1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Scorn of the Intangir without mustache!

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Luffy, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Luffy

Luffy "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Hi again::toad::
    This is my second guide and I hope you like it.
    This trial is difficult especially because evade tanks doesn't work. I felt it was way harder than the iron guy. My main problem with this trial was making my provoker survive long enough to soak up all physical attacks. 5* base provokers are needed for this trial, but with some effort you can do it with your old WoL.

So why WoL?
    First, he has provoke and aoe cover which you may need if you want to buy some time to recover. Second, his provoke after enhancements last 3 turns; this allows you to guard increasing your chances of survival. Third, he has breaks which you may need at some point. And lastly, he has revive which may come in handy to help your healer.
    If you have another provoker with mitigation he will do the jop better, especially Barusa who also has aoe cover. VotE won't cut it for this one because his provoke deals damage and lasts only for 2 turns preventing you from guarding.

So here is the team I used:
    Warrior of Light 6★
    Right hand: Gigantaxe HP+15%, ATK+76
    Left hand: Asfales HP+10%, DEF+45, SPR+45
    Head: Grand Helm DEF+45, DEF+20%
    Body: Grand Armor HP+15%, DEF+72, SPR+28
    Accessory 1: Arsha's Talisman HP+20%, DEF+10%, SPR+10%
    Accessory 2: Jeweled Ring DEF+3
    Materia 1: H Armor Arts HP+30%, DEF+30%
    Materia 2: Patriotic Recall HP+30%, DEF+20%
    Materia 3: Patriotic Recall HP+30%, DEF+20%
    Materia 4: Resentment HP+30%
    Esper: Bahamut HP+64, MP+63, ATK+60, DEF+60, MAG+60, SPR+60
    Total: HP:12580, MP:293, ATK:296, DEF:579, MAG:216, SPR:334
    Geared for max hp*def with immunity toward disabling aliments. Put your best def stuff here.
    Basch 6★
    Right hand: Holy Wand ATK+16, SPR+120
    Left hand: Zodiac Escutcheon DEF+60, SPR+70
    Head: Hairpin of Purity DEF+10, MAG+24, SPR+51
    Body: Butler's Uniform HP+10%, DEF+21, SPR+38
    Accessory 1: Magistral Crest MAG+30%, SPR+30%
    Accessory 2: Germinas Boots HP+15%, DEF+5, SPR+5
    Materia 1: Staff Mastery SPR+50%
    Materia 2: Thirst for Survival HP+30%, SPR+30%
    Materia 3: Mechanical Heart HP+15%, SPR+15%
    Materia 4: Vengeful Wrath HP+20%
    Esper: Shiva HP+48, MP+69, ATK+32, DEF+36, MAG+64, SPR+64
    Total: HP:9558, MP:296, ATK:206, DEF:409, MAG:262, SPR:804
    Geared with maximum hp*spr with immunity toward disabling aliments. Use the best 3-turn magic aoe cover you have. Basch is especially useful here due to his breaks as some deal dmg and some doesn't. This helps alot in managing the fight.
    Lotus Mage Fina 6★
    Right hand: Arc Arcana ATK+8, MAG+68, SPR+68
    Left hand: Elven Staff HP+10%, ATK+6, SPR+64
    Head: Frozen Crown HP+500, DEF+16, SPR+50
    Body: Vestment of Mind DEF+40, SPR+35
    Accessory 1: Fina's Insignia MP+15%, DEF+3
    Accessory 2: Wind-up Garuda SPR+30
    Materia 1: Dual Wield
    Materia 2: Great Mage's Chant HP+15%, MP+15%, SPR+15%
    Materia 3: Adventurer V ATK+40%, DEF+40%, MAG+40%, SPR+40%
    Materia 4: Hat Arts MAG+30%, SPR+30%
    Esper: Carbuncle HP+33, MP+57, ATK+18, DEF+32, MAG+43, SPR+60
    Total: HP:6654, MP:531, ATK:230, DEF:292, MAG:453, SPR:799
    Any healer will work here as long as you have reraise. Gear for maximum spr*hp (secondary after your aoe cover tank) and don't forget to give her some mp refresh and immunity to disabling aliments.
    Xon 6★
    Right hand: Defender's Daggers ATK+12, MAG+68, SPR+35
    Head: Crown of the Covenant DEF+5, MAG+20%, SPR+20%
    Body: Apron Dress DEF+49, SPR+49
    Accessory 1: Pod 153 DEF+8, SPR+8
    Accessory 2: Ribbon MAG+5, SPR+5
    Materia 1: Mechanical Heart HP+15%, SPR+15%
    Materia 2: Vengeful Wrath HP+20%
    Materia 3: Vengeful Wrath HP+20%
    Esper: Siren HP+54, MP+61, ATK+40, DEF+45, MAG+59, SPR+59
    Total: HP:6914, MP:268, ATK:243, DEF:257, MAG:307, SPR:347
    Xon is very important and will have 2 roles: stealing boss buff and applying pod mitigation. If you don't have pod then Barusa tmr will do but with 10% less mitigation.
    Orlandeau 6★
    Right hand: Murasame+ ATK+111, MAG+14
    Left hand: Excalibur ATK+120
    Head: Dragoon Helmet ATK+40, DEF+28
    Body: Iron Colossus ATK+15, DEF+56
    Accessory 1: Demon Horn ATK+10%
    Accessory 2: Ribbon MAG+5, SPR+5
    Materia 1: Dual Wield
    Materia 2: Large Sword Mastery ATK+50%
    Materia 3: Katana Mastery ATK+50%
    Materia 4: Adventurer V ATK+40%, DEF+40%, MAG+40%, SPR+40%
    Esper: Ifrit HP+73, MP+43, ATK+75, DEF+48, MAG+36, SPR+36
    Total: HP:6089, MP:250, ATK:1041, DEF:342, MAG:265, SPR:239
    I used the old man here mainly because of his break, so any chainer with break will work. His break deals damage so u can apply it during deep sleep only.
    For the friend unit I recommend VotD since he has 20% damage mitigation buff which u can use in the free turn instead of doing nothing. I used Seph friend and didn't use general mitigation and it worked just fine. Seph will make your life easier with self-filling his lb. And don't forget to bring one with ribbon as getting stoned every 2 turns is not fun.

Items
    Luckily, there is no restrictions toward using items so bring phoenix down and mp recovery items.

Strategy
    The strategy is simple after you understand the boss rotation. It has three modes: drifting off, dozing off and in deep sleep. If it is drifting or dozing don't damage it or use lb because it will counter very hard. Instead use this turn to recover and set up. If you don't damage it or use lb then next turn it will be in deep sleep. On this turn you have 2 options: If you are ready you can damage it or use lb and it will use it's normal abilities next turn; and if you didn't recover fully then don't damge it or use lb and apply physical aoe cover. The next turn it will use two aoe physical attacks and will not use meteor.

So your rotation will be as follows:
    Drifting/dozing off: Heal your team and raise any dead units, apply provoke and aoe magic cover, use xon to apply pod mitigation and apply mitigation (if you use VotD)

In deep sleep: Make your provoker and magic cover tank guard, dual cast reraise on them, use Xon to steal boss buff (important during deep sleep since it covers all stats), break atk/mag with orlandu (important to use after xon, because xon also dispels. also remember this breaks deal dmg) and attack with your friend unit or use lb.
    If you are not fully recovered then use light is with us on your wol and apply reraise on him. The boss will use 2 aoe physical hits and will not hurt your other units.

Keep up with this strategy until you fill your esper bar and use 3 lb. After that start chaining with your oldman and friend unit and use basch or wol to break. They will die for sure if they are not guarding so make sure reraise is there. Also, during thresholds you don't need your wol to provoke so u can use him to break. It will go smoothly from here till you finish it off.

By using this strategy, my wol and sometimes basch as well didn't die when guarding and when they die, reraise is always there to return things to normal.

In short, WoL can hold his own in this trial, but he needs the following: boss atk broken by 40% (used non-enhanced old man, but u might need more than this depending on how bulky is your wol), guarding, 40% physical dmg mitigation from pod and 200 def buff from Xon. VotD 20% mitigation will help both your tanks, but I didn't use it.

Good luck and happy bull hunting::rudecat11::

matt_b, Tamamo05, Fencat and 2 others like this.
  2. Dikz

Dikz Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Noctis
    Or you could just equip xon with dual cast and phoenix. Then bring alongside 2 chainer. Hide > dual cast raise > hide + chain > dual cast raise and so on

3. Carnefix

Carnefix Newsl0rd Staff Member Moderator Arena Runner Up S2 VIP Supporter German Moderator Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    416 022 660
    Leads:
    TDH Hyoh, Nyx, Tidus
    I like how detailed you wrote this guide and described each role of the unit including the builds. ::up::
    Do you mind if I add this to the guides section of the news thread?

That would be too easy. It is more fun to go in with the usual team and beat it the regular way. :)

Tamamo05 and Luffy like this.
  4. Luffy

Global ID:
    Of course you can put it wherever you want ^^

Carnefix likes this.
  5. Luffy

Global ID:
    I remember cheesing Gilgamesh and Marlboro and I don't feel satisfied. I especially want to redo Marlboro without spamming rikku reraise::thonk::

6. Galahad

Galahad Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    eAileen, eEmperor
    What about status ailment? I give Jade moon pendant for my healer, cause my mystea always death. She live just to use cover mag skill

7. Xshock

Xshock Ascended Member

I could 2 turn KO the boss without any mission and come back with Xon strategy for all mission. For me Xon or any evade , hide , jump strategy, reraise strategy or normal strategy is same why so care about cheesing or not , both of it is abilities in game and finally it help you pass the trial. Only time i really cheesing is in Maxwell trial , i have to close app every four turn to ignore her "endless" ability.

Luffy likes this.
  8. riquemg

riquemg "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Leads:
    Tidus
    I love the versatility of this game. My team:

Screenshot_20180627-103509.jpg

matt_b and Luffy like this.
  9. Luffy

Global ID:
    They are all immune to paralysis, confusion, sleep and petrify. Orlandu got ribbon so no blind issues.
    It is fine if your magic cover dies every turn because there is only one magic ability and reraise will take care of this problem. The real problem is with the provoke tank. If he dies then the boss will turn to your other units and kill many of them because there are many physical attacks and you need to make sure your tank takes them all before dying.

10. Luffy

Global ID:
    I guess it is for the challenge and satisfaction. Some people even try to beat trials again with 3 or 4* units. A trial should be difficult and challenging. If it is not, then it is not a trial!

Scheich likes this.
  11. Fencat

Fencat Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh, TT
    Great comprehensive guide, thank you for sharing, keep it up!

My team, for other setup ideas:
    [​IMG]
    Everyone had all the needed ailment resists, that was the hardest part to gear for for me tbh.

Luffy likes this.
  12. Scheich

Scheich Ascended Member Supporter

Leads:
    Event / Trial Units
    But to be fair. All current trials are only challenging if u don’t use your normal 5* team. I don’t have that many 5* or tmrs, but even I could beat all up till now. Even Bennu, who I rank with Malboro. But I know what u mean. Did older trials where I had esper achievement missing. Was fun to redo.

Luffy likes this.
  13. Rynal

Rynal CG Charlotte plzzz VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Awakened Rain
    Satisfaction is my answer to this.. I cheesed Aigaion with Zarg Berserk bug and it was disgusting.. while hide strategy is not cheesing as you have said there is no satisfaction on it for me at the very least.. People have different views on this, do what you want depending on your goals.. If one player's aim is to simply clear a trial for the reward and using those strategies are what will make them achieve their goal then there is no problem in that..

My goal is finish all these challenges with much satisfaction and to avoid such this disgust that I have cheesing Aigaion back then so I avoid these easy strategies.. Again depends on ones goals and style of play

Luffy likes this.
  14. Tamamo05

Tamamo05 Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    E.Tidus, 2B, CG Sakura, Barb
    Done!
    End up using tidus and have an easier time on MP coz using blitz mania can be cast in their down time.

My team is mostly *5 though.
    Ayaka, Xon, CG Lid, WoL, Tidus x2

With guard, pod protection, stolen buff and CG lid 60% atk break, even awakening anger does not hurt that much

Luffy likes this.
  15. Balthier

Balthier Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    eTranceTerra/dwTidus
    I did it with VotE...

Luffy likes this.