1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Overview: High Seraph Ultima (Final Fantasy Tactics)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Warrior of Light Bartz
    A being from the tales of auracite told in the faraway land of Ivalice who was existentialized by absolute truth. An "angel of blood" who commands ultimate power, whose deeds rise above good and evil. Leader of the mythical demons known as the Lucavi, she was resurrected by possessing Ramza's sister, Alma.
    Mages after mages, feels like JP.

High Seraph Ultima Overview by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG]5*
    [​IMG]6*
    [​IMG]7*

TMR: Untrue Saint (Materia) - Increase MAG (30%) when equipped with a hat
    Increase MAG (30%) when equipped with a robe
    STMR: High Seraph's Dagger (Dagger) - 98 ATK, 167 MAG,
    Increase modifier (0.75x): Perfect Ultima Sword
    Increase modifier (1.5x): Arcane Magicks - Ultima, Ultima, Ultima Blow
    Increase modifier (2x): Ultima Sword

Overview:
    Ultima
    or also known as Altima for some reason is a mage that originally came a lot later than Elly though due to the GL changes to the banner schedule they are pretty much back to back and for some of you you'll have to decide between these two options.

Ultima comes with bases very similar to Elly in pretty much any area with low HP/DEF, good SPR and huge MAG.
    Passive wise they are also quite similar. Ultima with her own TMR goes up to an innate 190% MAG with 60% MTDW as well as 20% HP, 60% SPR and 70% MP + 5% MP refresh. An additional and very important factor regarding Ultima is her 100% chance to survive a fatal hit over 30% HP, which can be crucial for threshholds or strong turn based actions. It's also a trait that made Sol very popular in JP immediately.
    Ultima on top of it has permanent 10% magic mitigation and 20% magic evasion.
    She's resistant against silence, confusion and disease while having 100% innate earth resistance.

I won't take it into account in the math section, but if you don't have high MAG buffs featured on your team Ultima has a pretty high chance to buff herself up. She has a 40% chance to counter any attack with a self 150% MAG buff that lasts 1 turn as well as a 50 MP recover (max 1). This can be very signficant to an irrelevant counter depending on your team composition.

Being capable to chain with other chain families is always nice, though it might be a bit weird to see that Ultima can not only chain with the Tornado family (though doesn't seem to spark properly due to a 1 frame difference) and... the AT family? Not too common to see mages with AT frames. Her AT move Almagest isn't huge either with a 450% modifier (600% at lvl 120) though does have an ice, fire and lightning 60% imperil.
    Realistically I don't see many situations you'd find yourself in where you want to use them but... nice to have?

Multi-cast is a requirement nowadays to be top tier meta in most occasions as a damage dealer. Ultima, while having permanent W-Cast of her offensive abilities and her CD abilities also has access to Quad-cast on ALL abilities through her CD and her LB and can easily be maintained. So any ability you see is almost always being able to be multi-casted alongside 3 other ones.
    On top of it, Ultima already has a Turn 1 Quad-cast, not only making her ridiculously broken in Arena similar to Trance Terra, but also enables cool combos.

Her main damage ability is Arcane Magicks - Ultima. It starts off as a 600% modifier with each stack a 250% increase up to 1850%! At lvl 120 it goes up to 750% - 2000%. This makes Ultima pretty much the way stronger version of Trance Terra with her Chaos Wave, but if you really want them to you can chain them together. Trance Terra has Quad Cast up way less than Ultima, but perhaps for 10 man trials it's enough.

Her Limit Burst helps her maintain the Quad Cast everytime her CD isn't up. It's a 2700% non-elemental finisher at max, though enables Quad-Cast for the following 3 turns.

Her CD abilities are partially very good. 3 out of 4 can be used on Turn 1 and also used alongside Arcane Magicks - Ultima with her Quad-Cast, making them very easy to fit into any rotation as well as using them right at the start.

For the optimal damage Return is her best CD ability. It has a 4 turn cooldown and is available Turn 1, filling up your party's LB by 7.5 and her own by 7.5 for a total of 15 on Ultima herself, grants everyone a 200% LB fillrate buff and Ultima herself Quad-Cast for the following 2 turns. Which means on your Turn 1 Quad-Cast you can already enable Quad-Cast for the following turns.

If you are lacking SPR breaks, you might even consider Disempower a massive option. It has a strong MP drain with the same CD as Return but also has a 1 Turn 80% SPR break, 3 Turn 70% SPR break and 5 turn 60% SPR break. An 80% SPR break for 2 turns compared to a 60% or even 70% break is a large upgrade in damage.

Dispelja is yet another ability that can be fit into your rotation at any point but if used properly has a lot of potential. It has a huge 20 turn cooldown though it dispels all enemy BUFFS and dispels all ally DEBUFFS. I can't explain to you how huge this can be, especially on a damage dealer. Maintaining your buffs while getting rid off debuffs is already a big deal but also removing enemy buffs without having to re-apply breaks is even sexier.

How does she fare in the meta?
    High Seraph Ultima
    is a strong mage with damage potential very similar to Sophia and Elly, being right in between them. Her by far highest damage output is locked to non-elemental damage, which can either be a good as well as a bad thing as non-elemental resistance / immunity exists nowadays but is never a weakness.

Technically Sophia and Elly have one more element at their disposal. Sophia focuses on Dark and Fire whereas Elly on Wind and Earth for chaining, though Elly can also be used as a water / fire / earth finisher at the same time. Regarding elemental versatility Ultima is definitely lacking in these two.

However since Ultima's highest MAG build is a TDW build without limited TMRs it's very easy to grant her more survivability without losing major stats as well as enhancing both rods with defensive enhancements. On top of her ignore fatal damage passive and 10% magic resistance this can make Ultima very bulky and reliable.

Overall Ultima is a powerful mage that will last for quite a long time and hasn't received neither enhancements nor Series Boss Bonuses yet, making her potentially very future proof though that's up to speculation. Being locked to non-elemental damage can make her a lot worse quite quickly especially later on when many mages have 3~4 elemental options (e.g. Sol has Dark, Fire, Light and non-elemental).

Her TMR is great with 60% MAG and her STMR is just a huge MAG dagger. Perhaps it'd be better to keep two copies of her though unless you want a high MAG equip that many units can use. Ultima is definitely one of the best arena units though.

If you cannot spark chain reliably, she receives a massive drop in damage as all of her damage is non-elemental. If that's the case Ultima might not be the best investment for you.

Build + Maths:
    Laevateinn x2 (260 MAG)
    Shiva's Tiara (51 MAG)
    Lotti's Robe (25 DEF/SPR, 30 MAG, 20% MAG, 10% HP)
    Cursed Doll (50 MAG)
    Facade of Balance (45 MAG, 20% MP)
    Untrue Saint (60% MAG) + 30% MAG, 60% MTDW
    Rod Mastery (50% MAG)
    Dark Bond (50% MAG)
    Sworn Six's Pride - Light (40% MAG, 20% HP)

Stats with Shiva 3*:
    7527 HP
    825 MP
    2218 MAG
    257 DEF
    502 SPR

MAG after 100% buff: 2502 MAG

Turn 1: Return + 2502^2 x 7.5 x 2.2 + ( 2502^2 x 10 + 2502^2 x 12.5 ) x 4 = 666690426
    Turn 2: 2502^2 x 15 x 2.2 + ( 2502^2 x 17.5 + 2502^2 x 20 x 2 ) x 4 = 1646381052
    Turn 3: 2502^2 x 20 x 2.2 + 2502^2 x 20 x 3 x 4 = 1777841136
    Turn 4: 2502^2 x 27 x 1.15 = 194373124
    Turn 5: 2502^2 x 20 x 2.2 + 2502^2 x 20 x 3 x 4 = 1777841136
    Turn 6: 2502^2 x 20 x 2.2 + 2502^2 x 20 x 3 x 4 = 1777841136
    Turn 7: 2502^2 x 20 x 2.2 + 2502^2 x 20 x 3 x 4 = 1777841136

Average Turn 1-7: 1374115592
    -> 6% higher than Sophia ( 1,297,673,868 )
    -> 8% lower than Elly ( 1,484,079,362 )

Character Design: 8.5/10
    Sprite: 8.5/10
    Chainer: 9.5/10
    Trust Master Reward: 9.5/10
    STMR: 8.5~9/10
    Arena: 9/10
    Limit Burst: 8.5/10
    Future Proof: 8/10
    Free 2 Play: 9/10
    Pay 2 Play: 9.5/10
    Personal Rating: 8.5/10
    Optimal Rating: 9/10

[On-Banner Reviews]
    [​IMG]Beowulf (5*)

[​IMG]

Working on the weekend hinders me from writing reviews angery bob.

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Jianto, Grinz, Luckenzio and 50 others like this.
  2. Frosty Toast

Frosty Toast Beethoven's Buddy VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    511 684 224
    Leads:
    Event, 2B, Raegen
    first
    Edit: Awesome review Meme, keep up the amazing work as always! I enjoy your review a lot, but make sure ya keep balancing that life of yours with the forum! ;)

Winchester, Seven, 21er and 1 other person like this.
  3. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Warrior of Light Bartz
    It's pretty hard atm and I had to force myself to start writing the review. Working out, working as in actual working, speedrunning and just playing shit I want to play as well as writing reviews isn't as easy as I thought to plan out if every week is scheduled differently :D.

Jianto, Jman1115, Winchester and 6 others like this.
  4. Tumalu

Tumalu Ascended Member

Thanks. Still like Elly and Sophia more although Ultima's LB is cool.

Nimbus3, Seven and Memel0rd like this.
  5. Frosty Toast

Global ID:
    511 684 224
    Leads:
    Event, 2B, Raegen
    Well, don't feel pressured to release these on time to the letter, we all understand being in uni, working, and playing a bunch of stuff as well as maintaining friendships is as hard as it sounds. Understand that we won't hold anything against you if you must take a day (or two) off the forum. Heaven knows you've done enough.

KylarHaern and Cylian like this.
  6. TheHellenist

TheHellenist Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther, High Seraph Ultima
    Thanks Meme! Always a pleasure to read your reviews! ::happy::

Sorry, do you mean that only some of her CDs are good, or that they are all very good?

Wow, this move alone makes me want to pull a second Ultima! Hope I randomly get her one day

Frosty Toast likes this.
  7. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    362 169 161
    Leads:
    Zeno boi
    118?
    I appreciate the hard work you put into your reviews Meme, even if you do have some sort of significant workload hindering you. Just remember that you can take some breaks in reviewing if you find no time for it, other members will surely have some time for those if you don't. The people here can wait, except for Toasty, Toasty can't wait.

Thanks again, and I really think I should pull for her now... ::jake::

Memel0rd and Frosty Toast like this.
  8. Frosty Toast

Global ID:
    511 684 224
    Leads:
    Event, 2B, Raegen
    "Toasty can't wait" he says.
    hmph. Toasty can wait. ::rudecat9:: NEXT REVIEW WHEN

nox, Cylian and PhaseShifter like this.
  9. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    362 169 161
    Leads:
    Zeno boi
    118?
    My point exactly. ::ink::

Frosty Toast likes this.
  10. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lilith/Evt/Evt/Esther/Yuna
    Thanks for the review. Need to spark chain is really the deal breaker for me. Still, her support side is very interesting. I would even call awesome. I still can't quite decide if I want to pull.

11. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Thanks for the review. Just an FFT fan boy and Altima (original english translation of the character on the PS one) is a unit that clears Bloody Moon kai without worrying about apostles is why I pulled. Got three overall and no regrets.

Memel0rd likes this.
  12. Shinma

Shinma Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Kurasame, 2B, TT, Hyoh
    15x
    hey @Memel0rd, why no mention about her support kit? DC/ Full life/Dispelga and curaga for emergency; kind of gives her the ability to rescue fairly well (coupled with the 100% ignore fatal).

Also, she can equip Ace's STMR ::blackmage::

13. Marco Aurelio Vins

Marco Aurelio Vins Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Regina/Esther
    She's the Chow of magic damage dealer

Goooood girl

Gladio likes this.
  14. Toast

Toast Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Quick questions.

When comparing Seraphs damage to elly and sophia, are their set ups also updated or do you take the previous review for the damage.
    Just checking as Seraph is using the new tiara ( 51mag )

Do Elly/Sophia also have an 100% imperil in their damage calculations ?
    Sophia ( 14x damage at max charge * 3 * 2(imperil) = 84 )
    In comparison to Seraphs 80.

Just trying to figure out where seraph edges sophia out ( Curiosity )

15. TheKillingJoke

TheKillingJoke Shenaniganator VIP

Global ID:
    833 586 843
    Leads:
    Anti Morgana Esther Nem1
    Nice read, good overview!
    I want her so bad ::cry:: But... The main man is at the door. Back when the first fft event ran i thought "Ohh, cool looking boss, would be nice as a unit." And now she comes while my resources still recover from Cids banner an dright before HIM. Well, f2p can't have everything. Hell, even whales can't have everything. Good luck pulling and fun using her for those who are lucky enough.

KylarHaern likes this.
  16. toooskies

toooskies Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Sophia uses her 60% imperil on turn 1 and her 100% imperil on turn 5.

Sophia will win if there is an inherent elemental weakness to dark, fire, and probably earth, in terms of damage. In terms of utility, Ultima has a good amount, Sophia has none.

17. M!to

M!to ▀█▀ █ █▄ ▀█▀ VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Zeno / Elly
    In short: Elly > Sophia > Ultima

::rudecat18::

18. happysavage

happysavage Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Randi, Esther, Sylvie, Gladio, KM
    Thanks for the review Meme! Always a good read!

I pulled one of her when using some tickets for KM. I was planning on not pulling for another mage until Sol, but I’m wondering if it’d be a better use of resources to pull for her here and then not pull until CG Dark Fina. Any ideas if Ultima will be able to handle trials until then? I can spark chain every turn because I spent a ton of time with switch control on iOS when Kurasame came out so that’s not an issue. I currently have 2 TTs, 1 Mediena, 1 Christine, and 1 Emperor as far as 7 star mages go. Guessing we’re going to get to a point where none of them will be enough fairly soon though. So this might be a banner to go for. Thoughts?

19. toooskies

toooskies Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Honestly because of Ultima’s utility and Sophia’s innate survivability, I’d order them the other way.

nox likes this.
  20. Arekusu

Arekusu VIP VIP

If you have Sophia’s STMR she out damages Elly, and she’s a heck a lot bulkier than either of the other 2. So it’s not ALWAYS true that Elly is the best.