1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

TLDR: Edel the Mole *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Arena & Quests' started by Person, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Person

Person Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Hello, all!

Madam time! I've been looking forward to Madam's release. I've found her, as a character, more interesting than most of the others in FFBE. Her story event dips into the background of Madam.

But is it skippable?

Chapter 1: Partnering Up
    Madam and Amber enter some ruins.
    On their travels, they hear whispering. The scene cuts away to someone hanging upside-down by a rope from their feet. While hanging, the person notes the walls are ancient prayers. Madam and Amber walk up, and the hanging man recognizes Madam as the famous adventurer. He states he's been looking for her, and asks Madam to let him down. After they let him down, Madam asks why he was hanging like that. He noted you needed to be upside-down to read the wall. He introduces himself as Almaz, and asks Madam to be his adventuring partner, which she declines. Almaz instead challenges Madam to a race to the treasure at the end of the ruins, which she accepts.

Chapter 2: Scrambling for the Treasure
    Madam and Amber enter a room, and it starts to fill up with poison mist. The poison starts to overtake them, but Almaz hits them with holy water to dispel the effects. Almaz recommends Madam and Amber to head back and purify themselves more, and he runs ahead. They take his advice and head back, despite Madam's frustration.
    They get to the deepest point and find Almaz at the treasure. He wins the race, and Madam lets him partner up.

Chapter 3: Almaz's True Intentions
    Almaz takes Madam to more ruins, which he calls The Departed Ruins (featuring Matt Damon and Leo DiCaprio). He says it's cursed, the walls are made out of the corpses of adventurers, rambles some more, Madam loses interest and just goes inside.
    Almaz asks if Madam's a dark elf, she replies she's half.
    Madam notes that Almaz doesn't look lost and asks why he needed her a partner. Before he can answer, a wall blows up, and a stranger enters. He introduces himself as Winkel, another treasure hunter. Almaz knows he's a plunderer and scolds him for blowing up the ruins. Winkel has a kill-on-sight policy, so Madam steps in to fight and punches him into oblivion. Winkel staggers in, stays the treasure is still his, and runs off. Almaz states that this is why he needs a partner.

Chapter 4: Depths of the Ruins
    Winkel warns Madam and Almaz not to go any further into the ruins, noting the skull placed outside the door. Almaz doesn't think it's a dangerous sign, and Madam notes there are eye sockets to place keys in. Almaz finds some gems which could work, noting this culture believed gems could bring people back from the dead. He finds alexandrite, which symbolizes the night and day cycle. Madam slams it into the skull, opening the door.
    At the end of the ruins is a field of flowers. Almaz sees the value in this, celebrating life. Winkel appears, complains there's no treasure, and warns Madam and Almaz not to mess with him. Almaz asks Madam if she's interested in another set of ruins.

Chapter 5: The Real Treasure
    Madam and Almaz enter a new set of ruins.
    After some time, Winkel walks up to them; they squabble. There are three ways to go, each with a trap. Madam suggests they split up, one person going each way.
    The three work together to disarm all the traps and reach the treasure. Almaz says that Winkel should take it all. Winkel refuses the treasure, saying the experience and excitement is what he wants. He then tries to court Madam, who stands by Almaz and says her hands are tied already.

Chapter 6: The Melancholy of Madam Edel
    Time passes, Madam and Almaz get married, eventually Almaz passes away.
    Amber walks into Madam alone in her room, thinking about Almaz. Amber suggests they go out.
    Madam notes that she's lost her spark since Almaz's passing.
    Amber takes Madam to Almaz's old room. Madam looks around and finds a treasure map with a letter from Almaz, saying it was a gift for her in his passing years. Madam reawakens her spirit, and goes off to adventure.

Chapter 7: Searching for Ruins
    In a village, a bandit attack is happening. Madam saves a little girl and suggests she comes with them.
    Madam, Amber, and the little girl arrive at the entrance to the Underground Ruins. When they discover they can't open the door, Madam decides to build a house on the ruins. On top of that, Madam names the girl after a stone that means rebirth... BUT THE SCREEN FADES AWAY OH MY GOD WHAT WAS HER NAME

Chaper 8: Soiree
    Some years later, Madam walks into her mansion. Lexa (for alexandrite... get it?) greets her, no longer the little girl from before. Later, Madam recruits another person, Erwin, and they want to help Madam find the parts to the key that opens the door.
    Lexa and Erwin suggest Madam name their group, "Like the Winners, the Hunters, or the Feeners."
    Back at the mansion after the adventure, Madam gives everyone their names, Pecciotta, Elbis, Shinju, Merald, Vesvia. Madam toasts to the memory of Almaz, saying life is like a soiree.

SHOULD I SKIP THIS?
    It's a cute story. That's about it.
    Frankly, I'm disappointed. I would have liked a lot more depth to it. Madam reluctantly falls in love, gets married, loses her husband, feels sad, keeps adventuring.
    I might get flak for this, but I recommend skipping it if you like Madam; not knowing her past makes her more interesting.
    If you like a simple love story and want to see more Madam, then it's all yours.
    The Feener joke is worth it if you watched the Season 3 trailer.

Seven, MikePro, Halcón Negro and 8 others like this.
  2. TheKillingJoke

TheKillingJoke Doomicorn VIP

Global ID:
    833 586 843
    Leads:
    Wedel Kadaj Yshtola Rizer XWQL
    I could have lived with a lot more story. You're right, it felt a bit hasted and hacked.
    Other than that - what was there was okay. First story event i read from start to finish.

Sometimes i ask myself how much pages of background stuff there is at Gumi HQ. Must be quite a lot that gets cutted.

3. keoten

keoten "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    GLS, KM, GilgaWOTV, eva Galuf, SS Char
    Honestly, I enjoyed the story. It's the first one I've not hit "skip" for months maybe even a year now?

One key plot point I think is that Madam Edel is half-Dark Elf. Amber is full Elf. Which is why they outlast Almaz, who succumbs to sickness. Other than that, I enjoyed:

--The theme that learning and wisdom make any adventure into ruins so much more enjoyable...

--The theme that treasure doesn't necessarily need to be tangible...

--The beginnings of all these random FFBE characters that plague my pulls...

Overall I'd say the story is endearing to Edel. But that's probably because I admire her character as an old lady with phenomenal cosmic power, versus just another damage dealer. This story line has made her more rounded out in my opinion, not just a beatstick - but someone who's loved and lost and been found again through her soiree members who love her again. I imagine if she hadn't teamed up with Almaz, she would not have started the soiree, and then we wouldn't have all these poopy characters sitting in my box wait is this post for or against her story line and then she would have never known how to love or to be loved. She would have ended up a cut-throat ruins-ruiner like how Winkel started off.

Person, Nachyoz, rtt and 1 other person like this.
  4. Skye

Skye "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Regina, Edel, MWTerra, Rab
    I think your assessment is fair, though I must say that I very much enjoyed the story, it was for me among the best 3 story events of the last year or so. Maybe last two years even.

TheKillingJoke, Person and rtt like this.
  5. rtt

rtt Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Could have been more rich of course. But by FFBE standards... beggars can’t be choosers I guess

Heck load more interesting than almost every other character regardless

Skye, Person and TheKillingJoke like this.
  6. Person

Global ID:
    I would have liked to see more of Madam's manor, specifically the recruitment of her team. We saw *some* of it before, like with Vesvia, but I could have had an entire story event just about the Feener Squad.

That's a good point, and probably why they threw Winkel in there; he represents the "What could have been" if Madam didn't learn to love.

That's awesome, I'm glad you liked it. It wasn't one of my favorites, but at least I wasn't cringing at every scene like some previous story events.

Agreed. Coulda been a lot worse. I still like Madam, I'm just a little disillusioned about her now.

TheKillingJoke and Skye like this.
  7. Skye

Global ID:
    Leads:
    I actually like that the story shows her human* side. She fell in love, she married, she is not stuck as a mysterious eyecandy stock character.

*using the term loosely to refer to antropomorphic species in general, not trying to dispute her half-human status, or try to make generalisations about dunmer dark elves.

rtt, SummonerBWM and Person like this.
  8. fletcha

fletcha ฅʕ•̫͡•ʔฅ . ʕʘˑ̫ʘʔ . ʕʘ‿ʘʔ . (´ᴥ`) VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    XWQL, O Zyrus, Esther, WOL Bartz
    @Person thanks for the summary. I skipped.

Person likes this.
  9. SummonerBWM

SummonerBWM VIP VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    WLD Fina, Foo, Myra, Aerith, Kry
    I like it. She did better than Lady Tsunade. She at least got married.

rtt and Person like this.
  10. Ashlag

Ashlag Avoid political talk here, it's a landmine Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Great shit, I swear
    19x
    The interesting part of the event, IMO, is all the thing around love, opening onself to others, death, mourning and how it all can affect a person.
    Of course a thing that a lot of people can forget, as a lot of people like Isekai random generic hero banging immortal elves like no tomorrow while enslaving the whole beastwoman population and that everyone loves him for... reasons ? (this is just a random justification don't look into it too much) is that elves are almost immortal compared to humans. How is it to feel something like love, when you know that you'll outlive your partner and suffer anyway ? Will you try again, will you pull yourself back up ? Knowing that even in the best case scenario, you'll see the people you love all die one by one and you can't do anything about it ? The only ones left are those with a lifespan comparable to yours, in the end. Will you get burnt and go distant, never fully engaging yourself into relationships of any kind again ? Only really opening yourself to dragons, elves, espers, veritas and such ? Will you accept that life is fleeting and that loss is a part of it, and no matter how bitter it is it's not a reason not to appreciate what can be appreciated ? When you get immortal, it's really fast not to be able to feel anything anymore, and stay stuck into a destructive way of though, because you just lost too much, you outlived too much. What point is there left in living ? Take the Veritas, never able to fully move on, even for hundreds of years, just hovering over the world, sometimes mingling, but never for long. They face the same sort of issues.
    That's an interesting axis of character growth. It isn't a theme never developed before, of course. There are tons of iterations of this, some well done, some totally failed, some that just don't even consider it. But I find the way they did it in this event (even if some early parts were really light-hearted and almost cliché of a generic creamy love comedy) rather well done.

Skye, rtt, SummonerBWM and 1 other person like this.
  11. Person

Global ID:
    Well said, and, reading this, I agree with you. If you knowingly will outlive your partner, do you bother?
    Lord of the Rings plays with this idea - the conclusion is almost always to go with love.
    Madam's story is tastefully done. Her love happens organically; she wasn't looking for it, it just happened. We see her lament, but we don't see her go through any negative coping habits. No drinking/drugs (besides her pipe, whatever she has in it ::ink::), she doesn't become destructive/abusive to her friends.
    And the ending themes are ones of personal power - love while you can, and don't let loss hold you back.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Skye likes this.
  12. Skye

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Well said!

I cannot write deep thoughts before my morning tea, but I'd give two likes if I could.

Person likes this.