1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unconventional ways to use Lila

Discussion in 'Unit Discussion' started by Fabell, May 14, 2018.

1. Fabell

Fabell "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elena,Sylvie,Zeno,SS Charlotte,Olberic
    While probably everyone here knows about the magnificence of Lila's damage abilities, there are also some very interesting ways to use her. Over the last week or so she has become my favorite character if only because she is so powerful in so many different roles.

Lila the Superwoman
    With Ace as her support, Lila chaining with another Lila can actually chain three elements on her own, as long as you have equipped her with an elemental weapon. Build-wise, this is quite easy as most will give her Holy Wand. Then with her two abilities you can add fire and lightning to her, and hit an Ace imperiled enemy back into the Stone Age. Albeit it takes some time a turn to set up (and you do lose the damage from the three one turn you need to set it up properly) but it's perfect for a OTK.

Lila the Battle Medic
    As long as you are using both Holy Wand and Carbuncle/Lakshmi, you will be able to heal your party for around 3k-4k each turn using DC Cura, because you already have massive SPR. Then, when you don't need to heal, you can inflict massive damage on the enemy in conjunction with your Excalibur-wielding party members. Depending on the fight, you might not even need to bring a healer with you. You could even DW Holy Wand and Healing Staff and then use Phoenix to give yourself the ability to raise and heal at the same time.

Lila the Valkyrie
    Because of Lila's built-in evasion, she can also operate as an evasion counter tank. Not only does she come equipped with her own damage mitigation, but she can counter attacks on herself and allies, so even if the enemy doesn't attack her (if the provoke doesn't work, as you will probably be using Golem for the built-in cover). She also has an incredibly cheap full heal for herself, and she can restore 30% of her own MP each turn if she is running low. Adding a 50% SPR break to the list shouldn't be overlooked either. Finally, as long as she is using a fist weapon (for those without Winged Saint, your next best would probably be Broken Arm for the defense buff) she will be able to reach very high HP.

Lila the Lonestar
    I would be remiss if I didn't mention her truly amazing ability to function in story events. Because she has access to w-ability, she can actually chain for free. This solves worrying about mana for your damage dealers in long-term story events. You probably won't need the massive damage she puts out, especially since she will be breaking the enemies by herself with her chaining AoE abililty. Use two at the same time and you'll be clearing most levels without even needing to worry about support units, meaning you can focus your support units on the individual quests you need for each story stage. If you encounter a particularly strong enemy, she can also restore her own MP and heal status ailments on her own. Equip her with materia to nullify sleep and paralysis and she can totally function on her own since you can just use w-ability to cure her of the other status effects.

Most of the above are not meta, they don't take advantage of her built-in superiority with SPR damage, and other units could probably do those jobs better. But in-case you wanted an argument to not switch up your characters for a particular fight because you just enjoy her damage that much, there are many reasons to use her outside of her community-defined roles.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. Fenix808

Fenix808 Mr. Aloha (^o^)/ VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    252 911 038
    Leads:
    Randi, Mordegon, Maria, Kryla, WKN
    Nice pointing out some of her uses. I agree, she has various uses depending on the way you build her. I am definitely liking the idea of characters with damage scaled with spirit. I very much enjoy my Kryla and LM Fina. I believe we’ll also be getting our first def-scaling unit, Gabranth, fairly soon.

3. Fabell

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Kryla was definitely the hidden gem of the Christmas banner. She is so unique and so utterly powerful if you use her in the right way. She can take down trial bosses on her own if you use her right.

4. Absolem

Absolem "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    737 567 686
    Leads:
    Zeno, KM, Rerun, Circe, Gladio
    That's fun, but still useless. Using three elements, all imperiled, will give you the exact same damage as one single element with the same imperil, all of that with more chance to be resisted. Kinda pointless.

Still, that's some fun uses for one unit.

5. NickDoveCot

NickDoveCot Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TT,Barby,Reagan,Tidus,Basch,
    So count only one element imperil..not two or three...::sarcasm::

6. Veritas of the Wine

Veritas of the Wine Miss Vanjie VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Seph/Fry. JP: 7 star e.Seph
    I've never used either of mine, TBH. I'd be very interested in reading a similar post for her, were you to make one (hint, hint). ::salty::

You're definitely right about Lila & story events. She's been my go-to on JP for ages now.

7. Cabbage

Cabbage VIP VIP

N/A
    Great article! How do you feel about some JP players keeping two 6-stars rather than making a 7-star?

8. Goddess Nyx

Goddess Nyx Spooky Spooky Chocobro Supporter

Global ID:
    I'm looking forward to trying her out as an evade tank! She won't be hard to build with 20% innate evade.

I'm also thinking about changing my arena team up.

9. Adamant

Adamant Ascended Member

I'm not saying imperiling multiple elements is worth doing, but having multiple elements equipped/imbued and imperil'd will actually result in more damage being done, though not by an amount that would necessarily make it worth doing. Having multiple elements will cause your combo multiplier to increase faster, meaning each individual hit leading up to the maximum damage hit to do more than it otherwise would have. This is more effective on units that have difficulty maintaining a perfect chain (like Lila), but still not really worth doing unless you can't attack with your Lila's for a turn for some reason anyway.

10. Jmad

Jmad "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

That setup is actually just a one and a half turn setup... using w-ability you can imbue/imperil both abilities turn one, then turn two is break spr/45mp chain attack. Just stinks she doesn't have a light imperil as that is what the staves have.

11. Fabell

Global ID:
    Leads:
    There is an interesting strategy on taking down Elnath with only 5 units, with Kryla as the primary damage dealer. I still haven't been able to do it right (the strategy demands you don't make any mistakes and I always make stupid mistakes) but I did bring Elnath down to his genocide phase using this method. It's really fun to watch this huge robot get ripped to shreds by just one of your units.

12. Fabell

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Just for fun, I did a test on the dummy with this using my two Lilas. Here is the data I got:

no imperil (holy)
    no imperil (holy & fire)
    no imperil (holy, fire, & lightning)

Ace imperil (holy)
    Ace imperil (holy & fire)
    Ace imperil (holy, fire, & lightning)

Interesting thing about Lila is that even when you are spark chaining with her, her damage is inconsistent. For example, the second time I ran the Ace imperil (holy, fire, & lightning) I got 13,917,847 (163,956 lower than the first time). But there does appear to be a damage increase as you add elements to her attacks. As you said, Absolem, this is probably not due to the imperil but due to the added elements (as the additional damage seems to correspond with the added elements and doesn't appear to be because of additional imperils). I'll be the first to admit my inadequacy with regards to these kinds of analyses.

It does seem odd though. Which imperil is counted then? I have a feeling I am totally misunderstanding the basic concept of an imperil.

13. Jmad

Jmad "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Afaik... It's probably got to do with the increase in the multiplier. 3 elements gets more chain multiplier than 1. It will get to the cap before 1 elemental attacks 3 times as fast.

As far as the variance, 168k is just over 1% so not much. In the damage mechanics for physical damage (even when spr scaled I'd assumr) there is an automatic variance of .85-1.0 or something along those lines. If guess if you continued testing your range for an attack for go from 14.8mil down to 13mil or so depending on rng

Fabell likes this.