1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

[Trial][Guide] The Octopus Teacher Trial basic information Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by kurizu, Jun 8, 2017.

1. kurizu

kurizu Fina -> Sniper Waifu <3 VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL Tidus | JP Hyou
    165|99
    Heya folks, I guess everyone is occupied with new Trial... that is not easy as previous ones... Lets be honest... this trial requires TM or good units... its not something anyone can clear without working hard on some stuff before. Anyway lets get to the point :

1. Units
    2. Items
    3. Strategy

1. Units

Tank:
    • Cecil - f2p savior, is very tanky, have curaja, have innate libra and can provoke with small help of Golem. His LB is very helpful especially in late part of battle when MP is becoming more and more important.
    • Wilhelm - Our 5* based Tank that will make impossible possible, even survivng Typhoon ST attack. Much better in everything for this trial and he have mustache!!! I wish he had also Libra though :(.
    Healer:
    • Refia - Old good chocobo breeder, is actually number one healer here and it mostly due to the Full-revive. Yes that one spell makes her shine in this trial because our tank will die often... veeery often.... damn couldnt count how many times my died...
    • Ysthola - good replacement mostly due to Aeroga that will cover wind damage, other than that have innate DC for players who doesnt have it.
    Support:
    • Minfilia - She is the Queen and true MVP here. Guard Call, Aqua and Earth resistance buffs and her counter-healer materia can save your ass a lot of time, also her LB is another buff that team will need.
    • Marie - She is cool green mage that have everything that team needs in terms of elemental coverage, protection for all, nice counters that increase damage of dps and innate DC which together with Healing Staff provide additional healing for team (good healing cover if Refia doesnt have DC)
    DPS:
    • Fryevia - If you have her, then this trial will be very easy for you... If you dont have her well... prepare for long battle =(. What makes her so great is the fact she deals mag damage which can cheese Ultros very well (since he is weak to mag damage) and is good against Typhoon (since he is week to ice, dont forget Ultrost Retaliate here). 2x 850+ mag Fryevia reduces clear time from 1h to 10 minutes...Also she have what is most important here, that is Attack debuff.
    • Orlandeau - Old good Orlandeau, its nice to chain 2 of them, have attack debuff, can chain well with himself, nothing less nothing more to add.
    • Noctis - Yeah this hell of prince is actually good here if you dont have the previous ones, not only he is self efficient (no mana ? ok I will jump for a while, need ATK debuff ? its my main attack job anyway, need additional Revive ? no problem I can provide you with full revive).
    • Firion - Low mp, innate killers and have Lance, lack debuffs and chaining and doesnt have any other function so its not a unit you want that much.
    Honestly units like Setzer, Olive and etc dps are good too but this trial really require one of the units above if you dont want to spent eternity on clearing it. Other way is testing your luck with Setzer which can reduce time of battle pretty much but can also dissapoint us with continues 555/5555 dmg...

Suggested team-setup : Tank, healer, Support, DPS, DPS, DPS.

Few words about pairing DPS... if you have Noctis it would be safer (And longer ofc) to pick a Orlandeau friend, same thing with any other DPS that is not Fryevia... Fryevia is very good but mostly because when chaining with herself she can OTKO Ultros and 2-3 turn KO Typhoon, other than 2 pieces single Fryevia is more problematic than helpful.

F2P Setup : Cecil, Refia, Minfilia, DPSx2 + friendly Orlandeau is what I would suggest here.

2. Items
    First lets take about usable items... take as much mp recovery items as possible if you are not able to chain or not have 2 Fryevias because battle will be long and mp is the key here...

Now about equip I will mention key items per each role that should be taken, keep in mind that all items are given in order of importance.

Tank : Target for either Cecil or Wilhelm is to have at least 8k hp and 500 def, as for spr 200+ is very desirable (Wilhelm have no problem here, Cecil well...). Soluna Band and Arsha's Talismans are 2 accessories that you want the most on him, also if you have Gigas Axe then pick it for additional spr (Cecil)... otherwise pick Survival Edges (Wilhelm). For Materia slots take 3 hp 15% (or better) + Melody of Life(Garnet TM) or Hydaelyn Guard(Minfilia TM). That single elemental resistance materia is mostly for the purpouse of reducing Acid + Aqua breath damage (mostly Cecil who is required to wear Golem and have low spr to begin with).

Healer :
    • Hat : Soul Crown, Cat-ear Hood.
    • Body: Rainbow Robe, Vestment of the Mind, Great Mage's Robe
    • Accs: Soul of Thamasa, Arshas Talisman, Soluna Ring, Water God's Amulet, Domination Ring.
    • Materia: Dualcast(Refia), Water God's Protection(1x is enough), HP+15%
    Target is to have a healer with at least 5k hp and high mp then spr then water resistance.

Support : I will use Minfilia as a base here.
    • Weapon : Survival Edges or Air Knife (wonder why ? it will be support job to seal Typhoon Snort)
    • Hat : Cat-ear Hood, Soul Crown.
    • Body: Vestment of the Mind, Tabby Suit, Antecedent's Attire.
    • Accs: Arshas Talisman, Ring of the Lucii, Domination Ring.
    • Materia: Protection of the Gods (1x is enough), HP+15%, Melody of Life, Hydaelyn Guard, Bushido-Freedom (good materia to remove effect of Magnitude 8 on your units, especiall to clear that 50% atk debuff but it would be best cast before using LB of Cecil or Refia)
    DPS - Up to you, get best atk then hp setup.

3. Strategy

Party setup :
    Tank -> Golem
    Support -> Siren
    Healer -> Carbuncle
    DPS -> Diabolos
    DPS2 -> Odin

Friend -> Diabolos or Odin

Stage 1 - Ultros only
    This part is easy to pass:
    Tank: Provoke, then defend.
    Healer: Curaja + Fullrevive/Curaja
    Support: def/spr buff up
    Dps: if its Fryevia then Cheese up in 1 turn, otherwise ATK debuff adn deal dmg.

Here you dont need to be afraid of thresholds, it do less damage and its actually good to trigger threshold on each turn (especially 50% and 30%) so you can skip Hailstone as much as possible, defending agains Hailstone will result in reducing hp by 37.5%

Stage 2 - Ultros and Typhoon
    Priorites here :
    • Always debuff atk of Ultros
    • Kill Typhoon first, then Ultros.
    • DEF/SPR and water resistance buff should always be up while Typhoon is alive.
    Typhoon 100% -> 0%
    Counting is what really matters here, thats why I will put first 20 turn sequence and mark colours, Typhoon is blue while Ultros is pink
    1. Acid Rain, ST Attack
    2. --
    3. Acid Rain
    4. Typhon took a deep breath!
    5. Snort/Big Sneeze
    6. Acid Rain, Aqua Breath
    7. --
    8. Typhon took a deep breath!
    9. Acid Rain, Snort/Big Sneeze
    10. Acid Rain*, Toxic Rain*
    11. --
    12. Acid Rain, Aqua Breath, Typhon took a deep breath!
    13. Snort/Big Sneeze
    14. --
    15. Acid Rain
    16. Typhon took a deep breath!
    17. Snort/Big Sneeze
    18. Acid Rain, Aqua Breath
    19. --
    20. Typhon took a deep breath!, Acid Rain*, Toxic Rain*

*(only if Typhoon is still alive)

To avoid Snort, on turn that Typhoon is preparing his big attack he will first inform you with message "Typhon took a deep breath1" then self buffs with def/spr buff and end its turn, you need to simply attack him with either regular attack (thats why used Survival Edges/ Air Knife that are wind elemental weapons) or magic/ability ( Y'shtola Aeroga is good choice here ). After that Snort will be replaced with Big Sneeze.

Big Sneeze doesnt deal that much damage, most dangerous turns are 10th and 12th, for that reason would be highly recommended to kill Typhon before 10th turn occur... If not keep in mind that 12/13 turn might be deadly if you get hit by Aqua Breath.

Keeping that in mind try to use DEF/SPR buff on turns that Acid Rain occured and Water resistance on turn before Acid Rain occurs... In case of 9/10 its better to recast Water resistance because Toxic Rain will hit with 100% power anyway.

Ultros 100% - 50%
    After Typhoon died, Ultros will hit you with Acid Rain and Magnitude 8 that might kill your DPS'ers, its important to cast that water buff before killing Typhoon to reduce damage taken from Acid Rain as much as possible. After that its time to recovery, it will be hard because your team will be without buffs and your units might be badly injured, anyway try to revive your unit in this order :

Healer -> Tank -> DPS (someone need to debuff atk of Typhoon or you will be dead if his atk debuff wear off while you focus on reviving team) -> Support -> 2nd/3rd DPS.

After you recover from damage there is simple way... Just attack, meanwhile replace Water buff with Earth buff (single Acid rain wont hurt that much on first 50%).

Ultros 50% - 30%
    Ultros will go into haste mode, will get 2 more attacks and one of that attack will be AoE tentacle... be careful because if Ultros wont be debuffed it will be able to instantly kill your support/DPS/healer (if used after Acid Rain) with AoE Tentacle.

Ultros 30% - 0%
    Worst stage possible, From this moment on Ultros will also cast 10,000 Volts... while lightning damage shouldnt be a problem... remember that your support have Siren... try to use Barthundara(from Carbuncle) between heals to keep your support protected, also remember that it can paralyze (ohh hello Refia, so good you have innate resistance) your units with 20% success rate. Try to go past 30% threshold ON TURN you should be hit by Aqua Breath, that way you can skip it. If you get hit by it while 10,000 Volts is also in play, you might have problem with recovering from probably situation where only Tank and healer are standing.

As for mp recovery, on every turn your support doesnt need to buff your party or use wind attack, use any mp item you have to recover party mp (it doesnt matter if it is Turbo Ether, Chocolate or even Ether, if you see you can replenish it a little and have time, do so because later you might not have that chance).

Remember that triggering threshold will stop unit from any other actions, so try to use it as often as possible (Aqua Breath turn is best situation to do so).

Any suggestion highly appreciated, though I wont be in home this weekend so I will put them after I return on Sunday evening.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Ramza153, Lysander, Sefiros and 14 others like this.
  2. Arnatuile

Arnatuile Wolf of Lapis Street. Proud Evade user. Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

This is a wonderful piece of work, big, big kudos.

If I may, I'd only like to point out one little thing (hope I did not miss it while reading the guide). I found it helpful to equip Bushido-Freedom on my Minfilia, in order to clean my team of Ultros' debuffs when it uses Magnitude 8. Now, I did run the trial with Y'shtola + Rem (but what really mattered was having Y'shtola + another healer), so that Y'shtola could dualcast Protectga and Shellga after Minfilia dispelled the debuffs and Rem (the other healer) could heal. If you don't decide to go with 2 healers and Minfilia in this trial, you could think about putting Bushido-freedom on someone else (Tank maybe). Anyway, I just thought it could have been worth raising the point of a potential usefulness of Bushido :)

kurizu likes this.
  3. Tedeza

Tedeza "Hall of Fame" Member

Leads:
    Trance Terra
    F2P
    Seriously, I thought equipping Siren to Ling was a very brilliant idea, until I got to the last 30% HP Ultros. Thank god Carbuncle's Barthundara saved my ass.

Anyway nice guide, for other users don't play YOLO like me when attempting this trial unless you're full of TMR lol.

Now I know why ::ink:: is a troll symbol here.

4. Jmad

Jmad "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

How do we avoid snort?

5. kurizu

kurizu Fina -> Sniper Waifu <3 VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL Tidus | JP Hyou
    165|99
    Knew I missed something crucial.

6. Jmad

Jmad "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

7. Squallo

Squallo Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orl 1.5k/Hyoh 1.8k/TT 1.2k
    13X
    Finished the trial on my third attempt, Refia, Ling, Cecil, Aileen x2, friend Marie. Now the question is, is the Toxic Rain reward really worth doing the trial again? It takes soo long. I guess that I should ditch Ling and substitute one of the Aileens for friend Orlandeau to debuff ATK. As for avoiding Snort, I crafted few Giant Feathers, the materials are easily obtainable (3 wind cryst, 1 farplane soul). Good guide, by the way :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  8. Jeany1234

Jeany1234 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth 1077 ATK
    The best guide ever hands down. It tells you what unit types you need, how to equip them and also which of your units fit the roles. Very easy to adjust the own team to the strategy, wonderful done. Thank you so much!

9. drkelly

drkelly The Surgeon VIP Supporter

Great guide by the way::up::, alot of detail and this would help a lot of players...

I havent leveled up Refia and have no Dual cast TM yet so i also used Rem and equipped her with Barstonra and Barwatera and served as my Backup Healer and removes status ailments by praying. Did not bring minfilia to this battle since i want a more situational backup healer than a chance healer with minfilias protection of the gods.

Used Cecil, Ysh, Rem, Noctis, Setzer and friend Fryevia
    I geared my noctis for survivability, reviver, mp recovery
    Setzer did the cheesing.
    And did the trial twice (because forgot to use libra::rudecat4:: and i had to endure the trial again::rudecat6::). Setzer was my MVP and was kinda lucky. He always pulls of a double kill for both Typhon and Ultros. Experiencing the thresholds so i built my team for survivability.

I did not bother to do the five man team because i assess it first with a 6 man team. It would be difficult i suppose. Noctis' comeback was essential. Maybe if i have dual cast and a max Refia maybe i can try again my luck::kefka::

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  10. Volfan4life87

Volfan4life87 VIP VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    OMFG so freaking close. Of course double dice didn't finish Typhon off. If you double-dice cheese it up, apparently when Orthos dies Typhon will DOUBLE snort. At least he did to me, so I'm assuming that's what did it. AND HE SNORTED MY FRIEND SETZER >_<

IMG_1371.gif

11. Macska

Macska Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Great work, kurizu! I just wanted to say that your contribution to this forum is simply admirable.

I'd completed the trial before I stumbled upon this guide but I'm sure a lot of people will find it helpful thanks to your time and effort. In my opinion, your guide is much better than the one on the Wiki! ^_^

12. Arkadi

Arkadi "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Something relevant for current events
    Slow and Steady wins the race... Did all missions just now with Cecil, Refia, Y'shtola, Minfilia, and friend Fryevia. Took 32 turns, but I never felt like I was in danger of losing either. This guide was awesome, even though I had to extend the list out to 32 myself in notepad to keep track. One instance of notepad kept track of the round I was on when I applied debuffs and another notepad instance kept track of what the bosses would do each round. Kept those side by side with the game next to them on my PC so I could keep track of everything all at once. Again, kudos to @kurizu for this great guide!

One more note. This trial was probably the most nerve-wracking trial so far (Gilgamesh a close second) to keep track of everything and make sure buffs, debuffs, and element hits were all kept up on the right turns.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  13. Zenakh

Zenakh Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Emperor
    I'm thinking Cecil, Marie, Sakura, Rem, Tilith and friend Fryevia
    Sakura and Rem will both have a aero materia.
    Unfortunently, i don't have that many hp materias to go around, so they'll probably all go on Sakura and Cecil.
    Marie will have new esper for battery purposes.

Can this work?

14. fffan

fffan Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Mostly chainers
    Very good post here.
    I will try this after my Fryevia geared up.
    Thank you

15. machinegungun999

machinegungun999 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau
    wonder if Tilith is actually inferior to Yshlota/Refia with DC here. Tilith can either full-raise or full-heal, but Cecil will die many times and with Tilith you need to choose whether to raise Cecil or heal the rest... any thought?

16. DrPhil

DrPhil Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    530 913 835
    Leads:
    whatever you need
    awesome guide! was able to get all missions except toxic rain in one go. brutally long battle though

17. asynchronmk2

asynchronmk2 Ascended Member

I have no chance. After Typhon is killed Orthos Acid Rain+following attack instant kills my half party. Even if i manage to revive them his next turn wipes my team out without any buffs.

18. AnnieMae

AnnieMae "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Tidus
    I finally found some time to do the trials and this was first on my list. Thanks to to your guide, I didn’t waste nrg doing this and got all missions in one go. It helped a lot that you gave an outline of what was needed and not just shoved units for the role. ::up::

My damage units are far from ideal but it worked. I had Tidus with Excalibur, no brotherhood, friend Orlandeau. WoL, enhanced Marie and Aria with Ramuh (for Libra) as support units.

Edit: Robot’s next but maybe that’s for the holidays. :D

19. bwnyc

bwnyc Ascended Member Supporter

Leads:
    Hyoh, BSS
    2 more attempts and two more failures. Went in with Setzer, WoL, Soleil, Rikku and Tilith. First attempt and Typhoon didn't die first (was down to 1%), but kept taking out two members of the team each time (after snorting WoL) until I ran out of MP to keep up.

Second time was much worse...oh well, I guess I knew it would be heavily RNG based hoping for good Setzer rolls. I think I'll swap out Soleil and put Minfilia in.

20. bwnyc

bwnyc Ascended Member Supporter

Leads:
    Hyoh, BSS
    Swapped in Minfilia and some more bad RNG for Setzer's Double Dice led to another early defeat.

Gave up on 5-man mission and then RNG shined down favorably...so I need to go back and get Toxic Rain at some point. Rod Mastery was my primary goal, so at least that was accomplished.