1. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

2. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Elza [Brave Frontier]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Ephemeral God VIP

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    She's the royal princess of Bauriura, and the sister to Alice. That's right, we're talking about Elza and how well she compares in GL meta. As usual, leave comments, and questions below. And lastly, enjoy the review.

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [5*] | [​IMG] [6*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Weaknesses [6*]: None | Resistances: +50% Resist to Dark Attacks (Passive)
    Trust Mastery Award: Demon Scythe (Weapon): ATK +120, Adds Dark Element to Attacks
    Limit Break: 270% Dark AoE Damage -> 390% Dark AoE Damage

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    5* 878 / 2662 (240) 41 / 123 (40) 37 / 112 (24) 32 / 97 (16) 29 / 88 (16) 31 / 95 (16) 3 4
    6* 1142 / 3460 (390) 53 / 160 (65) 48 / 146 (34) 42 / 126 (26) 38 / 114 (26) 41 / 124 (26) 3 4

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Enfeebling Slash 140% 1 Hit Phys ST + 30% Chance to Poison/Disease 12 9 [*****]
    Man Eater +50% Physical Damage to Human. - 15 [*****]
    Lance ST 80% Attack w/ 20% HP Drain & ST 30% Attack w/ 10% MP Drain 10 26 [*****]
    ATK +20% Boost ATK stat by 20% - 42 [*****]
    Dark Prayer Self +50% ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR Buff for 4 Turns + Cure all Ailments 28 53 [*****]
    Ravaging Blow 200% 1 Hit Phys ST + -50% DEF/SPR Debuff for 3 Turns 36 80 [*****]
    Dark Reaper +50% ATK w/ Lance + 50% Dark Resist - 1 [******]
    Demon Slayer 50% Physical Damage vs Demon - 21 [******]
    HP +20% Boosts users HP by 20% - 39 [******]
    Auto-Referesh Heal 5% MP per turn - 50 [******]
    Dark Aegis 30% DEF/SPR when HP drops below 30% - 68 [******]
    Dark Favor 90% HP, Self revive chance for 3 turns. 30 84 [******]
    Madness Rush 3x 140% Phys RT Attacks + 100% LB Fill Rate Self Buff for 3 Turns 42 100 [******]

Pros:
    Good ATK Passives: In total, she gets a +70% ATK boost which for meta is very good. Most units around would get no higher than +50% even some to come in the future. There will be some that will break the standard of having more of a ATK passive. But, Elza on GL is the first to do so.

Auto Revive Buff: This is yet another future buff that would've been introduced to games. Her self revive is actually more niche than it is op. She if RNG was in her favor could use this move to potentially take on a fatal one hit killing attack (which isn't common / existing in GL) and simple come back to life. And her auto revive is 90% which is great cause she wouldn't need a heal afterwards.

SELF Status Cure: This helps her cause your healer wouldn't need to be bothered with wasting a turn to heal the status and can be instructed to do something else like heal, or well do anything else. In addition, she also gets a strong +50% to all her stats which is the highest, but not game changing. It's not to noticeable from +45% buffs like Embolden, or Meditate respectively.

Cons:
    Limited Weapons: Her weapon pool is really bad. She can only hold 1 type of weapon and that is spears. I get that tends to be the case from the game she was from (Brave Frontier) but as a FFBE standpoint she would miss out on some great free weapons cause not to many spears are well good right now.

Dark Aegis: Normally, a SELF protection buff wouldn't be a bad thing. But, if you were to be relying on a stat buff from Cheer, Focus, or even her own move Dark Prayer this move wouldn't activate cause of it's buff not being higher than the mentioned moves. Which in this sense would make it feel wasted. You can argue that it could be a trump card if your healer/supporter or Elza herself was unable to use these moves again. But, that almost is never the case in battles.

Enhancements:

Name Effect MP Materials Needed
    Dark Reaper +1 Increase ATK (75%) when equipped with a spear Increase dark resistance (75%) - Support T1 x15, Support T2 x10, Support T3 x8, Support T4 x2
    Dark Reaper +2 ncrease ATK (100%) when equipped with a spear Increase dark resistance (100%) - Support T1 x23, Support T2 x15, Support T3 x12, Support T4 x4
    Ravaging Blow +1 Physical damage (250%) to one enemy Decrease DEF/SPR (55%) for 3 turns to one enemy 36 Power T1 x15, Power T2 x10, Power T3 x8, Power T4 x2
    Ravaging Blow +2 Physical damage (300%) to one enemy Decrease DEF/SPR (60%) for 3 turns to one enemy 36 Power T1 x23, Power T2 x15, Power T3 x12, Power T4 x4, Power T5 x1
    Madness Rush +1 Physical damage combo (3 times, 2x each, 6x total) to random enemies Increase LB gauge fill rate (150%) for 3 turns to caster 42 Power T1 x20, Power T2 x15, Power T3 x10, Power T4 x4, Power T5 x1
    Madness Rush +2 Physical damage combo (4 times, 2x each, 800% total) to random enemies Decrease dark resistance (50%) to all enemies Increase LB gauge fill rate (150%) for 3 turns to caster 42 Power T1 x30, Power T2 x23, Power T3 x15, Power T4 x8, Power T5 x2
    Dark Reaper: Now Elza gets a total of +120% when she's holding a spear. That's a massive step up from where she was before. I would honestly say that Elza has crept her way back into team slots thanks to this powerful passive alone. There will be units that will scale up to her in the future. But, for now. Elza is a great contender for team selections now.

Ravaging Blow: I feel as if the breaks are a bit low for enhancements. I mean yes, a +10% boost from a base is a nice jump especially when this hits on an enemy. However, I was expecting more of a +70% but maybe it's a bit too early for the meta for that kind of debuffs. But, 60% is still great for damage potential.

Madness Rush: Mother of god... 800% total modifier. One small problem I can point is the animation in itself... The damage will be 1600% if she has DW and let's not forget the dark resistance debuff which would add MORE damage... This buff is well... insane. But, here's the problem with the animation of 16 hits would take forever! It would be Lightning all over again with much more damage on the field.

PvP Arena:
    [Before] In short, Elza is very good in PvP Arena. She has innate Human Slayer with a +70% ATK passive. This is great cause well almost every unit in PvP Arena is considered a human typed enemy. There are some that aren't human but still. She also has a good debuff in Ravaging Blow which makes her able to deal, and focus down other opposing threats to a team. Not to mention, if Diablos was her esper she could bump both her slayers to 100% cause he gives slayers to the same type.

Also, her move Madness Rush can be very niche here as it gives her a LB fill rate boost which in this type of content would be usable while her LB doesn't do anything
    spectacular besides damage but the fact that it can be filled quicker and it's a AoE which is something she is missing could very well help her in wiping teams down.

[After] Madness Rush.. 16 hits... Human Slayer, Dark debuff.. Easy 999 hits. She could if RNG allows hit wipe a whole team by herself... Which is wow really. I would greatly use her in Arena cause she's foolproof there.

Trust Mastery Award:
    Death Scythe is pretty much the Excalibur from Cecil. Same ATK boost of +120, except hers adds darkness to attacks, much like how Excalibur adds light to attacks. I fully recommend this TM cause this scythe (spear) is gonna be one of the best ones for a good & long time really. So, I would try to grind this one out ASAP.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Cloud of Darkness
    • CoD has a stronger base Man Eater at 75%, while Elza is at 50%
    • CoD resists all elements, and 30% to aliments. Elza only resists Dark
    • Elza has the higher ATK total passive at 75%, while CoD is at 50%
    Overall Verdict: Elza would win here in terms of damage cause of obvious ATK passive, and pretty nice attacking moves. Her Madness Rush (if used on one enemy) is still more powerful than CoD call of the Void after the DEF ignore. CoD is a much better supporter than she is. While she does have the higher DEF/SPR Debuffs at 50%. CoD has much better options like element resist buff, healing all status aliments to teammates and etc. CoD while her weapon selection isn't as great either has more options than Elza. In damage, I give it to Elza, and in support I give it to CoD.

[​IMG] - Delita
    • Elza has stronger debuffs than Delita.
    • Elza has more offensive options than Delita
    • Elza has a much higher ATK total passive than Delita.
    • Delita due to his Ambition can amplify his DPS quite a bit due to frequent crits.
    Overall Verdict: Elza beats Delita in every way possible sadly. Elza having a 10% stronger debuff than Delita isn't too noticeable when damage is applied. But, the simple fact is to have the stronger debuffs on a enemy that small extra damage would make your team able to win. Elza's Madness Rush does more damage for a total of 420% after all three hits are counted on one enemy. While Delita has Barrage which is 320% after all the hits are counted for. So, yeah. Elza beats Delita in effective supporting, and damage.

~ More Units will be added to this after more enhancements are revealed, I do not think anyone really matches up to Elza in similar ability with enhancements. So, until then please hold until they are revealed. ~

Conclusion:
    [Before] Elza is pretty good for this meta, and with her niche skills carrying her like the auto revive make her very prominent to use in the later meta. So, I would try to pull for Elza she's actually really strong, and pretty niche in certain situations where she may be called to do an effective job.

[After] Elza is amazing now more than ever. She was good on original release. But, now she is great with her enhancements. I would fully recommend that you do enhance her for her new abilities they are very useful all of them are. Her own TM with that Madness Rush will be amazing to use in my honest opinion. So, I would 100% raise her now if you haven't she's great as support, and DPS now.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    bwompX2, Wolfgang, K.Abuse and 11 others like this.
  2. Rinny

Rinny くノ一 VIP Supporter

[​IMG]
    thanks jet was excited for this one, hoping I get her to replace chizu

Saucisse and Jet Stingren like this.
  3. Valen

Valen Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Waifu
    I wasn't any impressioned at the beginning but once I analyzed more carefully her skill set I realized the great unit that she could be. Finally a good exclusive unit after the halloween debacle.

4. Abudaman

Abudaman Ascended Member Supporter

Thats jet! We'll see if I get a rainbow while pulling for my goddess <3

5. Asf

Asf Dead ace VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau
    If you guys do get her.. remember to grind her LB before awakening her.. she need her's at a high/maxed level.

Valen likes this.
  6. Jet Stingren

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    Nah, her LB isn't one of those LBs to use pots on. Typically, LBs worth leveling are ones that raise stats, hit for -% Ignored damage, or ones that gives usable buffs are the ones to level. I guess it would be considerable since she fill fast, but it's pretty meh as a LB.

Akari and Abudaman like this.
  7. Asf

Asf Dead ace VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau
    I agree with her meh LB.. but well.. if her lb is at the lowest level, then all her LB fill skill will become useless.. and her only aoe wont hurt as much... meh

8. Sir Vincent

Sir Vincent The eternal student Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Shadow 200 ATK
    Noticed how Elza doesn't get to be compared to Lightning/Luneth even though she's indeed a dmg dealer as well.
    Since her banner is going together with Luneth, I don't suggest hard pulling or aiming for Elza, but Luneth instead(if you really want a base 5* attacker)
    However, if you happen get her, she's still a good unit.

9. Jet Stingren

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    Reason why she is not compared to them is cause of their innate DW which by default automatically beats her cause of the overwhelming niche it has. When I compare I try to list units that are as close to the reviewed unit as possible. Luneth/Lightning blow Elza out the water.

xTeKt0n1c likes this.
  10. Sir Vincent

Sir Vincent The eternal student Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Shadow 200 ATK
    I understand. My point is since we have 2 banners going side by side, aiming for Luneth would be more beneficial.
    I only want to make it easier for newer players to decide where to invest if their resources are limited.

SteveTran likes this.
  11. Kisangre

Kisangre Ascended Member Supporter

I might have to ::whale:: over a new waifu

12. PureS

PureS Ascended Member

She can be a side bitch along with ultimate waifu titith::joy::

13. HeartnetXIII

HeartnetXIII Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    This one is really hard to get...
    Great unit in awful banner...

I like her skills, and her appearance, also her companion, Tilith always be an amazing unit to get..
    but there are Karl and Seria... only good for increasing Karma Bonus in this event, in a other word, a "Meh" unit

if you like to GAMBLE, this one is "better" than previous banner...::sarcasm::

14. Vash426

Vash426 VIP VIP Supporter

I actually am excited for Karl's TM. I got one on one account and three on my other pulling for Tilith. I like his because of the 20% to Atk, 20% to MAG and 10% HP. That's awesome. That and the Tilith I got. I hope I get more Karl's as I try for that other Tilith. Also Seria's TM is awesome for my Cecil so that is good too.

Valen likes this.
  15. xTeKt0n1c

xTeKt0n1c Chips ‘n’ Gravy VIP Supporter

Leads:
    N/A
    N/A
    I agree with this completely. Lightning and Luneth have an extra ability slot due to native DW and can also equip more types of weapons which opens up more potential too.

Elza is a great solo artist as she can do a lot of things and cover a lot of bases. However in a 5 party team she gets equalled or beaten. Rikku is the autorevive goddess, tilllth is the healer and party status remover (just give her a ribbon or her own TM), DPs can come from a lot of different units so she isn't a anything special in that department. As you said jet cheer, focus is way better than her self buff becuase those buffs affect the party. Her def/spirit down is really nice but a lot of top tier resist these debuffs and I would rather use an all round FB.

JChunks likes this.
  16. TuffHunter

TuffHunter Member Supporter

Agreed but consider if you whaled and had dual wield on elza with two of scythe... wouldnt she outdamage lightning and luneth since she has a base +70% attack and a move that is better than barrage?

For the innate dual wielders to get that same attack boost they need a katana and an ability slot to get +50% attack.

17. xTeKt0n1c

Leads:
    N/A
    N/A
    With being forced to equip DW equipped she loses a crucial ability slot which can be matched with other TMs. There is little between them all but lightning and luneth are a tiny bit better. Lighting for versatility and luneth for being an extreme hitter with that all important paralyse resist (which saves yet another ability slot).

18. Shuy1n

Shuy1n Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elza with 750 attack
    Her LB fills so quick! (with the special materia from mogking). that's my impression when I use her.
    And she really needs DW too.
    Btw, aside of her TMR, what's the best weapon for her? Gungnir?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  19. xTeKt0n1c

Leads:
    N/A
    N/A
    I am to figure it what makes Elza's linit break so overpowering compared to others. I understand she does 10x hits dark element (so plenty of chain bonuses which is definitely powerful) but I don't see how she is supposedly OP compared to others. For example I can see lightning when wielding an Excalibur dong the same sort of damage due to a 20x light element chain.

20. Orbis

Orbis Ascended Member

Global ID:
    At this point, we're comparing apples to oranges to pears. Strictly in terms of ATK Power, the Trinity of Physical DPS are pretty much on par with each other. The significant differentiating factor for Elza is her innate Man Eater and Demon killers. How many future Bosses will be Human or Demon? Not to mention Madness Rush at 420%. That makes her the current Queen of Single Target DPS. When I evaluate a unit, I look at their overall effectiveness against Bosses (because trash mobs are easy) OR viability in PvP Arena. She's got both. But yeah, for newer players or those with limited resources, I would pull for Luneth during his banner over Elza, simply because Elza requires a great deal more work to reach her potential.

Sollero and Orpheus like this.