1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Tanking 101 - How to use your awesome new barrier mage

Discussion in 'Guides' started by crazyturkey, Dec 3, 2017.

1. crazyturkey

crazyturkey Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: KM Bonus JP: Rinoa
    158 99
    After perusing the forum here and reddit, there seems to be confusion on how to tank properly given our units so far. This post is meant as a round the world "how" to tank instead of which numbers are better or what skills make X tank better than Y. If you get the mechanics correct, ANY tank will work (Ayaka can tank Malboro and Aigaion). Here goes:

Disclaimer: You CANNOT have AoE physical and magic cover active at the same time (the last skill overrides the previous one).

There are three types of attacks that bosses throw at your party. They are physical, magical, and hybrid. The attack type does not always correspond to the damage type dealt (i.e. Aigaion arm throws magical left hook that deals physical damage). These attacks can also be ST or AoE. Hybrid attacks are treated as physical attacks and can be physically evaded. The following are common scenarios and how to deal with each.

1. Boss deals massive AoE magic damage and also pummels your team with ST physical damage. This is pretty common as seen with Bloody Moon or the upcoming 3* espers. The best way to deal with this is a combination of Mystea and a dodge provoke tank. Mystea ignores the physical damage which is absorbed by your choice of provoker. A budget evade provoker is Chizuru who can easily reach 100% dodge with upgraded Molt+2 and 85% provoke with equip L shield materia and Ariana flotation device (100% provoke if you have Iris' TM). Make sure Mystea has revive since she will probably die with each threshold magic nuke. Bonus if the boss' magic is elemental and you can equip Mystea with over 100% resistance in the specific element.

2. Boss deals massive AoE physical damage and also ST magic damage. In this case, you can use iNichol and evade tank or a dodge cover tank if you have enough dodge gear. Also bring a provoke tank like Snow to soak up the magic damage while you ensure he is equipped with the proper elemental resistances for the fight.

3. Boss deals heavy AoE magic AND AoE physical damage. This is the hardest type of boss to fight but there are usually cues on when the boss will nuke your party (i.e. thresholds). To counter this, you can bring Rikku to reraise on thresholds or you can bring Mystea and Sara/iNichol along with a provoke tank. For most thresholds, even if a boss uses both magic and physical AoE, it is limited to one of each followed by normal attacks. In this case, you want Mystea to cover AoE magic damage while Sara or iNichol buffs your party with AoE physical evade. The optional provoke tank is there to soak up the extra ST hits that the boss will inflict on your party (not required).

The only unit that you must have is Mystea. Everyone else is interchangeable and expendable from a mechanics point of view. Anyone can now be a provoke tank with Iris shield and Golem (or Ariana flotation device if you don't have Iris). Anyone can be a physical AoE tank with iNichol (Charlotte, EV, and WoL are the normal cover tanks if you don't have an iNichol).

There's also the question of how to BiS Mystea. THERE IS NO ONE BiS. As a magic tank, her gear changes for each battle unlike the physical tanks who mainly concentrated on HP and DEF/SPR. While these stats are important, even more essential is being resistant to the proper element thrown by the boss. For example, 3* Ifrit does massive fire to your party along with reduce everyone's fire resistance by 100%! To fight him, you'll need Mystea equipped with Thermal Suit, Equip L Shield, Dragon Shield, Ifrit, and have someone cast barfiraga. This equals 200% resistance which is reduced to 100% after Ifrit's fire attack (making her immune and an impenetrable wall to its attacks).

One final tip: Always have reraise on your magic tank. She is squishy and if she dies without reraise, you're fucked the next turn even if you raise her immediately (AoE cover won't be active).

Edit: Provoke is out of 100%. If your unit has Tetra equipped or innate camouflage, it will be a negative provoke percentage. Golem (70%) + Iris Shield (30%) = enemy will always target that unit without innate or esper camouflage. Ariana flotation device is 15% so it will be 85% provoke with Golem. This usually means 1 or 2 hits will land on an ally per turn (still manageable)

@Arnatuile please move this post to where you think it will help people the most ::up::

TLDR: Make sure you know the mechanics of the boss you are fighting and prepare accordingly. Mystea will carry your team if you give her the proper support and gear.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  2. Arnatuile

Arnatuile Romancing Sage Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Sticked because very useful and insightful. If you agree @crazyturkey, I will eventually move this thread to the "Guides" section, since it would fit nicely there. I can leave it here for now though, so that it gets more visibility :)

WolfsWind, Takumi Kuzuryu and drkelly like this.
  3. Sacerdos

Sacerdos Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Christine 926 mag :D
    Why Can't i have Mystea and Wilhelm just have a baby that can tank both :D

Khidir likes this.
  4. Arnatuile

In the first scenario pointed out in the OP, if you don't have a dodge tank, you can definitely use someone with high DEF and/or HP (and 100% provoke) to soak up the ST physical damage. Wilhelm would work wonders of course, same with Cagnazzo and EV even. The idea with a dodge tank is that you don't need to worry about how hard the physical hits are (and so whether your physical provoke tank will be able to take them or not).

@crazyturkey You should probably mention that Iris' TMR together with Golem's provoke gives anyone 100% draw attacks (in fact, your Chizuru should use Equip L shield plus Iris' TMR) :)

5. Talien

Talien Did not get Rayjacked VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    CG Fina, event characters
    Isn't that what Basch does? Granted we don't have him in GL yet and I don't play JP, but I've seen several people talking about him tanking phys and mag both.

6. Arnatuile

Yeah, he has both an AoE magic and an AoE physical cover skill, but only one will proc every turn at a time.

7. Sacerdos

Sacerdos Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Christine 926 mag :D
    But is Basch the child of Mystea and Wilhelm? lol

Still have not pulled Mystea either.. most have a high evasion :P

8. Rynal

Rynal Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Chow
    For case 3 rather than relying on rikku lb (yeah I'm a hater) just use Wilhelm/VoE lb on that threshold.. also Mistair+ VoE pretty much covers all 3 cases granted you have VoE on 100% evade or BiS defensive gear.. not to mention Mistair's own maxed LB..

9. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Well-Known Member

Very helpful thread. Great job, crazyturkey.

10. Cyrus85

Cyrus85 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Thanks.. This will help a lot of member here ::up::

11. Warrat

Warrat Ascended Member

Question - I understand that a single unit cannot have both covers active, but is it possible to have 2 units with opposing covers active? I would assume that whichever units procs 2nd would then override the first, but for a boss that does say an AoE magic attack on threshold, then switches to AoE/ST physical attacks, would both tanks proc to cover the 4 other units in succession?

12. fanya

fanya Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Onion Knight
    I've been saving tickets for Red Fina or Lila

As a F2p my tickets to pull at units are limited, is this a must have unit? I only have 50 tickets atm, should I be pulling at this banner for Mystea or is this one to let pass? and wait to pull at the above.

I have no Ayaka, Tilith, Whiliem etc. if it makes a difference.

13. Victor X

Victor X Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Onion Knight, Trance Terra, Basch...
    Dont let her pass, she is a MUST HAVE to make things easier...

fanya likes this.
  14. D-motron32

D-motron32 Well-Known Member

Well that sucks! Probably would be a bigtime break though.

15. Ferax

Ferax Be excellent to each other & party on dudes! VIP Supporter

Thanks man, this is a great rundown!

16. crazyturkey

crazyturkey Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: KM Bonus JP: Rinoa
    158 99
    You can't have 2x AoE covers active at one time since the game overrides the old cover with the new cover (even if one is physical and one is magical). However, provoke and covering are 2 different mechanics. This is why it is advisable to bring a provoker along with your AoE magic tank when the boss starts waylaying your team with ST physical attacks after the AoE magic nuke.

danacol and D-motron32 like this.
  17. Ferax

It’s a bummer that Mistair needs re-raise. I wish she was a little tankier HP-wise. For us non-Ayaka users, I feel like we’re going to continue to be forced to bring Rikku to every trial. Not that that’s any different than things are now, but still, just a little passive HP boost might make her a little more standalone.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    fffan and D-motron32 like this.
  18. fanya

fanya Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Onion Knight
    So I took your advice said f-it and ripped a 5k lapis because I figured well at least a guarenteed gold shot.

I got the duche. And 10 other blue. I almost cried.

So I figured well, I'll rip some tickets, she came on my first ticket rip.

Super stoked. Not sure how I'll use her yet, but at least I have her.

Now to find some LB pots.....................

Victor X and TokkiSan like this.
  19. Ferax

congrats man! She will serve you well for many future trials. Good Call grabbing her while her rate is up.

fanya likes this.
  20. EvenOdds

EvenOdds Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau/OK/Ayaka
    This was very informative, thank you~