1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Remove the counter limit on beryl.

Discussion in 'Unit Discussion' started by Arcmage22, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Arcmage22

Arcmage22 New Member

why does his shadow counter have a limit of 1 per turn on countering. Yet all other tanks don’t have such counter limits. Like wkn gets hit with magic he goes wild with counter dmg abilities. Merc ramza takes dmg he just starts spamming away.
    If ya don’t want to remove that counter then up the limit to like 5.
    I love beryl, but such a low counter atk limit is silly.

2. RaagisEd

RaagisEd "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Varies
    Beryl does a lot of things, but isn't the best in any of those, i'd say this suits him. He can counter, but he isn't an excellent counter tank like Wilhem or D. Rain.

3. Arcmage22

Arcmage22 New Member

I get that he isn’t the best at any specific think, but should still be more than just 1 time per turn. Like I said 5 would be more sense able number than just 1.
    Would also make more sense being as they just increased his chance to even counter in the first place.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  4. RaagisEd

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Varies
    Sounds like you have an opinion that is fine. But both counters have 100% change to trigger as long as beryl gets hit twice, so that is allready pretty solid. (The AoE heal would be broken if that didn't have a limit)

If you want him to counter to fill up LB crysts than equip him with https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Counter every hit from 3 upwards will have a 60% chance to trigger a counter. And i believe physical attacks generate more LB crysts, and maybe you can dualwield him for double the counters.

5. Arcmage22

Arcmage22 New Member

I said his shadow counter not his everyone’s hope counter. Which only procs on magic atk unless using his one taunt to provoke which isn’t something you’d normally do with a magic tank.

RaagisEd likes this.
  6. RaagisEd

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Varies
    Maybe i don't understand what you mean here. According to Wiki, Beryl has two counters both get triggered by both magical and physical damage and have a 50% chance that gets doubled by his/her/its increase counter chance 100%. If Beryl gets hit twice, both counters will trigger. (that is by the way because the 1x limit.)

Beryl also has two taunt abilities, increase chance of being targeted 100% for 3 turns. Why would you not use that on a magic tank normally? My shiny new cg Charlotte will be using her taunt abilty in future fights, i'm quite sure. Besides the magic tank part, Beryl can be made a very nice evade provoke tank, so that makes this a solid ability to use on him. (He won't counter as much tough, since he evades the physical damage)

Other than what is said before, i'm not sure i can help you out with getting Beryl with more counters. There are other counter materias/equipments. For example the Ring of the Lucii on him will increase evade and make him counter with a light magic counter. Or the Lightbringer (FFBE) sword has a chance to counter with Holy. Assasins dagger has a normal counter that will trigger guaranteed (2x60%) with a limit of 3x, and is a dagger that works well on Beryl. Maybe cg Jake's TMR to fill his/her/its LB. Or if you have it, Arngrim's TMR for a counter with multiple hits. And the Mechanical Heart materia, that will assist in further self-healing.

Everything that you equip on him will work twice as good because of the double counter chance passive.

7. Arcmage22

Arcmage22 New Member

I think your missing my point. Every other tank can counter any number of times with their counters built into their kit. While beryls heal counter called everyone’s hope would be pretty op. His shadow counter is literally a 1 hit counter yes 100%, but take wkn for example when he covers magic he literally goes bat crazy on his return fire with counters and same with merc ramza and basche. Don’t see why beryl is the only one limited in that area.
    Again might 100% vs the others roughly 50% but those others counters feel more like 80-90% they always counter too.
    Also about his taunt building him evade gives up quite a bit of his spr, hp, or elemental resistance. Plus if not evade he has extremely low physical defense.

RaagisEd likes this.
  8. RaagisEd

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Varies
    I also think this ;)

There are also tanks that do not counter, Seighard and Basch, probably others. WKN only counters on magic attacks, and is pretty useless in my opinion. m. Ramza has a 30% counter chance, Beryl with any equipment/materia will double that, and you can dualwield him with bowie knife or something to further double that.

Like it would on any other tank, but a lot less on Beryl because he allready has 30% evade to start with. Not that i promote using evade tanks, but Beryl might work out all right on the latest trial.

Also.
    I think i missed this one: https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Everyone's_Grudge

If you use his provoke, that skill, you'll get an additional max 5x counter on physical hits. That might be what you miss on him.

9. Arcmage22

Arcmage22 New Member

I dunno about useless wkn when geared as a mage still has over 15k hp and with bring it on mag clears 2.1k with def and spr clearing 1k on top of his 50% mag/pho’s dmg reductions that can be stacked with normal dmg reduction like what Aerith can use. Built as so he is still tanky and does really good counter dmg vs magic heavy bosses. For example against this current egg boss. He literally spams abilities like crazy. Only reason his counter spam is not good vs egg is because it is highly resistant to every element except lightning. Merc ramza feels nothing like 30% counter rate just sits there when physical covering and spams auto atk for ages. Which leads to quite a it more lb crystals.

10. RaagisEd

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Varies
    Yeah i must have misphrased that, i meant his counters on magic are useless. Unless you build him for MAG, but then is he still a tank? (Also for his mitigation, you'll have to use his provoke/taunt ability.) But then i'd get to try 25 units on that new trial, so i'm sure to find out how WKN will hold himself. And Beryl and probably any other magic or provoke tank i have ::ninja:: (First i have to redo the Lich trial, i beat it on turn 32 :()

Give Beryl the counter materia and dualwield and he will probably counter 4x more ;)

11. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lilith/Evt/Evt/Esther/Yuna
    Out of curiosity, why would lifting that limit make any difference? It's a single hitter with a very low dmg mod for a move scaling with SPR. Imo, to make use of that, either increasing the hit counts or significantly increase the mod would make more sense.

RaagisEd likes this.
  12. RaagisEd

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Varies
    I also don't see counters actually do damage, more usefull as LB/esper fillers. But since i still have Lich in my ffbe-equip, i calculated a Magic with SPR damage Beryl build on Lich phase 3. The counter does 64.000 damage. With buffs that could probably get closer to 75.000 which is 0.1% of his HP. If the counter had a 5x limit that would become 0.5% and you can kill that bastard with counters only in about 200 turns. It won't give the UoC ticket but you probably have no problem surviving, dont need a single DPS, so bring extra healers and support. Or even better, bring a friend Beryl and double up for a 100 turn kill of phase 3. (Not counting the turns in phase 1+2)

... argh i forgot the damage mitigations, that would probably add another 10-20 turns.

Earlier trials... Armor of oppression. His counter would do 1.700.000 damage, with his own 74% breaks and 150% buff that would be close to 11.700.000 damage, kill in 8 turns without bringin DPS ::ninja:: even less if you bring a friend Beryl.

aa25 likes this.
  13. RaagisEd

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Varies
    Small update slightly on topic. By now, i used both WKN and Beryl on the Egg trial, it was epic ::ninja::

The indeed WKN countered like a madman on a robotic moose. Damage was increadibly low though it did seem to give some LB crystals. My WKN had about 500 MAG and the Egg's SPR is 5000 so even with breaks i am not even going to calculate ::innocent::

And the attempt with Beryl, i equiped him/her/it with Mechanical heart, wow, little dude went healing himself for over a minute after every turn. But my team didn't need any healing, Rem's counter, Beryl's counter and i had the The Good Chamberlain equiped on Rem. Together with Sylvies Barrier ability it was easy.

Aside from that, i also used a full evade noctis and he recieved 0 damage, but he still triggered multiple counters. I didn't think that would work, but it does. So you can also use the Beryl as evade provoke tank and still benefit from his counters ::up:: (with a 5x limit + 1x shadow counter = 6x)

14. The Flash

The Flash Well-Known Member

With a good spr build, he’s aoe counter healing 5000 hp every turn

Anything more would be stupid broken