestly but high cost banners are gonna be high cost yo. I'm leaning towards Seph because I have more of his meta gear to use (SoS Lightning's STMR and NV Cloud's STMR), but I certainly wouldn't complain if I got Tifa on an off banner (Plus it'd give me an excuse to get another Madam Edel to STMR moogle her glove to let Tifa play around with anyways)

I don't mind their low amount of skills, on most DPS anyways you tend to only use the most powerful skills on 'em anyways tho I can understand how people would be mad about the skills. I'd be surprised if Gumi actually upgraded Tifa, but they have upgraded (Slightly, but still) a meta unit that was coming out in the past like War Hero Raegan iirc so that could happen. At the very least it'd let Tifa shine a bit brighter than she already is.

Sartre likes this.
  4. hotaru251

hotaru251 "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    also future-proof wise tifa is best choice as she has that sweet tmr

Scheich and Sartre like this.
  5. Shr

Shr Arena Grand Champion Arena Grand Champion Spooky Arena Runner Up S3 VIP Supporter Monthly Arena Champ S2 Monthly Arena Champ S1

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yes
    Gunso
    I wish I had the self control some people have hoarding tickets, i have zero atm::joy::

I honestly do not care about either unit but will probably pull both of them because you know....
    ::dolphin::
    And there is a certain pleasure in seeing big numbers on the screen::joy::

theJanne, Phinny, Backosteel and 5 others like this.
  6. Razgriz

Razgriz "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    GLS / Event / Event / DPFina / Raegen
    I just can't say no to Tifa, i can't ::rudecat4::

Backosteel and Sartre like this.
  7. Wdiggums

Wdiggums Complainer of the gacha random garbage! VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    depends on event and on request baybe
    I’ll be pulling somewhere probably ( but I too am about done xD )

Backosteel and Sartre like this.
  8. victor sant

victor sant "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    437 540 226
    Leads:
    2Best, Ibara, Tifa, S.Elena
    Sephiroth gets the lapis because I will have time to save more and since tifa will be already on the pool there is even a slim chance that she comes out when pulling.

The ATK on VC scales on base stats passive not EQP ATK passives, both will get the same base stats 400% on cap.

Sartre likes this.
  9. Sartre

Sartre Murder Bunny Enthusiast VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther...that is all...
    H7
    Ah good catch, brainfart on my part, will correct that asap! ::up::

Shr likes this.
  10. Xshock

Xshock Wait for NV Fryevia -s2- VIP

Don't have 60k lapis but i will pull for Sep anyway. Hope get at least one of him.

Sartre likes this.
  11. b3l14l

b3l14l 4|>|>|23/\/7|(3 70 7|-|3 5463 0|= (4/\/(3|2 VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Imma go for Seph. I don't have a decal of Tifa on the back window of my vehicle ;). Since I'm going to be spending super-sparingly on FFBE unless/until they get their shit together, I'm not going for +3 tho. Hell, may not even get +2 until shard dungeon. But my plan is to wait for Seph and hope to get Tifa along the way. I do have 60k set aside for the flowing, white-haired dude tho so he's guaranteed :D.

Sartre, Phinny and Wdiggums like this.
  12. Kaiser_Decimation

Kaiser_Decimation "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    295 801 115
    Leads:
    Sub Account Team 296 712 116
    I have over 70k lapis saved on each account and was going to go all-in for Sephiroth on both of them. Problem is the fact the pity has been raised to 60k is really putting me off as it would essentially bankrupt me :/

Might throw tickets at Tifa, but definitely cant max either initially unless im really lucky.

with NVA Tidus being super OP it seems, I think I'm covered for the water element which is my reason for taking Sephiroth

Plus I always liked him :)

It doesnt help ive been watching @Sinzar do all sorts of OTK videos with him ::joy::

Sartre and theJanne like this.
  13. Unpossible_1

Unpossible_1 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Eldryn, NV Terra, Sora, Ibara, Aerith
    Isn't the choice obvious?
    I'm going to use the Senturion Method to pull both from Dailies.
    ::doink::::doink::

Sartre, Jatabo, Scheich and 8 others like this.
  14. Sagranth

Sagranth "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter Monthly Arena Champ S1

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Madam,Event,Cecil,Galuf etc
    Will throw event tickets at both like i do since nv era started. And i guess i'll do daily 250s,but i dont have enough for the pity,so no step up.

Sartre, KylarHaern and Backosteel like this.
  15. PsychoHamster

PsychoHamster Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    W.Raegen/T.Physalis/Regina
    118k lapis saved, could technically get both but I dunno, most likely throwing tickets on Tifa and lapis on Seph.
    Want to have some stash if they release some really good support unit as those have longer lifespan.

Sartre likes this.
  16. Kaladin

Kaladin "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    And then quit? ::ink::::rofl::

Sartre, Wdiggums, Shr and 2 others like this.
  17. Unpossible_1

Unpossible_1 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Eldryn, NV Terra, Sora, Ibara, Aerith
    "Quit" ::kefka::

Sartre, Shr and Backosteel like this.
  18. thosewhofighton76

thosewhofighton76 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    4.1 reg 4.9 bs NV Vivi, 4k nv noctis
    So based of this post i take it Aerith is not worth it compared to these 2?

I will always prioritize my bae Tifa over another unit (unless they make ANOTHER variant of Dark fina).

Sartre likes this.
  19. Vetur

Vetur "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    CB Noctis, Lassgen, NV Phy, NV Luna
    Neither. Since I don't care for attempting to get higher than 20k ranking on DV, and I committed a lot of resources to Louise and Ling already, I'm going to be mostly CoW focused from now on. That's the only way I can be at all competitive these days (outside of actually buying Lapis, which I haven't done since the first Fountain).

Aerith is more or less free, but since EX2/3 skills are STILL not coming out anytime soon there's really no point to pulling for her. And I had been planning for her from the start just to make a king light team (alongside Noctis). Ah well.

Sartre and KylarHaern like this.
  20. KylarHaern

KylarHaern "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    BB Rem, WHR, ACC, Sol
    whatever happens - i hope to get them........but i'm losing interest TBH. I only have 15k lapis so i can't really get either of them if i wanted to and with Gumi purposefully reducing the amount of lapis we get there's no way i'll have enough to pity even 1

If I had a choice - I'd go with Seph this time. But even then you need his EX3 to be really worth it sooooo whatevs.

Sartre likes this.