1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Overview: Dark Knight Luneth (Final Fantasy III)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Warrior of Light Bartz
    A boy that appears in the tales of the Warriors of the Light from a faraway world. An orphan, he was raised together with Arc by the Ur village elder, Topapa. He is known by his friends in the village for his energy and sense of justice, his only fault being a slight bit of recklessness. One day, while exploring the Altar Cave, Luneth receives instruction from the crystal enshrined there, and half in doubt, sets off on a journey to save the world.
    Back on track with reviews! It's early-ish in the morning and later this day I'll have a job interview.
    How have you been doing?

I'd be happy to receive some feedback on the Damage Dealer overviews. As I stated in a previous overview, I don't feel like that damage dealers don't need as much of an explanation as long as they don't have an amazingly versatile kit with a ton of different tools and tricks up their sleeves.

Dark Knight Luneth Overview by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites: (Thanks to @Nachyoz for keeping the GIFs alive!)
    [​IMG]5*
    [​IMG]6*
    [​IMG]7*

TMR: Dark Knight's Knowledge (Materia) - Increase ATK (30%)
    Increase equipment ATK (50%) and accuracy (25%) when single wielding any weapon
    Increase physical damage against demons (50%)
    STMR: Murakumo (Katana) - 168 ATK, Dark, Enables: Dark Blade - Murakumo (not great)

Overview:
    Dark Knight Luneth
    aka DKL isn't the most interesting unit, though has some fun toys to play around with.

His base stats are good with well-rounded HP, DEF and SPR alongside a high ATK stat. Passive wise he isn't bad either at all with innate 150% TDH, 50% ATK (100% with Katanas) On top of it he has 20% HP, 40% MP, 20% DEF and 50% SPR alongside 50% light and dark resistance, which isn't too bad. Interestingly enough DKL has 50% TDW, though unless you want to save MP there is no reason to use it currently.
    Blind, paralyze, confusion and petrification resistances are handy, too, though he becomes a lot more interesting with his TMR ability.

The TMR itself is already great. 30% ATK, 50% TDH and 50% demon killer? That's a 100% upgrade from Swift Hunter, an already oftenly used TMR. Equipping DKL with it grants him an additional 30% ATK, another 100% Demon / Aquatics killer, 3000 HP recover each turn and T-Cast on his Dark Blade abilities. The 3000 HP recover should stack with generic regens. The 3000 HP should recover at the start of your turn and the regen at the end of it, which is quite interesting.
    This makes him end up with a total of 200% innate TDH, 110% ATK (160% with Katanas) and 200% innate demon killer!
    Sadly his TMR build won't revolve around katanas as he has no imbues and the current dark katanas aren't very strong. Though which weapon has innate dark element and focuses on TDH? Killer Bow+!
    Not having imbues tones down his power a lot, but by equipping Fierce Bow or Cataract you can also swap to a water / wind build. Additionally if you use external imbues using Lion Heart is another alternative.

DKL comes with a few useless to niche abilities:
    Darkness and Hit All have horrible modifiers not even reaching 200% while not multicastable, making them overall bad.
    Dark Blade Kyuumei-Youtou is niche as it's a drain and often can be skipped, though does have some niche usage.
    DB (Dark Blade) Kotetsu and Ashura are also quite niche. 2 Turn 50% DEF/SPR or ATK/MAG breaks that only hit one enemy can be used for emergency situations or if you are still clearing early / easy content, though in current trials isn't strong enough to be used as an actual breaker for the majority of team compositions.

This leaves us with a handful of abilities to talk about. All of his abilities I'm talking about now except for his CD abilities are multicastable up to 3 times.

DB - Kikuichimonji as well as DB - Masamune are quite interesting to use in a few occasions. They both have a 300% modifier (500% at level 120) and while not the most amazing additional effects they aren't too bad either. Kikuichimonji costs 20% HP and fills up your party's LB gauges by 2-3 each cast (6-9 with T-Cast) and Masamune costs 30% HP though recovers everyone's HP by 2000 and MP by 20 (6000 HP and 60 MP with T-Cast). While DKL will likely not heal himself at all due to having more than 6000 HP, he can be used as a mini-healer on off turns where your healer has something else to do. The LB gauge will can be used similarly as to what Ignacio does if your chainers or perhaps other units have great LBs that you quickly want to get to.
    It's nice to have alternatives like these as a finisher as it makes him slightly more versatile.

Sadly having a 60% imperil nowadays as a finisher compared to others is quite lackluster for bursting, though there are chainers who can offer higher dark imperils such as Sephiroth if really needed. DB - Ansai is a 350% finisher (550% on lvl 120) and costs 20% HP + its 60% dark imperil.

His main finisher move has a lot of power but also is quite risky to use. DB - Ma-no-Meigeki has a 750% modifier (900% at lvl 120) that can be T-Casted for a total of 2250% or 2700%, but costs 33% HP each cast. Thus if DKL isn't full health he will die from it, though also an easy method of buffing his own ATK by 200% as once he drops below 30% of his maximum HP he will receive a 3 turn 200% ATK/DEF buff!
    If you can't back it up with heals or reraise, I highly suggest using his LB instead.

His Limit Burst while not having the highest modifier still goes up to 2200% while also buffing DKL before the damage calcs with a 100% Aquatic / Demon killer. It costs 30 LB crysts, which can be tedious to get up to if you don't use his AoE LB fill ability due to the lack of hightide passives.

Lastly DKL has two pretty mediocre CD abilities.

Dark Rebirth, available Turn 1 with a 5 turn cooldown, recovers his own HP fully, grants him a 3 turn 50% demon buff, an AoE 120% ATK/MAG buff and an AoE 100% dark resistance buff. By far the most usable utility gained out of this is the dark resistance buff as they are often harder to come by than others while also having a very high parameter in this case. The ATK/MAG buff will often be not a major upgrade to actually useless.

Scar of the Abyss, available Turn 5, is great for back to back finishing. It buffs DKL with a 2 Turn 75% aquatics / demon killer and afterwards unleashes a 1700% finisher. You can then afterwards T-Cast his Ma-no-Meigeki to also utilise the active killer buff and then if you really want to cap his LB afterwards to maintain the aquatics / demon killer buff for that turn.

How does he fare in the meta?
    Dark Knight Luneth
    is a monster against demon monsters while also having a very high aquatic killer, though the latter monster type is rare.

He focuses mainly on finishing and has some fun side utility, which often other finishers do not offer. His damage output is roughly on par with Nameless Gunner Jake, though NG Jake with STMRs (which can be provided by a friend) is way way stronger while focusing on machine / stone killers, whereas DKL focuses on demon / aquatics killers.
    Technically DKL is a really strong finisher currently as many many many bosses are partially or fully demon type monsters, however it can be finicky to use him due to his HP sacrifice mechanics similar to ... well any other Dark Knight. Especially his Ma-no-Meigeki can be very difficult to use if you don't want to lose your defensive buffs on DKL. A T-Cast of it costs a whopping 99% HP, though if you are fine with sacrificing some damage output you can use his drain ability with the last cast.

On top of having HP cost abilities as a Dark Knight the build I provided for Killer Bow+ is... frail. 6300 HP can be a problem, sacrificing a materia slot for a tank TMR such as Hero's Vow - Earth might be worth considering.

Overall DKL isn't too exciting as a unit. Beastly against demons but having unknown future enhancements / series boss bonuses I can only tell you that he isn't that future proof. Currently he's strong but within the next two months we will receive CG Cid and later down the road Regina, who are both massive up to this day in JP.

DKL is strong right now and will be for a while. If you ended up pulling him you should give him a try against any demon trial. He isn't locked to dark and can use any elemental weapon and ideally either an external imbue or a 2h Elemental Bow if you have them. With STMRs you can also use his own STMR or perhaps Bahamut Tear if you really feel like it.

As a 6* unit he isn't really good. I'd not recommend using any 6 star finishers anymore as most 7 star chainers are a lot stronger than them, though his TMR will be part of many unit's BiS.

Build + Maths:
    Killer Bow+ (118 ATK, 2h, Dark)
    Dragoon Helmet (40 ATK, 28 DEF)
    Genji Armor (20 ATK, 45 DEF)
    2x Marshal Gloves (80 ATK, 100% TDH)
    Dark Knight's Knowledge (30% ATK, 50% TDH) + 30% ATK
    Equip Bow
    Past Regrets (60% ATK, -10% SPR)
    ADV V (40% ATK/DEF/SPR

Stats with Titan 3*:
    6324 HP
    464 MP
    2046 ATK
    506 DEF
    466 SPR

Highest burst includes his own 200% ATK buff from <30% HP as well as his 60% dark imperil. Though I'll also include a 100% dark imperil as option.

Turn X: 2582^2 x 27 x 4 x 1.6 x 1.5 = 1728014860
    -> 16% higher than Ignacio ( 1,483,843,953 )
    -> <1% higher than Nameless Gunner Jake ( 1,693,641,960 )
    -> 26% lower than Duke ( 2,331,589,845 )
    -> 36% lower than Ang ( 2,661,975,555 )
    -> 48% lower than Ideal Veritas of the Flame ( 2,848,668,840 )

With 100% imperil: 2,160,018,576

Character Design: 8/10
    Sprite: 9/10
    Finisher: 8~8.5/10
    Trust Master Reward: 9.5/10
    STMR: 8/10
    Arena: 4/10
    Limit Burst: 7/10
    Future Proof: 6/10
    Free 2 Play: 7.5/10
    Pay 2 Play: 8.5/10
    Personal Rating: 7.5/10
    Optimal Rating: 8/10

[On-Banner Reviews]
    [​IMG] Onion Knight Refia (5*)

Did you pull and if so did you get lucky? The step up is generally great from what I can see, though sadly it's on a banner that can be skipped quite easily.
    At the very least DKL has an absolutely amazing TMR!

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  2. Princeof1904

Princeof1904 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    First!!!
    Thx for your fast posting and your effort. :D Rally appreciating this.

Memel0rd likes this.
  3. TheKillingJoke

TheKillingJoke Shenaniganator VIP

Global ID:
    833 586 843
    Leads:
    Karten, Anti Matsuri Tsukiko, Kryla
    Was lucky enough to pull him one time when i hunted for boners. His tmr will be farmed, but i don't think i will get a second one anytime soon. Cid. Akstar. F2P.

Your overview says he's better than i initially thought :)

BigNBald5, Regalia and Memel0rd like this.
  4. Carnefix

Carnefix Taking a break from News Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter German Moderator Arena Runner Up S2 Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    416 022 660
    Leads:
    Zeno, Esther, Circe, Cid
    Thanks for the review. ::up::

::ink::

GreenXia, TheKillingJoke and Memel0rd like this.
  5. TheKillingJoke

TheKillingJoke Shenaniganator VIP

Global ID:
    833 586 843
    Leads:
    Karten, Anti Matsuri Tsukiko, Kryla
    ::ink:: That ain't not being the engelish plural form for Bonus?

Regalia likes this.
  6. Frosty Toast

Frosty Toast Arashi's Clone VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    511 684 224
    Leads:
    Event, 2B, Raegen
    Thank you for the review! :) How's school?

7. Frosty Toast

Frosty Toast Arashi's Clone VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    511 684 224
    Leads:
    Event, 2B, Raegen
    Tsk tsk tsk

nox and TheKillingJoke like this.
  8. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Warrior of Light Bartz
    Don't have it atm

Frosty Toast likes this.
  9. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    362 169 161
    Leads:
    Zeno boi
    118?
    Edgelord Luneth is looking quite fine. Thanks for the review Meme.

10. Lótus Haddock

Lótus Haddock "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    To someone like me who don't have Marshal Gloves or Clous Cloak, Luneth TMR would be amazing...

11. PierreCroissant

PierreCroissant Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Old guy
    95?
  12. Archaon

Archaon Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    The Tea Party
    Thanks for the review, Meme. I am surprised there wasn't just a little DK gush from you! I got super lucky this morning with ticket pulls and pulled 2 DKL and 1 OK.R on 8 4* Tickets and 19 3* tickets. I am set for this event. While he isn't super useful for the most part, I do admit he is a little fun.

Fenix808 and PierreCroissant like this.
  13. Sir_Renan

Sir_Renan Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Tnks for the review Meme.....

I think DKL is a unit to skip. I only want one to farm.....until now I only have 2 unei :/

14. Xacques

Xacques "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Reberta, VD, Tidus,Lila, Barba, Mateus
    100<x
    Thank you for the review sir!!

This may change my mind about him a little bit although I only pulled one of him unintentionally

15. Act Chill

Act Chill Well-Known Member

I got Refia and Luneth using 4, 4 star tickets. Amazing! Used 25, regular tickets and got Squal. Got Auron with the 10+1 ticket today too. Super lucky rates for me. Problem is now you need dupes for 7 star. Somehow I think I am being trolled to use gems...lol Must hold out for meta units

Fenix808 likes this.
  16. toooskies

toooskies Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Thanks for the review!

Some things about damage dealer reviews:
    - Since damage dealer usefulness is more about short-term utility, evaluating their usefulness on recent and upcoming trials is relevant. For DKL, Welter is the only expected (half) demon in the short term (unless we get a GL-exclusive Echidna/GL Malboro reborn), until we hit Ultros & Typhon (at which time DKL will probably be significantly power crept).
    - There's a lot of dimensions/niches in damage dealing. You have chaining or finishing as one dimension; first turn/burst turn/sustained as another dimension; killers as another; element as another; damage type as another; chain family (or for a finisher, ability to fit inside a chain) is another; turn compatibility (i.e. matching other popular chain family members' turn patterns) is another. While you can cover (and do) cover these in paragraph descriptions, explicitly listing the (best) niches the units can fill would be nice.
    - A robust support kit is a great feature to have on finishers (i.e. they can support up until burst turns), and you mention it in DKL but it kind of gets lost in the unit grade. A finisher that can heal/AOE fill LB/AOE restore MP until killshot time has some decent value.

Cylian likes this.
  17. lilblue

lilblue Well-Known Member

Thanks memelord.

I agree with that tho. Not sure if you should add that or toooskies makes his own reviews in your comments thread

18. doanquocviet

doanquocviet Active Member

19. toooskies

toooskies Ascended Member

Global ID:
    I’ve been on the verge of quitting the game for months, so I’m not the one you want to count on for anything but too-negative editorial commentary ;)

lilblue likes this.