1. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

2. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Gilgamesh [Final Fantasy 5]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Ephemeral God VIP

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    He's known as Exdeaths most prominent captain, but even better known as the wandering samurai who wonders across all lands in search of very rare and special weapons. That's right, we're talking about the legendary Gilgamesh and how well he compares to the Global meta. As usual, leave comments and questions below. And lastly, I hope you enjoy the review! :]

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [5*] | [​IMG] [6*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Genji Gloves (Accessory): +10% ATK/MAG, Enables Dual Wield
    Limit Break: Self 5 Turn +50% ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR -> Self 5 Turn +74% ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    5* 921 / 2792 (360) 38 / 115 (40) 38 / 114 (16) 34 / 104 (16) 29 / 87 (16) 29 / 89 (16) 10 1
    6* 1198 / 3630 (510) 50 / 150 (65) 49 / 149 (26) 45 / 136 (26) 38 / 114 (26) 38 / 116 (26) 12 1

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Jump 1 Turn Jump + 180% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack 7 1 [*****]
    Weird Dance 50% Sleep 9 5 [*****]
    Shell ST +20% SPR buff for three turns 4 16 [*****]
    Protect ST +20% DEF buff for three turns 4 18 [*****]
    Gale Cut 200% AoE Wind element attack 23 35 [*****]
    DEF +20% Boosts user DEF stat by 20% - 48 [*****]
    HP +30% Boosts users HP by 30% - 57 [*****]
    Snowfall 180% AoE 1 Hit Physical Attack + Ignore 50% DEF 45 80 [*****]
    Weapon Collector +40% ATK when equipped with Katana & +30% ATK when equipped with Sword & +20% ATK when equipped with Greatsword - 1 [******]
    ATK +20% Boosts users ATK stat by 20% - 24 [******]
    Auto-Referesh Recover 5% MP per Turn - 41 [******]
    High Jump Boost Jump Damage by 100% - 51 [******]
    Tri Attack 100% ST 3 Hit Physical Attack (x3 Damage) 32 100 [******]

Pros:
    Absurdly Open Weaponpool: I know you readers see this right, but Gilgamesh is able to equip every possible weapon in the game. As to be expected from someone who collects rare weapons from various worlds. But, while he can do this he will get a main focus on Katanas, Swords, and Greatswords as they tie in with his passive of "Weapon Collector" which would give him more ATK, so I would go with one of those to get as high of ATK as you can on Gilgamesh.

Snowfall: To have this on a AoE this would honestly make Gilgamesh scary in arena in combine with his 40-60% ATK up passive that he can aquire from his weapon collector. But, the main reason why this is really scary cause of the AoE Defense Ignore which is crucial for a really strong DPS attacker and he excels in this in full fashion. This move easily will be a great help for any sort of hard content, and trials to be coming up in the upcoming months.

Amazing LB: While it's only a SELF LB, this LB really works on Gilgamesh as it's higher than any give-able buffs possible currently in the Global version. There are other units that can raise as high as his like Ramza, and Cecil. Gilgamesh as a standalone attacker would greatly benefit cause it raises all of his stats which makes it better in value than Ramza, and Cecil. Cecils is AoE of course, but I mean in a total value.

High Damage Modifiers: If you notice, you see all of his main attacking move have passable modifiers for good damage. His AoE clearly pass over 200% in total modifiers, and his ST move is a totaled 300% modifier which hasn't been achieved by any units besides DKC. There have been some closes one yes. But, as it stands now Gilgamesh has the more higher mods of damage.

Cons:
    Honestly, there's nothing to wrong with Gilgamesh in the current meta. As a DPS attacker, he has the merits of what he needs to do. He has high modifiers, great stats, DEF ignore as a extra bonus etcetc. He pretty much checks out in the department of what he needs to do and that's being a DPS Attacker.

PvP Arena:
    In PvP Arena, Gilgamesh is mainly dangerous to deal with cause of Divider, and or Gale Slash to snipe off Cecils sense 9/10 of them use Golem as their esper which gives the wind weakness. But, Divider is where he really shines in the most cause of the -50% DEF ignore. This is great for him, and your team cause he can easily snipe off units while having dealing great damage to the opponents side of the team leaving them more weakened for your other units. So, Gilgamesh would make a excellent unit for PvP Arena.

Trust Mastery Award:
    This is one of those.. YOU MUST GET THAT TMs this TM takes the best TM we already have "Dual Wield" and gives it a Hero Ring boost on side of it. This makes it really good for any real DPS unit cause they don't have to 1: Take up a materia spot for Dual Wield. 2: They can still keep the boost of the Hero Ring since all real DPS units hold dual Hero Rings, or something of the like. This TM is simply great, and I fully recommend you get it.

Comparing to Other Units

[​IMG] - Bartz
    • Gilgamesh has a higher base ATK, and a slightly higher ATK boost passive. Gilgamesh 60% max, as to Bartz 50% max.
    • Bartz has better supportive options in Entrust, Life Entrust.
    • Bartz has overall more passives than Gilgamesh.
    • Gilgamesh has more weapons than Bartz.
    Overall Verdict: Gilgamesh does do more damage than Bartz easily without too much effort even. Bartz does have some ridiculous modifiers of his own but they only work when there is 1 enemy on the field otherwise the damage becomes scattered and I am namely talking about his Barrage like moves. Gilgamesh on the other hand will always give the enemies on the field the full modifier of the moves he decides to use. In support, Bartz is better than Gilgamesh since Gilgamesh doesn't really do any sort of team support outside of Shell, and Protect which at this point are hugely outclassed.

Conclusion:
    Gilgamesh is a great offensive unit for the meta that's rolling on now. He'll also last quite a bit of time before he is to be replaced cause well he does everything you would need him to do. I would try to pull for Gilgamesh if you can cause he's actually worth it in the end.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Loren, lorys31, Hillgigas209 and 17 others like this.
  2. Gnormal

Gnormal Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Leo,Chiz,Vaan, Kefka
    Man o Man, please let me pull this guy!

Auror likes this.
  3. Arinoch

Arinoch Ascended Member Supporter

Yeah seriously. Who doesn't love Gilgamesh?! Not only was he the shining star of FFV, but he basically links all the final fantasy universes. Perfect for this game.

4. Emeiru

Emeiru Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orly
    I never got the desired units from the Brave Frontier event, hopefully my tide of luck will change! Gilgamesh is easily my most favorite character in FFV, and he looks promising in Exvius, I love how he has all physical oriented, just like how you would have faced him in FFV.

5. MartyrsDieYoung

MartyrsDieYoung Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    Luneth
    Shout out to Seifer and Odin for releasing him from the void.

6. Asf

Asf Dead ace VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau
    The cons is that he doesnt have any elemental coverage. It might not be significant right now, but when some of the better unit comes, he will be pale in comparison in terms of dmg. He is a straight dps unit with nothing else.

A good comparison should be with luneth instead of bartz.. which is a quite similar type unit to him.

Loptr and Shinigami like this.
  7. PureS

PureS Well-Known Member

His cons is : RainbowCrystal unit

Loptr, Ello, Kuplex and 3 others like this.
  8. leytachi

leytachi Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    963 524 267
    I've no luck / never got any 5* base pulls. Will Gilgamesh break the curse? I hope he will. ::=3::

9. Sir Vincent

Sir Vincent The eternal student Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Shadow 200 ATK
    His LB is quite useless because you deal less damage when using his LB than just Cheers and attack.
    Gilgamesh is very strong, amazing now and when he's weaker later on, he will get his enhancements which makes him great again.
    The only problem is his 5* base :(

10. Vayhn

Vayhn Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, another 5* base I'll most likely not get anyway.

Lilith and Luneth banners have been good lessons to me. I'm still amazed to see how many players seem to have one of them in PVP.

I'll try once for the sake of trying, then I'll keep on saving Lapis.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  11. MaxGalette

MaxGalette Member Supporter

Only 7k lapis left and no Tillith, should i try 11 pull ? :/

12. Asf

Asf Dead ace VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau
    Just do it!!

13. MaxGalette

MaxGalette Member Supporter

Ahah. And no Zidane too. Maybe just for the TM that i need a lot

14. Auror

Auror Well-Known Member

::doink:: Look at the lantern, look at the lantern, you feel your eyes tired...very tired... RGN you will let me pull Gilgamesh...

One of the many uses of a tonberry ::=3::

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    disposed and Vash426 like this.
  15. Virsago

Virsago Active Member Supporter

GILGAMESH I SHALL SUMMON YOU! RainbowCrystalRainbowCrystalRainbowCrystal (attempting to use the power of positive thinking!)::imember::

Auror and Vash426 like this.
  16. HolicX

HolicX Ascended Member Supporter

Leads:
    Noctis
    @Jet Stingren hi Jet, i have 1 question: Why Gilgamesh have low score on Altema when even he have enchanment skill?

17. PureS

PureS Well-Known Member

Here is OP unit recipe :
    -Multihit
    -Specialize in one element
    -have elemental resist down skill
    -have def ignore skill
    -have atleast 40% atk passive
    -have OP element weapon for him

List of OP unit in japan : tidus , eileen , orlandu , veritas of the dark . Japan release an OP banner every 2 month . First power creep in global will be orlandu

n1n3 and HolicX like this.
  18. Orie

Orie Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Whatever is the most useful
    As always a great review but I'm missing the comparison to the other 5* base dps we got atm especialy Elza considering she has no innate dw like Luneth and Lightning.

19. tonylaijwo

tonylaijwo Well-Known Member

True to that!

20. PrezObama

PrezObama Ascended Member Supporter

Ok, so as a F2P player who has been hoarding summon tickets (I have 54 banked right now and over 7000 lapis) should I blow my load here seeing as I already have Bartz and 3 Ex Death or should I just continue to wait for Orlandu and keep stockpiling to give me the highest odds possible to pull him? I have no Lightning, no Luneth, but do have a DKC who will be getting dual wield and barrage within the month when it comes to high DPS. Bartz and CoD are my other 6 star physical attackers.