1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

semi serious thing about emulation

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Consarn, Feb 13, 2020.

is emulation a crime?

1. punishable by death

7.7%
  2. punishable by 70+ years in jail

7.7%
  3. no (the wrong answer)

84.6%
  1. Consarn

Consarn certified non-furry VIP Supporter

Leads:
    ultraviolent, windswept
    i don't think there's much going on with emulation right now. i mean, it's out of nintendo's control, so at this point the emulators' side basically won. but i have an opinion and i wanna say it, goddammit

starting with the problems the Boys seem to have with it, and what i think about them

• emulation is/encourages piracy: one of the few arguments to not be completely wrong. thanks to emulation, it's been possible to get past many game breaking drms, and even make some games playable, which means people are discouraged to buy games with game breaking drms and unplayable messes. the definitely very few games (like, 80% of them) that don't have those problems can still be emulated, and obviously are. still, most people will buy them at any given chance.
    • it only hurts the sales: the second worst argument. using nintendo as an example, we have a lot of cult classics that sold pretty fuckin well when they released it, thanks to the only way to play them before being to emulate the shit out of them. examples include mother and earthbound, seiken densetsu 3 and not mother 3
    • just buy the consoles/games: the actual worst argument. hit me up if you're south american, and tell me if there are any official nintendo consoles or games around here, preferrably translated. the answer will most likely be no, and that's a problem. gaming companies aren't beyond completely ignoring parts of the world when it comes to their sales, which leaves a lot of people with no choice but to pirate or emulate the bloody things. plus, games aren't sold for the rest of eternity, so there's also the preservation thing
    • it's illegal: then please find a way to completely remove the need for emulators. maybe nintendo's servers can keep the hundreds of thousands of roms nice and clean
    • they might lead to the death of hardware development:
    • hacks fuck everyone else over: of course you can be an annoying tumor with things like aimbots or illegal ev's, but that's an easily avoidable problem that is either actively punished or not even taken beyond a single game
    • it's not fair use: unless you wanna charge people for your roms, it is

some things are just left under the rug for unexplained reasons

• those roms end up spawning original games: i don't need to say anything except sonic mania
    • mods and shit: remember pokémon uranium? the game that was starting to look good, but then nintendo shut them down for no good reason. it can't even be paranoia because you know how well pokémon and all the other big boy ips sell. mods, hacks and the such are basically completely legal
      plus most game devs (and hideki naganuma) actively support modding
    • translations: the reason mother (aka earthbound beginnings) sold so well was specifically because it was already emulated. the players were either new to the earthbound franchise and wanted to start with a more genuine way to play the first game, or long time fans who did play it before and wanted a more genuine way to- wait, didn't i already say that?
      also uhhhhhhhh mother 3
    • cool unused things: things like the unused version of the final boss in mother 3, the square root of a fish and arceus and mew wouldn't be as well known as they are if it wasn't for people deliberately fucking with the roms
    • countries being ignored: i said it before and i'll say it again. pokémon go aside, there's basically no official nintendo shit around here, which leaves people with no choice but to emulate the bloody games. if those companies are gonna complain about people not buying their shit, then please make said shit available to purchase without learning another language and buying a plane ticket as well

and, obviously, the most important thing...

i think most people know this already, but 99% of all game creators absolutely need emulation at this point. hell, the games are technically emulated from the very beginning
    to make a console or game, you'll have to use pcs to do basically everything, from programming to bug testing, so getting rid of emulators would only fuck you over. and spawn more emulators and hate for your company
    at this point just think of emulation as a hydra
    cut its heads all you want, there will always be stronger, angrier heads coming up

also the snes classic and its many ripoffs are literally just emulators, so they'd just end up being hypocrites

also i heard some people thought the best thing to do about the preservation thing was to keep the games running on their respective consoles in a museum or something, which is the absolute worst solution they could possibly think of, because it defeats the entire purpose of a game

tl;dr: removing emulation would be a big oopsie if it was still possible

2. SlightlyDubious

SlightlyDubious A Wild Dubs Appears! Spooky Chocobro Valkyrie Æsir VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Whatchu need?
    Why is "punishable by being smothered in mayonaise, topped with breadcrumbs then left for the seagulls" not an option in that poll? ::raegen::

Skye, Ranzo, Shr and 2 others like this.
  3. TheKillingJoke

TheKillingJoke old man VIP

Global ID:
    833 586 843
    Leads:
    Rab Event Event Karten XWQL
    Emulation is a thing. It won't go away. Like all these little things happening to an aging body. People have to accept and live with it.

Skye likes this.
  4. hotaru251

hotaru251 "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    TBH my view on emulation:

Is w/e your emulating free? then no harm.

Do you own a device it can be played on already but want to play it on pc? No harm since u own everything needed already.
    (as long as u own game too ofc as piracy is not a good thing)

Long as you don't cheat w/e makes u happy.

I own my wii u and still prefer playing my BOTW game on my PC due to how much better visually/performance it plays than even on the native console.

5. Nohbdy

Nohbdy Keeper of Final Fantasy VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Who do you need?
    I'm pretty sure emulation is not a crime...

What the actual crime is; Not buying a version of the game and creating your own ROM, I.E. IP Infringement.

Emulators and the act of using them exists in a legal loophole because current law is not set up to deal specifically with it.

Solution? Game Developers and Console makers need to recognise that there is a demand and facilitate legal use.

Would you download an official app/program and pay .99 - 2.00 each for a 20-30 year old games that you enjoyed as a kid/adult?

SlightlyDubious likes this.
  6. SlightlyDubious

SlightlyDubious A Wild Dubs Appears! Spooky Chocobro Valkyrie Æsir VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Whatchu need?
    Abso-friggin-lutely.

7. Talien

Talien Element resistl0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    130/200 all resist SS Charlotte
    Emulation and rom hacking are to this day the only way to play a lot of SNES era games in any language other than Japanese because they were never released outside of Japan.

8. Consarn

Leads:
    ultraviolent, windswept
    death in general
    that's included

when it comes to cheating, i only cheat after i finish a game, and even then it's only to fuck around with it
    the few exceptions are cheats to avoid certain game breaking things

to be honest, that's exactly what i want
    they complain about people not buying their games, but don't even make said games available

and also cool rom hacks like blazed glazed or super diagonal mario!!!!!!!!!!!!

and that one mother game

9. Consarn

Leads:
    ultraviolent, windswept
    i almost forgot
    that's really the biggest reason pc users have to emulate
    it's fun

plus, like
    if you don't own the games because you can't buy them (either for being too expensive, too far from your crib or just not being sold anymore), you don't have much of a choice

10. SlightlyDubious

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Whatchu need?
    Naaaaaah. Eventually you'd figure out a way to roll off the beach and into the water. You'd be fiiiiiiiiiiiiiine. ::rudecat11::

Ranzo and Shr like this.
  11. Keitoshi

Keitoshi Ascended Member

Leads:
    Fryevia, CgFina, CgLasswell, loren
    Classic prices- prices can get outragous on classic games over $100 on a lot of them, thats just n64 though. games that are out of marketed manufacturing circulation should be allowed if there are no new releases for that system and it has reached 10 years with no game releases or content.

Classics battery- carts were the main stream we cannot penalize bringing a cartridge game to pc for people to play as the games dont have much life left and the battery support is just not in the market. Plus they used a card reader that can easily get too damaged.

CD- never should a disk be up for emulation, except when it follows the classic rules above. Price is an issue for some like pokemon for gamecube raking around 50-175$ us for a game depending on disk and case conditions or even unopened.
    If its been around for 10-15 years let it happen or rerelease them to end the emulation need.

12. Consarn

Leads:
    ultraviolent, windswept
    pfft
    around here, a good game is about 250 (for a physical copy) or 80 (for a digital copy, though dynasty warriors is fine with more than 150)
    the prices for classic games here make earthbound's look reasonable

another thing anti-emulators casually ignore
    emulators don't need batteries at all

in my opinion, cd games should only be emulated once they're not sold anymore
    or if you can't get them without a plane ticket