1. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

2. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Luka [Final Fantasy: BE]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Ephemeral God VIP

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    She's the mistress who protects the waters in the land of Olderion. That's right we're talking about Luka and how well she compares in the current Global meta as usual leave all comments, and questions below. And as usual, enjoy the review. :]

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*] | [​IMG] [6*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Water God's Protection (Materia): MP/SPR +25%, +25% resistance to Water
    Limit Break: AoE ~1000 HP Heal w/ 1.8x Mod & AoE 3 Turn +40% SPR -> AoE ~1120 HP Heal w/ 3x Mod & AoE 3 Turn +64% SPR

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    4* 627 / 1900 (210) 35 / 107 (45) 22 / 66 (14) 23 / 69 (14) 23 / 71 (14) 29 / 88 (14) 8 1
    5* 815 / 2470 (240) 46 / 140 (60) 28 / 86 (16) 30 / 90 (16) 30 / 92 (16) 38 / 114 (16) 10 1
    6* 1060 / 3211 (390) 60 / 182 (85) 37 / 112 (26) 37 / 112 (26) 40 / 120 (26) 49 / 149 (26) 12 1

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Curaga ST ~800 HP Heal w/ 3.4x Mod 9 1 [****]
    Cleanse ST Cure Virus 5 7 [****]
    MP +20% Boosts users MP stat by 20% - 58 [****]
    Stona ST Cure Petrify 5 12 [*****]
    Regenerate AoE ~1150 HP Heal w/ 8x Mod split over 3 Turns 12 41 [*****]
    Water God's Breath 180% AoE 1 Hit Water Magic Attack 20 64 [*****]
    Raise ST Revive with 30% HP 12 80 [*****]
    Aquafresh ST ~60 HP Heal w/ 1.2x Mod per Turn) & Recover 5% MP per Turn - 1 [******]
    Priestess Miracle AoE ~1000 HP Heal w/ 3.4x Mod & AoE Cure Poison, Blind, Sleep, Silence, Paralyze, Confuse 25 26 [******]
    SPR +30% Boosts users SPR by 30% - 49 [******]
    Water Barrier AoE 3 Turn +70% Water Resist 22 91 [******]
    Deep Blue AoE 5 Turn +45% DEF/SPR 57 100 [******]
    Pros:
    Can Heal All Status Aliments: It's always welcomed to see a healer going above and beyond the standard of what Esuna can cover for them. With Luka, she's able to cure all status aliments (most in one move) and even the more rarer ones being Petrify, and Virus. Luka however takes the mile a little better cause she also heals while doing so. Her move Priestess Miracle is basically the same as Tilith move from the BF collab.

Regenerate: This actually has a real high heal value. Which is what makes this move amazing to help team stay stable in combat. Regenerate with the
    combination of her Priestess Miracle would basically be a dual casted Curaja going off on your team for 3 turns every time your turn ends which is great to use overall.

MP Refresh: As a healer, MP is one of the most important things you'll need to handle yourself accordingly. Luka has this as while as a small HP regen which is good cause with the small MP regen she can keep herself afloat longer in battle. It was really nice to see her get a ability that's usually given to attacker units in her own unique kind of way.

Cons:
    Slow-ish Start: For the newer players who can't zip up their units to 4* Level 1, to 6* Level 100 in a blink of a eye. She starts off kinda slow. Not as bad as units before who feel slow to use she infact would have the best start out of all them cause she starts with Curaga right off the bat. But, she doesn't get any AoE heals til later on in her 5* line. But in all, her slow start isn't even bad to be honest with you. A minor gripe at best.

No HP Passive: You know what I saw whenever I see this. In the meta we are in right now. A natural HP passive is always a make or break call for a unit in terms of survival. Even if she had gotten something as small as a HP +10% in her natural movepool it would've warranted her better results for what she needs to do.

PvP Arena:
    Would you believe that Luka would be solid here? She's actually solid here cause of Regenerate + Priestess Miracle being such a strong heal combination together. Not to mention, Regenerate would not be banned if there was a lock on White Magic moves cause Regenerate is a ability, and not classified as such. She also has good defensive buffs if your team needs it. But, most battles are usually over in a few turns if you have a experienced team.

Trust Mastery Award:
    Her TM is good for sure. Namely what you'd want for other healers that you may wanna use in a team. It also comes with a niche water resist which may help in team of specific bosses who do water based attacks which gives them the protection that they need. So, I would farm this TM for your healers if I were you.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Santa Roselia
    • Santa Roselia has a higher total SPR boost than Luka. (50% on Santa Roselia, 30% on Luka)
    • Luka supports the team much better than Santa Roselia.
    • Santa Roselia has a HP passive, while Luka doesn't.
    • Luka can raise allies, Santa Roselia cannot.
    Overall Verdict: Luka wins this one cause she covers the main aspect of being a good healer, and that's helping your teammates. Santa Roselia has the problem with being selfish with most of her buffs, the best she could do is Entrust to a teammate and get the buffs that way. But, Luka does just about all of what you need and some. Great heals, regen, buffs, and even revives allies. So, I would give this one to Luka for sure. On a base heal, Santa Roselia still does heal more. But, Luka does everything else better.

[​IMG] - Refia
    • Luka can heal status aliments, and HP at the same time while Refia has the do one or the other.
    • Refia has a stronger raise than Luka.
    • Refia has a HP passive, while Luka doesn't.
    • Refia has innate resistances to aliments, while Luka doesn't.
    Overall Verdict: These two are kinda on par with each other and it's hard for me to even pick a clear winner here. Cause the two of them have so many different niches that overlapped potential points I could make. So, I would have to say that these two are pretty much tied. In terms of pure healing, Luka can do more with the combination of Regenerate + Priestess Miracle can that's again two heals going off per turn while Refia can cast 1, and only one heal. But, Refia on the other hand can not be stopped by any means when she's performing the role that she's trying to do. With her having resistances to the aliments that would stop her while Luka can be easily stopped if she were to be targeted by a statused attack. So, I would have to say depending on the structure on your team is the most recommended healer for it. Cause Refia doesn't flat out beat Luka. And Luka doesn't flat out beat Refia.

Conclusion:
    Luka would be a good healer for anything really. So, I recommend summoning her if you can. Even if you have Refia, I could see Luka having a relevance depending on the nature of your team and what you wanna use. So, I would summon for Luka. She's a great healer, and good support unit.

Felon, Ian, Breno and 12 others like this.
  2. Takumi Kuzuryu

Takumi Kuzuryu Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Freyvia
    Awesome review Jet!! I would love to pull Luka! Hopefully I could get both her and Dark Fina~

Syuri likes this.
  3. Lucas_1206

Lucas_1206 Active Member Supporter

I think Refia would still be a better unit because of Embolden

4. Diego Vargas

Diego Vargas Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive
    especially since phys atk is the meta really.

5. Xshock

Xshock Active Member

The best healer i got was wwfina (she 3* base) , not refia tilith or santa ros , hope i could get luka however base 4* should be hard to pull and i don't want all in my tics and lapis for this banner.

6. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Ephemeral God VIP

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
  7. Xshock

Xshock Active Member

My mistake, btw did you know when we got curaja ? I think we got it from fat chocobo shop.

8. Sir Vincent

Sir Vincent The eternal student Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Shadow 200 ATK
    8th island for 200 quartzs.

Xshock likes this.
  9. Popchaser

Popchaser Member

i already maxed out Rfia and see no need to max Luka even if i pull her. but I really want Dark Fina!!
    WW Fina is useless if you got Refia or Luka.

10. Skal

Skal Ascended Member

If, and that is a big if, you have dualcast then I would give the advantage to Refia since Luka cannot use it for her interesting heal (them being specials and not magic).

11. 32_Footsteps

32_Footsteps Well-Known Member

Hmm... in PvP Arena, I would give the slightest edge to Luka. Lance or Osmose Blade can completely wipe out a healer's MP, but Luka can recover it back whereas Refia becomes dead weight.

KoS likes this.
  12. bwompX2

bwompX2 Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fryevia, Tidus, Noctis
    Thanks for the quick turnaround on these reviews and the work on the wiki, Jet.

Jet Stingren likes this.
  13. MartyrsDieYoung

MartyrsDieYoung Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    Luneth
    I just pulled Luka, been using wwfina. My only concern with Luka is survivability, WWF can take a beating with chilling auras.

14. Apollo$

Apollo$ Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Most fights don't last more than 3 rounds with a well constructed and equipped team. If mp is a problem within 3 turns i would seriously consider reviewing your team.

As for osmosis and lance destroying your mp... Use some soul pots. Spirit reduces the effects of mp drains if I'm not mistaken. Physical teams seem to accel in arenas when compared with Mage teams due to the later having a lower hp and defense than their physical counterparts. Sure the 5% mp regen is nice but is it truly necessary in arenas? Let's say it does happen..poof no mp... Well best case scenario(BIS 6*max + shiva)should be in the ballpark of 300 mp or 15 at the conclusion of your turn.

Well now you can't heal or do anything but attack or defend for turn two so following the end of your turn you get 15 mp. And bam enemy team unloads on you. Ok you survive... Barely. Beginning of turn three. Well you got 15 mp but that's not sufficient to cast miracle so you are faced with a choice. Cast regen and get a bandaid for more turns but expend mp to the point you must wait for two more turns to use miracle. Or hold off and get enough mp for miracle. Remember up top? Most fights don't last longer then 3 turns maybe four. Either way best case scenario... Her 5% affords you one additional heal at the expense of a 45% attack buff to help your attackers. That alone should be sufficient. Add in refias natural loss of control immunities on top of a full Rez...(brutal if you combine it with Cecil.)

Keep in mind the above is a flawless scenario for Luka that takes most players a couple months to be able to BIS characters, some times longer. So to be fair let me do a senario favoring Refia.

Noctis uses fire flask. Luka sinks to the bottom of the lake never to be seen again. At least she's regaining 5% mp each turn m I rite guys?

This is merely my own opinion, analysis, preference, what ever you wish to call it but to me it was a waste of time even comparing Refia and luka. The best thing Luka has to offer is 70% water resist and that's only a 20% increase over current capability and to make matters worse how often do you anticipate using said skill? Just some things to consider before sinking all your tics and lapis. Ima save mine

15. nocturn

nocturn Well-Known Member

CYMERA_20170106_133303.jpg CYMERA_20170106_133233.jpg
    awesome review!!
    btw i just pulled luka and my only healer is lenna (maxed 5*) with 226 spr
    should i max luka and replace hir for lenna?
    Kefka and exdeath as well?
    And isn't it bad to enhance luka wih lenna or bartz !?
    (Max 6* , completely useless i think )

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2017
  16. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Struggler VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2 Olive Tidus
    If only I had Tilith or Refia... but being stuck with Lenna/Rosa/Garnet I hope I will pull 1 or 2 Lukas. Wish me Luka... luck!

Goddess Nyx likes this.
  17. himefei

himefei Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ashe
    Just spent 15k gems but didn't see her

18. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

We don't have 8th island yet tho right?

19. Lukahn

Lukahn Ascended Member

And it's called Aquafresh!!!

32_Footsteps and bwompX2 like this.
  20. Alex Dickson

Alex Dickson Active Member

Glad Luka was close with Refia. Pulled 2 Luka just now, but I've put loads of effort into training Refia towards 6* so really don't want to do it again for another healer.