1. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

2. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Mercedes [Final Fantasy BE]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Ephemeral God VIP

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    She's a pirate who originally was apart of a high family. Til a disaster ruined her home and she took upon being a pirate to make sure she had a safe way to support herself. That's right, we're talking about Mercedes and how well she compares in the Global meta. As usual, leave comments & questions about Mercedes. And as usual, enjoy the review.

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*] | [​IMG] [6*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Viking Axe (Weapon): ATK +125, Water element added to attacks.
    Limit Break: 270% AoE 1 Hit Water Physical Attack -> 390% AoE 1 Hit Water Physical Attack

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    4* 691 / 2094 (210) 28 / 86 (35) 28 / 86 (18) 23 / 70 (14) 22 / 68 (14) 23 / 70 (14) 8 1
    5* 899 / 2723 (240) 37 / 112 (40) 37 / 112 (24) 30 / 92 (16) 29 / 89 (16) 30 / 92 (16) 10 1
    6* 1168 / 3540 (390) 48 / 146 (65) 48 / 146 (34) 40 / 120 (26) 38 / 116 (26) 40 / 120 (26) 12 1

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Water 120% ST 1 Hit Water Magic Attack 3 1 [****]
    Escape 100% Chance Flee From Battle 4 9 [****]
    Mug 120% ST Physical Attack & Steal Item (1.5x Chance) 8 18 [****]
    ATK +20% Boosts users ATK stat by 20% - 60 [****]
    Watera 140% AoE 1 Hit Water Magic Attack 9 27 [*****]
    HP +20% Boosts users HP by 20% - 36 [*****]
    Aquan Killer 50% Physical Damage vs Aquan Enemies - 66 [*****]
    Barrage 4x 80% RT Physical Attack 16 80 [*****]
    Axe Mastery +50% ATK when equipped with Axe - 1 [******]
    Waterga 180% AoE 1 Hit Water Magic Attack 20 48 [******]
    Warcry AoE 3 Turn +50% ATK 24 78 [******]
    Sea King's Chop 270% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack & ST 3 Turn -20% Water Resist 45 100 [******]
    Pros:
    Amazing ATK Passives: Mercedes is one of the few units to come in this game to have a innate mastery which great amplifies her damage when she attacks. She even does get a extra 20% boost which rounds her up to 70% ATK boost when she's starts off at 6* which is pretty great. Given the standard of ATK up passives from our 6* is 50% she clearly breaks that standard and makes it better and that's namely due to her innate mastery.

Highest Applicable ATK up buff: Not really a super super amazing thing. But, it is still worth noting for the extra damage. The highest buff we had before was 45% coming from Embolden. Mercedes move Warcry is 5% stronger being at 50%, the damage isn't too dramatically change over all when it's factored in. But, it's still worth noting for her. Every little bit of extra damage helps.

Good DPS: Mercedes isn't bad when it comes to dealing damage. Her two main best attacking moves would be Barrage, and Sea King's Chop which if she's geared up enough can leave some good amounts of damage on the enemy. These moves have relatively good mods on them which helps her a bit better.

Cons:
    Hard to Build: Mercedes if it's not obvious enough needs axes to use her true potential. Sad thing for us that there isn't to many good free axes she can use to make good use of her power. We fortunately, have the Golden Axe from the ADV colo but that's only ATK +55, which helps but isn't as strong as some of the other free items that we have received in the game.

Missing Meta Essentials: Mercedes is a physical attacker. But, she's missing some of the more common/important things to make her a true stick to any team. Things like moves with -DEF ignore, solid debuffs and the like. She's just pure damage without any added niche. Which hinders her a bit when it comes to trying to deal massive amounts of damage cause that's what you'd want your physical attacker to do. She does have a water debuff on Sea King's Chop but it's element-less and the only way she would get the extra damage is if she equipped a item that gave water element to her attacks.

PvP Arena:
    Mercedes wouldn't do good here. She's missing alot to actually make her usable here. The main things you'd want from her is at least the ability to use a AoE, or have a move that has -DEF ignore. Which she doesn't have. She does have a good ATK up buff to help service the team. But, provided you have Refia (who's very common in arena) her ATK up buff wouldn't be needed there. She could perhaps be good in focusing down one enemy on the team cause of her relatively high mod on Sea King's Chop. But, other than this. I don't think she has a solid use in PvP Arena.

Trust Mastery Award:
    Viking's Axe feels like a TM just for Mercedes and her alone. Which isn't bad, cause it covers the main missing things she would need to be a strong physical attacker. It gives a amazing +125 ATK boost, and water element. Which is what she needed cause that's a great combine with her Sea King's Chop. If you were truly interested in using Mercedes I would say getting this axe for her would be a great solution to stop the issues she's lacking.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Chizuru
    • Mercedes has a higher max ATK passive than Chizuru (70% on Mercedes, 45% on Chizuru)
    • Chizuru has DEF ignore attacks on both ST, and AoE while Mercedes does not.
    • Chizuru doesn't have any support, while Mercedes at least has Warcry.
    Overall Verdict: While Mercedes does clearly have the higher ATK stat, I would still give overall damage to Chizuru. Namely cause of her -DEF ignore on her attacks. This essentially makes the mod much higher than what's it presented as which Mercedes cannot compete with. Mercedes at her highest is presentable and has nothing extra (-DEF ignore) to otherwise shift the damage. So, I would give damage to Chizuru even if she doesn't have ATK +70% as a passive.

[​IMG] - Delita
    • Mercedes has a much higher total ATK up passive than Delita (70% to 20%)
    • Delita can support the team with debuffs/buffs, while Mercedes can buff.
    • Delita does have DEF ignore on one of his attacks.
    Overall Verdict: Mercedes is better than Delita easily. Even with Delita's -DEF ignore on Northswain Strike it doesn't match up in total damage due to his passive being so low. If he was at least up there like Chizuru then he would've been able to have better damage out there. Delita does play a better support cause he has the ability to at least debuff DEF/SPR and boost MAG/SPR for allies. Mercedes can only boost ATK to her allies making the two interesting to use together. But, as comparisons go. Mercedes for the damage, Delita for support roles.

Conclusion:
    Mercedes isn't a bad unit, nor is she good. She while having one of the higher total passives in the game. Doesn't have much to use that good power of hers. If she had a better kit of moves like -DEF ignore, AoE, or having Sea King's Chop be water element by default. She would've shined better in this meta. She's not bad if you're just starting out, but if you have a good and developed team then she isn't that much worth leveling.

Rastaps4, Birdfh, Viride and 4 others like this.
  2. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Struggler VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2 Olive OK Tidus
    "She's not bad if you're just starting out, but if you have a good and developed team then she isn't that much worth leveling."

A pity then, looks like I can't pull a good dpser at all. Stupid 10+1 (lack of) luck!

2ugLee likes this.
  3. Jet Stingren

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    You know, you can post this in unit builds. Instead of this review.

4. Shahnaz

Shahnaz Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Goes well with a unit review, oh well w/e.

5. Jet Stingren

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    Seems more beneficial that way. Cause people wouldn't really see it if there turns out to be alot of comments.

And I am not crying over it, it seems better for you.

6. Crixus

Crixus Ascended Member Supporter

Awesome review. Just pulled her on my Daily Summon this morning. A shame that she's not great. I'm still trying to get a powerful DPS. For now it looks like I'm stuck leveling up Chizuru to max.

Hope likes this.
  7. Tetsuro

Tetsuro Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elza
    At the rate she's going, when she gets a 7* awakening they will have to change this game's rating to MA

Vayhn likes this.
  8. Dion Tan

Dion Tan Active Member

Global ID:
    435 824 494
    Hi, i have yet to pull Chizuru. Current Physical Team is

1) Refia
    2) Dark Knight Cecil with Dual Wield and Barrage TMR
    3) Bartz
    4) CoD
    5) Warrior of Light with Hp +30% TMR

Should i replace Bartz with Mercedes cos i just pulled her. Is she better than Bartz?

P.S: Dont ask why i dint pick Cecil :P

9. VENDETTA

VENDETTA Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    336 864 246
    Leads:
    Luneth
    I like her. Leveling her atm. Going to go all BiS.

Vayhn likes this.
  10. Gardener

Gardener Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Yun, Olive, Fryevia, Aileen
    Instead of spending my lapis on pulls, I spent it on NRG to farm the enchanted maze for gigantuar. :) So I leveled up my Mercedes to the max today and finally have the high DPS attacker i've been looking for.

11. Barbatos

Barbatos New Member

IMO, Mercedes is decent without her TM. Having her TM on her would make her as good as other DPS.

I pulled 3, now do I breed 3 Viking Axe or just one as I don't have Zidane (Yes, it kinda suck not having easy-to-pull unit with good TMR)

12. Gardener

Gardener Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Yun, Olive, Fryevia, Aileen
    I finally pulled my first Zidane today! Took me long enough. I say keep all three if you have the slots, since Lani's TM is Equip Axe if you get that later on.

13. Breno

Breno Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    F.Veritas,2B,Tidus,Lunera,T.Terra
    I pulled her today, I was very excited. Even if she lacks some abilities to be a great damage dealer, I am still going to use her. Thanks for the great review Jet.

Gardener likes this.
  14. Troxny

Troxny Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    037 821 228
    Leads:
    Alt ID : 689 946 198
    Perhaps worth to mention that in the future you can enhance her skills in the future, giving her Sea King's Chop 75% water debuff instead of 25. Her buff give 100% dmg to all and grant resistance to atk dmg debuffs. And she can gain 100% atk when having axe equipped instead of 50%. Also worth mentioning that Tidus has a great water attack, so if you are lucky enough to get him he and Mercedes will be great together.

15. Kosiciel

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2 Olive OK Tidus
    "In the future", tho. It could be months! But good to know, thanks. Now if only we could get some powerful (ATT 80+) non-TMR axes...

16. Cahir

Cahir Active Member

Got 2 of her lately, guess I will just save them and wait for Tidus and those enchantments though.

17. Revenge

Revenge Very Cute Member VIP Supporter

Leads:
    A2
    I also got 2 of her, but im not leveling her. I will save her because of the TMR. It might be useful someday.

18. Draken

Draken Ascended Member

it's kinda late but u guys think that combinate dual wield with kitchen knife is a good move?
    1,8x dmg with -25% def reduction is better that 2,7x dmg? I'd like to hear your thoughts, guys.

19. Kosiciel

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2 Olive OK Tidus
    It is 2,4x dmg multiplier then, I guess, so it's worse. Mercedes dualwielding her TMR could be quite powerful, but still - where is AoE...

20. tatunga

tatunga Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    1015 atk aileen