1. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

2. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Cloud of Darkness [Final Fantasy 3]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Ephemeral God VIP

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    She's mean, and in green. Wait, Cloud of Darkness is a girl?! Yep, that's right. Today, we'll be looking at another unit by the name of Cloud of Darkness wanna know why she's good? Well, I got ya! Sit back and prepare to read. :]

[​IMG]

In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [3*] | [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*] | [​IMG][6*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses [6*]: None | Resistances [6*]: -50% to all elements, -30% to all aliments.
    Trust Master Award: Auto-Limit (Ability): Increases LB gauge by 1 every turn.
    Limit Break [6*]: 270% AoE 1 Hit Physical Attack & 40% Blind -> 390% AoE 1 Hit Physical Attack & 64% Blind

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 527 / 1596 (150) 23 / 70 (25) 23 / 71 (14) 21 / 63 (10) 18 / 55 (10) 16 / 48 (10) 6 1
    4* 679 / 2059 (210) 30 / 90 (35) 30 / 92 (18) 27 / 82 (14) 23 / 71 (14) 20 / 61 (14) 8 1
    5* 849 / 2574 (240) 37 / 113 (40) 38 / 115 (24) 34 / 102 (16) 29 / 89 (16) 25 / 77 (16) 10 1
    6* 1104 / 3346 (390) 48 / 146 (65) 49 / 149 (34) 44 / 132 (26) 38 / 115 (26) 33 / 100 (26) 12 1

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Blind 40% Chance to Blind one enemy 3 7 [***]
    Protect 20% DEF buff to one ally for three turns 4 19 [***]
    Thundara 140% AoE Magic Thunder Attack 9 35 [***]
    Armor Break 120% Physical Attack to one enemy, reduces -15% DEF for three turns 7 14 [****]
    ATK +20% Boosts user ATK stat by 20% - 37 [****]
    Man Eater Physical Damage boosted to Human type enemies by 50% - 60 [****]
    Protectga 40% AoE DEF buff for three turns 24 36 [*****]
    Thundaga 180% AoE Thunder Magic Attack 20 58 [*****]
    Barrage 320% 4 hit Random Physical Attack 16 80 [*****]
    Man Slayer + Physical & Magic Damage boosted to Human type enemies by 75% - 1 [******]
    HP +20% Boosts HP user stat by 20% - 24 [******]
    Aura Ball Reduces all enemies attacks by 30%, and 40% chance to silence all enemies 30 38 [******]
    Omni Veil +30% elemental resistances to all elements 53 44 [******]
    Comeback Heals all status aliments from your party members 20 70 [******]
    ATK +30% Boosts users ATK stat by 30% - 90 [******]
    Call of The Void 210% ST Dark Physical Atttack with -25% DEF ignore 45 100 [******]
    *This time, pros & cons will be listed by her past (5*), and current (6*) so you can understand the relvance of then and now. This is expected to be the template I follow whenever other legacy units receive a 6* upgrade in the upcoming months. *

Pros

Man Eater (Past): CoD is one of the few units to make use of slayer abilities as a whole. Man Eater is hugely helpful for her since she mainly is a damage dealing unit. In the early meta, there isn't really to many threaten enemies that she can use this slayer to it's fullest potential. Most bosses were of different creatures like Aquan, Beast, Machine etc etc. But, in the moment when this slayer is needed. Cloud of Darkness surely has your back.

Man Eater (Current): Now the damage has been buffed by a extra 75% when she achieved 6* which infact does stack with her previous Man Eater which gives her a auto 125% boost innately whenever she graces the battle. The buff also extended to her magic based spells which was helpful, but will be more in detail in the next section of this review.

Barrage (Past): Barrage is one of the best moves to use in the past meta in Global. In a sense, it was literally a win condition for anything. Arena, Trials, and in general story content since back then especially on a single enemy it was being hit for a massive 320% modifier which back then was amazing for what we had in starting units.

Barrage (Current): Barrage isn't as strong as it used to be cause of enemies getting more and more tougher which is to be expected as a game gradually ages in time this as a result reduced the hype that was drawn behind Barrage and made it more so a second choice offensive move more so than a main priority. CoD still having this is good as she can keep getting off constant damage but is her strongest move to this day.

Innate Status & Aliments Resistance: (Both): CoD is the only unit in the game to have as many resistances as she has. She resists everything, sure it's not a 100% nullify like some of the newer units have but to have it innately isn't a complaint but more so very good for her. Since she has a 50% resistance to every element she can very easily tank on bosses who tend to spam magic based attacks, and or have a extra fighting chance when aliments are applied. Back then, her resist to aliments was a mere 10% which was helpful, but 10% wasn't comforting enough to simply say that CoD was completely fine against bosses. With it now being buffed to 30% it feels much more comforting to have her be relied on enough to not be status down by opposing enemies.

Great Supportive Movepool (Current): When she got her 6*, CoD supportive role definitely became much better as she now has invaluable buffs in her movepool. The main moves I am mainly focusing on is "Omni Veil", and "Comeback". In her 5* form, her supports was shafted fast, and easy. But, these will be ones you can plan to hold on to. I can guarantee you this for sure.

• Omni Veil: This gives your units a 3 turn all element shield resistance. ...All elements? All of them.. Yes, all of the elements will be resisted which is great cause you don't need to cycle through specific bar spells. Like a great use for this would be on bosses who spam different elements while it's not as strong as any of the bar shields (50% on ra, 70% on ga) it's simply a start and it covers all elements at once. I feel like that's easily a more fair trade than one specific element at one time. As a side note, when CoD even uses this she gets a 80% resistance in total... Almost a immunity? Yeah, Omni Veil is amazing.

• Comeback: You know this has been the support we have been waiting on for a long, long time. Why? Simply because there isn't any AoE Esunas to be used in the game. This would definitely take a load off your healers when they have to spend turns healing statused units on your side of the field. There is alot of enemies now in game that tend to do AoE status which can be annoying for your healer to deal with while your party members are being damaged. On top of this, thanks to CoD innate aliment resistance she would have a better chance at the getting the move off as well!

Cons
    Bad Weapon Selection: (Past): Back then, CoD had nothing great to use which as a result made her attack feel slightly lower. Her best bet was using maces and there was not alot of them in the earlier meta. Since most of our then good equips was more so swords, and other gear. She didn't really have a great weapon to use that was AT least +50 ATK or higher which would kept her high in the offensive playing field. It was a small minor problem about her DPS really.

Bad Weapon Selection: (Current): Now, it's not as bad as it was back then. She even has a massive +50% ATK passive backing her up. She even now has a great usable weapon in the Lunar Pestle from the mogcake event, if you didn't get to play this event it's fine. The Thorned Mace is soon, and is better. But, in her now state. She can afford to even use little weapons cause at the end of the day she does have great and usable stats. So, this isn't really a con anymore.

Low MAG stat: (Both): CoD MAG stat is nothing high or anything to brag about. Making her spells less than wanted to be used. Thundara/Thundaga would've been good alternates to damage if she had at least a more passable MAG stat. You can argue and say she can equip rods in the least, and can be supported with esper help. But, she lacks passives, and would you really want to give up on her clearly more prominent offensive pressure? That would be a bad trade off.

No Materia Slots (Past: Back then, in her 5*. She had access to no materias which hurt her greatly cause she couldn't get any thing to help her be even more stronger in battle. She pretty much only could depend on her weapon, and esper for her attack boosts. Which hindered her DPS quite greatly cause you couldn't really customize her.

No Materia Slots (Current): As of now, she has 4 materia slots which is the standard of units and is gonna remain this way for the longest time. This now allows her to be more customizable to do more things she can get more things to benefit her ATK, she can get more things to benefit her DPS etcetc. So, this isn't a con anymore either.

Trust Mastery Award:
    Sorry to say this, but Auto Limit is easily one of the worst TMs from a rare summoned unit. All it does is gives a unit 1 extra LB per turn which is next to useless really. There's never no real time when you need to highly depend on LB currently in the game. So, this TM would be kinda a wasted slot, and a wasted grind. So, avoid this TM at all costs.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Bartz (Past)
    • Both have Barrage
    • CoD has a ATK passive, Bartz doesn't have any passives.
    • CoD has higher base stats.
    • Bartz had a slightly better debuff in Imperil
    • CoD had innate status resistance, and aliment resistance.
    • Bartz had the more better overall weapon selection.
    Overall Verdict: CoD easily is better than Bartz when you put the nail into her. Even though, she was burdened with no materia, low weapon slots and etc. Bartz only had Barrage as his damaging move, which is all of what he needed but outside of that he couldn't really do anything. At least, CoD could status, and debuff DEF on enemies which was helpful. So, yes. CoD was better than Bartz.

[​IMG] - Dark Knight Cecil (Current)
    • DK Cecil is all damage, while CoD is this with supportive influence.
    • CoD has a 50% resistance to all elements, while DK Cecil only nullifies darkness.
    • DK Cecil cannot support the team in any way, CoD can.
    • DK Cecil has a higher ATK base than her.
    Overall Verdict: Cloud of Darkness doesn't win by damage that's for sure. But, what she does win in being a more sustainable unit in your team. It's not always about damage when trying to make a good and solid team which would make it is how many effective roles you can fit in your team and how many bases you can cover. CoD covers being a attacker/supporter just fine. She may not kill enemies as fast as DK Cecil, but when you need relevance, and survival she easily excels in that field cause of what she can do. So, DK Cecil for damage, and CoD for more support.

Conclusion: Cloud of Darkness is still as great as she was as a 5*, and even a 6*. If you've pulled her she is great, and welcomed addition to any team right now. So, I recommend pulling for CoD she is very useful especially in her 6* form when her support game skyrockets lol.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    Static, bwompX2, Eragon and 5 others like this.
  2. Cal

Cal Member

Dat waifu though, just saw her winning screen for the first time today and I fell inlove, if only she belonged to the superior race.

3. DanT

DanT That deaf, dumb and blind kid... VIP Supporter

CoD has been my mvp so far. Those resistences are so darn good.

4. Academia

Academia Member

What is a Dropcheck... I thought CoD sucked at filling limit gauges because she only attack once...

5. Jet Stingren

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    Dropchecks are the amount of crystals that come out after a normal attack has been used.

6. Rinny

Rinny くノ一 VIP Supporter

only thing I don't like about my CoD is that I only have a +30 mace on her lol. In my party almost entire made up of magic she carries all the physical damage with armor break and barrage spamming, which almost makes up entirely for not having any other physical damage. Def my favorite unit glad I rerolled and pulled her :] even tho I had noo idea her potential when I did get her lol.

7. Van Tristan

Van Tristan New Member

Global ID:
    what item should be placed on her? ATK based or MAG based?

8. Rinny

Rinny くノ一 VIP Supporter

I'm using mythril mace, use the best +atk you can for her

9. Jet Stingren

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
  10. Killerdemon

Killerdemon Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    WoL, Chiz, Cecil, Kef and Len
    I have her and love her... But I really hope they release some better weapon for her... I thought about building a second one to 6 but without having a second proper weapon would be a waste...

rickygck likes this.
  11. encrypt

encrypt Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Burritos, Tacos
    Ideal Esper to give her? Noted that several of her new abilities require a large amount of MP. By default, I'm giving her Ifrit as my highest AP phys dps... but Diabolos? Or does it purely depend on team makeup?

12. Killerdemon

Killerdemon Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    WoL, Chiz, Cecil, Kef and Len
    depends on your foe... for regular content or when you need the most damage possible when enemies aren't human IFRIT is the one but for some human bosses it might be better to use diabolos for that man-eater stack

encrypt likes this.
  13. Revenge

Revenge Very Cute Member VIP Supporter

Leads:
    A2
    She have an innate 125% human killer. If the boss is a human, give her Diabolos for a 175% killer. Otherwise give her Ifrit.

encrypt likes this.
  14. Jet Stingren

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    Editing this thread to match new template. Expect the following changes.

More details on the 6* skillset.
    Unit Comparsions marked with (Past) this means that this unit was will be compared to a unit when the unit was originally released in this cause CoD has been here since beta.
    I'm still gonna keep the main key things about her 5* but it will be a [Past] marked with the pro/con.
    Updated Stat Table.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    R!X likes this.
  15. HolicX

HolicX Ascended Member Supporter

Leads:
    Noctis
    @Jet Stingren I know her TMR is worst but what if equip 4 CoD TMR on someone like Rikku who have awsome LB? Auto-Limit can stack?

16. Jet Stingren

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    That would not be worth at all.

17. Revenge

Leads:
    A2
    CoD just received abilities enhancements in jp.

• Barrage goes from 4 x 80% to 5 x 100%. 320% -> 500%. With Dual Wield, this is a 1000% attack.
    • Human Slayer goes from 75% to 125%. With Man Eater she have now 175% innate kill humans.
    • Omni-Veil Instead of only increase resisting 30% to all elements, it also now increase resistence 50% to all Status. MP also goes downs from 53 to 40MP,

18. XSightZ

XSightZ Ascended Member

She becomes a beast !!

19. Revenge

Leads:
    A2
    The only problem is her slow animation... A barrage with 8 attacks is already very slow for her... With 10 attacks will be even slower. We will need to be patient :D

20. Miklos

Miklos Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    837 798 553
    Leads:
    Lightning 476 Atk
    WOW. That's nuts.