1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  3. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  4. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

News Tuesday News Brief - Jan. 11th - SHARD DUNGEON! - GLEX Vision Card on 25k Step-up?

Discussion in 'News & Events' started by Sartre, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Sartre

Sartre Esther is my Goddess Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter News Announcer

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther...that is all...
    H7
    The news this week is fairly important for two reasons: Shard Dungeon is back after just one month? And what is the deal with this strange but cool GLEX VC? There's also a unit banner but I already forgot who it was...Oh, and something called a "Trial"? Whatever that is...

DAILY FRAGMENT DUNGEON (AKA SHARD DUNGEON, AKA "I HAD ALREADY MADE MY PEACE WITH NOT SEEING YOU AGAIN UNTIL MARCH!")

20201201DailyFragmentChallengeBanner.png

Begins: Thursday, January 13th after maintenance

Ends: Wednesday, January 26th at start of maintenance

Notes:
    • As per usual, it runs for 14 days, so at 5 shards per day you can get up to 70 shards for any NV/A unit you run thru this dungeon.
    • Highly recommend running any or all of your Time-Limited units (i.e. Karten, Lara, Angela, Tiana) and/or Premium Units (i.e. Sephiroth, Tifa, Auron, Tyvas).
    • While there is nothing special or unique about this particular Shard Dungeon event, it's pretty great to see it back after just one month!
    • You may be thinking that Gumi is going to start a new trend of opening this dungeon once a month now. I was thinking this, at first, but apparently this also happened last year, with a Shard Dungeon in Dec of 2020 and once again in Jan of 2021. Then they began the tortuous trend of releasing them at the last possible moment to stay within their legal bounds. One reddit post in particular makes a prediction on the schedule for 2022, so if you're interested check it out here:

Full details:
    https://lapis-prod-staticnews-gumi-...n/content/20220111DailyFragmentChallenge.html

The Global Exclusive (GLEX) Vision Card: Leave Things to Me!

GLEX VC.jpg

How Do I Get This Card?
    Screenshot 2022-01-12 131518.jpg

Notes:
    • The cost is steep (25k step-up banner) but this card is very, very tempting.
    • While the base ATK and DEF of 110 is decent, it still gets beaten on the ATK stats by Ling, Lara, and all premium ATK cards.
    • The big selling points are the 250 flat ATK/DEF, 50% chain cap boost, and that 200% TDH! This makes turning TDW units like Karten into TDH units sooooo much easier. Slap this card on him and use on Master of Fate materia and you're done!
    • It's important to note that the 200% TDH is only effective on FFBE units, but that's a pretty huge pool of units to choose from at this point.
    • The final effect is neat, a GS imperil and some fire/earth imperils, but for the moment we don't have any hard numbers on those imperils, nor do we know how long they will last. So I will reserve my judgment on that until the datamine.
    My Thoughts:
    • I'm going for it. I'll have ~70k lapis by the time this rolls out (I didn't pull for Tiana so I've been hoarding since Maeve)
    • I'm going to use it solely for Karten to make him permanently TDH. Karten really lacks good sources of flat ATK unless you have him at EX3, which I do not. I still need two full shard dungeons to get him there, personally. So this VC is a godsend for me.
    • If you're strapped for lapis, however, I'm not so sure I'd go for this. The unit on the banner (Tulien) is forgettable, imo. You do, however, get 3 guaranteed NVs (Steps 4, 5, and 6) and since we all know off-banners are way more common than on-banners it's not a bad opportunity to throw some darts hoping to hit an NV you actually want.

Twelve-Types Takedown: Stroper (Stone)

stroper.jpg

The Highlights:
    • Apparently, this thing is about as pathetic as Archaeoaevis was. No sign of a Global Upgrade tag, so we can expect an exact copy pasta from JP here.
    • Comes with a nice P/M 75% Reaper killer materia, as well as the recipe to craft Stone Killer+ (75% P/M)
    • I believe an full-evade, physical cover tank makes this one harmless, allowing you to take your time slaughtering it.
    • Provoke unit should have Death Resist. Everyone should have Petrify resist.
    Full Details:
    https://lapis-prod-staticnews-gumi-sg.akamaized.net/prod//en/img/2022011112RacesStroper.jpg

Summon Banner: NV Tulien

If you're into the Season 4 Story and want to collect the characters then you'll probably want to pull on this banner. Otherwise, it's quite skippable. I can see why Gumi attached that GLEX Vision Card to the step-up banner.

TulienFeaturedSummonBanner.jpg

The TL;DR
    • Tulien is a Breaker with the ability to easily be built as an evade-provoke unit.
    • Breaks are not great until you get the SLB up, and even then it's only an 87% full-break, which Kaktiria has been doing for almost a year now?
    • Also has some earth-elemental support and damage, but it's too sub-par to be anything worthwhile.
    • The TMR is an interesting materia is that it gives any unit with the "Breaker" role an 85% AoE full-break with a 130% earth imperil for 3 turns on a 5-turn Cooldown. Could see some niche use on FTKO teams?
    • The STMR is an axe that really only Tulien will probably ever use, although the killers on it are quite nice (100% machine, 75% beast). Gives 500 flat ATK and 150% LB damage to Tulien. At 220 flat ATK it is the highest ATK axe in the game, and as a 2h weapon it also has the highest variance roll of any weapon (with the exception of Fixed Dice) at 1.9x (avg is 1.5x).

That's it for this week, I'm not going to dive into all the regular crap like bundles (FoL is back this week), and login bonuses.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  2. Eynskaet

Eynskaet "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lots and lots
    Yay! ::blackmage::Also, daily stress to not miss. ::kefka::
    F*** Karten and all the Karten-canted things. ::doink::
    ...Not Karten, so likely not a herpetic nuisance for months on end. ::salt:: (Unless it somehow gets a last-minute buff that channels XWQZ-type energy in advance of LNY. Which it almost certainly won't.)
    Eh. Probably not even enough to make *me* b**** and moan. ::cactuar::

Sartre likes this.
  3. Talien

Talien Element resistl0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    130/200 all resist SS Charlotte
    That stroper thing looks like it could be cthulu's....."mini cthulu".

Sartre likes this.
  4. Xshock

Xshock Wait for NV Fryevia -s2- VIP

25k should be an acceptable price , btw i'm out of lapis ATM , just spend 30k+ lapis coz of boring, get some NV (got 2 of total 3 beach girls and one taivas). So i will skip it , don't know what that "50% various chain" for ::thonk:: , and in my opinion 200% TDH is not worth , 75-100% rare killer is better ::hiya::. 250 flat atk/def and imperil ability is pretty common.

Sartre likes this.
  5. liddokun

liddokun "Hall of Fame" Member

It's a must pull banner for you. When the ??? Crystal implementation hit GL, Esther would love that VC.

Eynskaet, Sartre and Larat like this.
  6. Sartre

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther...that is all...
    H7
    I'll do my best to put out daily reminders on the status feed for the Shard Dungeon, but I totally understand the stress of thinking you might forget one day and end up 5 shards short of an EX2 or 3.

As for all the love for Karten, all I can say is would you like fries with that ::salt::::salt::::salt:: ::joy::

Lovecraft influence inevitably shows up at some point in everything ::happy::

The 50% chain cap boost helps you manage killers a bit better if you're on the fence about using Indestructible Light vs a 75% Killer in a TDH build, especially with all CoW bosses being dual-race.

As for the 200% TDH, that's an STMR level buff right there (NV Cloud STMR to be exact) so having that on your VC means at least one materia/gear slot saved (or more if you don't already have Master of Fate) just be equipping the card.

But is it worth it to go for it if you don't really need it? I'd say no.

True, although I'll probably use the Regina/Krowa generic VC if they do the same upgrades to that one that JP did. If GL brings over the upgrades, that one gives a 50x mod boost to all physical abilities and LBs, which seriously buffs Esthers LB from a 110x mod to a 210x mod due to her LB having unmitigated damage ::up::

Someone on the team will definitely be carrying that card for the GS imperil for her tho! And who knows, if Gumi gets their sh!t together and finally gives us the NV Esther we all deserve then this card may well be the best thing for her!

Eynskaet and Xshock like this.
  7. Xshock

Xshock Wait for NV Fryevia -s2- VIP

That 200% TDH is limited for FFBE unit. I think it's only work in case you want to build TBH for a TDW FFBE unit. Finally still a limited VC which is 250 flat atk/def is the only thing worth ::rudecat15::. But "ESTHER LOVERs" will love it when she able to equip a VC ::rudecat5::

Sartre likes this.
  8. Kaiser_Decimation

Kaiser_Decimation "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    295 801 115
    Leads:
    Sub Account Team 296 712 116
    Ive touched on this in another thread and my status but it does feel like this is a trap banner before Xenogears to deplete Lapis.

Even if the VC is excellent, its a way to reduce lapis counts just before. Same with the Shard dungeon so we cant get fragments for Grahf lol

Scheich and Sartre like this.
  9. DrNooooo

DrNooooo "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    This situation with the shard dungeon happened last year as well from Jan 7th to Jan 20th 2021, but it's nice to see regardless since I'll finally be able to EX3 my Seph and almost EX3 my Tifa as well and I'll also be working on getting the shards for other units (I'll probably be running Taivas and Yuna in this as well!). (Oops, I saw you mentioned that haha).

As far as the VC's concerned, I'll probably be going for that as well, kind of helps that Tulien isn't a bad unit to have either (His Earth imperil will be pretty handy imo for any fight weak to Earth, but being SLB is pretty eh). I'm curious on the numbers of the Fire and GS imperils on the card.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Sartre likes this.
  10. Eynskaet

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lots and lots
    I actually set up persistent notification reminders on my phone last time; will do again. More reminders are always good though. ::up:: I don't think I have any units that are actually going to get a new EX level, just progress toward them.
    Yes, please. Fries are tasty. :)

I'm super ambivalent about the VC/step-up. Will waffle for a while then decide.

Sartre likes this.
  11. Talien

Talien Element resistl0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    130/200 all resist SS Charlotte
    You know, that's a good point. They give us the shart dungeon now so they have an excuse for not doing for a long time after the Xenogears banner. I guess people will just have to "work hard" to pull a bunch of dupes if they want that EX3 Grahf.

Sartre likes this.
  12. Sartre

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther...that is all...
    H7
    A very reasonable prediction, and sounds exactly like something Gumi would do. This banner is up for the next two weeks so it may be worth holding off for the next new cycle. Personally, I have no attachment to Xenogears and despite seeing what Grahf can do over on the JP side, I have no interest since the only thing I really care about anymore is CoW. Unless they attach morale-based damage to Grahf, he's DoA to me.

Me too, really want to know the duration and the imperil % on this. Everything else on the card is pretty great, imo, so I'm optimistic that it will be a 30% GS imperil and 130% element imperil. That's probably asking too much, but I can dream :) even if the imperils don't hit the mark, the rest of the card is worth it to me.

The banner will be up for the next two weeks so there's no rush on it. See what pops up in the next news cycle before making any decisions.

13. Eynskaet

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lots and lots
    25% GS imperil for 4 turns
    120% Fire and Earth Imperil for 4 turns
    Party should include one or more non-provoker petrify cure sources unless provoker has limited-time Seraph Staff. Stroper dgaf about immunity gear and buffs.

Also, take fire/earth magic damage dealers. Chonky f***er.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    LurkerRamza and Sartre like this.
  14. Larat

Larat "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Nice, today my Tifa finaly become ex+3 and when i not forget a day my Lara will become ex+3 on saturday::blackmage::
    Bad thing is that Karten have to wait until next shard dungon for his last 25 shards :(

Edit: aargh, only 3 shards away to get my Cetra Aerith to ex+3 ::desch::

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022 at 2:49 PM
    Scheich and Eynskaet like this.