1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

TLDR: Genesis of Chaos -Dark Visions- *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Arena & Quests' started by Person, May 17, 2020.

1. Person

Person Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Hello, all!

I was disappointed to see this was a Story Event, not Dark Visions proper. It's a direct continuation from the end of Season 2, and after the Dark Siren story from Dark Visions #1.

That said, major spoilers for Season 2.

You've likely already done it since there's not much to do besides farm and freeze your game fighting Bogeyman.

But is/was it skippable?

Chapter 1: Harbinger of Chaos
    Rain, Lasswell, and Fina walk through a darkened forest. Their goal is to free Bahamut from the dark energy released by the Lapis and Paladia conflicts, which will free all the dark espers. Fina has something to tell the team, but doesn't say it out of fear of rejection.
    The story flashbacks, and Fina asks about dark energy and how it changes espers. A cloaked figure walks by that looks like Vlad, and they chase him.
    Unable to find Vlad, the three decide to head to Ifrit to ask for information.

Chapter 2: Road to Ifrit
    On the way to Ifrit, Fina asks what they'd do if Vlad appeared in front of them. Their first instinct would be to fight, but Rain says they should try talking to him first.
    The three catch up to Vlad and ask him what he wants. He states he's the ultimate spirit of solitude, the very world itself. When Rain is about to fight, Vlad disappears. They hypothesize that this Vlad could have been a vision brought forth by the dark energy. (Hence DARK VISIONS? HMMMMM.)

Chapter 3: The Fire Beast's Abode
    At Ifrit's volcano, Fina laments about dark energy being caused by humanity's bitterness and sorrow. Rain and Lasswell assure Fina that they're trying to change the world to not know sorrow.
    Once they reach Ifrit, they see he's been turned by the dark energy. He has enough self-awareness to know the darkness is controlling him and requests to be struck down.
    After they fight, the dark energy dissipates. Ifrit states he would have been consumed by the darkness if they came any later. Rain asks if it was Vlad controlling him, but Ifrit doesn't know. The team decides to head to Shiva next.

Chapter 4: In Search of Shiva
    Fina worries internally that her powers have weakened now that Dark Fina is gone. She finds the resolve to continue, inspired by Rain and Lasswell's courage.
    As they walk, a heavy snowstorm hits. They fear Vlad has reached Shiva first.

Chapter 5: The Ice Demon's Abode
    In Shiva's cave, they see Vlad again walking out of the cave. Lasswell wants to chase Vlad, but Rain states they need to free Shiva before she freezes the nearby towns.
    Fina and Rain want to try talking to Shiva first instead of fighting, but Lasswell is skeptical.
    They reach Shiva, and Fina tries talking to her. Shiva recognizes Fina and recalls the memories of travelling with her, but she is unmoved. They wind up fighting.
    After, Shiva is freed from the darkness, but she doesn't know the origin of the power controlling her. Fina internally confirms that her powers have weakened.

Chapter 6: Unfinished Business
    Back to the time at the beginning of Chapter 1, the team has now defeated many more espers. Fina struggles about telling Rain and Lasswell that her powers are fading.
    When we get back to the moment of her confessing, she finally admits it. She's worried her weakness will make them lose against Bahamut. Rain consoles her, and a monster appears to fight. This monster is made of the lost, distorted souls from Paladia and Lapis.
    After the battle, Fina wants to stay behind so she's not a burden to Rain and Lasswell. They don't care that she's gotten weaker and want her to come with. She wants to prove that fighting isn't the only way to solve a conflict, so she accepts going to fight Bahamut.

Chapter 7: Continent of the Dragon King
    They reach Bahamut's island. They rally themselves up to fight for a better future.
    They encounter Vlad. After they say some encouraging words, they fight.
    After they fight, Vlad's appearance keeps changing into different people. Rain thinks the thing they fought was the most menacing thing to each of them, Vlad. He thinks the spirits of the fallen are warning them of the upcoming danger.

Chapter 8: Journey's End
    The team reaches Bahamut. Bahamut does not remember forming a pact with Lasswell, but offers them the choice to serve him. Fina states that Bahamut used to be allies with Dark Fina, but her words don't reach Bahamut. They fight.
    After the fight, the dark energy disappears. Bahamut reinstates his pact.
    On a grassy cliffside, Fina asks if this is the end of their journey together. Rain and Lasswell say yes, but they'd like another journey together sometime and head back to their respective kingdoms. Fina resolves to become as strong as them so they can have another adventure.
    Meanwhile, in the Farplane, the dark crystal appears. A glowing red light shines, and the screen fades to black.

SHOULD I SKIP THIS?
    It's not an amazing story. It's only interesting to me because it's the precursor to Dark Visions as well as Season 3.
    It sets up Fina's character arc for Season 3, who is more determined to gain strength but also resolve conflict through talking - something we see often in S3.
    The timeline is a little confusing at first, both in its own story and chronologically in terms of events. This event should have been released BEFORE Dark Visions #1 happened, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Skip it if you don't care about Dark Visions. You honestly won't miss much, and you can predict what happens. They find dark espers, they fight, the day is saved.
    I'd watch only if you're interested in S3 or the origin of Dark Visions.

My brain every time I see the mist:
    [​IMG]

Happy Skipping!

2. Vatenkeist

Vatenkeist c[_] VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Mugs to the chair.
    Beware dem Seru. Only Ra-Seru withstand the power of the mist. and then > v < ^ < ^ > v < away. on the mc o course.

Arekusu, Person and Regalia like this.
  3. Regalia

Regalia Professional Cat VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    709 451 243
    Leads:
    ACloud, MI Lass, Kuja, Bonus
    That strikes me as gumi's motto...

You... you know that game? You speak the language of my people? Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of mist?

AustinValentine, Shr and Person like this.
  4. Arekusu

Arekusu VIP VIP

If you like that game, me and you just became friends.

Regalia likes this.
  5. Arekusu

Arekusu VIP VIP

Anyone who even knows that game gets mad respect from me. Has to be top 5 all time RPG games for me.

Regalia, AustinValentine and Person like this.
  6. PrezObama

PrezObama "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Prez
    Even shorter TLDR:
    Something scary is coming. The trio must get to the bottom of it.
    The main trio fight possessed versions of Ifrit, Shiva and Bahamut who are "so incredibly powerful" that they are weaker than their story versions.
    Humanity is both beautiful and full of pain and sorrows and somehow this makes a fake Vlad walk around.
    Feener feels bad and sucks at her job so she will go on a journey to not suck so bad and feel better.

Yuck.

It wouldn't be so bad if the dialog wasn't stupid beyond belief. Literally every cut scene is "Hey, we are in this together. We can beat this terrible thing" "I agree" "Yeah me too". Every. Time.

7. EchoEchoPotato

EchoEchoPotato Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    653 604 288
    Leads:
    A.O.K/Event/A.Olive/O.Zyrus/Emp.Foo
    The "friendship, hopes and dreams" theme is beyond inane. Reminds me of pokemon. Painful to read most of the time..

Person likes this.
  8. Vatenkeist

Vatenkeist c[_] VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Mugs to the chair.
    Just a random guy that knows not to put seru on his head and walk around in mistcovered areas. Tho ... thinking about it ... dont age . dont get sick. no hunger ,no covid and you even have an excuse to mindlessly attack people. if that doesn t sound promising i dont know what is. i am sold.

Person likes this.