1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Overview: Cid (Final Fantasy Brave Exvius)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd FFX-l0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Cid | JP: Akstar
    Cid lost his parents at a young age. For this reason, he wanted to have a family early, and was truly happy when Mid was born. However, that joy soon turned into sorrow...
    Now, he has once again found himself surrounded by happiness in the form of Mid and Yego.
    An already controversial unit. Many think he's not a big step up, many think he's a huge step up from what we currently have.
    Thus I'll try to clear things up so you can decide tomorrow whether to pull or not!

Cid Overview by Memel0rd

[​IMG]
    [ Artwork done by Amano ]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG]6*
    [​IMG]7*

TMR: Hero's Vow - Wind (Materia) - Increase equipment ATK (50%) and accuracy (25%) when single wielding any weapon
    Increase jump damage (75%)
    Increase LB gauge fill rate (50%)
    STMR: Sky Feather (Spear) - 175 ATK, 2h (x1.25 AVG variance), Wind

Overview:
    Cid
    , another unit some of you consider as "daddy" material. But with such a huge spear, would you really want that? Hm??

Starting off with good base stats always makes for a decent first impression. Which would be the same for Cid. High HP, surprisingly high base SPR and a high ATK stat, not too bad. On top of it he has 140% ATK with spears, 50% TDH, 60% HP, 50% DEF, 20% SPR/MP as well as a 50% beast killer. These stats will get amplified after his TMR ability.
    Cid is resistant against blind and confusion, which is pretty mediocre but often enough he will be in the air.

His own TMR is incredible on Cid himself. 50% TDH, 75% jump damage and 50% LB fillrate? I'd take that even without his TMR ability. The boosts he receives upon equipping it are drastic though. Another 100% TDH, another 50% jump damage and 75% beast killer? Hell yes.
    This leaves Cid with a total of 140% ATK and 200% TDH as well as a 125% beast killer and already 275% jump damage! Keep in mind that all of his main damaging abilities besides his Limit Burst are jumps, you will always benefit from it.

Cid from here on out is a quite simple unit and heavily relies on his CD ability. Generally 6* finishers aren't exactly good because... compared to 7 stars they can't do their job too well. It is what it is so I hope you will have his 7 star ready if you want to use him.

Which is why we'll look at Sky Dragon Squall (Squall what u doin here) first. Available at Turn 1 with a 4 turn cooldown and its effect is an AoE single mirage. It's decent enough but not worthy of being a CD, so how come it's useful?
    It amplifies ALL of his jumps with specific buffs, which is very important.

Before we jump... to his jumps... I wanted to briefly adress that Cid has a ST Dispel with Dispel Lance. Mostly he's in the air but perhaps it might be useful to you occasionally.

Having a high variety of jumps is not too important for him but if you ever need it, it might just save your ass.

Turns out Cid is a breaker! Just kidding, but he has some serious breaks to offer if you really want to go that route. Aerial Shot / Downforce already can be used in emergency situations. They have a ST 2 turn 60% ATK/DEF or MAG/SPR break alongside a weak 450% 1 turn Jump.
    After Sky Dragon Squall though the breaks last 3 turns, are AoE and buffed up to 74%! You won't use it too often, but it's not bad per se. The jump goes up to a 1000% modifier, which is already a strong finisher, though it gets better as we go on.

Similar to Recovery Jump, he can jump into the air with a 470% finisher, 150 MP recover + 3000 HP recover and a 10 LB increase. Not outstanding, but it's better than nothing.

His Limit Burst as well as Beast Spindle are great options when his CD is down, however keep in mind that Cid's LB is always locked to wind element. This can be important depending on your team composition.
    Beast Spindle is a 1 turn 850% jump. If you consider all the jump boosts from the build provided below it still deals damage on Ang's level with the set up we'll talk about later. Its 200% beast killer due to Cid's already huge beast killer isn't mandatory, but it certainly helps against these enemy types.
    His Limit Burst has a 2800% modifier at max and a 20% damage boost coming from his passives. Sadly it does not get the jump boosts, though it only costs 1 turn instead of 2 compared to Beast Spindle.

Gale Grid is yet another jump that's essentially useless without his CD ability. 75% wind imperil and a 450% mod.
    Post his CD it gets beefed up to a 1000% 1 turn jump with a 3 Turn AoE 100% wind imperil. This is mostly useful if you lack all external setups but own his STMR. Generally said though not that great.

So... what makes Cid amazing?
    Spineshatter Dive 0+. Weird name, but ignore it. Without the buffs from his CD buffs it's a 15 turn jump with a 1850% modifier. Ridiculous modifier, even more ridiculous amount of turns you have to wait for.
    But... after you use Sky Dragon Squall, the jump duration decreases from 15 turns to a single turn! This means we are looking at a jump that needs a total of 3 turns to deal damage with a nasty 1850% buff! Combined with the absurd jump damage boosts Cid receives.... we have a finisher move that is capable of one-shotting pretty much everything in the game right now as long as he can deal damage to them.

How does he fare in the meta?
    Cid
    is in a controversial spot but I do think Cid is exceptionally great as a finisher for multiple reasons despite needing specific team compositions.

He is a finisher, which many players do not like to fit into their teams. Cid also comes with many problems: He has no imbues and his given imperil can't be used for True Spineshatter Dive 0 due to being too short.
    This leaves Cid in a spot where he WANTS external imbues AND imperils at the same time. However here's the catch: He's not a chainer. He's a finisher. We can work with that a lot more easily than with chainers.

This might be confusing because in the past I've often stated it's not worth it. The difference in damage that Cid has over any chainer and any finisher however is way larger in this case, making him a killing machine.

So, how do we get to that?
    Two easy options would be to turn Cid into a water or fire finisher. There are many units that provide chains on top of something else, so it's time to start getting creative.
    The two easiest team compositions would include either:
    MS Nichol / S.Nichol + Folka (equipped with Leviathan)
    or
    Ignacio + 2x Any Chain

MS Nichol and Folka provide a water imbue alongside a 75% water imperil while Nichol has the spell Flood. Leviathan has an ability that shares Flood frames, which we can use with Folka to chain them up. Cid will have a water imbue alongside a high water imperil and chains. Since Cid only needs to finish on Turn 3 there is enough time to buff and perhaps heal AND chain. MS Nichol can also apply a 150% ATK Buff.

Ignacio alongside 2 random chainers (could be any element) can imbue Cid with fire while providing a 75% fire imperil. Again, your two random chainers don't have to chain on every turn! This makes it a lot easier to set up. The advantage over MS Nichol + Folka would be higher damage output since Ignacio also has considerably high burst damage himself. The downside would be 4 actions vs 3, though with Cid's burst that usually is not a problem.

There's also Blossom Sage Sakura if needed, though her imperil is lower and I do think Ignacio would be the better option, though that's totally up to you and how you create your team.

These are the two easiest ways to utilise Cid without limited units and I don't want to assume anyone has any given limited time unit, however what I can tell you: There are many ways to use him. Especially if you own two copies of Pod 153.
    If you can't use this set up you lose "only" 75% of your damage (more damage loss with higher imperils). It is a big downgrade in damage but he'd still be strong.

This leaves Cid in a spot where with the right team he's an absolute monster, without them he's worse but not garbage tier at all.
    His burst damage is stronger than pretty much any 2x Chainer combination and if you can really afford it you can bring two regular chainers on top of Cid!

With his own STMR you do lose out on some jump boost but also skip the imbue part. Same goes for Nalu's STMR Vajrayana! This makes him a lot easier to use with units like Loren / Auron or even Barbariccia and her 120% imperil.

In the future Regina will show up and while she is way faster, she also requires very similar set up. Do not forget that! She has no imbues nor imperils as well, thus the team compositions look quite similar.
    Regina is "faster", has a huge Turn 1 burst but has considerably lower burst, which makes both have their respective niche where Regina is more of a consistent finisher that still has high burst damage and Cid being the "OTKO god".

Build + Maths:
    Stoss Spear (140 ATK, 2h, x1.3 AVG variance)
    Prishe's Hairpin (45 ATK, 10% HP/MP)
    Hyoh's Clothes (28 ATK, 42 DEF)
    Flapping Wings (30 ATK, 50% Jump Damage)
    Marshal Gloves (40 ATK, 50% TDH)
    Hero's Vow - Wind (50% TDH, 75% Jump Damage) + 100% TDH
    Dark Knight's Knowledge (30% ATK, 50% TDH)
    Past Regrets (60% ATK, -10% SPR)
    Sworn Six's Pride - Wind (50% ATK, 25% Jump Damage)

Stats with Odin 3*:
    9158 HP
    443 MP
    2289 ATK
    419 DEF
    308 SPR

450% Jump Damage

ATK post 100% buff: 2557
    ATK post 120% buff: 2611
    ATK post 150% buff: 2692
    Assuming 75% external imperil
    Assuming fire / water external imbue

True Spineshatter Dive 0: 100% buff
    2557^2 x ( 18.5 x 5.5 ) x 4 x 1.3 x 1.75 = 6,053,928,205
    -> 307% higher than Ignacio ( 1,483,843,953 )
    -> 257% higher than Nameless Gunner Jake ( 1,693,641,960 )
    -> 160% higher than Duke ( 2,331,589,845 )
    -> 127% higher than Ang ( 2,661,975,555 )
    -> 116% higher than Ideal Veritas of the Flame ( 2,848,668,840 )

True Spineshatter Dive 0: 120% buff (Ignacio)
    2611^2 x ( 18.5 x 5.5 ) x 4 x 1.3 x 1.75 = 6312327946

True Spineshatter Dive 0: 150% buff (MS Nichol)
    2692^2 x ( 18.5 x 5.5 ) x 4 x 1.3 x 1.7 = 6518336762

Beast Spindle:
    2557^2 x ( 8.5 x 5.5 ) x 4 x 1.3 x 1.75 = 2781534580

Limit Burst:
    2557^2 x ( 28 x 1.2 ) x 4 x 1.3 x 1.75 = 1999135014

Character Design: 9/10
    Sprite: 9.5/10
    Finisher: 9.5/10
    Trust Master Reward: 7.5/10
    STMR: 8.5/10
    Arena: 1/10
    Limit Burst: 7/10
    Future Proof: 8.5/10
    Free 2 Play: 8.5/10 (just use a whale Cid friend)
    Pay 2 Play: 9.5/10
    Personal Rating: 9/10
    Optimal Rating: 9.5/10

[​IMG]

Ang
    VS
    the guy she tells you not to worry about

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Luckenzio, b3l14l, Sir_Renan and 62 others like this.
  2. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
    Thanks Meme for your Hard work.

[​IMG]
    I'm Pulling for this Guy!

He is one of those units we have been anticipating since the JP release. I believe that everyone here agree that he is Awesome.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    lupinorris and MikePro like this.
  3. Randkin

Randkin Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Sophia, Fayt
    Nice. Definitely interested in trying for him.

4. edude127

edude127 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    QH chainers, Hyoh, Malphasie
    More like Ang vs Her Daddy ::ink::

rtt and Tamamo05 like this.
  5. Galuf the Dwarf

Galuf the Dwarf Skilled Orator and Internet Scribe VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Loren/event unit
    1/2
    Very nice review. If I get him randomly, okay. If not, I'm hoarding for Akstar so no big loss. Gotta love the Yoshitaka Amano artwork. :D

h3pc4t and Memel0rd like this.
  6. Lótus Haddock

Lótus Haddock Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Auron
    Good review meme o/

Another thing: His Limit Burst is very cool! But I will not try to get him because my resources is very low, Sora+Sophia+Auron banners literally make me have 0 resources and only now I'm recovering with 17k lapis and 3 tickets ::rudecat4::.

7. Isaac

Isaac Ascended Member

Global ID:
    702 220 272
    Leads:
    7 kurasame, Hyou, Dragon Lrd, Barbi
    160s
    I am surprised that dragoon's gauntlet (100% jump damage increase) isn't better than flapping wings (30 atk + 50% jump damage increase).

8. Ashlag

Ashlag Casually strolling here... Or not. Depends. Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Great shit, I swear
    Well, unless I get one I probably won't pull (even with his step up that is definitely better than usual 11k). I mean, with a whale friend and my 3 pods, I should be able to manage ^^

Cylian and Nimbus3 like this.
  9. Memel0rd

Memel0rd FFX-l0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Understandable, I'm in a similar boat.

30 ATK with TDH results in a total of 120. Which is a ton.

That's the best thing about him!

Luckenzio, BigNBald5, Masvroh and 4 others like this.
  10. Frosty Toast

Frosty Toast Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    511 684 224
    Leads:
    Event, Rem, 2B, Raegen, M. Ramza
  11. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    That's what she said.

Luckenzio, Raindah, Nanyu and 14 others like this.
  12. Manveru

Manveru "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Hanzo? What are you doing here?

TheKillingJoke likes this.
  13. Ashlag

Ashlag Casually strolling here... Or not. Depends. Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Great shit, I swear
    With a Spear ? Naaaah, would it have been a log thrower (with or without tools) why not, but...

TheKillingJoke likes this.
  14. Awerinc

Awerinc Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Cid, 2B, A2, Beatrix, Lilith, Mediena
    I'm so on the fence about Cid that it's starting to annoy me.

On one hand he's a perfect fit for the way I've been building my team since I run either WKN/Rem combo or Lilith/Loren and a unit that lands on turn 3 is perfect since that's when the tanks got their free turn for chaining

But on the other hand I only got 13k lapis and there's a certain Akstar that should be coming next month

Scheich likes this.
  15. Frosty Toast

Frosty Toast Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    511 684 224
    Leads:
    Event, Rem, 2B, Raegen, M. Ramza
    ::ink:: You know it ::ink::

16. Xacques

Xacques Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reberta, VD, Tidus,Lila, Barba, Mateus
    100<x
    One of the rhings that defines a dragoon is their arnor but regardless, i will pull on him half-assed and hoped to get him. I WANT REGINA

Paulb likes this.
  17. Strelok

Strelok Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Event, Request, CG Nichol
    Nooo :/ I was already hesitating to pull him, but now I'm sold, dang it :/

Is there a possible alternative build with Reberta or Duke TMR for those who don't own Aranea ?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2019
  18. Freya

Freya Member

If that's a 9.5/10 sprite there's going to be a lot of 10s in future.

19. Absolem

Absolem "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    737 567 686
    Leads:
    2B mostly, bonus unit otherwise.
    Is E.Shera that bad you'd rather chain with Pod instead of using his imbue + DR chains ? E.Shera+Raegan looks like a great option for me to use with a friend Cid.

MacroH8r likes this.
  20. MeeTum

MeeTum New Member

Wow awesome review for tomorrow thx!

I was gonna pull him anyway but now I know my nalu's Vajrayana is not a total waste.

Nimbus3 likes this.