1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Quick guide on brave ability enhancements

Discussion in 'General' started by daima, Aug 28, 2020.

1. daima

daima "Hall of Fame" Member

[​IMG]

As people wonders which brave abilities are worth to enhance, here are my thoughts on it :

In Bold, what you can upgrade without thinking twice (for me!). I'm mostly a DV player so take this list with that in mind. If you like the unit, feel free to upgrade anything you want, especially their highest mod skill.
    [​IMG]
    • Braver (RED) : his finishing skill. He can cap his own chain with two SR chain and braver at the end. Good if you use Cloud as a chainer with a dupe. Worse than LB finishing for DV purpose. You can leave it at lvl 1.
    • Focused Thrust (BLUE) : As said above, Cloud is as usual a LB finisher. Getting his LB faster is always good. Unlike Tifa, he cant use his normal form for LB fill rate and LB stones per turn. You can upgrade to +3 or +5 to be sure to get his LB fast.
    • Spinning Slash (GREEN) : his main damaging skill in BS. It's part of his rotation if you use him as a chainer. Lvl 1 is enough to clear everything with a well equipped Cloud. I dont recommend to level it for now. As Mikepro suggested, you could level it to 3 for the 120% imperil.
    [​IMG]
    • Meteor Crusher (WHITE) : her ST chaining skill. She can deal a bit more damage with Final Heaven if you upgrade promise with Cloud. If you use Tifa as a LB finisher, you dont need it.
    • Hot Fever (RED) : Overdrive gives 200% atk boost. This one 250% atk boost and concentration gives 300% but forces the water imbue. Good skill for DV if you dont wanna hit with water on Tifa. You can let it at lvl 1 if you can cap everything without. Mine is at lvl 5 for Bahamut on last DV.
    • Promise with Cloud (BLUE) : Normal form of Tifa is her bulk form while her BS is her damaging one. She can reach pretty high hp and defensive stats already when building her for bulk. She doesnt need the 3k more hp. It also increase the mod of her old skills that you wont certainly wont use ever again. You can keep it at level 1.
    • Concentration (WHITE) : yup +5.
    • Lessons for Life on the Ground Floor (VIOLET) : yup +5.
    [​IMG]
    • Astral Edge (GREEN) : rain has low MP and uses a lot of it. This skill helps to balance his MP consumption. I wouldnt level it as your other party members could help him with that (Rena's LB for example). Level it only if you cant manage his MP.
    • Rising Saber (YELLOW) : yup +5.
    • Ash Blade (WHITE) : his main damaging skill in Braveshift form. Level it only if you wanna use Rain as your SR chainer.
    [​IMG]
    • Dark Blade of Vengeance + (RED) : Skill that imperils, no need to level it as the imperil remains the same.
    • Shadowy Punishment (BLUE) : upgrade it to +3 if you need the +75% break for atk/def/mag (NO SPR !)
    • Heroic Aura (VIOLET) : slight increase in HP and boosts his old skills. Safe to leave it at lvl 1.
    • Blade of Carnage (GREEN) : His main damaging skill but locked to Dark. And he has low damage from chaining. Safe to leave it at lvl 1.
    • Leader of the Sworn Six (RED) : his best skill in braveshift as his LB is once again his main way to reach decent burst damage. He has also 100% passive killers for beasts, humans and dragons in braveshift form. Just remember he gonna fall pretty fast of the meta.
    [​IMG]
    • Tempest (VIOLET) : heals and chains CWA at the same time. The CWA is neutral so the damage gonna be low especially in healer form. I dont like it but there are maybe some scenarii where it's useful.
    • Lustrous Shield (YELLOW) : SS Charlotte has a 40% aoe magic mitigation on demand. The 5k hp barrier is not bad but barrier meta was never a thing...
    • Ray of judgment (BLUE) : pretty good for next DV to chain with kuja if you are lucky enough to get two of her without pulling. Summer Folka and Citra will chain with it too in the future.
    [​IMG]
    • Sonic Impact (RED) : his main SR chain.
    • Buster Slash (GREEN) : 63 mod with critical so 94,5 mod ! High mod skill but nobody to chain it with on DV for now as it chains with octaslash.
    • Promise with Tifa (WHITE) : nope.
    • Rushed strike (BLUE) : AMoE with low mod (64x) and some lb fill. Cloud has in his kit meteor burst that allows him to completely fill his LB two times in a row and two uses of it.
    • No more illusions (GREEN) : expensive for 50% more LB damage boost.
    [​IMG]
    • Killer rave (YELLOW) : good enough at +3 for the 150% killer buff for a xon to share. Beast (Cid brings 200%), Demon (Regina brings 200%), Reaper (Same as WHRaegen but easier to get).
    • High Speed Fang (VIOLET) : 50 mod and 10 self evade, spammable. Pretty good for some fights and trials like behemoth, the damage output wont be that great though. If you like to play safe, it's a good skill.
    • Planet's Wisdom (VIOLET) : nope. We still have a unenhanced RED XIII.
    • Howling Flame (YELLOW) : nope! Low SR mod (55x) and locked to fire.
    • Warrior's Cry (WHITE) : Braveshift available from turn 4. Works okay with the slow and steady strategy of high speed fang and maybe burst some tresholds with it. One thing to notice about Red XIII LB is it deals damage then does the imbue, imperil, atk buff. Hope you like the fire imbue for the following turns if you go in braveshift and didnt finish the fight with LB.
    [​IMG]
    • Reigning Blade - Nation Division (WHITE) : 53x mod with 300% atk boost spammable.
    • Destructive Blade - Glacial Fissure (BLUE) : 78,3x average mod at +5.
    • Disciplined Blade - Grave Result (VIOLET) : 62x mod locked on ice.
    [​IMG]
    • Burning Soul Edge (RED) : 60x mod with 6LB gauge per turn each cast. Main point of this skill is to have a neutral attack in braveshift. You could level it also to get his LB in braveshift faster for DV purpose.
    • Blade Flash - Revelation (VIOLET) : 98x mod with 120% fire and ice imperil. His main damaging skill in normal form. Remembers he has no imbue. So help him. For DV purpose, you also need it at lvl 5 for the 120% imperil.
    • Invested Training (GREEN) : as usual, his old skills are useless now.
    • Fatal Bloom+ (BLUE) : 96x mod locked on ice. Could be overlooked if you only use his braveshift form for his LB finish, maybe enhance star guide instead of this one if that's the case.
    • Star Guide (YELLOW) : atk+100%, lb gauge +12 per turn (the max you can get every turn). Seems great at first. Lasswell has already 220% bonus atk with his tmr/stmr. If you give a card like the one of Cloud or Akstar, it's another 100%, so 320% without any IW/items/materia. Could be overkill for most contents, could be clutched to put as much LB damage or killers as possible for a DV fight.
    [​IMG]
    • You noob, you lose (GREEN) : 110% physical/magical killers to humans. You can get 200% physical from reberta or supreme deva akstar. For magical, CP noctis brings 150%. So not worth it at first glance.
    • Hikikomori (YELLOW) : +5 to maintain the triple cast if you bring yoshi to long fights. For DV, you are fine at +2 or +3 as you want to burst on T3 or T4 most of the time.
    • Ninjutsu jakuten (GREEN) : 110% physical/magical killers to machines. Regina brings 200% on physical for your Xon to share. Aileen gonna come with a 100% phys/magical killers too on NVA on another brave ability. The 110% magical killers against machine is unmatched.
    [​IMG]
    • Blade of Ruin (WHITE) : kinda not required when you have access to the omgwtfbbq Peerless Blade - Shield Crusher. It's her only break in braveshift so if you are bad at rotation, you could level it.
    • Blade of Devotion (YELLOW) : good skill in normal form, it gives the whopping 25x mod for twin blade dance in braveshift.
    • Bonds of knighthood (BLUE) : as usual, nope.
    • Twin Blade Dance (RED) : the mod of this skill is huge after blade of devotion and BS LB, going from 103 mod to 183 mod if the enemy is not killed before by the LB.
    • Wisdom of the Blue Moon (GREEN) : attack and killers. I take everything.
    [​IMG]
    • Revitalizing the Strike (GREEN) : her only SR chains. AOE SR is always good for arena to pair with Rain.
    • Gemini Blade (WHITE) : 170x mod hybrid BS chain after LB (and another gemini blade the turn before). Her main damaging skill in normal form. Profits from the 6x chain cap.
    • Crystal, Shine Bright (GREEN) : 181x mod hybrid light BS chain after LB. No 6x chain cap.
    • Crystal, Purify All (BLUE) : 181x mod hybrid water BS chain after LB. No 6x chain cap.
    [​IMG]
    • Gun Preparation : going from 35x mod to 50x mod is not worth any resources. It's still too low in NV meta.
    • Freedom Bullet - One Shot : 70x or 90x mod. Not great for finishing.
    • Sky Pirate's Chivalry : best part is +1000hp so nope !
    • Freedom Bullet - Rapid Shot : his main spammable BS chaining skill if you ever use him.
    • Sky Pirate's Marksmanship : 100% beast killer but balthier has low damage and finishing blow becomes a weak 80x mod after gun preparation.
    [​IMG]
    • Sentence : the sentence is nope.
    • Judge's Defense : this one is good.
    • Enrage : It's strong for a tank, it's bad for dealing real damages.
    [​IMG]
    • Sword fighter : okayish mod with some LB fills. He's a LB finisher (like every NV...). Could be worth it if you use him. Also can be used in both normal and BS. If you have one skill you wanna up on firion, up this one.
    • Blood Weapon : his main damaging skill in normal form.
    • Rebellion against Empire : Single hit finishing skill that boosts others for two turns. Chances are if you are going in BS is to finish the bad guy with LB with a well placed arrow. You can skip it.
    [​IMG]
    • Kneel before me : 75% spr break is good on a mage when you cant bring a dedicated breaker.
    • Red Soul : Fire from below is 85x mod on normal form after getting stacked. This one is 75x mod.
    • Conquesting Tyrant : As said above, fire from below is not worth the turns to stack it to gain a meager boost.
    • Barrier Bomb : Fire from below is 95x mod on BS when fully stacked. This one is a 78x mod but available from turn 1. And you gonna use LB for dealing real fire damages with emperor anyway.
    • All You Hold Dear Shall be Mine : 200% human killers! Silly humans, die! Pretty good for that. It also boosts fire from below to a 95x mod after being fully stacked.
    [​IMG]
    • Tainted by darkness : AOE AMoE at 64x mod but locked on Dark. Gains a 25x mod boost on BS for the lack of 6x chain cap.
    • Dark corruption II : his main damaging skill in normal form. Strange thing is it imperils the turn after.
    • Ambition of the new emperor : as usual, nope.
    • Bloody Darkness : Tainted by darkness is a 89x mod on aoe usable on both form. This one is just a 91x mod with some hp regen. Not worth it.
    • Power of the Dark Knight : Absorb dark damage at lvl 5. This one could have been good at lvl 5 if you could stay in BS.
    [​IMG]
    • Piledriver+ : the imperil stays the same and on normal form, you have no way to double (unless DW but no 6x chain cap) or triplecast. On BS, you cant triple cast it. No way you level it+.
    • Revamped arms : good for magic killers if you have no yoshikiri. You have better ways with Xon to boost your physical machine killers and buffs. Remembers aileen has no double or triple cast on normal form. So no first turn with soul reactor, revamped arms, piledriver+.
    • Bond with jake : no dual/triple cast, no 6x chain cap, no damage.
    • Mantle Driver : just go lvl 2 for 150% LB damage. Dont go further. You cant triplecast it in BS form as her triple engineering only allows her to use only one selection of a skill per turn.
    • Expert Weapon engineer : okayish for earth LB finishing against stones/machines.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  2. Carnefix

Carnefix Moderator Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter German Moderator Arena Runner Up S2 Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    416 022 660
    Leads:
    Zeno, Esther, Circe, Cid
    VotD has an AoE 75% Atk/Mag/Def break with his Shadowy Punishment at +3. I could see this being useful since it also has SR frames.

Eynskaet, liddokun, BigNBald5 and 3 others like this.
  3. daima

Okay, update for veritas of the dark and was a bit less lazy :)

AustinValentine and Carnefix like this.
  4. Skye

Skye "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Regina, Aerith, Edel
    My version:

Tifa: upgrade everything

Cloud/Rain/VoD: skip

::=3::

bwnyc, Linkino, Nixilu and 8 others like this.
  5. Jerry

Jerry "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    NV, NVA, event
    Your guide is so much faster to read ;)

6. Danziger

Danziger VIP VIP

Global ID:
    If you care about DV, a second NV is kinda mandatory since Zenaida was the biggest troll of GL history.

But then again, you don't, so your version makes sense :)

Nixilu and EchoEchoPotato like this.
  7. hotaru251

hotaru251 "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    not really.

nv tifa's LB chain capping is more than enough.

and you can chain with non nv units.

also am i only1 the images are not showing for ?
    (assume has to do with the txt after the .png in the links)

8. Danziger

Danziger VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Not for Bahamut or future DVs. One NV won't be enough to cap every physical stage.

Weekendlover likes this.
  9. Jerry

Global ID:
    Leads:
    NV, NVA, event
    Nope, same here.

10. Xacques

Xacques "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reberta, VD, Tidus,Lila, Barba, Mateus
    100<x
    Why not upgrade cloud's braver?? Doesn't leveling it increases the modifiers???

11. daima

Yup it does. But if you dont use it at all, you dont need to level it.

Triple SR chain with focused thrust is 3 x 72 mod = 216 mod.
    Double SR chain with focused thrust with a braver at the end is 2 x 72 +100 = 244 mod. So an increase in 13% of damage on his chaining capabilities for a hefty amount of cites. I dont recommend it. And if you wanna cap something, use his LB.

You can level it, I just dont recommend it.

Images should be working now (was working on preview until I refreshed).

Xacques and hotaru251 like this.
  12. Absolem

Absolem "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    737 567 686
    Leads:
    Yun, A.Fryevia, Bartz, Gladio, others.
    Tifa was plenty enough for Bahamut this time.

About her, I skipped her Atk boosts as well, I bring Sylvie/Xon anyway, don't need it.

Skye likes this.
  13. Danziger

Danziger VIP VIP

Global ID:
    You mean enough to kill him in one shot. But not enough to cap his damage.

14. Ashlag

Ashlag Avoid political talk here, it's a landmine Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Great shit, I swear
    19x
    Not to cap. Unless you had an uber whale setup, I mean.

15. Jerry

Global ID:
    Leads:
    NV, NVA, event
    Yep, can see pictures now.

16. Matri

Matri "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    477 960 603
    I used Zen for Baha since I only had a 6* Zarg. I think I could have capped damage if I tried long enough, but I got to 1.8B and called it quite.

But yeah she probably didn't even see any action in DV for alot of people lol.

Danziger likes this.
  17. Danziger

Danziger VIP VIP

Global ID:
    I don't even want to know how bulky the next Bahamut will be. We're in NV meta now. 7* dps will barely scratch these new bosses.

18. Matri

Matri "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    477 960 603
    Oh for sure...Zen barely added like 300M damage to the 1.8B lol....

19. Danziger

Danziger VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Such a joke ::ink::

Good thing is tho I don't need to look at that shitty sprite again. I hate her sprite. ::rudecat10::

EchoEchoPotato likes this.
  20. Weekendlover

Weekendlover Well-Known Member

Zen has one the best sprites and unique animations in the game imo. Also one of the few poc in the game. Im sick of every unit being white.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020