1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

TL;DReview: Olberic

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Seven, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Seven

Seven Mildly Active Member VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    None; this may be a hard case to crack
    Disclaimer: Take my word with a pinch, or handful, of salt.

Olberic

5★ - 7★
    [​IMG]
    Role
    Provoker, Physical Cover, Physical Finisher

Introduction
    Wow, two reviews by Seven in a row? No way!

Yeah way! Today, it's going to be about Olberic, JP's most mediocre tank. But now that he's recieved some GL buffs, is he more worth pulling for, or is he edged out by Sieghard? And how does he stand against Warrior of Dawn Galuf?

For What I Fight
    Nowadays, it's gotten much harder to kill a tank, to the point where, in order to counteract this, bosses deal so much damage, deaths are guaranteed. So what really makes or breaks a tank is how effective their skills are.

Almost every tank has two skills:
    • Provoke and Mitigation
    • Physical or Magic Cover
    The exception currently being Basch, who rocks physical and magic cover. But because everyone has these skills, the difference isn't in these skills, but rather, what they have other than these skills. Sieghard gets breaks and mitigation, and Warrior of Dawn Galuf gets damage and mitigation.

Olberic gets damage and mitigation as well, but even then, looking closer at their kits, the differences are quite clear. If you'd like to skip to the comparison, see Hard Fight.

Defense Boost

So what exactly is so good about Olberic?

Let's start with stats. Olberic has the exact same HP and DEF as Galuf, so just slightly lower than Sieghard. He then gets a total possible 110% HP with 170% DEF with a shield and light armor, and his TMR or STMR. This is generally preferable to Sieghard's 90% HP and 130% DEF with a heavy shield and heavy armor, although strictly worse than Galuf's 100% HP and 150% DEF. In regards to equipment selection, a department Galuf is quite lacking in, Olberic has vastly superior equipment access.

Olberic also gets immunity to sleep, confuse, and petrify, which I'll briefly talk about soon, as well as regen, refresh, 50% autovoke, and a 60% chance to counter physical damage with 1 turn 40% mitigation.

With his TMR or STMR equipped, Olberic gets an additional 50% ATK and DEF, an auto 160% DEF and SPR buff below 40% HP, and a 100% chance to ignore 1 fatal damage above 1% HP. This massive boost to survival is pretty worth it, so get it! Especially since his TMR is one of the best tank abilities in the game, and even comes with resistance to paralyze. Meaning, once it's equipped...Olberic has resistance to all 4 dehabilitating ailments.

Now onto his active skills!

Stout Wall
    Luckily there aren't too many skills to cover. Speaking of cover...

Olberic starts out with Cover, a 75% chance of covering physical damage with 50% - 70% cover mitigation, lasting for a 5 whole turns. Provoke, a normal provoke with a relatively high 35% general mitigation, for, again, a whole 5 turns.

Those two are the bread and butter of every tank, but just having them isn't enough to make a good tank. Of course, having the longest cover and provoke does help, but what really matters is the rest of their kit. For Olberic, a lot of that is his DEF based finishing skills.

Level Slash deals 1 hit of AoE 300% DEF-based physical damage and self increases LB gauge by 2 - 4, nothing much there. Cross Strike deals 2 hits of ST 260% DEF-based physical damage and ST breaks ATK and DEF by 50%, just an emergency break.

Spearhead is where it starts to get good. It deals 30 hits of ST 420% (Kek) DEF-based physical damage, chaining with Aureole Ray. This gives him some chaining compatibility with Esther and Summer Fina & Lid.

Lastly, Thousand Spears deals 1 hit of ST 720% DEF-based physical damage. This is his strongest damaging skill, and quite easy to slot into a chain just to add a little more damage.

There's one last ability before his cooldowns, and that is Abide, which buffs his own ATK and DEF by 120% for 3 turns and increases his resistance to ATK and DEF breaks by 50% for 3 turns. Not particularly helpful, but, maybe a gamble is better than nothing.

Hard Fight is the first of Olberic's two cooldown abilities. On a 5 turn cooldown available turn 1, it self buffs DEF by 200% for 3 turns, self restores 240 MP over 3 turns, AoE increases wiind and earth resistance by 65% for 3 turns, and self enables Level Slash+, Cross Strike+, and Spearhead+ for 4 turns.

What do those do?

Level Slash+ deals 1 hit of AoE 600%-DEF based physical damage and self increases LB gauge by 6 - 8, which is generally a third of the way there. Useful for spamming when he has nothing else to do.

Cross Strike+ deals 2 hits of ST 520% DEF-based physical damage and ST breaks all stats by 60%.This is a great emergency break, and should be used as needed.

Spearhead+ deals 30 hits of AoE 670% DEF-based physical damage and AoE imperils wind and earth by 80%. This works well in conjunction with Sylvie, or, again, any units with Aureole Ray chains in general. Not only does it actually deal some damage, it offers pretty good imperils to two common elements, and either synergizes well with other units or gives chaining support to finishers with synergy with units he pairs well with.

Now, onto his second cooldown. Stout Wall, on an 8 turn cooldown available turn 1, self increases DEF by 200% for 5 turns, self restores 25000 HP over 5 turns, and self enables Cover+ for 6 turns.

Cover+ offers superior numbers to normal Cover. Instead of 75% chance of covering physical damage with 50% - 70% cover mitigation for 5 turns, it's an 80% chance of covering physical damage with 60% - 80% cover mitigation for 5 turns. You can maintain 100% uptime with it quite easily and if you don't take him to the brink of death every time, the backup heal along with side healing might be sufficient.

Last, but definitely not the least, any review on Olberic would be incomplete without his LB, Fallen Fortress.

Fallen Fortress
    at 7 star max, for 20 LB crystals, gives a 75% chance of covering physical damage with 50% - 70% cover mitigation for 3 turns to self and AoE 40% general mitigation. Essentially, a slightly nerfed, physical version of Sacred Shield Charlotte's LB. It's phenomenal, and if used sufficiently, you shouldn't die very often.

Hard Fight

Comparisons time!
    [​IMG]
    Olberic or Sieghard?
    • Olberic has better ailment resistance
    • Olberic doesn't have chance of randomly covering
    • Olberic has 100% guts above 1%
    • Olberic has 40% mitigation counter (i.e. permanent 40% mitigation)
    • Olberic has better provoke (i.e. doesn't run out in just 2 turns)
    • Olberic has better physical cover (i.e. doesn't run out in just 3 turns)
    • Olberic has better unlocked physical cover (i.e. doesn't run out in just 3 turns and higher mitigation)
    • Olberic has better damage
    • Olberic has better chaining (i.e. Aureole Ray instead of Free Energy and cooldown Piledriver)
    • Olberic has 200% DEF buffs on cooldowns available turn 1
    • Olberic has better breaks (i.e. 60% full break instead of 50% full break or 50% single stat break)
    • Olberic has cover and 40% mitigation on his LB
    • Both have similar equipment selections
    • Both have element resistance buffs
    • Both have 50% autovoke
    • Sieghard is best boi
    • Sieghard has better stats
    • Sieghard has 50% earth resistance
    • Sieghard has heal counters (i.e. auto-healing)
    • Sieghard has charm immunity
    • Sieghard has magic cover
    • Sieghard has mirage
    • Sieghard has self 90% physical mitigation
    • Sieghard has self 90% magic mitigation
    • Sieghard has 45% mitigation on his LB
    I think it's quite obvious that Sieghard wins because he is best boi...[​IMG]

However when it comes to actually using them, Olberic is better. While both have their advantages and disadvantages, and are usable under different circumstances or even together, the main issue with Sieghard is that he was made with a past meta in mind. Nowadays having easy access to mitigation is more valuable than having side magic cover, and using provoke to unlock a better cover can get in the way with dual tank setups.

Olberic has just as much or maybe more survivability
    except on one or two specific turns, but superior tanking moves, making this a pretty easy conclusion to come to.

Looking beyond tanking, however, we'll realize that even still, while debatable, Olberic has better support. While he lacks the OP counters that make Wilhelm, he does have 30 hit chaining skills to build up LBs, including his own, which gives an excellent 40% general mitigation to everyone.

Olberic wins.

[​IMG]

Olberic or Warrior of Dawn Galuf?
    • Olberic has a good sprite
    • Olberic has better equipment selection
    • Olberic has better ailment resistance
    • Olberic has 40% mitigation counter (i.e. permanent 40% mitigation)
    • Olberic has better provoke (i.e. doesn't run out in 4 turns, general mitigation)
    • Olberic has better physical cover (i.e. doesn't run out in 4 turns)
    • Olberic has better unlocked physical cover (i.e. not 6 turn cooldown so 100% uptime is possible)
    • Olberic has better damage (i.e. DEF-based instead of ATK-based)
    • Olberic has better chaining (i.e. Aureole Ray instead of Kingsglaive)
    • Olberic has better breaks (i.e. 60% full break instead 60% double stat break)
    • Olberic has cover and 40% mitigation on his LB
    • Both have 100% guts
    • Both have 200% DEF buffs
    • Both have element resistance buffs
    • Galuf has better stats
    • Galuf has 80% fire and light resistance
    • Galuf has 10% evasion
    • Galuf has 80% autovoke
    • Galuf has cover and 40% mitigation on cooldown available turn 1
    • Galuf has entrust
    • Galuf has W Ability for damage skills
    • Galuf has better imperils
    • Galuf has imbues
    • Galuf has 50% mitigation on LB
    This is the comparison, between two tanks built for this current meta. Both are perfectly usable, but under different circumstances, one might be better or worse.

Olberic is better for cover, as he has cover with mitigation, 100% uptime superior cover, etc. Galuf also has cover, and he has his turn 1 available cooldown, but turn 1 mitigation can be applied elsewhere.

However, if evasion is possible, then Galuf is straight-up better, since he has much better autovoke and even a bit of innate evasion. In fact, he's also simply superior when provoke comes into play, again due to high autovoke.

Olberic has great support, and while he is a great secondhand synergizer, meaning he works well with units that work well with finishers, Galuf himself can already imbue and imperil. It's very situational but as of now, Olberic is slightly better for damage support due to having very common chaining.

However, for LB support, the title again goes to Galuf because while both lack Wilhelm-esque counters, Galuf gets entrust.

Although there are many situations where Olberic is better, in general usage, Galuf wins.

[​IMG]

TL;DR
    Olberic is very good. Enough to beat Sieghard, as he is built for current and future content, and much more competitive with Galuf. While it's easy to overlook him for not having any absolutely amazing features or many functional niches, that's not to say he doesn't have anything. He's a simple, straightforward, unit, and I think that's respectable. Olberic is practical and his skills are almost exclusively useful, while others have many skills that might not ever get touched in some trials.

Of course, the selling point is the LB, but his long covers give him lots of breathing room and he has plenty of time to use the rest of his kit. Olberic is an efficient tank, period. Let's give him some global love and realize his potential is slightly less, if not just as much, as Galuf's, and that until Warrior of Light arrives, he's a serious contender for best physical tank.

Score
    8.5/10

'Ards,
    -
    S
    e
    v
    e
    n

P.S. Don't be surprised if I release another underdog review...but don't expect it. Guess who?

Enzo, Tamamo05, Cylian and 28 others like this.
  2. BigNBald5

BigNBald5 Smashing trials the bald way VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    open
    a very entertaining review my friend. Good job

Seven likes this.
  3. Marco Aurelio Vins

Marco Aurelio Vins Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Regina/Esther
    Good review, i actually read it and not just the TLDR ::blackmage::

Anyway, i don't know why but i really like him even if i didn't play Octopath
    Decided to pull and managed to get two of him (without spending my lapis stash), so i'm happy

For me the most important PRO:
    LB (but also that he doesn't have that ''cover random unit'' thing that i hate in Sieghard)
    Cons:
    He doesn't have the ''attack counter'' for LB cryst
    And he's limited...that's just a big con for any unit

Tamamo05 and Seven like this.
  4. UnAbleToChain

UnAbleToChain Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    178 283 744
    Japan ID:
    503 647 451
    Leads:
    Esther Sylvie
    ::blackmage:: got 1 copy from a random rare tix and thanks for the TMR.

I prefer my WOL. skipping galuf and olberic :D

Seven likes this.
  5. Skye

Skye Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Nyx, Regina, Loren, bonus
    Thank you for the review! ::up::

I'm still not pulling, because collab.

Seven likes this.
  6. Manveru

Manveru "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    I can't use the salt without the fries though.

Tamamo05, Cylian, 21er and 1 other person like this.
  7. iBuko

iBuko Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    868 418 572
    Leads:
    Esther, Regina, Zeno
    Very good review.
    Thank you for posting.

Atm I will stick with my Siegarth because I want to pull for WOL.

Keep the good work!

21er and Seven like this.
  8. Thorga

Thorga Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elena, Esther, Olberic
    Great review!
    Thanx for your (re)view, but now I have to rethink if I want to pull for him... Siegfart should be enough currently, but Olberic just looks awesome (and has also that sweet LB...)

Is that worth the resources?

::thonk::
    ::think::
    ::raegen::
    ::jake::

Maybe waiting for all the EX-tickets next week and hope for some luck... hehe... with gimu at the steering wheel... hehe... ::rudecat4::

Seven and Mcleod like this.
  9. Jianto

Jianto Well-Known Member Supporter

Sieghard is best boi ::joy::

10. Tanatos

Tanatos "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    838 612 439
    Japan ID:
    512 695 920
    Leads:
    CG Rain, Madam, Hein, CG Cecil, Fid
    >135
    Like u said, Galuf is good for estrust, cheap lb and easy to build a 100% evasion.
    Btw keep doing these reviews ::rudecat3::::rudecat17::

Tamamo05, Cylian and Seven like this.
  11. Arekusu

Arekusu VIP VIP

Olberic better be superior to a unit released over 6 months ago lol

12. Seven

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Well I mean Folka was released 7-8 months ago...still top of the meta...

._.

13. Jianto

Jianto Well-Known Member Supporter

That's because she got changes and buffed and also she's one of the best waifus as well ::jake::

Seven likes this.
  14. Misterdyox

Misterdyox Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    My Sieg just turned 7* I pretend I haven't read this ::rudecat11::

Tamamo05, Cylian, Seven and 1 other person like this.
  15. Raelf

Raelf "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Zeno, Regina
    If I get one, I'm waiting for his prism from trust shop. He's actually pretty nice IMO, an overall better tank than Sieghard (More breaks, covers, imperils). I think they'll make Galuf not Kingsglaive OR release Yun upgrades.

The only ACTUAL issue I have with Galuf is that sprite is just, no.

Redtide and Seven like this.
  16. Seven

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yeah I know Galuf is oof

Even the original character design...skin-tight black bodysuit with shoulder-width collar, gold trim, and red accents...just can't get behind it. Probably the worst one from FFV...

Now WoL on the other hand...beautiful color scheme, balanced design, original fantasy aesthetic, awesome effects...

Of course Sieghard is best boi tied with Wilhelm le moustache, but Galuf, no matter compared to who, is just a nope.

Thorga and Raelf like this.
  17. Shadowschild

Shadowschild Ascended Member

Sieghard wins because nobody shares limited units anymore. All paper crafting...gl getting stmr ..

Seven likes this.
  18. Arashi

Arashi Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elena, [Event] x2, Circe, Zeno
    I ended up pulling two of him, so glad he's very usable.

My one complaint about the review is that the yellow texted 'Esther' hurts my eyes ::crying::

Cylian likes this.
  19. h3pc4t

h3pc4t Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Zeno, Elly, Circe, Sieghard, Charlotte
    Thanks for the review! Difference IMO is not enough to spend limited lapis when I already have Sieg.

20. Phlucious

Phlucious Ascended Member

Global ID:
    310 905 590
    Leads:
    Esther; Event; LM Fina; SS Charlotte
    Thanks @Seven ! Always appreciate the reviews. You know, if you ever wanted to take up the mantle for the unit enhancement reviews and global upgrades, that’d fill a serious void in this community. I always read the reddit posts by Raiko but he went dark a couple batches ago. Just a thought.